Dynadot

.info How bad is dot info?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I have LLLLL.info and I have LLLLLGuide.com I plan to build a site with 50 articles, but it could scale higher in the future. The search for LLLLL is the exact match I am going for.

On which domain would you build? I'd really appreciate the suggestions and reasoning of my fellow namepros.

I am leaning to LLLLL.info i just like the neatness of the exact match, and it is an information based site thus fitting the extension.

What say ye?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If the site is indeed informational then I would also go for the .info. Particularly because it's an exact match. People are growing more and more accepting of these new TLDs... and since it seems like a perfect fit for you I say go for it :)

•••
thanks for your opinion. i agree

•••
Depends how good the content is. If it is a mini-site don't bother. Mini-sites in .com only.

But if the content is so good it probably isn't worth the time and money involved for the return of Adsense income, then yes, .info can be good.

•••
Interesting. Is it easier to have a successful mini-site on dot com because Google gives it extra credibility?

•••
If you build a worthwhile site on the .info it has every bit as much of a chance to do well as if you built it on the .com - make sure you brand the extension when you promote the site so people remember it.

Dot info isn't as familiar to the general public, so you have to work to counteract the "dot WHAT?????" syndrome and some negative press it's gotten. (Search engines could care less.)

•••
Yes, I agree that the content in key. But, I would also add that I am very confident the .INFO extension will become a huge success. The Internet is all about information.

•••
The search for LLLLL is the exact match I am going for.

If you will be mainly targeting traffic from search engines, go with the .info. I think, for SEO purposes, SearchPhrase.info is better than SearchPhraseSomething.com.

But for word-of-mouth referrals, it is better to go with .com.

•••
If you can make .info a natural part of the domain name, then it is definitely a good option. I feel that .info is quite appropriate for information websites, although I must admit that they didn't take off as well as I had expected - but it might be a just a matter of time, and they definitely get indexed well provided content is relevant (I speak based on personal experience of being the editor of an .info website, currently PR6, for several years now).

•••
thank you all for the great information, particularly the inspiring Tribulatio concrete example. I will go for .info as it is for SEO

•••
I am a huge fan of .info domains. It just sounds great and really reflects the content of sites aimed at delivering useful information. Plus, its still better than .me or .biz.

•••
But, I would also add that I am very confident the .INFO extension will become a huge success.

sure, after all its only new isn't it :|

•••
Go with the .info. Sure there isn't a familiarity, but when you say the domain blahblah.info, people tend to understand immediately. They also think it makes sense. Which is more than you can say for oh.. .mobi or something like that.

Personally, I think .info's are seriously undervalued at the current time.

•••
IMO .info is better than .net or .org, only trailing behind .com when it comes to gTLD's. Info sounds short and sweet, it's an abbreviation commonly used in everyday language as if it were a full word, it suits informational sites perfectly, and the word/abbreviation works in a huge amount of languages.

.info is very very underrated although I guess this helps to keeps the price low. IMO, if .com is taken, .info is the next best option for a non-local site (so I keep ccTLD's out of this). .info > .net > .org

•••
dot.info

.info is still under TLD , and is great choice for some informational site..I'd go for it because is low cost solutions for development...There is many of .info sold in past for good bucks, and this is one good indicator that .info is great TLD

Good luck

•••
.info sounds promising

I am also planning for a website that will have information about a certain place. My question is if I make it .info, can I still put revenue earning things like Google ad sense or links to sites that sell things in my website?

•••
Not entirely sure but as far as I am aware Google Adsense and such programs can be used on any website URL, regardless of the TLD.

•••
Guide is a strong word. I would probably go with the .com, but it depends on the main keyword.

•••
Would go with the .com, .info is a lousy extension and the term would need to be spectaculary better to go with it.

•••
I had been told how lousy .info was (By the commies)- it isn't- go with your gut feeling and probably the general consensus.

Good luck

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back