Dynadot

discuss How much domains You got ?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Donmarick

Established Member
Impact
Maybe some members want to share their stats of portfolio and how much they earn on domains ?
I will start:
Number of domains: 79
month revenue: 90$
source: ads on developed part of domains.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Was ~6K in September...
As of today: 2,7XX

•••
I am trying to keep my portfolio at 500 names, but I will try to get it up to 1000 in 2020. I can make a living from my domaining.

•••
I've just reached 2700 domains this month.

•••
Definitely that's very time consuming task.
I think taking a break for maximum one week would help you to sort out all pending work.

I wish )) took 3 months off and did not help. I have too many other projects off the domains, including a magazine that want to launch in few month, managing real estate partnership for 65000 square feet new development, mixed sports, retail, office, a 2 year old baby and so on :)

•••
I only have less than a hundred.

How do you guys manage 1000s of domains? spreadsheet or software?
The amount of work to list them on various marketplaces is crazy.

No software.

Since I've acquired these domains in more than 10 years so not very difficult to manage compare to someone who's aggressively buying. Also I try to keep all my domains at one registrar for better management.

Last edited:
•••
The simple and truthful answer probably is that I am old and inefficient :xf.eek:

But let me expand a little. I like to analyze and for each domain I consider I typically look at many factors including who would be the categories of end users, what value proposition would this name have for them, what are the close competitors, what prior similar sales (both in niche and in extension) have their been, search and advertiser statistics, automated appraisals, trends, was it held before, did it have an operating website or abuse if it was, etc. (some of my considerations in this post).

I consider carefully probably 5 to 10 names for every one I hold. Also, while I register for multiple years a few well over half of my names I only try for a single year so if my portfolio is 300 held, at least 160 are new each year, and for those 160 I analyze 800 to 1600 possibilities. It is just me :xf.wink:.

Also, I like to do a written document of key facts for each domain, and share a portion of that on marketplace listings. I am not sure if this works, it may even be negative, but it is what I do.

I plan to be more efficient, but right now I use a combination of a spreadsheet, text documents and written notes for all of this information. Not efficient! :xf.sick:

I also find the marketplace interfaces not as efficient as they could be. I find it easy and fast to put domain names up on Undeveloped, but between their verification TXT record, adding the domains, doing the category and description, and then changing the category if I hate the picture they put with the one I chose as the primary, I find Sedo really time consuming. Afternic I find a little better, but still takes time. I am surprised how many names I want to add someone has left in Afternic so I have to go through support to get them taken down so I can add them. Anyway, I rant....

But the story of why I can I think comfortably only handle less than 200 in my portfolio. Thanks for asking!

Bob

Wow! Here is how I tackle all of that! If I like the name and I test that there are potential businesses for which the name would be an upgrade, I bypass lots of the other work you do. I factor in that $20x10% for the chance of missing an orange flag is not worth my time spending researching more. Because if I have to spend 20 minutes more checking this, then I am valuing my time at $6/hour. For me to engage in an activity, it must be worth $xxx/hr.

I also don't drop a lot, except for "what was I thinking" moments and adjustment for learning curve. The reason: I sold 35+ names in 2018, probably only 5 or so were 2018 reg. I just noticed that the names take some "maturing", like wine, within your portfolio for them to sell. Shifting ownership, apparently, doesn't help.

And I have consolidated 99% of my names between 2 registrars. So I bypass promos on purpose for the reason above ($ save divided by extra time = too little $/hr to bother).

Last edited:
•••
Was heading up towards 1,000 but now am killing off older junk and buying better .coms, so trying to keep it around 700. Getting tired of low to mid $xxx sales all the time and want to start seeing $xxxx. I decided to not post any sales below $xxxx this year and of course everything I am selling now is low to mid $xxx so far. :xf.rolleyes:

•••
Looks like you're going aggressive in buying since last year and same is the case with me too!
With your speed, hopefully you'll reach 4K mark by the end of this year (y)

I am able to find about 20-30 names a day I want to have, but the bottleneck is adding to marketplaces and marketing properly. I feel like just collecting is not effective, when I have a backlog of hundreds that I already own, but don't properly market. And this includes adding to afternic, adding to brandable marketplaces (Brandpa and Squadhelp for now, Brandroot and Brandbucket have been dead slow), launching my own marketplace and featuring them there etc.

So I am forcing myself just to get 1-10 a day and probably will reach 4K mark by the end of 2019.

But, numbers aside, there are bunch of other similarities I find with you. Perhaps, because if you are a logical person, you will be thinking/acting the same way as others like you.

•••
You can definitely have too many to manage this can be a big mistake even with great names. You still have to manage your time. Revenue can be a waste of time unless you have enough traffic in same niche to justify a regular payment from sponsors. I have over 500 domains.

Last edited:
•••
I'm 9 months into domaining and have about 60 domains. Income? I'm still trying to cross over to profit status, which I can do with one decent sale.

•••
I only have less than a hundred.

How do you guys manage 1000s of domains? spreadsheet or software?
The amount of work to list them on various marketplaces is crazy.

Partly Spreadsheets.

The best software I use for management is Domain Punch Professional. It's about $120 to purchase. All upgrades in the same version are free. And when you upgrade to the next version you get it at a discount of about $70 (I forget exactly). I started with version 1. And am now on the latest version 4. Each major version upgrade comes around about every 3 years or so. There is a free trial. I recommend you try it. Its workology suited me best. I wouldn't have a computer without it.

I've gone past all the craziness stage. I just list my domains on my website and Afternic (Which includes GoDaddy). I am in the process of converting most of my domains from make offer to buy now with fast transfer.

Last edited:
•••
43k on 150 names is great, provided your cost per name is in xx to low xxx and it did involve extensive outbound

All inbound sales (3 private and 1 via Uni broker).

As to the acquisitions, no I didn't buy them that cheap. All relatively fresh buys (less than a year) on auctions at market prices. E.g., domains I sold in 5 figure range were acquired for 1K and 1.6K (GD and NJ).

It was under 120 at that time. I'm buying more now as I want more regular paydays rather then one-off (albeit very profitable) sales... This is really an issue for me. It's difficult to plan anything when you know that for another 6 months you may have zero sales.

•••
Thank You for share @Fancy.domains You only keep them and sell or develop ? How You earn on them ? It's pretty nice number.

About 99% are up for sale via my own landing pages and various market platforms.

About 1% are developed or under development.

•••
Was ~6K in September...
As of today: 2,7XX

Wow! That was a huge drop. Presumably getting rid of the dross? Strange. I can never find that much dross. This is not a comment of your or my portfolios. It's the fact I like most of my domains, and cannot decide which is the dross or not. Probably the 10% which are not .com could be considered dross, en-masse :(

I do drop domains every month. But I also re-invest any income into more domains.

Last edited:
•••
71 and going down to 30 maybe.

I am just shifting my focus onto other businesses that's why.

Other than that domains will be my favorite things and I will keep loving them always. :xf.love:

•••
•••
Are you cash positive now?

Yes, for sure I have already crossed mid $x,xxx in the last 3 months and aiming to hit 5 figures in total sales before the end of 2019

•••
I have total domains 300 as of now..
growing gradually..
90% i have .COM

Last edited:
•••
I have over 500 domains as of 2019. 60% acquired. 5% developed. 5% development in progress.

•••
Just edited above: according to my current budget and focus...

Domaining is a volume game as well...
Not just quality matters in terms of regular sales.

•••
I also re-invest any income into more domains.
After ~11 years of domaining I don't think that 100% reinvesting into domains (only) is a good way.

Last edited:
•••
Currently I have 20 Domains. My goal is to slowly build and create a steady income reselling so at most I only plan to have between 50-100. I am starting to acquire domains with the extension .info to use for parking which I am working to generate revenue from. My .coms I look to sell at a good price.

•••
I had over 600+, but now I'm around 250..... I want to focus on quality and also development.
I would love to make some good sales and bring my portfolio down to 100.

•••
Was at around 240 now in the 170's.

Dropped most new gtld names that I had.
May keep only one, for now.

Most of my portfolio consist of .com
Have a only few cctld and .org

Continually doing research and improving my portfolio.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back