IT.COM
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Sykology

Established Member
Impact
I have only recently decided to try to make money selling domains. So far, I have struggled to find a way to sale the 4 domain names I have bought. I am just wondering, how long did it take most people to make their first sale, and by what medium?

I am trying to sale:
3dprintersafety.com
busyknitter.com
relaytraining.com
clickbliss.com

...and not succeeding. I know it takes time, like anything, but how long did it take you?

Thanks!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
clickbliss.com is fine ...try to list it in Namerific or Brandbucket ...gud luck boss

•••
This thread has been very interesting - thanks to the contributors. (Very inspiring/useful for a first-time domainer).

A year or so ago I bought some domains that were freely available and never registered before - but that's because they were terrible names, and it was only me that thought they were cool!

I'm now approaching this again - looking at name drops, marketplaces, etc.

Thanks for all the help thus far!

•••
I took a month to sell my first domain. It was hand registered. It didn't sell for a big price but I did make a 100% profit.. :D

•••
Although it often does take people weeks or months to get their first domain sale, in reality you could sell a domain in 24 hours or less. All that's required is

(1) A good domain
(2) A cheap asking price
(3) A list of people who realistically ought to buy
(4) Time spent inviting them to purchase

My recommendation to every new domainer is to find someone who already sells domains successfully but who has an excess of inventory. He'll have better domains than you'd hand-register. If you're willing to sell something from his portfolio, you'll make money faster, waste less money on bad buys, and learn more quickly how to repeat the process for your own sales.

There are lots of domain owners out there who'd be happy to let you try selling some of their stuff. So I'm not just talking about myself.

•••
[...]

My recommendation to every new domainer is to find someone who already sells domains successfully but who has an excess of inventory. He'll have better domains than you'd hand-register. If you're willing to sell something from his portfolio, you'll make money faster, waste less money on bad buys, and learn more quickly how to repeat the process for your own sales.

Well, it's most likely the opposite. Expert domainers tend to sell mostly domains they've already tried to sell to end-users with no success.

•••
Well, it's most likely the opposite. Expert domainers tend to sell mostly domains they've already tried to sell to end-users with no success.

Not sure we're talking about the same thing at all.

•••
•••
•••
I'm not sure this would be a good practice.
Don't you think there are high chances the domain will be "compromised" by some kind of aggressive and/or spammy methods of sales.

•••
Back on track with the original thread. It took me exactly 20 days after I started buying domains to have one of them sold in NameCheap's marketplace. Hand reg turned into 108$ after NC got their provision. Felt great, but ...

... that was roughly 4 months ago and and I've been awaiting second sale since, despite the fact that my pigeon shit collection improved over time. I'd say it's much clearer to me now that in domaining good things do NOT come those to wait, but rather those who go "door to door", offering goods to at least mildly interested parties.

•••
I guess mine would be zero days, I had an end-user contact me and buy my semi-developed web site. I owned the .com and he owned an alternative extension. That was the first moment it occurred to me that I could resell domains. And then, like a complete rookie ( which I was ), I did a nominal amount of research, and registered a bunch of .bz domains, thinking of course people would want an extension that almost looks like 'business', lol. The domain business has a fairly harsh and unforgiving learning curve if you do not take the time to approach domaining in a proper, professional manner.

•••
3 months in my case for a $ 500 domain sale .. end user contacted me directly via Whois

•••
I have only recently decided to try to make money selling domains. So far, I have struggled to find a way to sale the 4 domain names I have bought. I am just wondering, how long did it take most people to make their first sale, and by what medium?

I am trying to sale:
3dprintersafety.com
busyknitter.com
relaytraining.com
clickbliss.com

...and not succeeding. I know it takes time, like anything, but how long did it take you?

Thanks!

Keep at it. I sold my very first domain that i purchased about 2 weeks after purchasing it. I was actually thinking of leaving domains alone until i got that email from GoDaddy. Point is just be persistent

•••
I'm a total n00b as well, only doing so for a month. It took about 2 weeks for my first domain sale. It was cheaply priced on Sedo for 60 dollars as I was mainly testing to learn how the Sedo process works. Who knows if the name could have gone for more, but hey no complaints from me, only a $4 hand reg :)

What name did you hand register?

•••
About three or four months. $79 drop for $1,650 ... I had it listed for $3k but the buyer really beat me down with the silent treatment and I just wanted to make my first sale.

•••
Back to the original question: I made my first sale of $850 after four months of domaining and had about 40 domains at the time. It sold on GD after a bit of negotiation. Since then I've had a few really small sales, but no more good ones yet. For me, trying to stay patient is the hardest part of the business.

•••

I am trying to sale:
3dprintersafety.com
busyknitter.com
relaytraining.com
clickbliss.com

Thanks!

Most probably your listed domains would be really hard to sell irrespective of the fact that for how long you renew the same.

My first sale came after 3 months when I started in 2016 and now I have sales on daily basis

•••
I bought some that I consider good ones for $60 each and sold them for over a thousand each, They were slow moving but they sold, if you get enough of these over time, you will see some sales.. And then you can step it up, buying better names.

For me, I've always had full time employment and treat domaining as a side business, not depending on it for anything other than park revenue to pay my renewals, and when a big sale comes a long, most of it now goes in the bank... If you have the right outlook on domaining, you wont be so disappointed.

You can also get into development like one poster suggested, If you have the time, (and it takes plenty) that's what I would be doing.

Whatever you decide, I wish you the best of luck.
I hope you don't take offense to what I post here, but IMO 3 out of the 4 names you listed would be considered "Pigeon sh*t" by most.

I like RelayTraining, but with 28,000 results I wouldn't invest too much in it. How long before a name like that sells? I don't think anyone here can answer that.. Domaining is a numbers game, the more domains you have, the higher potential you have of making sales, the same applies to quality, But with very HIGH quality domains that most of us cant afford, you don't need a large number of them to attract buyers.

You asked about my first domain sale, I had roughly 50 domains before I made my first sale, and that was after 3 months, I didn't use that money to pay bills or buy a designer purse, I re-invested that money in more domains, and when I sold another, I re-invested it again, and over time the domains I was acquiring were better and pricier, then came my first really big sale of $30,000, this was shortly after my first year in domaining.

What I suggest you do is, build UP your portfolio with better quality domains, desirable domains that end users want.. And when backordering a domain, don't settle for pigeon sh*t, it's better to spend $1000 on one good domain than $1000 on a dozen crappy ones.

Once you have your portfolio built up, sales will likely come your way.. Domaining is NOT a get rich quick business like so many newbs believe, you need to put A LOT into it before you can even think about get something out of it, your NOT even there yet, NOT even close with your 4 domains.

Good luck!

I am trying to sell 2 domain names which are
1. buildcalories.com
2. decorandom.com

Do you think these names can be sold for higher price and be profitable for me or is it just a waste??

•••
1. buildcalories.com
2. decorandom.com

Do you think these names can be sold for higher price and be profitable for me or is it just a waste??

•••

I am trying to sale:
3dprintersafety.com
busyknitter.com
relaytraining.com
clickbliss.com

Thanks!

First step before selling domain more important than reg thousand or million bad domain name. Good name almost sell faster than other , its doesn't matter whatever TLD / gTLD we choose, usually I sell domain 1 - 2 month , sometime more than 1 year. I don't focus on domain ,but focus on increasing revenue from domain portfolio.

Dream to sell domain for 1 million is okey, but every time we need realistic income to cover all cost, Evaluate our pockets before acquiring another name. $ 1000 cash in our pockets is better than $ 1.000.000 in our dream

Last edited:
•••
Recently restarted domaining. Sold my first for $100 3 weeks in but it's been nearly two months with no sales.

Learning the hard way , and made some stupid mistakes, but the key is persistence and to keep learning.

•••
3weeks with 7domains in portfolio then.

•••
I hope you don't take offense to what I post here, but IMO 3 out of the 4 names you listed would be considered "Pigeon sh*t" by most.

I like RelayTraining, but with 28,000 results I wouldn't invest too much in it. How long before a name like that sells? I don't think anyone here can answer that.. Domaining is a numbers game, the more domains you have, the higher potential you have of making sales, the same applies to quality, But with very HIGH quality domains that most of us cant afford, you don't need a large number of them to attract buyers.

You asked about my first domain sale, I had roughly 50 domains before I made my first sale, and that was after 3 months, I didn't use that money to pay bills or buy a designer purse, I re-invested that money in more domains, and when I sold another, I re-invested it again, and over time the domains I was acquiring were better and pricier, then came my first really big sale of $30,000, this was shortly after my first year in domaining.

What I suggest you do is, build UP your portfolio with better quality domains, desirable domains that end users want.. And when backordering a domain, don't settle for pigeon sh*t, it's better to spend $1000 on one good domain than $1000 on a dozen crappy ones.

Once you have your portfolio built up, sales will likely come your way.. Domaining is NOT a get rich quick business like so many newbs believe, you need to put A LOT into it before you can even think about get something out of it, your NOT even there yet, NOT even close with your 4 domains.

Good luck!

Thanks @raidergirl. Needed to read that today:xf.smile:

•••
First step before selling domain more important than reg thousand or million bad domain name. Good name almost sell faster than other , its doesn't matter whatever TLD / gTLD we choose, usually I sell domain 1 - 2 month , sometime more than 1 year. I don't focus on domain ,but focus on increasing revenue from domain portfolio.

Dream to sell domain for 1 million is okey, but every time we need realistic income to cover all cost, Evaluate our pockets before acquiring another name. $ 1000 cash in our pockets is better than $ 1.000.000 in our dream

1. buildcalories.com
2. decorandom.com

•••
6 months and having about 50 domains. Which I guess makes me average when a 2% sell through rate per year is often quoted as an average. As 2% would be 1 out of 50.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back