IT.COM

discuss How do you spend/reinvest your domaining income?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Do you follow a plan of reinvesting x% in domain names.y% into some other investments like stockmarket or realestate etc.,?

I'll start with my case.I do this part-time and made decent profits in the past couple of years.So far,I reinvested 50% of them into domain names and spent the rest to clear my old debts.

From now on I want to reduce investment on domain names to 30% and planning to spend the rest to start a small business,Travel and may be some in stocks.

Share your methods and ideas here.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Interesting thread. The temptation to spend most of the money on new names is ever present.

•••
I normally had around 300-400 domains and still managed to make passive income of mid xx,xxx to low xxx,xxx. Not complaining, given that it is a side note of my primary business.

But in last 6 months, I have bought 3000+ names and probably invested more than I have made in sales ) I need to test few hypothesis that I had for some time and most of it is an academic interest. That and also the fact that because I have interest in web development and bunch of ideas, I tend to hoard names, so have to remind myself to still sell them )

Thankful that it is not my full time business, as it would have been quite stressful to be doing it full time.

•••
Domain sales profits have basically fueled my development projects. So basically free money to build something that brings in recurring monthly income instead of a one off deal. Currently at (49) active sites since 2003 which doesn't include the handful I aborted as they took too much work for the profit they brought in so I dumped or sold off the weaker ones over the years.

Last edited:
•••
That is easier said than done!
That can be a money pit if you're not an expert in that field with a golden idea.

True, but you do not need to be an expert. Mike Cyger wasn't when he started @DomainSherpa he borrowed the knowledge from others.

http://mikefrommaine.com/how-to-mon...gh-strategic-sponsorships-with-michael-cyger/

Of course now he is. :)

Domain sales profits have basically fueled my development projects. So basically free money to build something that brings in recurring monthly income instead of a one off deal. Currently at (49) active sites since 2003 which doesn't include the handful I aborted as they took too much work for the profit they brought in so I dumped or sold off the weaker ones over the years.

What type of sites @SpareDomains? Are these affiliate driven content sites? What industries and niches?

•••
What type of sites @SpareDomains? Are these affiliate driven content sites? What industries and niches?

My whole goal is to make money while I'm sleeping with minimal work. I'm assuming Social Security will be gone by the time I need it so my future planning is based on an IRA and website/domain sales income. If Social Security exists then it's a bonus but not in my projections.

On the domain sales end I contact nobody I let the buyers come to me which results in higher ROI so no work there other than responding to serious emails.

On the website end anything from domain registration, aftermarket domain sales, ticket brokerage, loans, insurance etc... I've tried quite a few niches. I get into stuff that I have to put a lot of effort into to get them jump started but then require minimal work once rolling as either partner white label stores or affiliate driven lead forms. Not a guy that writes articles and throws adsense on them. Either develop it decent or leave the domain for sale.

Some make dollars a day and others pay $400/lead. My goal is to continually reinvest to increase my recurring monthly revenue stream. Currently (49) sites and close to (450) domains for sale. When one sells I'll throw at least 50% into my development fund whether that's for a new site, advertising the existing sites etc... Have boxes of pens, t-shirts, car window decals etc... for a handful of my sites. Car decals work cause my car sits downtown Chicago with thousands stuck in traffic staring at it all day long as I strategically park the back window to the street, probably the best $100+ I've spent in terms of returns. Easier to launch something today than in 2003 as I can link from my other (49) sites to the new site along with having the capability of throwing links on my (450) domains for sale as I use my own sales pages so instantly almost 500 backlinks to anything I launch.

I think every domainer should at least try to build some form of recurring auto pilot income as there is nothing like waking up and checking stats to see you made some dough while you were snoozing or out having fun doing other things. If you feel you can't develop anything into profit then funnel 50% of sales profits into an IRA etc... so at least your profits builds your income for the future.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back