Dynadot

HUGE DOMAINS SNIPING GODADDY CLOSEOUTS

NameSilo
Watch
So annoying Godaddy hasn't stopped Huge Domains from sniping Godaddy Closeouts with their automated tools, no way a human bidder can win a even closeout.

First they were sniping with the backorders, now you cut that out, and you are letting them snipe via automated tools.

So what do you say @Joe Styler , you want to even the playing field a bit, as your partners are bidding everything in a split second, from $12, to $11, and bidding everything else into the hundreds from a simple bid. I would rather pay a Huge Domains surcharge at checkout.

Huge Domains has an unfair advantage on the auction platform, essentially taxing every user for using it with their automated access advantages given to them thru the house.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I have not been letting them have their closeouts, simply bidding $12, and waiting for their auto bot to engage, and taking them up to $1xx range has been effective 85% of the time like clockwork
I've being playing in the same way, if I have time. Unfortunately I'm not a bot... Yes it works. Once I failed to increase my bid on-time (was busy doing something in another tab), and HD won paying just some 2 figures for $2000+ appraised nonsense domain :(
On many occasions, there is nothing more to do after placing an initial bid - at least 2 other bots will join and do all the job.
I did not see any changes in the behavior of hd bot recently. If anything - they tried to get more domains *at any cost* - using too high proxies (not an usual 9-11% of gd appraisal value). In one case they paid ~40%. But maybe it is just a coincidence.

Last edited:
•••
I've being playing in the same way. Yes it works. Once I failed to increase my bid on-time (was busy doing something in another tab), and HD won paying just some 2 figures for $2000+ appraised nonsense domain :(
On many occasions, there is nothing more to do after placing an initial bid - at least 2 other bots will join and do all the job.
I did not see any changes in the behavior of hd bot recently. If anything - they tried to get more domains *at any cost* - using too high proxies (not an usual 9-11% of gd appraisal value). In one case they paid ~40%. But maybe it is just a coincidence.
They must have a human monitor watching such bids, in paying 40%, maybe it was a domain they previously sold, and only they had data on it, which I am sure is the case for many of their buys, as from the sheer volume of their lower level sells, they must have a lot of buyers who abandon their domains back into the stream after a few years.

As you stated this is the only way to close the huge domains closeout loophole, by not allowing it to get there in the first place, and making them pay 10x the closeout rate.

Last edited:
•••
And I am still trying to understand the reason why folks do frequently place initial bids 7-8 days in advance... If there is a good domain inside - why let all the world know in advance? Even if it is only antibot game (making them pay as much as possible, still being prepared to pay your own highest bid amount just in case) - it is what I am sometimes playing with - then the bots (like hd) will join in last minutes only... And, bot owners are in all cases humans - they will have a number of days to review these particular domains, which is not necessary good.

Last edited:
•••
maybe if enough exp auctions get bid up they may realize their model doesn't work and will stop or hold back.

until then, i would caution bidding on a name unless you really like it - you never know what there limit may be in the future - and no one wants to to be stuck with some of the garbage they are buying.

What's funny is, they may assume a name is great if there are multiple bidders, LMFAO

•••
from what I have seen they buy almost everything that is:

Aged 8y +
$1500 + GD value

if anyone has seen anything different please post.

•••
And I am still trying to understand the reason why folks do frequently place initial bids 7-8 days in advance... If there is a good domain inside - why let all the world know in advance? Even if it is only antibot game (making them pay as much as possible, still being prepared to pay your own highest bid amount just in case) - it is what I am sometimes playing with - then the bots (like hd) will join in last minutes only... And, bot owners are in all cases humans - they will have a number of days to review these particular domains, which is not necessary good.

The Bot game is bigger than most think. DIQ or HD bot, for example monitoring each and every domain, newly reg, parked, developed or in a drop phase, indexing dns changes, behavior exchange, traffic measurement, spam or not, never developed, purchased, designed to impact performance or hurt businesses, decrease conversion (never buy), rebuild inventory, ... hundreds of key factors...everything human doesn’t need to be involved. It’s sometime called Domain name identity, character.

•••
maybe if enough exp auctions get bid up they may realize their model doesn't work and will stop or hold back.

until then, i would caution bidding on a name unless you really like it - you never know what there limit may be in the future - and no one wants to to be stuck with some of the garbage they are buying.

What's funny is, they may assume a name is great if there are multiple bidders, LMFAO
The downside is you pay $12 plus renewal the 15% of the time a bot doesn’t show. Otherwise they are playing offbidder behaviour, and if they see 2 bidders battling for a low priced expired domain, then the cobra strikes, as that provides them some sort of confirmation.

As Tony said, and others have noticed this is no mom and pop operation, it is extensive. I am sure they have daily budgets in place to protect themselves, and by not allowing names to go to closeout, and in doing so making them pay the worth of 4-8 closeouts on a single domain, we are messing with the way they have been doing things. The same way they make us overpay, we just throwing it back at them. They will have to adapt, as they can’t continue to pay such prices.

•••
agree, especially if they start paying 5-10% of GD values on almost all names - the math wont make sense as their turn rate is most likely 2%

and the bots aren't smart enough to stay clear of pure garbage names

•••
I am wondering if anyone is noticing huge domains a little bit less in the auctions lately?
Recently I also see more auctions not infected with hd bot...

https://aboutus.godaddy.net/newsroo...er-Steps-Down-for-Health-Reasons/default.aspx

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz., Aug. 1, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- GoDaddy (NYSE: GDDY) and its Board of Directors has named Aman Bhutani, previously President of Brand Expedia Group, as the company's new CEO, effective September 4th, 2019. Scott Wagner, Chief Executive Officer, will step down for health reasons.

Coincidence? Checking $$$ coming in and out, as well as all partner relations and NDA agreements (if any) should be one of the 1st things for any new CEO...

Last edited:
•••
agree, especially if they start paying 5-10% of GD values on almost all names - the math wont make sense as their turn rate is most likely 2%

and the bots aren't smart enough to stay clear of pure garbage names
Yes, they have been using the data of people who actually put the work in for those off key, trending, or brandable terms.

Time to make them pay for their shortcut.

Recently I also see more auctions not infected with hd bot...

https://aboutus.godaddy.net/newsroo...er-Steps-Down-for-Health-Reasons/default.aspx

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz., Aug. 1, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- GoDaddy (NYSE: GDDY) and its Board of Directors has named Aman Bhutani, previously President of Brand Expedia Group, as the company's new CEO, effective September 4th, 2019. Scott Wagner, Chief Executive Officer, will step down for health reasons.

Coincidence?
This guy was previously at Expedia I believe, I doubt he would interfere with individual departments so quickly, I think Huge Domains is getting stuck with a lot of $1xx turds that they have been used to getting at closeout prices.

Funny their bidder id changed, they must be changing how they do things, as howbthey had everyone else’s number, now people have their number, and are making them pay.

We all know you can pay hundreds for these closeout type domains, they are sub $30 type flyers that are hit and miss kind of domains. It’s a gamblers roll of the dice, you can’t pay 10% of a perceived appraisal value. I can’t see Huge domains using all their profits to stock up on dead turd inventory. If I was them I would be taking a portion of my profits out of domains, given they are headed to a portfolio of 7 million domains, and many businesses all focused purely on the domain sector. If a recession hits their bottom line will be deeply affected, as will it be with affected with versign price hikes which they have lobbied against, but their are to many corrupt players who have deeper pockets on the other side so that is an impossible fight to win.

Last edited:
•••
my guess is they tried a sample a year or so ago (when they still got most of them for $11) and found that sample was profitable - so they did it again, but this time they will be paying more and i assume its not going to be profitable. lol

•••
These F####Kers are back doing what they do best, must have shut down to figure out why they were suddenly paying so much.

•••
These F####Kers are back doing what they do best, must have shut down to figure out why they were suddenly paying so much.
Do you have examples of domains they sniped today? Or, that you suspect they sniped?

•••
They have been dormant bidding past few days, the closeouts were closing out, and other domains were settling without bidder 913933.

Last edited:
•••
They have been dormant bidding past few days, the closeouts were closing out, and other domains were settling without bidder 91933.
I see 913932 ... In any case, after "normal" bidding within some days - many customers (myself including) will now switch back to "play-with-hugedomains" mode. Not a big issue really :)

•••
I see 913932 ... In any case, after "normal" bidding within some days - many customers (myself including) will now switch back to "play-with-hugedomains" mode. Not a big issue really :)
I think you were first to notice their absence for a few days, well prices are way up since they came back to bidding, compared to when they were on vacation.

Last edited:
•••
when they were on vacation
/conspiracy theory begin/
...or were renegotiating some special deal, which they had to do, as the new GoDaddy CEO started to work
/conspiracy theory end/

•••
/conspiracy theory begin/
...or were renegotiating some special deal, which they had to do, as the new GoDaddy CEO started to work
/conspiracy theory end/
Haha entirely plausible conspiracy theory.

•••
Haha entirely plausible conspiracy theory.
Well with them being down the 2 days I noticed, pricing was considerably different without them pushing up bids, and drawing out auctions over an hour. This is just a big prop, prices are artificially propped up, and newbies keep buying into their bids. Seeing what a difference the marketplace which is more of a true representation without that single blanket bidder really changed how prices develop. Basically you are paying a 20-100% Huge Domains premium over there right now.

•••
Huge Domains ran up a bidder over $6xx in additional bids in a 2 way bidding war for walkwithus.com

Huge Domains lost the auction, but made the bidder pay dearly with their time, and money by continuing to min bid the bid.

Last edited:
•••
Huge Domains ran up a bidder over $6xx in additional bids in a 2 way bidding war for walkwithus.com

Huge Domains lost the auction, but made the bidder pay dearly with their time, and money by continuing to min bid the bid.
The buyer must still have seen a profit in the name or maybe they were an enduser. I wouldn't have pair more than 100 for that name.

•••
Let me share a new experience at Godaddy Closeouts.

I wanted to buy a $5 name right now which I watched since yesterdays closeouts search.
Checkboxed all three necessary fields (BTW wouldn´t two boxes be enough?), clicked the submit button and went to my shopping cart. This was empty, I went back.
My watchlist did no more contain the name, I searched the domain in the whole inventory and found nothing. Tried several times without success.

Ok it is possible that another user was one millisecond faster. Minimum probability but possible.
But what if a bot beat me. Do you know if bots meanwhile check personal bidding lists at Godaddy auctions or observe the way between submitting a domain for purchase and its arrival in the shopping cart? Sounds insane, just an idea.

•••
Let me share a new experience at Godaddy Closeouts.

I wanted to buy a $5 name right now which I watched since yesterdays closeouts search.
Checkboxed all three necessary fields (BTW wouldn´t two boxes be enough?), clicked the submit button and went to my shopping cart. This was empty, I went back.
My watchlist did no more contain the name, I searched the domain in the whole inventory and found nothing. Tried several times without success.

Ok it is possible that another user was one millisecond faster. Minimum probability but possible.
But what if a bot beat me. Do you know if bots meanwhile check personal bidding lists at Godaddy auctions or observe the way between submitting a domain for purchase and its arrival in the shopping cart? Sounds insane, just an idea.
This sounds more like a godaddy shopping cart, sign in issue.

At the $5 range, nobody would be sniping, it either expired as in timed out, or you added it when you weren’t signed in, and when you did sign in, it kicked it out of your cart, where it went into the twilight zone for a few hours, given it was a $5 name, it could have expired during that time lapse.

•••
I was logged in all the time, double-checked. This $5 name will expire in a few hours from now.

Probably it is "just" a bug. Now I found the name in my watch section again, repeated the process with the same result. The same happens when I try to order other closeout names from my watchlist which are priced higher (that´s why I didn´t try before).

Same experience anybody?

•••
Now a HTML window opened with a Godaddy questionnaire while bulk searching names in the registration section, still logged in. Headline:
We need your help. A minute of your time will make a big difference!
What were you trying to accomplish on GoDaddy.com today?​

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back