Dynadot

discuss How long did it take from getting ito Domaining and then selling your First 4 Figure Domain ?

NameSilo
Watch

Bhanu Kiran

Established Member
Impact
Hello Guys,
From The point of Getting into Selling Domains , How long did it take for you Guys to Start selling 4 Figure Domain sales or Retail sales ? and how many Domains did you Hold when you sold your first 4 Fig Domain Sale ?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hi , I sold my first 4 fig domain and first domain about 3 months after being in domaining.
At that time I had around 100 domains ( more than half useless )
I sold another one a week ago , again in 4 fig range.
Usually years can pass before selling your first domain.
The most important thing is to have good domains , sales will come.

•••
@Yanosh You Started well then. Good to Know .I Started Domaining Seriously a year ago ,Sold a Total of 4 domains over 5 years ,but yet to Have a 4 Figure sale , Hopefully will in the Coming Months

Last edited:
•••
@Yanosh You Started well then. Good to Know .I Started Domaining Seriously a year ago ,Sold a Total of 4 domains over 5 years ,but yet to Have a 4 Figure sale , Hopefully will in the Coming Months
I got lucky
I’m sure 4 fig sales will come !

•••
I got lucky
I’m sure 4 fig sales will come !
Whats your portfolio size and how many years to come to that ? Can you tell the price of your 4 fig dom sale ?

•••
I’m around 200 domains , in 6 months.
Probably too fast.
Yeah I sold a domain for 1500$ and one for 2800$

•••
Did you Buy any domains from Godaddy Auctions or so ,are all your domains Drop reg , How many are backorders ?

Last edited:
•••
mostly hand reg
Lately I’m going with dropcatch and auctions
The 2800$ sale was from a domain I got on auction !

•••
whats the domain name , if you could tell , how much did you pay ?

Last edited:
•••
I am happy For you , You are selling Domains Pretty Fast compared to others who got Started , What landers are you using . Afternic BIN / Dan / ... ?

Last edited:
•••
It took me about 20 months, and I had maybe 250-300 domains or so.

Here's the sale.

•••
Last edited:
•••
Patience is the name of the game :angelic:, isnt it
Well yes it is, but I didn't have that many domains from the start. I built up the portfolio over time, while building my ability to identify good domains.

Think of it as a staircase. First step is selling for XXX while building a skill set. A couple of years later you might be ready for the next step, selling for X,XXX, while upgrading your skill set to be ready for the third step. And so on...

•••
@DrJacoby Very Right , I am Building the Domains for the X,XXX range right now while keeping Set of Domains in XXX range so they provide some constant income frequently .

•••
I am slow :oops: it took me over 3 years, and many $$ and $$$ sales, before the first $$$$. I did not start with a significant startup investment (less than$100 total), and only used revenue from domains to invest in other domains, so my growth profile was slow.

I started with a portfolio of about 25 in first year, but all low cost discounted acquisitions. As I made money with $$ sales gradually got more, and slightly better, names, but still only $$$ and less sales over next few years.

Without some digging I can't find the precise number of names I had at that time, but I suspect around 250, but many were low quality experiments. It is somewhat sad that the name I first sold just above $1000 has gone utterly unused. The new owner did not even change the DNS settings, so it sits today with the registrar lander I had when I sold it. I am not going to release the name here, but it was a somewhat uncommon, dictionary word, plural .com.

For those starting out, I really support the view expressed by @DrJacoby :
Think of it as a staircase. First step is selling for XXX while building a skill set. A couple of years later you might be ready for the next step, selling for X,XXX, while upgrading your skill set to be ready for the third step. And so on...

Success in domain investing depends on many subtle skills not all obvious or easy to quickly master. Build up in steps. It was only 2 months after the first $$$$ that I had another 4-figure sale, a short .org name, and the first $2500+ sale came within about a year of that, so while it can seem slow and you doubt yourself reaching that 4-figure plateau, odds are once you reach it it will not be long until you have a number of sales at that range.

It can still seem like a long time between sales, but I have had 8 4-figure sales in the most recent 12 months, but now I have many more domains (about 450 'keeper' and around 800 shorter term one or two year trials). I am still learning each week, and keys to success are discipline, hard work, and always learning.

-Bob

Last edited:
•••
Thanks @Bob Hawkes For Repling , I too Started with around 25- 30 Domains and made sold two XXX Sales over the next 2- 3 Years (so a bit Similar on that Side :sneaky:) , seeing those Sales iam now more into domaining since Past 1 year Have about 330 domains not yet have a XXXX Dom sale . Im trying to Price more of my Domains in 4 figs so i can Finally Make it , Any Tips would be appreciated

Last edited:
•••
Any Tips would be appreciated
My number one tip: Quality of domains >>> quantity of domains

Meaning that I see many NP members trying to quickly buy more names when they should instead be focusing on learning what constitutes a good name, and then applying that knowledge. By dropping the worst names, and only buying names that are better than their current names, the portfolio will slowly but steadily improve. This will allow them to raise prices AND achieve a higher STR. This combination – higher prices * higher STR – will have a tremendous effect on profit margins. Reinvest profits.

Keep this up year after year and you will be unstoppable.

Last edited:
•••
My first sale was 4k
The opposite happened to me haha. First sale was 4k, then 3k x 2, last sale was 2k. Let's see next.. I don't think there is a specific path, it's a combination of luck, portfolio quality and end user timing. My 4K sale a year ago still has my nameservers, the name has not been used so far.
However, improving the portfolio quality could lead to xxxx sales, but still depends on various factors I guess.

Last edited:
•••
My number one tip: Quality of domains >>> quantity of domains

Meaning that I see many NP members trying to quickly buy more names when they should instead be focusing on learning what constitutes a good name, and then applying that knowledge. By dropping the worst names, and only buying names that are better than their current names, the portfolio will slowly but steadily improve. This will allow them to raise prices AND achieve a higher STR. This combination – higher prices * higher STR – will have a tremendous effect on profit margins. Reinvest profits.

Keep this up year after year and you will be unstoppable.
Thanks For the Advice , Dropping Bad names and buying names that are better than the current names and so slowly Increases quality and so raising prices is a Good Strategy

Last edited:
•••
The opposite happened to me haha. First sale was 4k, then 3k x 2, last sale was 2k. Let's see next.. I don't think there is a specific path, it's a combination of luck, portfolio quality and end user timing. My 4K sale a year ago still has my nameservers, the name has not been used so far.
However, improving the portfolio quality could lead to xxxx sales, but still depends on various factors I guess.
Awesome Start :xf.smile: , were Most of your Domains when you sold your First XXXX Dom names Drop reg / bought from Auction / Backorder . Also What landers did you Use . How much part or Percent t of your Porfolio had 4 Figure BIn Prices ( a Bit mor detail on Pricing would help )

Last edited:
•••
Hello Guys,
From The point of Getting into Selling Domains , How long did it take for you Guys to Start selling 4 Figure Domain sales or Retail sales ? and how many Domains did you Hold when you sold your first 4 Fig Domain Sale ?It
It took 7 days way back in 2008I sold CozyPub.com for $1000 using SnapNames.com

•••
It only took me 6 years to crack a 7 figure sale.

But it took me about 14 years to crack my first 4 figure sale.

It makes no sense.

•••
It only took me 6 years to crack a 7 figure sale.

But it took me about 14 years to crack my first 4 figure sale.

It makes no sense.
Wow ! Really, Ru Kidding ! 7 Figure means a Million $ sale ,could you tell us the domain name , Saleprice , Etc . Thanks for sharing

Last edited:
•••
Wow ! Really, Ru Kidding ! 7 Figure means a Million $ sale ,could you tell us the domain name , Saleprice , Etc . Thanks for sharing
#39 https://www.aftermarket.com/highest-domain-sales-of-all-time
#40 https://www.domainholdings.com/recent-sales/highest-domain-sales-of-all-time/

The sale price was $1.3M cash plus $1.3M in stock. The total realized value after selling the stock went well over the $2.2M estimated sale price. The initial offer was $10k. Don’t forget to HODL.

This is an interview with my Unicorn, who had just received $7M in VC funding. It was contingent on getting the domain name:

https://www.domainsherpa.com/steven-boal-coupons-interview/

Last edited:
•••
#39 https://www.aftermarket.com/highest-domain-sales-of-all-time
#40 https://www.domainholdings.com/recent-sales/highest-domain-sales-of-all-time/

The sale price was $1.3M cash plus $1.3M in stock. The total realized value after selling the stock went well over the $2.2M estimated sale price. The initial offer was $10k. Don’t forget to HODL.

This is an interview with my Unicorn, who had just received $7M in VC funding. It was contingent on getting the domain name:

https://www.domainsherpa.com/steven-boal-coupons-interview/
OK, I’m going to clarify something from the Domain Sherpa article. I registered Coupons.com in 1994. We sold it in 2000. That’s my six years. Yet Coupons.com Inc. claims in the article to have been founded in 1998. Why the discrepancy?

The domain was actually sold to Xadvantage Corp., who had been founded in 1998. Immediately on purchasing the domain, they changed their entire corporate brand to that of the domain name. The corporate entity was founded in 1998, but the branding wasn’t.

This type of situation can actually have a detrimental effect on the seller, because it essentially steals time away from your prior ownership. You can point to the sale date, but unless there’s industry confirmation, the buyer’s press release makes you into a liar. Which you’re not.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back