Dynadot

discuss How much domains You got ?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Donmarick

Established Member
Impact
Maybe some members want to share their stats of portfolio and how much they earn on domains ?
I will start:
Number of domains: 79
month revenue: 90$
source: ads on developed part of domains.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Just over 1000...culled way down from many more than that over the last 3 years or so.

Anything that was a non com that wasn't super premium was sold/dropped so now most of portfolio (97%) are coms.

My current limit is a max of 1500 providing I can find good ones at a good value. Not EVER going the volume rate/method again...only names that are REALLY good, great, premium or super premium from now on.

•••
43k on 150 names is great, provided your cost per name is in xx to low xxx and it did involve extensive outbound

All inbound sales (3 private and 1 via Uni broker).

As to the acquisitions, no I didn't buy them that cheap. All relatively fresh buys (less than a year) on auctions at market prices. E.g., domains I sold in 5 figure range were acquired for 1K and 1.6K (GD and NJ).

It was under 120 at that time. I'm buying more now as I want more regular paydays rather then one-off (albeit very profitable) sales... This is really an issue for me. It's difficult to plan anything when you know that for another 6 months you may have zero sales.

•••
•••
I only have + - 500 domains at the moment ..
99% I have .COM + 1% .NET
I'm so comfortable...

Last edited:
•••
The problem with a smaller portfolio is that there will be fewer sales...

I had only four sales in 2018 for a total of 43K (2 x $X,XXX, 2 x $XX,XXX), but from March to September there were no sales at all. No sales = no cash flow = no good buys == no momentum.

43K would do me well lol. That's a yearly income for many(And more than many).
I do get a level of consistent interest in the top names i have. So if i have 100 top names then I believe it's possible. 150 may be more feasible though..because I also buy trendy names that get quite some interest too. But I know quite too well what you said... going months with zero sales....(it puzzles me sometimes). This happens even when i had more names. So having less names mean less renewals, and a higher probability of a high price sale which could easily renew 100-150 names. Then everything else is profit. I can't be spending so much on renewals monthly.. I could be eating Chi-Fil-A or Shake shack..lol

That's why I am developing and starting businesses too, so I can have multiple income streams and be a more effective domain investor.

•••
43K would do me well lol. That's a yearly income for many(And more than many).
I do get a level of consistent interest in the top names i have. So if i have 100 top names then I believe it's possible. 150 may be more feasible though..because I also buy trendy names that get quite some interest too. But I know quite too well what you said... going months with zero sales....(it puzzles me sometimes). This happens even when i had more names. So having less names mean less renewals, and a higher probability of a high price sale which could easily renew 100-150 names. Then everything else is profit. I can't be spending so much on renewals monthly.. I could be eating Chi-Fil-A or Shake shack..lol

That's why I am developing and starting businesses too, so I can have multiple income streams and be a more effective domain investor.

Well, 43K would do well for me too :xf.smile: After deducting acquisition costs and Uni/Escrow fees I've got 36.5K net (which is still not bad for most, I understand). To get to this point, however, I invested roughly the same amount of money during the preceding 18 months. It paid off, but there is no magic.

I'm also trying to develop some sites for diversification, but after three years into domaining I think I'm getting better at it and I'm currently pouring all my income into domains as the most profitable niche to grow fast (I understand it won't last forever).

•••
I only have less than a hundred.

How do you guys manage 1000s of domains? spreadsheet or software?
The amount of work to list them on various marketplaces is crazy.
You don't get those 1000s at once. You buy and list as you go. One or two at a time, that's what I do. Mine is still at 100s but I plan going thousand this year or next, with majority as super premium.

•••
Why is it much time to manage?
I have 9 times more, almost all of them with GD and Dyna. Once they are added to marketplaces, there is nothing else to manage, except to renew timely.
So, out of the approximately 2,700 domains listed, how many have you sold last year?

What marketplaces are you listing with?

And which marketplace(s) has/have brought you most sales?
Why do you want to know?
My wife don't even know how may names I have...
Very sound strategy :xf.wink:
Beside 1,000 crap names is not equal to 1 good name so the question is who care?
The answer how many domains, in itself, is not indicative of much. Answers coupled with additional information, like the one I've quoted above and many others in this thread, provide useful information, food for thought. IMHO :xf.grin:

•••
I had 3200 in 2017-2019 now I have 1050
I dropped most ngtld and sold/dropped most .info .biz also
My 1050 domains 950 .com and 100 the rest
Trying to let my portfolio up to 2500 domains again by the end of 2019 but with only .com purchases

Last edited:
•••
So, out of the approximately 2,700 domains listed, how many have you sold last year?

What marketplaces are you listing with?

And which marketplace(s) has/have brought you most sales?

My last year's average was around 1200-1300 .coms

Sold around 35 names for about $150K before commissions. So my sell through was close to 3%.

Marketplaces: Afternic, inbound, Sedo broker for 1 name, Brandroot (before it went completely dead about 7-8 months ago), Brandpa, Brandbucket (also have been dead for about 7 months now).

For this year, most important working venues are inbound, Afternic and Brandpa.

•••
Sold around 35 names for about $150K before commissions. So my sell through was close to 3%.

Marketplaces: Afternic, inbound, Sedo broker for 1 name, Brandroot (before it went completely dead about 7-8 months ago), Brandpa, Brandbucket (also have been dead for about 7 months now).

For this year, most important working venues are inbound, Afternic and Brandpa.

Can you share more details on your inbound leads, please? Did they come from whois or your own marketplace? I'm very interested in the latter because I'm trying to understand your (successful) strategy to compete with the likes of Afternic/Sedo/etc, i.e., at what price ranges end users feel comfortable to approach a less known marketplace.

So referring to your own marketplace sales, could you share the following:
1) How many sales with make offer only and what were the final sale prices (ranges will do)?
2) How many sales with BIN (or BIN + make offer) and what were your BIN prices on those?
3) For domains with BINs, what is your strategy for pricing the domains on your own marketplace vs other venues? Do you set the same prices everywhere or compensate for 10-20% fees?

•••
Can you share more details on your inbound leads, please? Did they come from whois or your own marketplace? I'm very interested in the latter because I'm trying to understand your (successful) strategy to compete with the likes of Afternic/Sedo/etc, i.e., at what price ranges end users feel comfortable to approach a less known marketplace.

So referring to your own marketplace sales, could you share the following:
1) How many sales with make offer only and what were the final sale prices (ranges will do)?
2) How many sales with BIN (or BIN + make offer) and what were your BIN prices on those?
3) For domains with BINs, what is your strategy for pricing the domains on your own marketplace vs other venues? Do you set the same prices everywhere or compensate for 10-20% fees?

My marketplace is still work in progress. It was pretty much direct contact via phone or email. I got about 10-15% sales that way, same averages.

My commission average was around 16% (from 0 to 35% percent range).

Most sales were bin or negotiated down. I don't do many make offer ones.

I price the names the same or bin at Afternic and make offer at another place. I don't like being confusion.

•••
I price the names the same or bin at Afternic and make offer at another place. I don't like being confusion.

Recently I synchronized my BIN prices across all venues too. But I'm trying to validate this strategy for my higher priced domains.

If I put, say, 45K BIN at Afternic, maybe it makes sense to reduce the price to $39,500 on my website to motivate buyers? Or should I skip BIN prices altogether and just keep "make offer" options on my landers?..

•••
Put the same price, imo.

As soon as buyer sees second price, he starts to look for the third one and also starts to question the value of the name for the price.

•••
•••
Put the same price, imo.

As soon as buyer sees second price, he starts to look for the third one and also starts to question the value of the name for the price.

I agree with this. I have done this in the past and it leads to more buyer confusion than anything.

If a buyer contacts you directly though it is alright to offer to pass on some of the commission savings.
That works for me to help close deals.

Brad

•••
•••

Oh, I didn't think about it from this angle. Makes sense.

But the question is how would I motivate buyers to buy the domain from me instead of, say, Godaddy?

•••
If a buyer contacts you directly though it is alright to offer to pass on some of the commission savings.
That works for me to help close deals.

By "directly" you mean whois lead?

•••
By "directly" you mean whois lead?

Or via contact form on a lander. I just mean any way you have direct communication with a potential buyer and can avoid a marketplace commission.

Brad

•••
Or via contact form on a lander. I just mean any way you have direct communication with a potential buyer and can avoid a marketplace commission.

Brad

OK, I can see you don't put BINs on your domains. That's what I thought (and tried) too.

About a month ago I put BIN prices to all domains, but the only thing I got were fake offers from India, Nigeria, and Uganda. I was pissed to the point that I changed all smaller value domains to Undeveloped (BIN only) and higher value domains to Uni (make offer only) while I think what to do next :xf.cool:

Last edited:
•••
Oh, I didn't think about it from this angle. Makes sense.

But the question is how would I motivate buyers to buy the domain from me instead of, say, Godaddy?

I would not do it with price, except what @bmugford said above.

If even with lander GD beats you as being more attractive venue to buy, kudos to them. It means otherwise deal would not have happened.

Just work on earning brand name and reputation with time, do some tricks to instill confidence in buyers etc.

•••
I would not do it with price, except what @bmugford said above.

If even with lander GD beats you as being more attractive venue to buy, kudos to them. It means otherwise deal would not have happened.

Just work on earning brand name and reputation with time, do some tricks to instill confidence in buyers etc.

That's exactly what I wanted to know (y)

BTW, I noticed that some domains listed at Afternic and BuyDomains redirect type-in traffic to a lander without a price and make offer button, but if you use search on their websites, those domains are priced. So I'm guessing it can be a viable strategy for my own marketplace (at the expense of low ball offers :xf.confused:) - a perfect motivation to get in touch with me first by asking for a quote. No scaring prices, no make offer decisions...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back