Dynadot

How good is NameSilo?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hello Guys,

I want to know about namesilo. How good they are? Any disadvantage having domains with them?

Currently I am using Godaddy, Name.com and namecheap

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I don't see why not transfer/reg a domain there and try them out.

ICANN accredited, straight and aggressive pricing, looks like most features you'd want are there free (minus email forwarding?) and, bonus, API for everyone.

I know I will try them out in the very near future.

•••
We'd gather some data before we go with any company. Before this I tried out DotEasy and my total experience was BAD!. They will ask you fees for domain transfer out from their network.

•••
I've never heard of them but if they're accredited, I suppose trying them out shouldn't hurt.

•••
Give us a try - you won't be disappointed

I am with NameSilo and I just saw this thread. I certainly hope you give us a try. We pride ourselves on being straightforward with no deceptive ploys in pricing or policies of any kind. Our pricing is very good and our interface is powerful, yet simple to use. We also do not charge for any extra services such as WHOIS privacy, API access, DNS management or anything else. We also charge the same for renewals as we do for registrations so you do not need to worry about paying one price to "get in the door" and then another when it comes time to renew. And, to address your concern with the different registrar you tried, we certainly DO NOT charge any fees to transfer away if you are unhappy for any reason.

•••
It's not often when a worker from a site in question makes an appearance. You've already made your site look more credible with your reply. I'm a GoDaddyy guy myself but I might give you guys a shot sometime.

I am with NameSilo and I just saw this thread. I certainly hope you give us a try. We pride ourselves on being straightforward with no deceptive ploys in pricing or policies of any kind. Our pricing is very good and our interface is powerful, yet simple to use. We also do not charge for any extra services such as WHOIS privacy, API access, DNS management or anything else. We also charge the same for renewals as we do for registrations so you do not need to worry about paying one price to "get in the door" and then another when it comes time to renew. And, to address your concern with the different registrar you tried, we certainly DO NOT charge any fees to transfer away if you are unhappy for any reason.

•••
I read up on the site. overall is is less expensive than GD with Domainers Club to renew with privacy. I didnt see what their policy was on grace periods for renewels. How much time can pass and still be able to get a name back for regular pricing. GD has a good policy on that I think. I also didnt see how long they have been around.
But it it interesting, I am going to look further.

•••
I made 2 orders with them. Registered 1 domain and transferred 1 from name.com. I hope everything will be fine and I'll surely share my experience with you guys

•••
Cool - would love to have you give us a try. Perhaps I could entice you with a coupon? :)

We currently have coupon code "TRYNAMESILO" which discounts $2 off any registration or transfer order.

It's not often when a worker from a site in question makes an appearance. You've already made your site look more credible with your reply. I'm a GoDaddyy guy myself but I might give you guys a shot sometime.

---------- Post added at 03:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:40 AM ----------

Hi Meongtae,

You can find out expiration policies at http://www.namesilo.com/Support/Expiration-Process.

To answer your question regarding how long we've been around, the business was formed in December of 2009, and we "opened for business" in August of last year.

I read up on the site. overall is is less expensive than GD with Domainers Club to renew with privacy. I didnt see what their policy was on grace periods for renewels. How much time can pass and still be able to get a name back for regular pricing. GD has a good policy on that I think. I also didnt see how long they have been around.
But it it interesting, I am going to look further.

---------- Post added at 03:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:42 AM ----------

Great - thanks for the orders!

I am confident everything will go well, but please feel free to chat with us through the site, or email [email protected] with any questions or concerns.

I made 2 orders with them. Registered 1 domain and transferred 1 from name.com. I hope everything will be fine and I'll surely share my experience with you guys

•••
I gotta admit, they seem to be on the ball. Is that 2 dollars off the order? or two dollars off each name...I dont mean to be greedy, but figured I would ask.
Cheers,

•••
It's total $2 off not per name :)

•••
Hi Meongtae,

Yes, the coupon referenced above is a $2 discount for the entire order. However, we have another coupon code currently called "10COUP" that discounts 10% off the entire order (registrations or transfers) for any transaction over $20. Hope you'll give us a shot :)

I gotta admit, they seem to be on the ball. Is that 2 dollars off the order? or two dollars off each name...I dont mean to be greedy, but figured I would ask.
Cheers,

•••
•••
My first order with namesilo was 22 June 2011. At the moment I have 7 domains with them. I hope everything will ok for long time. Also they have WHMCS module too for reselling domains. I hope they will get hostbill module soon.

•••

This is not exactly true. They charge you $8.39 for renewals, whatever you paid for the original transfer/registration. Renewals are NOT at the same price as transfer/registration. At least according to Eric from support, who I have been corresponding with. Renewals are not discounted.

Most registrars are happy to tell you how many domains they have under their system, but at NameSilo, they will not tell you how many domains they control.

I've registered 1 domain with them to try them out, but at these renewal prices, I'll be moving it out when the year is up. I actually have 1,000's of domains to transfer, but at $8.39 for renewal, forget it. I can transfer domains at $7.38 but they want me to pay $8.39 for renewals, forget it.

Last edited:
•••
Stub:
webhosting.info/registrars/reports/total_domains/NAMESILO.COM

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
Thanks, sdsinc. That's not a lot and probably why they want to keep quiet about it. I'd double their registrations if I were to transfer my domains there. I'm not sure I like those odds. Being 50% of their business.

•••
Hi Stub,

Thanks for the post and please allow me to try to answer your questions/concerns:

This is not exactly true. They charge you $8.39 for renewals, whatever you paid for the original transfer/registration. Renewals are NOT at the same price as transfer/registration. At least according to Eric from support, who I have been corresponding with. Renewals are not discounted.

Sorry for any confusion here. I did not mean to suggest that we charged the same for renewals as people may have originally paid if they used a coupon or some other type of discount for the original registration. As you can see on our pricing page at http://www.namesilo.com/pricing.php, our renewal prices are the exact same as the cost for registering a domain without any discounts.

Most registrars are happy to tell you how many domains they have under their system, but at NameSilo, they will not tell you how many domains they control.

Sorry, this is company policy. The reason is that as soon as we give out the number of domains that we have under our control, it is almost immediately incorrect. Also, that information then gets posted around the web and gets stale, old and even more inaccurate.

I've registered 1 domain with them to try them out, but at these renewal prices, I'll be moving it out when the year is up. I actually have 1,000's of domains to transfer, but at $8.39 for renewal, forget it. I can transfer domains at $7.38 but they want me to pay $8.39 for renewals, forget it.

Sorry you are not happy with our pricing. We feel it is extremely competitive and far less than the published rates of the extreme vast majority of our competitors. If there is anything else I could do to help change your mind please let me know.

---------- Post added at 05:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:54 AM ----------

Thanks, sdsinc. That's not a lot and probably why they want to keep quiet about it. I'd double their registrations if I were to transfer my domains there. I'm not sure I like those odds. Being 50% of their business.

Hi again Stub.

In response to the link at webhosting.info/registrars/reports/total_domains/NAMESILO.COM, I can assure you that those numbers are extremely far from reality. Granted, we are a relatively new registrar (just opened for business less than a year ago), but our total registrations far exceed the number shown at the link above. Everyone needs to start somewhere, but I appreciate your concern. We hope that our pricing, free offerings for all add-ons, and focus on easy interfaces and powerful management tools will continue to allow us to experience fast growth and many return customers. Again, if there is anything I can do other than lowering our renewal prices for you to help you change your mind then please let me know. If not, best of luck with everythiing and thanks for giving us a shot.

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
Hi NameSilo,

Are you Eric at support[at]NameSilo.com?

I'm glad you clarified that your renewal pricing is not the same as what we pay to register or transfer. This was definitely my understanding (that it was the same). But now I know that the renewal price is the purchase/transfer price without any discounts. Meaning that it is higher than our renewal/transfer price with discounts. Then your offering no longer interests me.

If you won't lower your renewal pricing you will never get my business. I get renewals for $7.99 at Dynadot and for $7.87 at GoDaddy. So there is no way I am going to pay $8.39 at NameSilo.

What your transfer pricing is good for is as a transitional registrar where you can shave a few cents of a transfer and then transfer to your final destination 1 year later. Personally, I don't see that as a strategy for long-term survival. Too much bother for me, personally, but nevertheless still an attractive proposition for those with 100's or 1000's of domains.

But I will still test your system out with the one domain I registered.

Last edited:
•••
I transfered few domains to Namesilo few hours ago. I like the interface. The prices are very cometitive in my opinion if you need who is privacy for your domain. This is the main reason why I transfered the domains to Namesilo, free who is privacy, good price.

•••
Stub,

Are you using any Privacy Services with those $7.99 Dynadot or $7.87 GoDaddy renewal prices?

My main reason for looking to move to NameSilo is their inclusion of WHOIS Privacy, I think this may be the main benefit for others who are looking at NameSilo.

Another main reason for me, is an extra 15% on domain costs is well worth it for me to get rid of the bloated GoDaddy system. It drives me absolutely nuts.

I manage quite a large portfolio for companies as well as my own, and considering avg. profit of $400 per domain per year, I can more than afford an extra $1/year if the service warrants.

For me a combination of API, included Whois Privacy at that pricing, and just plain simple interface is reason for me to try them out.

I'll try to remember to come back to these forums and post my experience.

•••
I am appearing in this thread again. So far my experience with NameSilo is really good. Their prices are really competitive. Their interface is really simple. They have Free Whois Privacy + protection with 2 security questions on each change (optional). Also the free access to API is worth to try namesilo

•••
i never heard about what the bad thing is.
but in my mind, they are the cheapest one i ever found.
if they'll charge for domain transfer out, i thing it's possible. they need to get more money besides their cheap price. I bought 3 domains there last month

•••
Namesilo is good for me. I have several domains there. Cheapest i've ever found

•••
I put some 30 names with NameSilo, the first ones shortly after they started, and it is working well, plus I have the feeling that the additional layer of security they provide through secret questions is welcome.

Still, unless one needs private whois, they are slightly more expensive than Dynadot with bulk pricing. And I like very much Dynadot's interface - very pleasant and easy to use.

Nevertheless, NameSilo is a good option too, and I intend to continue to use them and move additional domain names to NS.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back