NameSilo

strategy How to Find Potential End Users?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi,

Do any of you has regularly sell your domain to end users? If so, do you mind share with me in this thread on how find potential end users for your domain?

Regards,
Sjarief

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
uk

UK

research suggests 70% of people in UK would choose abc .co.uk over abc .com on a google search but this doesn't mean a UK company won't be interested in a .com

•••
ccTLDs preferred by many

UK

research suggests 70% of people in UK would choose abc .co.uk over abc .com on a google search but this doesn't mean a UK company won't be interested in a .com

I was just surprised to discover some of my clients in UK despite having their surname available in .com extension were just not interested at all in it but in the "ugly" .co.uk I guess that those are the facts and they are not even "scared" from leaking traffic to the dot com... well, just to say...

I can´t say it applies to all ccTLDs but Im starting to think that it is a trend form some years ago.

•••
Is my domain portfolio so bad ?

I tried to sell my domains to end users and on forums like NP, but no sales yet. Can you give your honest opinion for my domain portfolio you can see in my signature?

Are these domain names so bad or do I need to give it time?

All feedback will be appreciated.

Many Thanks

•••
I tried to sell my domains to end users and on forums like NP, but no sales yet. Can you give your honest opinion for my domain portfolio you can see in my signature?

Many Thanks

The sales of your domain name is dependent on 90% of its quality.

Most times people think that they have good names but reality reflects the opposite.

If you are newbie, try to spend time reading the kind of domains people sell so as to get a view of what valuable domain name means.

•••
•••
Not that good imo. I'd stick to .com and focus on generic product/service domains.

99.9% of my sales to endusers are .coms, even to people outside the US.

Many Thanks

•••
Not that good imo. I'd stick to .com and focus on generic product/service domains.

99.9% of my sales to endusers are .coms, even to people outside the US.

Yeah... excactly! But with the exception of UK. For UK market, I have an idea but never tried it.

•••
Thank you all for your honest opinions.

Back to the drawing board :)

•••
Every single domain in your portfolio is terrible and likely will never sell for more than $3 each. Please tell me you didn't waste your money registering these -- if you had, then you just lost hundreds that you'll never get back.

Many Thanks

•••
Please tell me each of you, what percent of the domains you actively try to sell to end-users actually end up being sold (to end-users)? I remember JoshuaPz once saying that he only sells about 25% of his domains (and that even that is high). I was suprised, I thought it is much higher.

So far I tried to sell:

Send/Big/Files/Free/.com
- 4 inquiries
- asked for $450
- got one $150 bid
- thought the guy bluffs and asked for $250
- got no reply
- sent him a message 8 days later (10 hours ago now) saying that I am out of candidates and and am ready to accept his offer - no reply 'til now

Repairable/Cars/.net
- 4 inquiries
- asked the wealthiest of them $490, no reply
- asked another guy $250 - he accepts after 5 mins and says 'let's escrow it'
- I tell him that there's no need, offer him to push the domain before payment and tell him that all I need is his Go Daddy login and email to push
- no reply, guess he thinks I'm a scammer (?)(!)

Large/Prints/.net
- reduced the number of candidates to 30 (mailed whois & website ofc) for whom I think I have good chances to succeed as I hate to send out 100 mails
- got only 1 reply (dissapointed), the guy said they would be interested if I had the .com, asked for the price anyway
- contacted another 15 or so candidates today - no responses 'til now, don't think I will get any

Also tried to sell another 2 domains but that was before I really started to understand what kind of domains I need to search for.

How much do you think I could get for this 3 domains on forum or auctions?

Ready to stick to the .com now.

Not sure if I now should:

(a) Work on my trustworthiness by getting a U.S. number (tho I don't know how that should work as my name clearly tells that I'm not from there. I even say from where I am in the first sentence!), professional email (Outlook currently), nice Linkedin profile as well as othere similar things.
(b) Work on my negatiation techniques and stuff I say after the 'what's the price' reply.
(c) Look for better domains. (Not sure about this one as I see many almost bad domains sold for very nice money in the 'report end-user sales' thread.)
(d) Start sending mails to 200+ companys with any relevance to my domain's keywords.
(e) Continue as 'til now and try to offer as many domains as possible having in mind that I could offer about 10 domains per week and probably sell 2-3 out of it.

Suggestions are welcomed. Please answer the question in my first sentence.

Last edited:
•••
I think the subject line is best as just the keywords of the domain if they are appropriate to the person you are targeting. For example if your domain was BelgianChocolate.com and you are contacting manufacturers or wholesalers of chocolate, they are quite likely to open an email with subject line Belgian Chocolate because it`s the business they are in.

I always add at the end of my emails, If this correspondance has arrived at the wrong department, please pass it on to the appropriate staff member and if this matter is of know interest to you I appologise for this unsolicited intrusion.

I find this polite ending results in many acknowledgements of the email even if they are not interested and every acknowledgement is positive as you then know your email was at least read.
OMG, Check your spelling!

---------- Post added at 08:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:10 PM ----------

Sorry for being slightly OT, but is there any difference between potential buyers of domains? I mean, if there is difference between market branches? Is easier to sell domain connected to business, than one connected to pregnancy?
Pregnancy is HUGE business. People take their business seriouly regardless of what it is. 30 years ago I sourced container loads of condoms for a client( to be sent to 3rd world countries). The Pharma mfg were all very professional and they would expect the same from you.

---------- Post added at 08:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:15 PM ----------

This thread is getting stronger by the minute.
I am closing on a sale with John Deere right now
and will report on how I did it on Friday. Once the
check is cashed I'll reveal the name.
John Deere is a big company. That is impressive. What title/dept did your prospect hold?

---------- Post added at 08:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:36 PM ----------

FYI, I have just posted my entire process for selling to end users. I hope this is not too self promotional because it is directly related to this post.

Visit my and you can see my extensive process for researching the domain and industry, harvesting and screening prospects and pitching to end users.
Huh? I get a parked page with a bunch of links?

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
Thanks Josh! I PM'd Sharon just to let her know the outcome of her domain.

I'd love to have you guest post any time... let me know.

Mark

PS - still working on the email templates, I need to get more of them out.
Mark, Where is your blog. All I get is a parking page from Sedo!

---------- Post added at 11:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:17 PM ----------

Thanks all for the feedback! It has been a fun few days bringing it all together.

I have a mad dash this week - heading to TRAFFIC in NY. Anyone else going? I'd love to meet any of you.

Josh I will get your post up as soon as I can get to it.

Thanks again,
Mark
I can't get geobroker.com either? Why am I having such a problem getting to your sites?

---------- Post added at 11:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:21 PM ----------

I sent out 21 emails this morning to potential end users using a self revised template from this thread:

Hello,

I am a web developer from Denver, Colorado. I am releasing a handful of my premium domain names to the public over the next few weeks. The one word domain name xxxxxxxxxx.info [in bold] is available for acquisition. If you are interested in acquiring this domain contact me via phone or email. In the case I do not hear from you fairly soon I will move along to the next candidate.

Best Regards,
xxxx

name
ph #
email

Received 2 replies so far with asking price. One did not respond to my price yet, the other said she will have to pass but thanks for the note. This all within 4 hours of my emailing.

My strategy is to send out emails M-Th (sometimes only M-W) early in the morning (MST) in hopes it is in the right persons (decision makers) inbox so that when he/she first checks email in the morning will see my message.
Where in Denver, I live in Capital Hill!

•••
Bebito, I think you will find it hard to sell a lot of those names, some might be trademarked too so be careful. If you want my honest advice, do not renew the names you can't sell and spend a good month reading some of the many sales lists that are out there before buying anything else. Its important not only to see what is selling but to understand 'why' it sold.

The good news? You have 30 or so names, some people have hundreds that in hindsight they should not have purchased.

•••
Bebito, I think you will find it hard to sell a lot of those names, some might be trademarked too so be careful. If you want my honest advice, do not renew the names you can't sell and spend a good month reading some of the many sales lists that are out there before buying anything else. Its important not only to see what is selling but to understand 'why' it sold.

The good news? You have 30 or so names, some people have hundreds that in hindsight they should not have purchased.
I didn't spend a lot of money on these names as they where bought with Godaddy coupons. I keep reading and learning everyday. Thank you for your comment.

•••

Many Thanks

Some of your names are decent and your most importantly, your prices are reasonable from an end-user standpoint. I wouldn't be asking those prices on boards like NP but on Sedo they are priced just right. A total count of 32 isn't very many so it may take time and you may want to consider continuing to expand your portfolio. Keep your portfolio growing and your pricing the same and some sales should come eventually. Continue to look for new prospects and keep sending the emails out.

•••
Which tools are you using to check past domain sales?

•••
information

DNJournal
Domain Name Wire
Domain Shane
Hybrid Domainer
Morgan Linton

•••
•••
What percent of the domains you actively try to sell to end-users actually end up being sold?

Last edited:
•••
i tend to concentrate on selling a very small number at a time and I do not have a very large portfolio so for me it is approx. 5-10%

•••
Thank You everyone

I have now gone through all 111 pages. I learned a lot. Very much appreciate all your posts.:lala:
Namaste,
Serry

•••
posted by Iavannnn:

When you register a new domain do you start aproaching end users right away or do you wait first? Because isn't it silly to try to sell a domain just a few days after you registered it? I mean, what's the end user going to think? He'll know you're a reseller who is just after the money. Isn't that what we are trying to avoid?

That's not off-topic, it's a well on-topic procedural question :)

As a general rule of thumb I always park for 60 days. This gives me time to do real research on the market for that domain, as well as gather data on any traffic/rev it's producing.

Frank

•••
Please someone help me.
I want to sell .com version. Prospect 1 has cctd version dan prospect 2 has hyphenated .com version.
Please provide the sales script that works.
Thanks

it doesn't matter... Just shoot. If you dont get a reply, mail them again after somedays...

I sold 2 domains like that.

•••
•••
My first post in this thread.
Anyhow => interesting question.

:wave:

Steven
Domainstore

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back