Dynadot

Holo vs VR vs MR vs AR vs any other reality (All realities)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

VRdommy

Top Member
Impact
Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Pico 4 is already sold out in Europe. https://uploadvr.com/pico-4-preorder-delays-unprecedented-demand/ I've also read a lot of Americans saying they will order it from Amazon Germany or UK.

I might wait for the Pico 4 Pro to buy rather than the Quest Pro, as it will be much the same at $500 cheaper. Or maybe I will get the Pico 4 and the PSVR 2, although I will have to buy the console as well for the latter.
Just a FYI... the pico 4 'will not be offered in the US', and I think the pro as well.
I'm sure that will skew platform use statisticsl. Just something to keep in mind going forward.
Many here in the states have never herd of it. But I'm sure there will be some overseas shipments.
I think the cost of getting it past US regulators like the FCC is a bit much for a startup that already spent to get it past the EU regulators.
Surely this will change down the road for them.

Last edited:
•••
I bought HoloArt .com for 1500 usd

•••
•••
Seems there's been a lightfield tech company called Holoplayer One that's been operating since 2017. Googled the term and they have a bit of PR.

Most likely they are the buyers..
Well, I'm doubting it but good info.
The name has yet to resolve. Holoplayer.ONE is still for sale @ $2900 and if you were to try to capture name brand without both would be a mistake. But it could be.

But, I would have obtained the gTLD first and then went after the .com
Because now, if the owner of .ONE is paying attention, can easily double/tripple his asking price.
But this depends on a valid TM as well that can limit it's uses to others even if it would be sold.

Just have to keep a eye on it. But I'll bet a look through the TM/Copy-write DB would reveal more.
Likely it is a future app or investor speculation.

And there is this...
https://www.namepros.com/threads/discuss-and-showcase-holo-domain-names.845689/page-12#post-4780080
Perhaps we will hear from him @DomeBase ?

Last edited:
•••
Well, I'm doubting it but good info.
The name has yet to resolve. Holoplayer.ONE is still for sale @ $2900 and if you were to try to capture name brand without both would be a mistake. But it could be.

But, I would have obtained the gTLD first and then went after the .com
Because now, if the owner of .ONE is paying attention, can easily double/tripple his asking price.
But this depends on a valid TM as well that can limit it's uses to others even if it would be sold.

Just have to keep a eye on it. But I'll bet a look through the TM/Copy-write DB would reveal more.
Likely it is a future app or investor speculation.

And there is this...
https://www.namepros.com/threads/discuss-and-showcase-holo-domain-names.845689/page-12#post-4780080
Perhaps we will hear from him @DomeBase ?

The name doesn't have to resolve immediately..

If they have the .com, then .one is useless to them right now..

The company behind Holoplayer One is Looking Glass Factory- lookingglassfactory.com. They've raised $21 million according to Crunchbase. Latest funding round was August (undisclosed amount)..

They were previously selling the Holoplayer One display via their main site, and it would be very likely they'd acquire this to create a standalone site for it..

Also domebase hasn't been active since 2018..

•••
I was just trying to scratch him up if he did check in once in a while.

Looking at it a bit better...
I'd put my money on KANO Computing who just applied for a TM for the same on Aug 11
https://teamkano.medium.com/who-is-kano-computing-adcfcb76203

The name xferd oct 6 so that would likely have been after a escrow period.

But we will see what exactly it is soon enough I guess. Perhaps as long as 6 months for a glimpse.
Nice sale nevertheless.

•••
Pico 4 is back in stock on European Amazon sites. I ordered mine yesterday and due to be delivered Nov 11th.
ByteDance clearly underestimated demand. Hopefully they can replenish stocks enough in time for the holiday season. They will be selling like hot cakes in Europe over Xmas.
The Quest Pro started being delivered yesterday. The reviews I've been reading have been a bit mixed. The thing that prevents me from splashing out on one is that everbody is saying the passthrough is not as clear as they expected. In fact, that it is lower resolution than the Pico 4 (although with 3D). Though many express hope that it can be improved by software upgrades in the future.

•••
•••
Next meta release...
https://techcrunch.com/2022/10/26/meta-will-release-a-new-consumer-grade-vr-headset-next-year/

From what I can see, unless they are making a specialized CPU/GPU for them that has never been announced, it does not look like a tremendous upgrade. Perhaps Quest 3 or 2+

https://mashable.com/article/qualcomm-snapdragon-8-plus-gen-1

OR

This could be a wired set with other make cpu. A successor to rift ?

But more and new is a good thing.
Next year is the make-or-break moment for Meta.
Unless their new headset will be at least 50% better than the previous one AND make HUGE improvements to their metaverse then I consider Meta a beyond-dead company.

•••
Next year is the make-or-break moment for Meta.
Unless their new headset will be at least 50% better than the previous one AND make HUGE improvements to their metaverse then I consider Meta a beyond-dead company.
In many ways I agree with that. I just think the term may be longer to see it.
I know their social media has hit saturation and can only go down except for merger and acquisition and I don't think they will allow any more of that.
As a corporation, it's going to be hard to explain away all the investment in VR when they report their bottom line to shareholders.
But they do have a established platform and that gives them a edge over many and mostly newcomers of lower liquidity.
It seems to hinge on VR in general 'for them' considering their investment.
Personally, I think they should concentrate on the VR experience and leave the hardware to others.
They have some really talented programmers.

Funny, Palmer Lucky is doing fine selling drone killers. LOL

•••
Just hand regged V/R/i/m/m/e/r/se/ in the king COM, can't believe it was available, it dropped 2 months ago.

•••
Interesting - the Quest Pro appears to be outselling Pico 4 on Amazon UK : https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/bestsellers/videogames/22472732031/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_videogames

Well, my Pico 4 arrived yesterday a week early. I have to say, I'm a bit disappointed with it thus far. It feels lighter on the head, but feels really uncomfortable against the face. The screen is noticeably sharper than the Quest 2, but only when you are looking at the center. When I move my eyes to the left or right, the screen is a bit blurry. Maybe that has something to do with the FOV rendering? Also, the whole VR scene appears jittery. I also see ghostly verticle lines on the screen to my left and right. There are a little disappointing things too. On the Quest 2, when watching video, the strength and color of the light on the floor changes and matches what is on the screen. This adds to the immersion, but the Pico 4 doesn't have that at all. And then of course I tried watching some VR smut, and the actresses were all out of scale and the positioning wrong. The passthrough is color, but not 3D, so it's only useful to quickly check on your real environment. Useless for mixed reality.

•••
Just hand regged V/R/i/m/m/e/r/se/ in the king COM, can't believe it was available, it dropped 2 months ago.

Don't have any immerse but like immersive very much as a descriptor.

•••
Don't have any immerse but like immersive very much as a descriptor.
Yeah, "immersive" and "immersion" are more popular, but I still like "immerse", because it's the verb, memorable, short and has a steady rising trend. Plus a popular company immerse(dot)io is growing with nice upgrades and another immerse(dot)online has gotten a nice funding of $9 million this year. And hey a handreg for $5 does no harm, then I'll take it.

Last edited:
•••
I received a $4500 offer on immersify(.com) which I turned down.

Last edited:
•••
I received a $4500 offer on immersify.com which I turned down.
Lately I'm getting lots of sudden offers for iimmerse.com, but rejected them all and removed the "make an offer" option.

•••
These will grow over time.

•••
•••
DNJ... 2/2 OCT-22

metalook.com $2475

Did I miss anything ?

My only observation is that this chart contains a lot of one-worders in gTLD's
Good investments in the long term I guess, at least for those that compliment each other.

•••
Next meta release...
https://techcrunch.com/2022/10/26/meta-will-release-a-new-consumer-grade-vr-headset-next-year/

From what I can see, unless they are making a specialized CPU/GPU for them that has never been announced, it does not look like a tremendous upgrade. Perhaps Quest 3 or 2+

https://mashable.com/article/qualcomm-snapdragon-8-plus-gen-1

OR

This could be a wired set with other make cpu. A successor to rift ?

But more and new is a good thing.
Well the pancake lens does make a difference. I'm starting to like my new Pico 4, and it's definitely far more comfortable than the Quest 2 and with a sharper screen. Then there is the pass through. I imagine the Quest 3 will have high-resolution color passthrough as good as the Quest Pro. The passthrough on the Pico 4 doesn't have any depth, but it's still very useful to get a quick look at your surroundings. You just double tap your headset. By the time the Quest 3 comes out, developers and users will have figured out plenty of ways to make use of mixed reality. It almost doubles the value of the headset. (the Apple VR/AR headset will also have been out in the wild for a number of months).

I've read that the Quest 3 will run the snapdragon plus gen 2, which will bring up to a 3 x performance benefit.
https://mixed-news.com/en/four-reasons-to-look-forward-to-meta-quest-3/

I wouldn't write off Meta yet. They have an utterly dominant lead in VR hardware, with the first Apple headset priced at over $3,000 according to reports, and the Pico not appearing to be sold in the USA anytime soon. Whenever I put on my VR headset I'm reminded of the fact that VR/AR will replace smartphones, TVs, computers within the next 10 years (and Apple agrees) so I'm not going to discount a company that holds a 90% market share of that tech. I would buy Meta stock right now, but I already have lots of investments in VR/AR, so it wouldn't be wise.

Last edited:
•••
•••
I don't think we've discussed the future terminology for a while. I read an article today where the guy behind the Lynx headset states that he believes the term 'mixed reality' will win out :
Larroque also expects the term “mixed reality” to become the standard, displacing the terms VR and AR. “The big names like Meta and Apple will all gear their marketing toward it,” Larroque says.
https://mixed-news.com/en/lynx-r1-full-launch-not-until-the-end-of-february-2023/

•••
I don't think we've discussed the future terminology for a while. I read an article today where the guy behind the Lynx headset states that he believes the term 'mixed reality' will win out :

https://mixed-news.com/en/lynx-r1-full-launch-not-until-the-end-of-february-2023/

The guy that ownee all the best MR is Saying MR is not gonna work.

Mixed Reality is going to be known, and some companies will use it but the acronym won't work.
I still own the best mixedreality+keyword names.

We will have what we have now

XR
Metaverse
VR
AR

Etc.

•••
.com
1599862512-VRTap image1.jpg

•••
The guy that ownee all the best MR is Saying MR is not gonna work.

Mixed Reality is going to be known, and some companies will use it but the acronym won't work.
I still own the best mixedreality+keyword names.

We will have what we have now

XR
Metaverse
VR
AR

Etc.
More i see the more Xr is moving forward

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back