Dynadot

question How long does Network Solutions take to drop domain names?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

jake daniel

Established Member
Impact
A domain I'm interested in expired in June, but when I go to it's webpage it still just has a Network Solutions landing page that says:
"XXXX.com expired on 06/XX/2020 and is pending renewal or deletion."

I'm confused because I thought domains were supposed to drop at 80 days. Any idea might be going on here?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Search your domain on snapnames and you will discover the exact date if it will happen within some days.
For example next LLLL.com drops:
kfjl.com 2020-11-03
ldhw.com 2020-11-05
lgqj.com 2020-11-03
ljwr.com 2020-11-03
luqs.com 2020-11-05
mils.com 2020-11-05

•••
It doesn't show up on Snapnames and on NameJet it just shows as:
Auction Type: Wish List - No Current Auction
Domain Type: Wish List

It has been over 130 days since the domain expiration date, but it never went to auction and the whois just shows the same Network Solutions pending delete or renewal stuff since about 2-3 weeks after it expired in June (when the expiration was changed to 2022). Not sure what's happening here.

Last edited:
•••
the whois just shows the same Network Solutions pending delete or renewal stuff since about 2-3 weeks after it expired in June (when the expiration was changed to 2022). Not sure what's happening here.

If you check the domain whois and the expiration date is 2022, there you have the answer. That's the expiration date.
What happens is that you are still seeing the "domain expired" landing page because the expiring DNS hasn't been updated, after the renewal.
But the 2022 expiration date that you see on the whois data is very clear.

Last edited:
•••
If you check the domain whois and the expiration date is 2022, there you have the answer. That's the expiration date.
What happens is that you are still seeing the "domain expired" landing page because the expiring DNS hasn't been updated, after the renewal.
But the 2022 expiration date that you see on the whois data is very clear.

I don't think you are correct...unless maybe I'm misunderstanding you and you're saying that Network Solutions renewed the domain for itself (to warehouse) and so the expiration date got set to 2022 because of that? But I don't think that's what you're saying (correct me if I'm wrong). What I think you're saying is that the previous owner renewed the domain (after it expired), but hasn't updated the DNS yet so that's why the landing page still shows the expired page. If that's what you mean, then I think this is wrong.

I say this because the entire whois information was changed 2-3 weeks after it expired listing the Network Solutions "pending renewal or deletion" stuff as the info since then. Now I'd understand that the landing page could still show the expired page if the owner had renewed it but hadn't updated the DNS yet, though the entire whois then shouldn't still have everything listed as the Network Solutions pending delete or renewal stuff (esp after like ~140 days) if that were the case, right?

Last edited:
•••
In my experience the name does not change from a pending delete page by itself on NetSol. You have to manually change it.

Only one of 3 things happened- owner renewed in redemption or grace renewal period, owner sold and renewed or it was picked up by someone else at an expiry auction. Which is irrelevant to you, The only info that matters is the domain is now renewed until 2022 and is not dropping.

•••
In my experience the name does not change from a pending delete page by itself on NetSol. You have to manually change it.

Only one of 3 things happened- owner renewed in redemption or grace renewal period, owner sold and renewed

If either of these first two things were true, then wouldn't the whois info show different stuff than just the same network solutions pending renewal or deletion info that it showed after the domain expired (and for that matter, the same whois info that is displayed after any domain has expired when registered with them)?

or it was picked up by someone else at an expiry auction.

And it never went to auction -- I monitored NameJet and SnapNames closely since the domain expired, which would have been the only places it would have shown up for auction.

Last edited:
•••
If the domain has retained its age plus two years someone renewed it for two years. Who that someone is or why NetSol did not make any further changes to WhoIs who knows. They are weak on alot of things. I have heard of warehousing too but I don’t think they would do that on an average domain. It would have to be exceptional. Exceptional domains nine times out of ten will be auctioned.

The best way to monitor dropping names going to auction or for backorder purposes is by watching the expired names list imo. Just watching catching sites you can miss things.

The only other weak possibility is a backorder existed at Net Sol and was caught and never made it to auction. Is the name under privacy or can you see details of owner?

•••
If the domain has retained its age plus two years someone renewed it for two years. Who that someone is or why NetSol did not make any further changes to WhoIs who knows.
When a domain expires with Net Sol it looks like they always add one year to it's expiration date after it expires (but before it goes to auction or gets dropped), so wasn't sure why 2 years was added instead of just one year. I suppose the original owner could have renewed it during the grace period, but this just seems odd to me then that the whois info wouldn't have changed by now.

The best way to monitor dropping names going to auction or for backorder purposes is by watching the expired names list imo. Just watching catching sites you can miss things.
This is exactly what I've been doing. And Net Sol has an exclusive partnership with NameJet, where all it's expired domains go to auction before being dropped; so NameJet is not just another catching site when it comes to domains expiring that were registered with Net Sol.

The only other weak possibility is a backorder existed at Net Sol and was caught and never made it to auction.
Net Sol does it's backordering through NameJet. If it would have been backordered, I would have seen that and it would have gone to auction because like I mentioned above, all expiring domains with Net Sol go through NameJet.

Is the name under privacy or can you see details of owner?
The whois was public before it expired, but now just has the typical Net Sol whois info that every domain has when it expires with them.

Last edited:
•••
Isn't there a direct option to do this? I think there is a website that lets you input your domain and it will directly state the exact daw that you are looking for. There are some discrepancies as far as I know because there are some information that falls short or shoots beyond the exact date.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back