Dynadot
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

WhoaDomain.com

WhoaDomain.comTop Member
Impact
Hello,
My stubborn ass finally got around to using Google Keyword Planner. It's Awesome now realizing what people here thought my domains were CRAP. lol Live and Learn!

Anyways. I've stumbled on a tiny issue with understanding how to price my domains based on these monthly searches.

so here goes.

Say you have a domain like this.

Keyword1+ Keyword2 +.com

Do you tell the potential buyer that this domain should be based on the Monthly Searches for:

Keyword1 + Keyword 2 combined?

but what if:

Keyword1 + Keyword2 = Zero Monthly Searches or a paltry 1000 monthly searches?

Could your "fall back" be that

Keyword1 = 1000000 monthly search results?
and
Keyword2 = 500000 monthly search results?

or perhaps one of the keywords has Zero and thee other has a high number?

can you then legitimately say that your keyword1 + keyword2+.com domain = 1000000 monthly searches just because one of the keywords gets that much?

or MUST you stick to the fact that keyword1 + Keyword2 = ZERO??

could you effectively argue that technically the one Keyword with the high monthly searches is the winning ingredient in your domain propping it up so to speak?

or is it absolutely based on just keyword1 + keyword2+.com's monthly search volume?

also another thing too.

Are there any examples of domains that sold for high value but had very very low monthly searches? A domain that went completely against the rules?

if so why?

and another thing too. now that we have these gTLD's. how do they factor into the value of a domain?

for example. I've noticed that Travel.Agency sold for top dollar and no one here will question it. just accept it as fact. The take away for me is that

these new gTLD's really do factor into thee equation BUT.....is that SET IN STONE. here's why I'm asking.

before gTLD's came into the scene. it was all about .COM and still is.

When we talked about Keyword domains and their value. the .com never really factored into "keyword" angle yes?

It was always about the keywords to the LEFT of the DOT correct?

So back to gTLD's. the use of these new gTLD's as "keywords" is that something set in stone or is it something we can flip flop back and forth on depending on need?

For example. There is no doubt that Travel with thee extension .Agency is a WINNER. but what if Travel had an extension that totally has no relevance to the keyword to the left of the DOT? like.

Travel.Horse (lol) ( I do not own this! just hypothetical!)

So something like thee above. is the value of the word Travel Ruined by the extension .Horse? lol

or can a domainer say "hey! the keyword of this domain is technically Travel which gets 1,220,000 monthly searches. just ignore the "horse".

I mean before these new extensions came around when it came to keywords all that MATTERED was whatever was to the left of the DOT. have these new extensions changed everything or what?

I have several keywords that have high 1 million monthly searches but the extension ruins it because TOGETHER they have zero searches.

Bottomline?
Travel.com is worth millions.
Travel.Horse not worth millions but still worth something just because it is Travel?

I hope this wasn't too long I just wanted to ask this. hope some Guru replies back. I bet some newbies on here would love to see the replies on here. Thanks in advance.!

special thanks to Zandibot and NamePov.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Short answer - use GAKP as a tool to limit the number of domains you acquire and renew. Don't try to make sense of DNJ sales reports based on Google search results as there are many brandable .COMs which sell for $xxx to $XXXX which have practically zero search volume.

Domainers probably place more emphasis on search volume than the average end user (though you should understand the concept of keyword search volume as it relates to a value proposition to potential domain buyers). Note that EMDs (exact match domains) continue to have a search advantage at Bing & Yahoo but not nearly the search benefit they used to get at Google several years ago before Google changed its search algorithm. CPC also needs to be considered as it relates to how much advertisers are willing to pay Google to rank for a particular keyword. Regarding a new TLD such as Travel.Agency I would include the entire phrase but will not attempt to gauge how to factor search volume into new domain valuations.

•••
Travel.com is worth millions.
Travel.Horse not worth millions but still worth something just because it is Travel?

No! That doesn't make any sense at all. If you are buying keyword domains, they absolutely have to make sense. I would never consider the two words of a domain name independently.

I use GAKP for a couple of strategies. These include:

1. Understanding the mindshare of a particular industry. I don't really care if the keywords are 50, 1000, or 50,000 monthly search volume. I care more if the name is the best or one of the best names for the industry that it's in. For instance, if I'm evaluating some names to buy:

financialplanner.com
financialadvisor.com
financialadviser.com
financialanalyst.com
financialconsultant.com
financialdirector.com
financialexpert.com

I would put these keywords all into GAK, and figure out which of them has the biggest mindshare in their industry. If there are several other variations of the name that are much better than the one I'm looking at, then there's not much reason to chase after it. On the other hand, if I discover a name that is the leading term in it's industry, even with lower search volume, it might still be a good buy. As a seller, you'll have much more leverage over potential buyers, if you're holding one of the best names in the particular industry.

2. Finding names that potentially have traffic. Domains representing high search volume + high suggested bid + short length + less # of words (either 1 or 2 words) have the potential to have type in traffic and good revenue. In that case, you could buy the name in hopes that it would be able to earn just based on the parking rev.

•••
It's not going to make a difference when trying to sell your domains. Travel.agency sold for so much because it is a perfect match for those two words. People are judging it by a fraction of how valuable TravelAgency.com would be. Travel and horse have no reason being said next to each other, so it's valueless.

A domain with a big keyword might still end up in search engines, but the person searching still has to consider whether they want to click on a .com or a .horse (or other nTLDs). A pig with wearing makeup is still a pig.

•••
It's not going to make a difference when trying to sell your domains. Travel.agency sold for so much because it is a perfect match for those two words. People are judging it by a fraction of how valuable TravelAgency.com would be. Travel and horse have no reason being said next to each other, so it's valueless.

A domain with a big keyword might still end up in search engines, but the person searching still has to consider whether they want to click on a .com or a .horse (or other nTLDs). A pig with wearing makeup is still a pig.

Hahahaha oh man that made my morning! Reminds me of a few ex's!!! Thanks for the advice.

•••
Alrighty...I had a quick scan over your post...

1.) Apart from the search volume, you need to take CPC and competition into account also. For example, I would rather rank a site with 2500 search per month with a CPC of $6.50 and low competition than try rank a site with 100 000 searches per month with $0.50 CPC. and medium competition.

2.) From an SEO point of view some these new TLD's have awesome potential, using the example you mentioned... Travel.Agency - apart from it being highly brand-able, search engines would read that as TRAVEL AGENCY ... which has decent search volume and CPC. Travel.Horse on the other hand...lol

3.) Why do some domains with super low search volumes still get sold for a high prices? - This is mainly because they are highly brand-able, short or single word English dictionary or have certain meaning in certain cultures (Easiest example is all these 8 related domains)

•••
Alrighty...I had a quick scan over your post...

1.) Apart from the search volume, you need to take CPC and competition into account also. For example, I would rather rank a site with 2500 search per month with a CPC of $6.50 and low competition than try rank a site with 100 000 searches per month with $0.50 CPC. and medium competition.

2.) From an SEO point of view some these new TLD's have awesome potential, using the example you mentioned... Travel.Agency - apart from it being highly brand-able, search engines would read that as TRAVEL AGENCY ... which has decent search volume and CPC. Travel.Horse on the other hand...lol

3.) Why do some domains with super low search volumes still get sold for a high prices? - This is mainly because they are highly brand-able, short or single word English dictionary or have certain meaning in certain cultures (Easiest example is all these 8 related domains)

Reply to your #1. The perfect example to this is anything adult related yes?

Reply to you #2 not to sound stupid here but.... Ok you said that travel.agency Google would see it as travel agency? So with that mindset is Google seeing pretty much every .com as

ABC.com = ABC COM?

I'm guessing any keyword + COM(minus the dot) wouldn't have any monthly searches?

Does the Google algorithm see travel.agency as Travel Agency? And not see keyword.com as Keyword Com?lol

The only reason I asked is it seems "understood" and accepted these days post gtld coming into the market that whatever is to the right of the dot is "fair game" but what about good ole .com?

So from this point on when trying to find value in keywords instead of inputting into GAKP .....

Just the keyword?
Or
Should a domainer input instead thee entire domain minus the dot?

As we did with say travel.agency? (Travel agency)

•••
1.) nope, not only related to adult realted domains, this would apply to most niches.

2.) Googles algo's would read the word on the left of the (DOT) and the right of the (DOT) if the word on the right of the (DOT) is niche relevant and there are substantial searches for that search term like TRAVEL AGENCY then it would read it as both just TRAVEL and also TRAVEL AGENCY.

case in point:
http://www.domainnews.com/google-reads-coffee-club-as-coffee-club-european-domain-name-centre/

http://blog.europeandomaincentre.com/google-reads-coffee-club-as-coffee-club/

•••
First off thank you all for your input. Much appreciated .

So I know keyword + keyword + .com where both keywords have high monthly searches but what if only one is high and thee other has little to nothing? But it is an emerging market?

•••
try putting "common sense" into the equation, when thinking about sticking random kwds together.

imo...

•••
First off thank you all for your input. Much appreciated .

So I know keyword + keyword + .com where both keywords have high monthly searches but what if only one is high and thee other has little to nothing? But it is an emerging market?

No probs mate..... hmm.. best way i can try an explain is by using an example... (btw stick the domain into estibot just to see what keyword options it pulls up)

Lets say your domain was: PorscheCaymanRacingBanditos.com - so just for illustrative purposes lets assume that PorscheCayman is (KW1) and RacingBanditos is (KW2)

Porsche on it's own would loads of search volume so would Cayman and so with Racing but Banditos probaby not. Then "Porsche Cayman" would also have lots of searches and so would "Porsche Cayman Racing" as well as "Cayman Racing"

I think what you are basically asking is how would your present this domain to the market by mentioning that your domain has loads of searches for keywords within the domain BUT not all the keywords..., right?

If this is the case then I would go about this by saying something like

PorscheCaymanRacingBanditos.com for sale - More than XXXX XXXX TOTAL month searches for the various keyword combinations within the domain.

•••
No probs mate..... hmm.. best way i can try an explain is by using an example... (btw stick the domain into estibot just to see what keyword options it pulls up)

Lets say your domain was: PorscheCaymanRacingBanditos.com - so just for illustrative purposes lets assume that PorscheCayman is (KW1) and RacingBanditos is (KW2)

Porsche on it's own would loads of search volume so would Cayman and so with Racing but Banditos probaby not. Then "Porsche Cayman" would also have lots of searches and so would "Porsche Cayman Racing" as well as "Cayman Racing"

I think what you are basically asking is how would your present this domain to the market by mentioning that your domain has loads of searches for keywords within the domain BUT not all the keywords..., right?

If this is the case then I would go about this by saying something like

PorscheCaymanRacingBanditos.com for sale - More than XXXX XXXX TOTAL month searches for the various keyword combinations within the domain.

Lol nice way to explain it but I seriously doubt that would work with seasoned domain investors right?

Can that work for any potential buyer or simply people who don't know any better. Lol.

I wonder how many domainers purposefully registered 2 or 3 keyword domains in which at least one keyword was crap for monthly searches? And why? Are they banking in the future the crap keyword will eventually get higher monthly search volumes?

I've seen many a newbie mention their domains on NP only to be told they wasted money or don't bother registering. Myself included. I'm realizing now all the negative commented simply used GAKP to check out monthly searches of the newbie's 2 keyword domain. I wonder though do they ever bother checking the monthly searches of each of the keywords of the newbie's 2 keyword domain? I doubt it but would it even matter?

•••
Lol nice way to explain it but I seriously doubt that would work with seasoned domain investors right?

Can that work for any potential buyer or simply people who don't know any better. Lol.

I wonder how many domainers purposefully registered 2 or 3 keyword domains in which at least one keyword was crap for monthly searches? And why? Are they banking in the future the crap keyword will eventually get higher monthly search volumes?

I've seen many a newbie mention their domains on NP only to be told they wasted money or don't bother registering. Myself included. I'm realizing now all the negative commented simply used GAKP to check out monthly searches of the newbie's 2 keyword domain. I wonder though do they ever bother checking the monthly searches of each of the keywords of the newbie's 2 keyword domain? I doubt it but would it even matter?

Remember that search volume is not by any means the only deciding factor of a domain value, back in the good old says when exact match domains were literately GOLD!!! Because google hugely favored exact match domains and one could easily rank a site in a high competition niche with an exact match domain a little bit of content and a few backlinks... the magic pill used to be the exact match domain. These days whilst exact match domains do still have a little bit of clout they are no have as much importance as they used to. The focus now is on quality content! Content is king....You can even have a completley arb domain name not related to the niche even and outrank an exact match niche related domain purely based on quality content. I mean for example a site named something like LittleJohnnysAdventures.com could out rank FlyFishingAdvice.com for the exact match keyword "Fly Fishing Advice" by having better content and a good link profile.

So as much as search volume does influence the price of a domain, it is merely one of the criteria that we should look at. From a domainers point of view, off course we would highlight stuff like search volumes and stuff to try sell our domains but from an end user / Internet marketers point of view, you have to think about whats of more value to the website you are creating.... having an exact match domain that cost you $1000 or Having a non exact match domain, and spending that same $1000 on HIGH quality content and a few high quality links... Because I am a domainer and also an Internet Marketer I can see it from both sides of the fence and to be totally honest, I would hands down no question at all spend that money on content & links rather than a exact match domain.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back