Domain Empire

How good is NameSilo?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hello Guys,

I want to know about namesilo. How good they are? Any disadvantage having domains with them?

Currently I am using Godaddy, Name.com and namecheap

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Will I transfer more domains to namesilo another week, paying $9.95? In this case I will need to select between this price, and Dynadot superbulk $9.57, or above-mentioned Porkbun, or GoDaddys "discount club"...
Long story short, I like NameSilo, but NameSilo should better think about specific domainers needs. In above mentioned example, not only NameSilo discourages us from routinely transferring-in more domains (by offering increased transfer-in price). There is one more issue. In com/net case, registrars have a right (not obligation!) to apply 60 days lock on such transfer-ins. NameSilo opts to lock such domains for 60 days. Competing registrars (dyna, porkbun) don't. So, if a domainer elects to transfer his com/net to NameSilo, not only he will pay increased price [vs. his new reg or renewal rate @ the same namesilo], but he may also be prevented from freely selling the domain within 60 days (what if the buyer wants authcode and does not want internal push?)

Last edited:
•••
From what we can see, Porkbun charges $9.73 for .COM on their website. Unfortunately, we cannot know what special prices are offered or what requirements those prices entail.
The regular @Porkbun price for .com ($9.73) is not a promotion. No matter how many domains you register, or have active in your account. Combined with ACH funding it's $9.22, also not a promotion. Your regular NameSilo price for .com is $10.95.

All I want to say is that you have made a "comparison" on your website that very selectively works out in your favor. You're certainly not cheap with .com registrations.

Last edited:
•••
Hi @namesilo

Every time I log into my Namesilo, it says “New device detected” and tries to send me an email, which I don’t receive after multiple attempts.

This prevents me from accessing my account!!

I then have to contact support who manually send me a code, which I do receive via my email.

I want to log into my Namesilo anytime I chose, from any device I chose, with my account credentials.

Why does this keep happening? If you want to send me a "new device" verification email, that's fine, however it's a problem on your end because I am not receiving the email. Yet receive the email after contacting support.

Thanks,

HotKey

ps. thanks for looking into this and anticipated resolution

Last edited:
•••
@namesilo, can you please tell me what has changed at NameSilo in the last period that now I have to pay VAT as a Romanian individual for my domain renewals?

I renewed some domains on 12 June 2023 and didn't have to pay any tax. The same was true before that.

Now, I renewed 20 domains on 27 June 2023 and I had the unpleasant surprise that I need to pay a total of $41 more on top of the $10.95 for each domain.

I'm not happy with that, and I'm seriously considering moving my domains to SAV because I'm already paying around $2 more per domain than what I would pay at SAV just by staying with NameSilo, and this new VAT thing is increasing the costs even more.

Thank you,

Alex
Sorry to be placing you in this conundrum.

But to clarify, the reason why we're charging VAT in Europe is because we have grown larger and need to start collecting tax. This is a European requirement when doing business there. In the near future, we imagine most other registrars will follow suit or risk running into trouble with European tax authorities.

As the old saying goes - in this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes.

•••
I noticed that for marketplace sales namesilo now generates extra emails with a subject "domain(.)com Account Push Notification" and body

"Hello <my name>,
This email is to notify you that you have just sent domain(.)com from your NameSilo account to <buyers login name>."

Please stop doing this. For security and privacy reasons, both passwords and login names should never be disclosed to any party, including marketplace sellers. Similarly, I expect that my sellers account login (as a source account) would not be disclosed to marketplace buyers.

Thank you.

@namesilo

Last edited:
•••
I would much rather keep my domains at NameSilo than transfer to Domain.com/Dotster.com/MyDomain.com/NetFirms.com crappy interface. I cannot think of 1 good reason, including price, to put myself thru the suffering of using their interface. Why the heck would you want to transfer away from NameSilo? Also. What NameSilo and others have said here is true. NetFirms support is crap and their control panel sucks. I'm transfer my domains in the reverse direction. In fact, I've stopped buying domains on NamePros which are registered at any of these 4 registers. Even if they are desirable.

Last edited:
•••
I just wanted to transfer some domains from Namesilo to netfirms.
Domain status in @namesilo is disturbing a lot.

Netfirms Message:
The status of these domains are set to 'clientHold'. So, we are unable to initiate domains transfer to us. So, please contact your current registrar 'NAMESILO, LLC' and ask them to unlock these domain or check the status of these domains xxxxxx.com and more..

If you have any further questions, please chat with us at http://www.netfirms.com/chat/ .

NameSilo Message:

They are wrong. Netfirms has many problems with domain statuses. Try transferring to any other registrar in the world and you will see it works which shows you the problem is with Netfirms.

How can i resolve this?

The best way to resolve this is to ask Netfirms to simply submit the transfer request to the registry and it will work with no problem. clientHold does not prevent transfers. When domains expire, we place them on clientHold status to ensure DNS does not resolve. This is helpful for people who are not aware their domain has expired in that their web site, email, etc. will no longer work. We believe this step alerts Registrants immediately to the fact that their domain has expired. However, this has absolutely nothing to do with the ability to transfer domains. You can confirm as such by trying to transfer to any registrar other than Domain.com or its resellers such as Netfirms as their platform has multiple issues regarding proper understanding and application of domain statuses. We are sorry you are having problems transferring your domain(s), but, again, we suggest simply asking Netfirms to submit the transfer request(s) to the registry and they will work with no problem. It takes them about 1 second to do so, and, once they do, the transfer(s) will proceed as any other.

•••
I couldn't imagine leaving Namesilo. They've bent over backwards for me. The only time I don't bring a domain to them is when an old domain is on accidental auto renew in GoDaddy.

High quality company.

•••
Long story short, I like NameSilo, but NameSilo should better think about specific domainers needs. In above mentioned example, not only NameSilo discourages us from routinely transferring-in more domains (by offering increased transfer-in price). There is one more issue. In com/net case, registrars have a right (not obligation!) to apply 60 days lock on such transfer-ins. NameSilo opts to lock such domains for 60 days. Competing registrars (dyna, porkbun) don't. So, if a domainer elects to transfer his com/net to NameSilo, not only he will pay increased price [vs. his new reg or renewal rate @ the same namesilo], but he may also be prevented from freely selling the domain within 60 days (what if the buyer wants authcode and does not want internal push?)
Fair points - thank you for your feedback. We'll have another think about how we run our transfer pricing. And we'll still launch the .COM transfer promo starting tomorrow for any users that wish to take advantage.

With respect to the 60 day lock - we have this policy in place to prevent abuse. We're obviously not trying to impact your ability to sell domains in any way but unfortunately, bad actors often take advantage of these gaps as well so we're forced to put stricter policies in place. However, we do make exceptions for long standing customers so if you have such a case, please contact our support team (live chat or email) and we'll unlock the 60 day lock.

•••
@namesilo

Domain transfers aren't getting discount program pricing applied to them anymore. Can you please check this bug?
To clarify, domain transfers are not included in our Discount Program as we typically already keep our domain transfers as low as we can. However, if you're enrolled in the Discount Program, then your transfer price should be the lower of the retail transfer price or the renewal price that you qualify for under the Discount Program. If this is not happening, please let us know.
Confirmed. Even though @namesilo wrote on previous page:

- it is no more the case. Hope it is a bug that will be fixed ASAP. In the meantime, I had no choice but to delay routine transfer-ins to namesilo :( - was planning to transfer-in more domains exactly today.
We have our developers investigating this matter urgently. In the meantime, we have launched a .COM transfer promo for $10.40 so you, and other impact customers, can continue forward with your domain transfers. If this is still higher than what you would qualify for under our Discount Program, you can still proceed forward with your domain transfers and email us at [email protected] and we'll issue a credit for the difference. Apologies for the inconvenience caused.

•••
That's definitely the best price for .com from any registrar. Let's all move to NameBright :) You get discounts at NameSilo based upon the amount of domains you have there. But nothing matches NameBright. Which requires just 1 domain.

That was months old post, Pricing is still great at NameBright for small portfolio owners.. but NameSilo beats NameBright and all other registrars at everything else. They have the best and fastest support out there.

•••
It will be great if NameSilo revert to the old UI.
Could not accustomed to this New UI.

And it seems a lot of customers do not like it too.

@Kristaps @ NameSilo

Last edited:
•••
Currently there is a glitch at NS that does not empty shopping cart after you pay to renew domains. So when doing your next transaction, you can easily renew those same domains twice if you don't clear those domain you have already paid for.

•••
I have contacted support before about removing the transfer lock and it was a pain to say the least. First line of support said it couldn't be done. Had to go back and forth many times before they said it could be done but that it would be an exception for only that time. Luckily, that domain only had around 3 days before the lock was going to be removed anyway so I didn't need to go through with that but I can't imagine what a pain it would be if the domain lock had many more days left or if a buyer insisted on getting it transferred out quickly.

Can NameSilo implement an option in the user control panel to disable the 60 day transfer lock completely? Dynadot has that option available in their user control panel. Even if it's just available to good standing customers it would be a big improvement for domainers compared to the current situation which is a big hassle.

Last edited:
•••
I have contacted support before about removing the transfer lock and it was a pain to say the least. First line of support said it couldn't be done. Had to go back and forth many times before they said it could be done but that it would be an exception for only that time. Luckily, that domain only had around 3 days before the lock was going to be removed anyway so I didn't need to go through with that but I can't imagine what a pain it would be if the domain lock had many more days left or if a buyer insisted on getting it transferred out quickly.

Can NameSilo implement an option in the user control panel to disable the 60 day transfer lock completely? Dynadot has that option available in their user control panel. Even if it's just available to good standing customers it would be a big improvement for domainers compared to the current situation which is a big hassle.
Thanks for your feedback - we have passed this along to our product team to look further into. And we'll also re-train our support agents around 60 day locks and how to remove them.

As for transfer-in price, it is clear that namesilo no more wants to offer almost "at cost" pricing system-wide and permanently. You increased it but forgot about a side effect on bulk account holders. So, since it now completely clear what happened and how, please solve it :) Technically - without changing the code - the most logical thing would be to set this price to be the same to what the largest accounts [5,000+ domains] pay for regs and renewals. So, it would still be profitable to namesilo, you will start receiving more business both from retail and bulk customers, and existing bulk customers would no more complain about overpaying for transfers. Imho...
Thank you! We will re-look at our transfer pricing going forward as well. In the meantime, our $9.35 transfer promo for .COM is now live. Transfers for .COM domains are now the same price as our lowest .COM renewal tier. We hope you enjoy!

•••
@namesilo, can you please tell me what has changed at NameSilo in the last period that now I have to pay VAT as a Romanian individual for my domain renewals?

I renewed some domains on 12 June 2023 and didn't have to pay any tax. The same was true before that.

Now, I renewed 20 domains on 27 June 2023 and I had the unpleasant surprise that I need to pay a total of $41 more on top of the $10.95 for each domain.

I'm not happy with that, and I'm seriously considering moving my domains to SAV because I'm already paying around $2 more per domain than what I would pay at SAV just by staying with NameSilo, and this new VAT thing is increasing the costs even more.

Thank you,

Alex

Last edited:
•••
Sorry, but there are no changes. I still see unwanted connections to:

analytics.google.com
tr.snapchat.com
googleads.g.doubleclick.net
q.quora.com
bat.bing.com
api-aim.intercom.io
x.clarity.ms
/most if not all are blocked by adblock though/

Please fix this. Respecting both users privacy and GDPR is something one would expect from a serious registrar!
3rd party tracking can be somewhat acceptable (not welcomed!) on lets say homepage (affiliate tracking), but there should be no need to do this for logged-in users.
Hmm very strange, our marketing team has double checked and we are not seeing a number of these firing on our end. Are you able to please hard refresh to ensure you're not seeing a cached version of our site?

Also, please note that a few of these pixels (such as Doubleclick, Analytics, Clarity etc) need to continue running as they inform our marketing campaigns (i.e. for the purposes of excluding existing customers from seeing our ads) or product design flow. However, all of these services should be compliant with GDPR requirements.

Last edited:
•••
Give us a try - you won't be disappointed

I am with NameSilo and I just saw this thread. I certainly hope you give us a try. We pride ourselves on being straightforward with no deceptive ploys in pricing or policies of any kind. Our pricing is very good and our interface is powerful, yet simple to use. We also do not charge for any extra services such as WHOIS privacy, API access, DNS management or anything else. We also charge the same for renewals as we do for registrations so you do not need to worry about paying one price to "get in the door" and then another when it comes time to renew. And, to address your concern with the different registrar you tried, we certainly DO NOT charge any fees to transfer away if you are unhappy for any reason.

•••
•••
NameSilo rocks !

easy to use and informative interface, no BS pricing and pricing stability too.

I can't tell you about support cause I never had to use NameSilo support but that just shows you how good they really are.

•••
I wrote to NameSilo support that I can't empty my cart. They gave me the link to the old cart and that did the trick: I could finally delete the domain from my cart, without reappearing after I log-in again to NameSilo.

If anyone else is having this problem, here is the link to the old cart where you can click on "remove all" and empty the cart: https://www.namesilo.com/shopping_cart.php?force_old_cart=1

Thank you,

Alex

Attachments

• How to empty te cart at NameSilo if it isn't working.jpg
    How to empty te cart at NameSilo if it isn't working.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 72
•••
In terms of price, our .COM regs can be as low as $9.35 for our largest customers. This is available to all our customers who have 5,000+ active domains and are enrolled in our Discount Program. As far as we're aware of publicly, this is the lowest price amongst the largest registrars out there without straight up losing money on every registration.
Porkbun ACH pricing for .com is even lower at $9.22. This is including $0.18 ICANN fee, and available to even the smallest portfolio holders, like 1 domain. No minimum number of active domains is required.

•••
@namesilo

Strange that Porkbun is not listed in your comparison at https://www.namesilo.com/pricing

Transparency means that you should also compare with registrars that provide way lower pricing. Especially on a page titled "Best Domain Prices".

Last edited:
•••
I have to agree, the regular prices are not great especially for renewals. NameSilo starts to have competitive prices when one has 2500 or 5000 domains in their account but that is not a very attractive option. Promotions are nice but NameSilo needs to become more competitive in their regular pricing without such requirements or at least lowering the requirements.

Last edited:
•••
So, assigning account managers to bulk account seems to be the only way to deal with it! @namesilo

Having the option to completely disable the 60 day transfer lock directly in the user control panel would be the best and most ideal solution. Having support be able to remove the 60 day transfer lock quickly without wasting hours/days on back and forth communication on whether it can be done would be a good backup solution. Account managers assigned to good standing customers to deal with these kind of issues quickly is also another solution.

Abuse is a valid issue but if Dynadot, Porkbun and few other registrars can make it work without imposing the 60 day transfer lock I don't see why NameSilo can't.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back