NameSilo

advice How to opt out of the 60-day domain lock imposed by ICANN

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
According to the new policy, a WHOIS change, e.g. to the registrant or the email address, is handled as a domain transfer would.
There is, however, a way to opt out from the 60 day lockdown period, and it differs from registrar to registrar.
Yes. You can opt out by making a preference change in your Account Settings. Additionally, a pop up will appear when you make a change to your contacts that will give you the option of opting out of the lock. If you opt out of the transfer lock, you will not have to wait 60 days to transfer it (but will still have to wait for any other transfer lock to lapse)...
Read More

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
that is the first usefull post I read at domaingang

•••
@Acroplex,

I get that this is a burden on domainers, and I haven't been looking forward to this change, but it is intended to stop domain theft.

What purpose does it serve if the major registrars are making its protection nonexistent?

The registrars should only support opting out if your account has had security (2FA or stronger) enabled for at least 30 days. That is the only sensible scenario whereby these registrars should be offering an "opt out" option.

What is going on?

Name.com : How to opt out of the upcoming 60-day domain lock down imposed by ICANN

eNom : Transfer policy and the “60-day domain lockdown” snafu by ICANN

Uniregistry : Opting out of the new 60-day “domain lock down” ICANN imposed

•••
Updated WHOIS on 2 of my domains at Godaddy yesterday. Got a godaddy verification email shortly after which explicitly told me that my domains would be locked for 60 days if I click on the verification link to update my WHOIS unless I opt out prior to changing my WHOIS. Cool... So after looking for 30 minutes in my Godaddy account settings I simply couldn't find where I can select this new "opt out" option? @Joe Styler Do you know how people can opt out from this 60 day lockdown on Godaddy?

Last edited:
•••
If you are transferring your Domain Name due to a change in your hosting provider, in most cases this is not necessary and it can take much longer to transfer the name to another registrar than to change your hosting within your Account Manager.

•••
I too would like to know if GD has even decided to follow procedure and allow people to opt out.

•••
Updated WHOIS on 2 of my domains at Godaddy yesterday. Got a godaddy verification email shortly after which explicitly told me that my domains would be locked for 60 days if I click on the verification link to update my WHOIS unless I opt out prior to changing my WHOIS. Cool... So after looking for 30 minutes in my Godaddy account settings I simply couldn't find where I can select this new "opt out" option? @Joe Styler Do you know how people can opt out from this 60 day lockdown on Godaddy?

i have the same question too

please help @Joe Styler

•••
If you are transferring your Domain Name due to a change in your hosting provider, in most cases this is not necessary and it can take much longer to transfer the name to another registrar than to change your hosting within your Account Manager.
This is one reason why you should never register your names through your hosting provider.

•••
The thing is Godaddy had this extra 60 day lock when you change your contact info even before the ICANN rules.. it was an internal rule that they had... I doubt they have an opt-out option

•••
The thing is Godaddy had this extra 60 day lock when you change your contact info even before the ICANN rules.. it was an internal rule that they had... I doubt they have an opt-out option

Used to be able to email them and request an unlock. They always did it for me. I haven't tried since Dec. 1 though.

•••

Yes you are right but don't you think that now that the ICANN has regulated it they will have to do something about it? Give people the ability to opt out?
Well I hope so

•••
Thanks for this info.
Luckily several registrars give the opt-out option (no 60 day lock after a free push).
This is called that your registrar "acts as adesinated agent".

I hope several will follow this example..

I read here somewhere on the forum that Namesilo automatically functions as "designated agent".So there will be automatically no transfer out lock for 60 days after free push or change of contact info. However old and new whois have to approve by email.
(As it's in their rules => you can't opt out of them being 'designated agent' )

More info concerning Namesilosee in this thread => https://www.namepros.com/threads/do...ith-any-change-to-contact-information.984043/ post 27

IN ANY CASE I HOPE GODADDY WILL also give possibility after push or contactchange NOT TO HAVE 60 days lock again.
@Joe Styler

Last edited:
•••
I Phoned to GODADDY , (premier accounts, who are not there on the 25th), bu t tomorrow they are there.

I got the following explanation ==>
When a free PUSH is DONE (with changement of contacts to new owner) OR when somebody pushed to you long ago domains without clicking that the contacts had to change at that time to your contacts (so that I now have to change the contacts), the FOLLOWING IS IMPORTANT =>
An email is sent to the previous owner/whois WHEN YOU MAKE CHANGEMENTS TO CONTACTSof OLD NAMES YOU HAVE, AND in CASE OF PUSH WITH CHANGE OF CONTACTS : THEN BOTH HAVE TO APPROVE THAT CONTACTS CHANGE.
VERY IMPORTANT IS THAT THE LOOSING OWNER (or WHOIS-mailowner) approves that lock can be lifted. At that time => THE TRANSFER LOCK is LIFTED !!!! So transfer lock of 60 days is lifted after emailapproval.
From then on , f.i. after 4 days or so :TRANSFER OUT of PUSHED IN domains are transferrable OUT AGAIN.
So there's no 60 days transfer out lock any more from then on.

ANYHOW ==> If the loosing person (the seller) who pushes doesn't agree => and If the domains is/are locked after the change, you can email [email protected] and ask them to unlock the domains. (so lift the transfer lock !.

This is positive news !!!

•••
It appears that, even though many asked, Joe Styler has not come around to help / explain / give guidance. If there were not a sufficient number, here is another reason to not use GD anymore.

•••
It appears that, even though many asked, Joe Styler has not come around to help / explain / give guidance. If there were not a sufficient number, here is another reason to not use GD anymore.
He is probably out of office, many execs take vacation this time of year.

•••

I have considered that..then I saw the fist time he was tagged was on the 3rd of December..Lucky man who such long holidays!!!!

•••
Emailed review60 2 days ago about unlocking some domains, still haven't heard back - how long does it usually take? I have a buyer waiting..

edit: They literally just responded as I posted this. :)

•••

Is he the only person employed by GoDaddy then? :)

•••
Try emailing your registrar.

It may work, you never know

•••
Did we ever hear back on this?

I am speaking with chat agent now to get some help, but it'd be nice for future reference.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back