IT.COM

question How Critical is Spam Score in your Domain Name Valuation?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

m1zz

Established Member
Impact
Hey all,

This question bugs me for a while now, because I'm seeing 5-6 figure sales of domain names that have a Spam Score of 50-80% which is ridiculous!

I'm a web developer/SEO guy so I know Google quite well.. Are those sales happening simply because the buyers are not aware of this factor? or maybe this isn't even a factor when domain investing??

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
As a domain investor, spam score is not really even something on my radar.

I just buy domains that are likely to appeal to end users.

Brad

•••
In two words, will say how “Spam score” to me:

More “Psuedostats”… End Quote.

Keep overthinking;

Worst is when these “Psuedostats” (ex: “DA”) are used to justify horrible names. Not my tea. Subjective business and some stats cant help. Everyone has a different “formula” for valuation

Can see the min. negligible, they play with me
and i further echo @bmugford’s sentiment

Samer

Last edited:
•••
I admit you might have to be concerned if you bought a domain “adsense blocked” though that seldom, if ever, experienced it personally.

Samer

Last edited:
•••

Brad
In two words, will say how “Spam score” to me:

More “Psuedostats”… End Quote.

Keep overthinking;

Worst is when these “Psuedostats” (ex: “DA”) are used to justify horrible names. Not my tea. Subjective business and some stats cant help. Everyone has a different “formula” for valuation

Can see the min. negligible, they play with me
and i further echo @bmugford’s sentiment

Samer

The end user (or at least some of them) will want a domain name with the most optimal conditions to be pushed to first page on Google.

The spam score is critical in a sense, because if it's higher then 10, your on Google's radar, higher than 25 you can forget about first page (unless you have about a gazilion backlinks from strong domains like forbes....)

I may be looking too much into it, but i guess there maybe end users that have different intents (and not necessarily to push the purchased domain to Google's first page)?

•••
people that have been doing seo for the longest don't care for age or spam score only new buyers/sellers do no idea why tho ^^'

•••
I admit you might have to be concerned if you bought a domain “adsense blocked” though that seldom, if ever, experienced it personally.

Samer
Oh yeah, i did too.. there's also a way to check whether google got a certain domain blacklisted, I'm sure that is critical.

•••
@m1zz times have changed unless your content is original and unique you will never rank 100 DA and 100 DR or 0 DA and 0 DR

content is king with SEO

Last edited:
•••
The end user (or at least some of them) will want a domain name with the most optimal conditions to be pushed to first page on Google.

The spam score is critical in a sense, because if it's higher then 10, your on Google's radar, higher than 25 you can forget about first page (unless you have about a gazilion backlinks from strong domains like forbes....)

I may be looking too much into it, but i guess there maybe end users that have different intents (and not necessarily to push the purchased domain to Google's first page)?

This is where you and i’s definition of
“end-users”, differ. you think the “Psuedostats” back FanTokens com valuation for 3M sale?
Ditto, for the priceless voice.com’s 30M sale

My point being, the “psuedostats” are used to back “second-tier” names, that might not look good, at least initially, but are some things the “eye test” cant unsee, even by stats.

Last edited:
•••
Didn't know what a spam score was until I read this thread soo... and nothing has changed now that I do.

•••
•••
If you are selling the domain name for its backlinks, I think the spam score will matter.

•••
Never looking at spam score. If the domain has a cultural or commercial and I can get it at a bargain price, I'll buy it. ecently bought fuer (for) dot org and was told by a fellow domainer that it was penalized by google previously, probably due to a horrenduous spam score. Don't think it matters much - a company can build a new website on it and eventually the spam score is void/ penalty lifted.

•••

Brad
  • The destination of a domain name is the end users

•••
Never looking at spam score. If the domain has a cultural or commercial and I can get it at a bargain price, I'll buy it. ecently bought fuer (for) dot org and was told by a fellow domainer that it was penalized by google previously, probably due to a horrenduous spam score. Don't think it matters much - a company can build a new website on it and eventually the spam score is void/ penalty lifted.
Can that really happen? Can you reduce spam score?

•••
Can that really happen? Can you reduce spam score?
I suppose. Once the old spammy links disappear/ break I guess the site gets re-evaluated by google.

•••
•••
Write enough relevant content and prove to yourself that you don't even need a good domain name. Do it with a type in and gain an instant audience.

•••
Write enough relevant content and prove to yourself that you don't even need a good domain name. Do it with a type in and gain an instant audience.
I always say content is king!

•••
where can one check the spam scores of a name and whether or not is has been blacklisted?

•••
•••
•••
New owner can contact the spam db and wipe out the spam history or any block. So there is no issue.

•••
I never check spam score for any of the domains I'm acquiring. What matters to me is that if the domain can be acquired by any enduser some day, then I go for it.

•••
New owner can contact the spam db and wipe out the spam history or any block. So there is no issue.
Never tried it.

I never check spam score for any of the domains I'm acquiring. What matters to me is that if the domain can be acquired by any enduser some day, then I go for it.
Sounds contradicting. Particularly in high value sales.

•••
Back