IT.COM

How good is NameSilo?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hello Guys,

I want to know about namesilo. How good they are? Any disadvantage having domains with them?

Currently I am using Godaddy, Name.com and namecheap

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
@namesilo, can you please tell me what has changed at NameSilo in the last period that now I have to pay VAT as a Romanian individual for my domain renewals?

I renewed some domains on 12 June 2023 and didn't have to pay any tax. The same was true before that.

Now, I renewed 20 domains on 27 June 2023 and I had the unpleasant surprise that I need to pay a total of $41 more on top of the $10.95 for each domain.

I'm not happy with that, and I'm seriously considering moving my domains to SAV because I'm already paying around $2 more per domain than what I would pay at SAV just by staying with NameSilo, and this new VAT thing is increasing the costs even more.

Thank you,

Alex
Sorry to be placing you in this conundrum.

But to clarify, the reason why we're charging VAT in Europe is because we have grown larger and need to start collecting tax. This is a European requirement when doing business there. In the near future, we imagine most other registrars will follow suit or risk running into trouble with European tax authorities.

As the old saying goes - in this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes.

•••
@namesilo

Can you consider minimization of tracking (spying cookies, etc)? Optout? The users, including logged-in users, are sharing too much with various external services:

o.clarity.ms
googleads.g.doubleclick.net
q.quora.com
tr.snapchat.com
analytics.google.com
bat.bing.com

- I see connections to these "services" doing routine domain management.
Why is this?

•••

NameSilo is very good for me. Thanks​

Game Show Applause GIF by ABC Network

•••
@namesilo

Can you consider minimization of tracking (spying cookies, etc)? Optout? The users, including logged-in users, are sharing too much with various external services:

o.clarity.ms
q.quora.com
tr.snapchat.com
analytics.google.com
bat.bing.com

- I see connections to these "services" doing routine domain management.
Why is this?
Thank you for the valuable feedback. We shared this with our marketing team and a number of these inactive pixels have since been removed. Can you please confirm again if you're seeing them on your end?

•••
Can you please confirm again if you're seeing them on your end?
Sorry, but there are no changes. I still see unwanted connections to:

analytics.google.com
tr.snapchat.com
q.quora.com
bat.bing.com
api-aim.intercom.io
x.clarity.ms
/most if not all are blocked by adblock though/

Please fix this. Respecting both users privacy and GDPR is something one would expect from a serious registrar!
3rd party tracking can be somewhat acceptable (not welcomed!) on lets say homepage (affiliate tracking), but there should be no need to do this for logged-in users.

•••
Sorry, but there are no changes. I still see unwanted connections to:

analytics.google.com
tr.snapchat.com
q.quora.com
bat.bing.com
api-aim.intercom.io
x.clarity.ms
/most if not all are blocked by adblock though/

Please fix this. Respecting both users privacy and GDPR is something one would expect from a serious registrar!
3rd party tracking can be somewhat acceptable (not welcomed!) on lets say homepage (affiliate tracking), but there should be no need to do this for logged-in users.
Hmm very strange, our marketing team has double checked and we are not seeing a number of these firing on our end. Are you able to please hard refresh to ensure you're not seeing a cached version of our site?

Also, please note that a few of these pixels (such as Doubleclick, Analytics, Clarity etc) need to continue running as they inform our marketing campaigns (i.e. for the purposes of excluding existing customers from seeing our ads) or product design flow. However, all of these services should be compliant with GDPR requirements.

Last edited:
•••
Are you able to please hard refresh to ensure you're not seeing a cached version of our site?
What exact thing do you suggest to refresh? I'm logged in and doing routine domain management. This may include domain searches in domain manager, changing DNS, domain renewals, doing marketplace-related stuff. My browser constantly shows the following in the bottom (current page status): "Waiting for q.quora.com..." for example, making the page appearing as not fully loaded. Must be because I use adblock. Should I wait 1 or 2 minutes, it would stop trying to connect with the site in question, and namesilo page will appear as finally loaded. All namesilo-related page parts are fine and loaded immediately. The list I pasted includes websites it tried to connect to when I was logged-in recently.

•••
I noticed that for marketplace sales namesilo now generates extra emails with a subject "domain(.)com Account Push Notification" and body

"Hello <my name>,
This email is to notify you that you have just sent domain(.)com from your NameSilo account to <buyers login name>."

Please stop doing this. For security and privacy reasons, both passwords and login names should never be disclosed to any party, including marketplace sellers. Similarly, I expect that my sellers account login (as a source account) would not be disclosed to marketplace buyers.

Thank you.

@namesilo

Last edited:
•••
I noticed that for marketplace sales namesilo now generates extra emails with a subject "domain(.)com Account Push Notification" and body

"Hello <my name>,
This email is to notify you that you have just sent domain(.)com from your NameSilo account to <buyers login name>."

Please stop doing this. For security and privacy reasons, both passwords and login names should never be disclosed to any party, including marketplace sellers. Similarly, I expect that my sellers account login (as a source account) would not be disclosed to marketplace buyers.

Thank you.

@namesilo
Thank you for the feedback. Agreed, we will work to change these emails going forward and exclude any domain/account specific info included.

•••
Thank you for the feedback. Agreed, we will work to change these emails going forward and exclude any domain/account specific info included.
Should that apply to any domain push at Namesilo, or are we only talking about market sale pushes at Namesilo?

•••
Should that apply to any domain push at Namesilo, or are we only talking about market sale pushes at Namesilo?
In case of manual pushes, it would be good to implement a separate "push username" (Dynadot way)...

•••
Two+ weeks. No changes :( . On a side note, current Namesilo team received a perfect thoughtful system from the original founders (Michael Goldfarb and Michael McCallister), please do not change the things unless absolutely necessary... If it works don't fix it!

•••
@namesilo

Domain transfers aren't getting discount program pricing applied to them anymore. Can you please check this bug?

•••
Namesilo is nice & cheap. Good customer service and easy to use interface, plus free privacy, email forwarding, and other great perks.

•••
Domain transfers aren't getting discount program pricing applied to them anymore.
Confirmed. Even though @namesilo wrote on previous page:
Going forward, we have also revised our transfer prices so anyone who participates in our Discount Program will receive the lower of our retail transfer price or the Discount Program renewal price available to you. So this will help address the case where you see a lower renewal price through the DP but a higher transfer price.
- it is no more the case. Hope it is a bug that will be fixed ASAP. In the meantime, I had no choice but to delay routine transfer-ins to namesilo :( - was planning to transfer-in more domains exactly today.

•••
Two+ weeks. No changes :( . On a side note, current Namesilo team received a perfect thoughtful system from the original founders (Michael Goldfarb and Michael McCallister), please do not change the things unless absolutely necessary... If it works don't fix it!
Apologies for the delay. This revised email should now be live on any domain pushes:

Hello Customer,
This email is to notify you that you have just sent domain(.)TLD from your NameSilo account.
Thanks,
NameSilo.com Customer Service

•••
@namesilo

Domain transfers aren't getting discount program pricing applied to them anymore. Can you please check this bug?
To clarify, domain transfers are not included in our Discount Program as we typically already keep our domain transfers as low as we can. However, if you're enrolled in the Discount Program, then your transfer price should be the lower of the retail transfer price or the renewal price that you qualify for under the Discount Program. If this is not happening, please let us know.
Confirmed. Even though @namesilo wrote on previous page:

- it is no more the case. Hope it is a bug that will be fixed ASAP. In the meantime, I had no choice but to delay routine transfer-ins to namesilo :( - was planning to transfer-in more domains exactly today.
We have our developers investigating this matter urgently. In the meantime, we have launched a .COM transfer promo for $10.40 so you, and other impact customers, can continue forward with your domain transfers. If this is still higher than what you would qualify for under our Discount Program, you can still proceed forward with your domain transfers and email us at [email protected] and we'll issue a credit for the difference. Apologies for the inconvenience caused.

•••
If this is still higher than what you would qualify for under our Discount Program, you can still proceed forward with your domain transfers and email us at [email protected] and we'll issue a credit for the difference
It is higher. So I'll better wait for your devs to fix the things. I'm too busy (or, to be 100% honest, lazy) to email support, and there are no ticket numbers instantly returned as a reference (was the case before), and support agents are still anonymous (no names included in replies)...
If it ain't broke, don't fix it - something each developer should remember, we see one more proof as your devs are now _urgently_ investigating ;-(

•••
1701765448397.png

Awesome Seth Meyers GIF by Saturday Night Live

p.s. got caught:xf.smile::xf.wink::ROFL:

Last edited:
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back