Domain Empire

strategy How to Find Potential End Users?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi,

Do any of you has regularly sell your domain to end users? If so, do you mind share with me in this thread on how find potential end users for your domain?

Regards,
Sjarief

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I suggest : domaintools dot com google dot com bing dot com
and Do not Email Your "End Users"

•••
^^ I dont understand what you mean by 'do not email your end user' How then do you make the sale?

•••
•••
Hahahaha... I see. We are in 21st Century

•••
I basically only sell to the so called "end users" or at least I sell at the so called "end user prices" ;)

Basically what hat I do is:

1) Look for simillar domains and extensions & Conduct searches in SEs for related websites.

2) With this I compile a Email list of potential interest buyers (based on website or WHOIS contacts).

3) Then I set the name on auction (no FSBO).

4) Right after setting up the domain auction I send out a mail to each identified potential buyer, and inform them about the auction.
(1 by 1 and personalized for each buyer)

Important in my experience is, that if you want to attend a decent sales price is to set up the auction BEFORE you mail the potential buyers. This has the effect, that it puts indirect pressue on buyers (bid now or you never have a chance again)
A FSBO mail to a potential buyer has not much effect, or you just receive a bunch of real low offers.

PS:
It is advisable, to evaluate trademark conflicts before you send mails ;)
Thanks for sharing that.

•••
I suggest : domaintools dot com google dot com bing dot com
and Do not Email Your "End Users"

How do you make contact?

•••
I would assume he does it telepathically..... But that would also count as contacting endusers.... :|

How do you make contact?

•••
Guys is there any way someone can make some money from hosting services after selling the domain to the end user, i mean commissions ???

•••
•••
•••
what tools should i use to search for buyers in BULK ....... i mean how can i reach all advertisers for a single/double word fast instead of searching every google result and ad ????

•••
Have a look at DomainSherpa, in one of his interviews with Adam Dicker (the last one I think) he discusses mass mailing and the tools needed to do this.

•••
•••
•••
•••
posted by Big_Daddy:
Guys is there any way someone can make some money from hosting services after selling the domain to the end user, i mean commissions ???

There's no harm, strictly speaking, in an upsell; however, in my own experience I have gotten better results from just offering stuff like hosting, wireframes, keyword research etc. as a freebie with the domain and then building the value into the price. Some people like to feel like they got something free. Some people like to feel like they're smarter than others. Adding in a $75 premium WP theme licence and tacking on $50 to the price accomodates both of these mindsets, because the former will think it's neat they got a free theme, and the latter will tell you to keep it and knock x$ off the price.

Frank

•••
Was having a conversation about geodomains earlier today and thought this was worth sharing: If you're selling a geodomain, especially something like place+service.com, it is very much worth the effort to look for regional companies who do business in the area, not just locals. eg. a Chicago law firm who is bar licenced in both Illinois and Indiana is a much more likely prospect for a domain like IndianapolisPersonalInjury.com -- locals have Yellow Page listings, signage, word of mouth etc. on which they are capitalising, and will not be as warm a prospect as the outsider trying to compete in their market.

Frank

•••
^^That's a good tip. Looking for others who want to compete in a market but are at a disadvantage. For example, eBay doesn't need another domain with "auctions" in it, but someone competing with eBay might.

•••
End user replied...

Hello fellas, I have been reading this wonderful thread and emailing end users. So far out of about 150 or more emails send I got about 3 emails back, one domain sold right away, the other oneis still floating, and the other one i am looking for advice.

Here is the thing: I received one reply back from online auto store. I have exact same domain but mine ends with.com and theirs with .net extension, so he replied me back with two words (HOW MUCH), kind of cold answer, no hello or thanks nothing. Should I still give him time to think and make me the offer or just ask for mid $xxx for quick sale.

•••
You contacted them, it's your job to give him/her a price.

Hello fellas, I have been reading this wonderful thread and emailing end users. So far out of about 150 or more emails send I got about 3 emails back, one domain sold right away, the other oneis still floating, and the other one i am looking for advice.

Here is the thing: I received one reply back from online auto store. I have exact same domain but mine ends with.com and theirs with .net extension, so he replied me back with two words (HOW MUCH), kind of cold answer, no hello or thanks nothing. Should I still give him time to think and make me the offer or just ask for mid $xxx for quick sale.

•••

Instead of saying mid $xxx I would say $800 and if he doesn't get back to you within 48 hours then email him and say how much was he prepared to pay?

•••

ANY reply that shows interest should be treated the same, whether they sound 'cold' or 'warm'. Business people are busy. They don't know you. They don't know whether or not you can be trusted. Rather than composing a cordial reply, they will often reply with as little effort as possible. It is the conversation YOU create that matters.

•••
posted by Gene:
ANY reply that shows interest should be treated the same, whether they sound 'cold' or 'warm'. Business people are busy. They don't know you. They don't know whether or not you can be trusted. Rather than composing a cordial reply, they will often reply with as little effort as possible. It is the conversation YOU create that matters.

Well stated. I'd also add that in this age of tweeting, texting, status updating and myriad other "short form" communication, it shouldn't be suprising to get short, even brusque-sounding responses from people, many of which are not meant to sound that way, they just do.

Frank

---------- Post added at 04:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:42 PM ----------

Something I think I mentioned before, but it's buried somewhere in this 113-page thread:

Do not send HTML e-mails!

I got one yesterday, offering me a domain; my mailer doesn't read HTML (I have it blocked for security reasons) and this particular sender apparently went out of his way with presentation in the mail itself, because it was an absolute train wreck of code through which I had to sift to find the actual message text.

If you like having your messages erroneously blocked by spam filters and anti-virus applications, or are a big fan of having your messages disregarded and deleted by people who don't get HTML mail, or enjoy your messages looking like something Picasso whipped up due to a mobile device having problems with properly formatting code you only previewed on your desktop computer, by all means keep sending HTML e-mails. If you're not into those things, be a professional and stick to text.

Frank

•••

Unless its a beaut of a name, be realistic with your price and you might get the sale. Its difficult to ascertain interest with a 'how much' response but its a response so its positive.

Good luck.

•••
Originally Posted by nRnF
I basically only sell to the so called "end users" or at least I sell at the so called "end user prices"

Basically what hat I do is:

1) Look for simillar domains and extensions & Conduct searches in SEs for related websites.

2) With this I compile a Email list of potential interest buyers (based on website or WHOIS contacts).

3) Then I set the name on auction (no FSBO).

4) Right after setting up the domain auction I send out a mail to each identified potential buyer, and inform them about the auction.
(1 by 1 and personalized for each buyer)

Important in my experience is, that if you want to attend a decent sales price is to set up the auction BEFORE you mail the potential buyers. This has the effect, that it puts indirect pressue on buyers (bid now or you never have a chance again)
A FSBO mail to a potential buyer has not much effect, or you just receive a bunch of real low offers.

PS:
It is advisable, to evaluate trademark conflicts before you send mails

1. Where do you recommend setting up the auction? eBay? Sedo? Somewhere else? I know most people have eBay accounts already so that may be a good option. Perhaps the end user would be reluctant to purchase if they have to sign up for an account at a site like Sedo?

2. What is FSBO?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back