Dynadot

strategy How to Find Potential End Users?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi,

Do any of you has regularly sell your domain to end users? If so, do you mind share with me in this thread on how find potential end users for your domain?

Regards,
Sjarief

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Free email is always going to come off like a scam.

I use my real email. First of all sending a targeted relevant business offering is not SPAM, as long as you include accurate contact information.

Spam needs to be both Bulk + Unsolicited. It you are sending a relevant business offering to a handful of end users, and follow the guidelines you will be fine.

If you are that worried, put a disclaimer like this

If you aren't interested in this offer, please feel free to ignore this message. We will not contact you again.

Brad

May I ask what email address you guys use when contacting end users?
I dont want to use my primary email (i.e. [email protected]) as I dont want to get it blacklisted by end users who might think I am spamming them.
However, I sent an 'offer' to myself from my gmail account to my hotmail account and it thought it was junk mail :(
How do you overcome this obstacle?

•••
Free email is always going to come off like a scam.

I use my real email. First of all sending a targeted relevant business offering is not SPAM, as long as you include accurate contact information.

Spam needs to be both Bulk + Unsolicited. It you are sending a relevant business offering to a handful of end users, and follow the guidelines you will be fine.

Brad

Thanks Brad.
I went that route a while back, I was very careful, but I got some nasty replies about my email being spam, so thats why I inquired.
I guess I'll give it another shot.
Its really up to who gets the email. If it is a system admin listed in the whois database, they are probably going to tag it as spam.

P.S.
I just saw the last line you added.
I always put something similar.
I usually say this is a one time email.

•••
I have sent out a lot of targetted individual emails and inevitably a very small number of people vent their disapproval but equally a number of people thank me for giving them the opportunity to buy the name, even if they dont actually go ahead to buy!

•••
That sounds like a good time to call em and talk to them.

Here is a response I got from an enduser today after offering him a Keyword+keyword.net that receives 6k exact searches a month for mid $XXX, mind you the singular version of this name is ranked 1 in G and receives less searches/month.

"Not interested now, my internet marketing mgr told me this is a big time scam and definitely not worth the money."

Yeah, endusers have no idea how valuable a domain name is because they listen to their marketing managers taht dont know anything about SEO or development - they are simply concerned about generating demand. I'm kind of pissed but well this is expected - I guess they still dont get it

•••
I have sent out a lot of targetted individual emails and inevitably a very small number of people vent their disapproval but equally a number of people thank me for giving them the opportunity to buy the name, even if they dont actually go ahead to buy!

My situation is very similar. I have sent out a huge number of emails to end users and only one person has written me a bad email back. However, I have had a large number of people, as well as actual buyers, that have emailed me back saying "thank you for the offer but we are not interested at this time."

Remember to be kind in your email and make sure you include the name of the domain/company you are writing to in your subject and body so they know you are for real.

If you are nice to them, they have no reason not to at least be nice back to you. Make note though, if they tell you no and you continue to mail them in the future, this is a sure fire way to begin to get on their bad side. Do what you need to do but make sure you don't contact them again.

•••
I also want to add this: don(t park ypur website but get a hosting and put benefits of having that domain taht is revelant to the business, this can help end a sale because they will almost check what's on right now. For example, if you want to sell pizza.biz to a business, explain them all benefits (short, descriptiveness,...) why dot biz because dot com is already taken... great on business cards, advertising........

•••
When you call them, tell them to give their "marketing manager" the simple test below.

Ask the "marketing manager" to find his/her own butt using both hands.

This one will undoubtedly fail the test.

•••
Unsure of how to price domains for end-users? Well, after having completed my 150th end-user sale since September the other day, I have decided to put together a "cheat sheet" that domainers may safety rely on to decide how to price their domains when approaching end-user prospects.

Generally speaking, you should price at:

* $500-$999 when selling to small startups / developing businesses (12-40 employees, $200K-$1M annual revenue)
* $1000-$1999 when selling to SMBs (40-150 employees, $1M-$25M annual revenue)
* $2000-$3499 when selling to established companies (>150 employees, >$25M annual revenue).

I recently registered a dropped domain ( LLLLLL.COM ) which was originally registered in 2000. I searched for this name in Google and the first result was a company with the name LLLLLL-xxxxx.com ( xxxxx does not represent the company name but is a synonym to "productions", "industry", "group" etc. ) The Logo of this company has only 1 word LLLLLL which i registered and other websites describe the company in most cases only with LLLLLL and not LLLLLL-xxxxx.

After doing some searching i discovered that this company own the domain names LLLLLL.eu and LLLLLLcorp.com The company has around 400 employers and is making around 50-60 millions $ each year.

I searched for LLLLLL trademarks here Trademarks but didn't find any records.

Now i ask myself how much is this domain worth? If the company will be interested in buying this domain, how much should i ask? Should i write en email or a letter per post?

Any idea? Thanks!

•••
I recently registered a dropped domain ( LLLLLL.COM ) which was originally registered in 2000. I searched for this name in Google and the first result was a company with the name LLLLLL-xxxxx.com ( xxxxx does not represent the company name but is a synonym to "productions", "industry", "group" etc. ) The Logo of this company has only 1 word LLLLLL which i registered and other websites describe the company in most cases only with LLLLLL and not LLLLLL-xxxxx.

After doing some searching i discovered that this company own the domain names LLLLLL.eu and LLLLLLcorp.com The company has around 400 employers and is making around 50-60 millions $ each year.

I searched for LLLLLL trademarks here Trademarks but didn't find any records.

Now i ask myself how much is this domain worth? If the company will be interested in buying this domain, how much should i ask? Should i write en email or a letter per post?

Any idea? Thanks!

Try to email them asking if they might be interested in acquiring the domain name. Be kind and professional at the same time, as perfectly explained in previous posts.
Especially don't forget to mention the logo thing, since they have a logo with your LLLLL word but longer and less memorable domain names, having the LLLLL.com domain name would be really helpful to their visibility. However, try to not be conceited or treat them like childrens.

Then, my question:
Last week i have sent about 40 emails to very related domain-name companies offering them my xxxx-yyyy.com domain name. Usually they own domain names like xxxxzzzzyyyy.com or xxxx-zzzz-yyyy.net or similar, longer and not memorable domains.
Surprisingly i have received about 25 replies with "yes we are interested, let us know your price" concepts.
Then i priced my domain, low $xxx. Not an high price.
Well, since friday i have received any other replies. So i'm wondering if and when i should contact them again or if i just have to wait more.

•••
Some random pointers.

One of the most important things to remember when dealing with endusers is to be polite and professional in all your dealings with potential buyers.

All emails should be scanned for potentials typos, proper pronunciation.

You should address all companies by their business name. If you have a contact's name, use it, include Mr. or Mrs.

I recall in my earlier selling days I would mention the Escrow process in my emails to assure the buyer's confidence in me.

You want to give the end user complete confidence that you're a real entity. What better way to show it than by offering them to most secure payment process available.

•••
I still do this and think it is a very good point.

I will normally offer to pay the escrow fees, as many times that is the icing on the cake that seals the deal.

#1 - The process is safe & secure.
#2 - They don't incur extra cost.
#3 - It shows you are serious.

Many times the buyer will not even take the Escrow option, and will request direct Paypal. But that only happens after showing you are serious and not a scammer.

Brad

I recall in my earlier selling days I would mention the Escrow process in my emails to assure the buyer's confidence in me.

You want to give the end user complete confidence that you're a real entity. What better way to show it than by offering them to most secure payment process available.

•••
True indeed. Sometimes it's the little things that are the most relevant.
Yesterday I sold SubmitLink(net). Not the best of names, but Generic and has a little age.

Responding to the "How much?" email I did this. I think it's a nice little pointer.

"I didn't mention in my earlier email it's registered with Godaddy.com, a reputable registrar. Are you familiar with them?"

It's those little things which add credibility and further improves your chances of a sale.

•••
How do you manage to include the escrow part and explain it without making the email too long?
The longer the email, the less chance it will be read (usually).
I feel it is important to include escrow details, I use to do this after the show of interest in the second email, but I would like to include it in the initial email without making it too long.

•••
How do you manage to include the escrow part and explain it without making the email too long?
The longer the email, the less chance it will be read (usually).
I feel it is important to include escrow details, I use to do this after the show of interest in the second email, but I would like to include it in the initial email without making it too long.

I think it should go in the last paragraph (3-4 paragraphs is good) before your closing.

The other option is explaining Escrow in a reply email. This email opens up the conversation between both parties. Remember you can ask questions too.

•••
One of the most important things to remember when dealing with endusers is to be polite and professional in all your dealings with potential buyers.

All emails should be scanned for potentials typos, proper pronunciation.

You should address all companies by their business name. If you have a contact's name, use it, include Mr. or Mrs.

How does pronunciation apply to an email?

•••
Many times the buyer will not even take the Escrow option, and will request direct Paypal. But that only happens after showing you are serious and not a scammer.
Using Paypal, buyer is NOT at risk. Seller is.
As seller, I would never use paypal.

•••
In general end users you approach don't have much motivation to try and rip you off. I have not once had an issue with Paypal outside forum sales.

If the sale was large enough I would use Escrow to play it safe though. I know some people here who will push domains first to end users. In general these are respectable companies.

I would be less likely if someone approached me first to take Paypal, especially if they provide information that can't be verified (like free emails).

Brad

Using Paypal, buyer is NOT at risk. Seller is.
As seller, I would never use paypal.

•••
In general end users you approach don't have much motivation to try and rip you off. I have not once had an issue with Paypal outside forum sales.

If the sale was large enough I would use Escrow to play it safe though. I know some people here who will push domains first to end users. In general these are respectable companies.

I would be less likely if someone approached me first to take Paypal, especially if they provide information that can't be verified (like free emails).

Brad

For an end-user sale of any value, expect and ask for a check or wire. That is how most companies do business. I wouldn't fool with PayPal. They should not have a need for immediate transfer and you have record of their intent and action to purchase.

•••
It depends on the company. I normally offer Escrow, but say I am open to their preferred payment method.

I have received Escrow / Paypal / Wire / Check in the past. I have also ended up trading for domains before that a company had no use for.

Brad

For an end-user sale of any value, expect and ask for a check or wire. That is how most companies do business. I wouldn't fool with PayPal. They should not have a need for immediate transfer and you have record of their intent and action to purchase.

•••
A lots of great info, sachem and tip is here.
Thnx

•••
I recently contacted a number of potential endusers regarding a domain name I had for sale. I received three replies of interest within two hours asking for a price. I replied with my price and mentioned I would also consider reasonable offers. There has been no reply since.

I realise I will have to lower my price. I am not phased by this.

What I would like to know is how should I re-approach the interested parties? What should I mention in my email?

Help appreciated

(btw I will be looking over previous posts for an answer....but with 40 odd pages, it's going to take a while)

•••
I recently contacted a number of potential endusers regarding a domain name I had for sale. I received three replies of interest within two hours asking for a price. I replied with my price and mentioned I would also consider reasonable offers. There has been no reply since.

I realise I will have to lower my price. I am not phased by this.

What I would like to know is how should I re-approach the interested parties? What should I mention in my email?

Help appreciated

(btw I will be looking over previous posts for an answer....but with 40 odd pages, it's going to take a while)

Welcome to NamePros :)

Give them a few business days to reply to your initial offer. If you still don't hear word from them (a decline or counter-offer), email them again and give them a deadline of a few days to get back to you about your initial offer before you "move on to your next prospect." By then if you still haven't received an offer you're willing to settle with, try making some phone calls to those you emailed and talk to the person with the power to write the check.

•••
I personally wouldn't call them or give them deadlines. You have to remember that end user corporations have a different view of time to you and I. Sometimes I get replies 2-3 weeks after contacting end users. It takes time 1) ...for the email to reach the right dept, and then the right person in that dept. 2)...for the spending boys to get the green light from above.
If they really want that domain, they will contact you within the next 7-14 days max. If they don't, move on.

•••
I guess it depends on the size of the companies you are dealing with and how time consuming their decision making process is.

•••
I personally wouldn't call them or give them deadlines. You have to remember that end user corporations have a different view of time to you and I. Sometimes I get replies 2-3 weeks after contacting end users. It takes time 1) ...for the email to reach the right dept, and then the right person in that dept. 2)...for the spending boys to get the green light from above.
If they really want that domain, they will contact you within the next 7-14 days max. If they don't, move on.

agree completely.. give it at least 10 days or even more...patience is the key

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back