Dynadot

question How Critical is Spam Score in your Domain Name Valuation?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

m1zz

Established Member
Impact
Hey all,

This question bugs me for a while now, because I'm seeing 5-6 figure sales of domain names that have a Spam Score of 50-80% which is ridiculous!

I'm a web developer/SEO guy so I know Google quite well.. Are those sales happening simply because the buyers are not aware of this factor? or maybe this isn't even a factor when domain investing??

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
As a domain investor, spam score is not really even something on my radar.

I just buy domains that are likely to appeal to end users.

Brad

•••
In two words, will say how “Spam score” to me:

More “Psuedostats”… End Quote.

Keep overthinking;

Worst is when these “Psuedostats” (ex: “DA”) are used to justify horrible names. Not my tea. Subjective business and some stats cant help. Everyone has a different “formula” for valuation

Can see the min. negligible, they play with me
and i further echo @bmugford’s sentiment

Samer

Last edited:
•••
@m1zz times have changed unless your content is original and unique you will never rank 100 DA and 100 DR or 0 DA and 0 DR

content is king with SEO

Last edited:
•••
The end user (or at least some of them) will want a domain name with the most optimal conditions to be pushed to first page on Google.

The spam score is critical in a sense, because if it's higher then 10, your on Google's radar, higher than 25 you can forget about first page (unless you have about a gazilion backlinks from strong domains like forbes....)

I may be looking too much into it, but i guess there maybe end users that have different intents (and not necessarily to push the purchased domain to Google's first page)?

This is where you and i’s definition of
“end-users”, differ. you think the “Psuedostats” back FanTokens com valuation for 3M sale?
Ditto, for the priceless voice.com’s 30M sale

My point being, the “psuedostats” are used to back “second-tier” names, that might not look good, at least initially, but are some things the “eye test” cant unsee, even by stats.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Can that really happen? Can you reduce spam score?
I suppose. Once the old spammy links disappear/ break I guess the site gets re-evaluated by google.

•••
•••
I admit you might have to be concerned if you bought a domain “adsense blocked” though that seldom, if ever, experienced it personally.

Samer

Last edited:
•••

Brad
In two words, will say how “Spam score” to me:

More “Psuedostats”… End Quote.

Keep overthinking;

Worst is when these “Psuedostats” (ex: “DA”) are used to justify horrible names. Not my tea. Subjective business and some stats cant help. Everyone has a different “formula” for valuation

Can see the min. negligible, they play with me
and i further echo @bmugford’s sentiment

Samer

The end user (or at least some of them) will want a domain name with the most optimal conditions to be pushed to first page on Google.

The spam score is critical in a sense, because if it's higher then 10, your on Google's radar, higher than 25 you can forget about first page (unless you have about a gazilion backlinks from strong domains like forbes....)

I may be looking too much into it, but i guess there maybe end users that have different intents (and not necessarily to push the purchased domain to Google's first page)?

•••
Didn't know what a spam score was until I read this thread soo... and nothing has changed now that I do.

•••
Never looking at spam score. If the domain has a cultural or commercial and I can get it at a bargain price, I'll buy it. ecently bought fuer (for) dot org and was told by a fellow domainer that it was penalized by google previously, probably due to a horrenduous spam score. Don't think it matters much - a company can build a new website on it and eventually the spam score is void/ penalty lifted.

•••
Write enough relevant content and prove to yourself that you don't even need a good domain name. Do it with a type in and gain an instant audience.

•••
where can one check the spam scores of a name and whether or not is has been blacklisted?

•••
I don't check spam score. Actually, I've been away from domaining for many years and am just getting back into the game, and to be honest, this is the first time I've heard this term. LOL I'll do some research but I don't think I'll be that concerned with it.

•••
For domain investing, I do not care of spam score and I do not check it as well.

For SEO, one can disavow links using Google/Bing webmaster tools. I am not sure other search engines have this feature or not. I checked with DuckDuckGo but I did not find, may be I need to give more time to understand the DuckDuckGo search engine settings.

•••
I'm a blogger and I can easily say that you don't even need a good domain to start a blog or an affiliate site. Any extension will easily rank on the first page of Google if your content is well written and SEO optimized. Remember.... Like Neil Patel said, "Content is King."
The only thing you need to keep in mind is, Spam score should not be higher than 10%, DA should be high (like 30+), domain must not be banned by Google and you're good to go.
However, if your plan is to sell the domain, you need to register a good domain with lots of potential buyers.

•••
people that have been doing seo for the longest don't care for age or spam score only new buyers/sellers do no idea why tho ^^'

•••
I admit you might have to be concerned if you bought a domain “adsense blocked” though that seldom, if ever, experienced it personally.

Samer
Oh yeah, i did too.. there's also a way to check whether google got a certain domain blacklisted, I'm sure that is critical.

•••
•••
If you are selling the domain name for its backlinks, I think the spam score will matter.

•••

Brad
  • The destination of a domain name is the end users

•••
Never looking at spam score. If the domain has a cultural or commercial and I can get it at a bargain price, I'll buy it. ecently bought fuer (for) dot org and was told by a fellow domainer that it was penalized by google previously, probably due to a horrenduous spam score. Don't think it matters much - a company can build a new website on it and eventually the spam score is void/ penalty lifted.
Can that really happen? Can you reduce spam score?

•••
Write enough relevant content and prove to yourself that you don't even need a good domain name. Do it with a type in and gain an instant audience.
I always say content is king!

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back