IT.COM

Holo vs VR vs MR vs AR vs any other reality (All realities)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

VRdommy

Top Member
Impact
Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
@xr reality knows his game. One look at his folio is enough to get that.
That said, i advice you guys to limit your regs on direct/DR . It wont become a new reality (imo).

•••
But I read that Microsoft applied TM for the term "Direct Reality"

You read the trademark though HereDomainthere.

They do not seem to be creating a new term to compete with VR/AR/MR.

It appears to just be software/application for playing games.

They apply for trademarks for pretty much every app/software/emulator they create.

Last edited:
•••
If DR is a platform for MR which most will see as advanced AR it will be very, very confusing for consumers. Very unprofessional marketing IMHO.

R.I.P Microsoft lol....

You do know MR is the platform/ecosystem and technology I take it?

DR will just be like Xbox live imo. A feature withing the mixed reality platform that allows cross platform/hardwarw live gaming.

Apps/Software trademarks are filed all the time. That is all this is likely to be. Software withing mixed reality for a way to access gaming.

RIP Microsoft. They have no chance being the biggest OS and having a very popular gaming system/network.

Last edited:
•••
You do know MR is the platform/ecosystem and technology I take it?

DR will just be like Xbox live imo. A feature withing the mixed reality platform that allows cross platform/hardwarw live gaming.

Apps/Software trademarks are filed all the time. That is all this is likely to be. Software withing mixed reality for a way to access gaming.

They should have just called it Direct then. You know all of this because you've had a specific reason to research and educate yourself, but the average consumer will be confused and won't bother educating themselves unless they are die hard fans. There was no reason to give their platform another "reality" name. Its just stupid, plain and simple...

•••
The should have just called it Direct then. You know all of this because you've had a specific reason to research and educate yourself, but the average consumer will be confused and won't bother educating themselves unless they are die hard fans. There was no reason to give their platform another "reality" name. Its just stupid, plain and simple...

Yeah, 100% agree with you mate.

Was no reason to add the "reality" keyword, not a very clever marketing move I have to agree.

•••
This is what happens when out of touch, big wigs who are out of touch have too much pride to let their marketing team do their fucking jobs, or when they hire more out of touch idiots to run their marketing team.

R.I.P. Microsoft

Last edited:
•••
@xr reality knows his game. One look at his folio is enough to get that.
That said, i advice you guys to limit your regs on direct/DR . It wont become a new reality (imo).
Lol i do hate dr but i always like cams names so camsDR.com I didn't mind too much but longtails i am really not too sure on 4 in total that was my punt on them keep a year and see i drop like others here do i go through and drop ones and adapt with the times i too hate when a new term pops up like everybody else here in the early days we had so many terms being used like cinematic reality , blended reality , actual reality , hyper reality , hybrid reality , mixed reality and so on is easier now as we have a bit more of an idea but to be honest i like xr as the best term to gain

•••
No one will give a shit about "MR" once Apple and Google's AR takes off. It's going to be one of those industry terms that very, very few consumers will be familiar with.

•••
No one will give a sh*t about "MR" once Apple and Google's AR takes off. It's going to be one of those industry terms that very, very few consumers will be familiar with.

Might, and maybe not.

•••
No one will give a sh*t about "MR" once Apple and Google's AR takes off. It's going to be one of those industry terms that very, very few consumers will be familiar with.

Well guess nobody uses Windows anymore and will see the "Mixed Reality" Terminology.

•••
Might, and maybe not.

Phones are the new PCs. What are the top two phone companies. What is MS's phone market share? You figure out...

•••
Phones are the new PCs. What are the top two phone companies. What is MS's phone market share? You figure out...

Glasses will be the new computers.

•••
Glasses are the new phones.

The world isn't ready to go phoneless immediately. My bet is that glasses will use phones before they become independent devices. That will ultimately shape the OS war going forward when they do go independent.

•••
The world isn't ready to go phoneless immediately. My bet is that glasses will use phones before they become independent devices. That will ultimately shape the OS war going forward when they do go independent.

Yeah definately. Was just pointing out that things will go further than mobile AR. And thats where MR comes in.

•••
Also consider that the AR industry has already taken off with phones with no need for glasses. Apple ARKit and Google's Tango phones are already shaping the industry. I could be wrong, but MS's glasses are not as portable and cosmetically friendly for walking around in the public. Taking them outside is not ideal. There have been no portable MR examples that I've seen. MR is kinda behind, so it's not a question of if MS can compete with AR devices but a matter of how. With Tango there is no reason to touch MS devices, especially when Google is done figuring out the heating problem that occurs when using Tango in a headset while in VR mode.

R.I.P. Microsoft MR

•••
In addition to what I've said above, Google and Apple will likely create lenses with "MR" features, but still will likely call it AR. Remember, we're not talking technology here. We're talking marketing *terminology*. MR as a domain investment is most likely dead...

Last edited:
•••
Also consider that the AR industry has already taken off with phones with no need for glasses. Apple ARKit and Google's Tango phones are already shaping the industry. I could be wrong, but MS's glasses are not as portable and cosmetically friendly for walking around in the public. Taking them outside is not ideal. There have been no portable MR examples that I've seen. MR is kinda behind, so it's not a question of if MS can compete with AR devices but a matter of how. With Tango there is no reason to touch MS devices, especially when Google is done figuring out the heating problem that occurs when using Tango in a headset while in VR mode.

R.I.P. Microsoft MR

Wow , you mean business saying all of that. Are you sure? You sound sure so wondering where does it come from.
I think you need to wait a bit before talking like thst if you want someone to take you seriously.

So far using the term (even before consumer devices)

Microsoft
Magicleap
Amazon
Dell
Acer
HP
Lenovo
Asus.

Headsets are out on holidays for consumers
&
Xbox scorpio is going to support it.

Im not saying slam dunk but for sure no RIP

•••

No more wires teathered from headset to computer that wire killed the feeling of true immersion

Last edited:
•••
Wow , you mean business saying all of that. Are you sure? You sound sure so wondering where does it come from.
I think you need to wait a bit before talking like thst if you want someone to take you seriously.

So far using the term (even before consumer devices)

Microsoft
Magicleap
Amazon
Dell
Acer
HP
Lenovo
Asus.

Headsets are out on holidays for consumers
&
Xbox scorpio is going to support it.

Im not saying slam dunk but for sure no RIP

All of that is Team MS and ML...breaking it apart is misleading...

Even Google has used the term MR in interviews and what not. Doesn't mean that consumers can deal with such plurality of so many terminologies. Phones are the new PCs. The age of mobile computing is now. If it's not something you can use on the go, it will be stationary. Ask yourself, wat separates MR from VR? The ability to interact in the real world. Can you take MR headsets outside? No. Is that a deal breaker? Yes, if you want to really interact with the real world. VR is in the virtual world, so it can be stationary with no problem. Do I see success in stationary MR when people will be using Tango and AR headsets anywhere they want to interact with the *whole* world instead of hunting monsters under their sofa or playing cards? No, I don't. Remember Pokemon Go? That's what people will be expecting with MR and will be gravely disappointed. VR headsets with MR capabilities will have a chance to survive because they'll still have the ability to use VR, preventing them from collecting dust, but MR only lenses that are stationary will collect dust.

Again, I could b wrong, but it looks like all MR *lenses* so far have been stationary. Please correct me if I'm wrong...

•••
All of that is Team MS and ML...breaking it apart is misleading...

Even Google has used the term MR in interviews and what not. Doesn't mean that consumers can deal with such plurality of so many terminologies. Phones are the new PCs. The age of mobile computing is now. If it's not something you can use on the go, it will be stationary. Ask yourself, wat separates MR from VR? The ability to interact in the real world. Can you take MR headsets outside? No. Is that a deal breaker? Yes, if you want to really interact with the real world. VR is in the virtual world, so it can be stationary with no problem. Do I see success in stationary MR when people will be using Tango and AR headsets anywhere they want to interact with the *whole* world instead of hunting monsters under their sofa or playing cards? No, I don't. Remember Pokemon Go? That's what people will be expecting with MR and will be gravely disappointed. VR headsets with MR capabilities will have a chance to survive because they'll still have the ability to use VR, preventing them from collecting dust, but MR only lenses that are stationary will collect dust.

Again, I could b wrong, but it looks like all MR *lenses* so far have been stationary. Please correct me if I'm wrong...

You are wrong because we do not have consumer versions of true mixed reality headsets/glasses in 2017 and won't have one probably until 2018-2019 at the earliest (I am not talking about the partner VR headsets).

If you are judging things in 2017 no wonder VR and AR have won.

What you are saying is exactly the same as the people who were saying everything will be called VR and AR as no chance.

A year or two later and those people saying everyone was wasting their money on AR names have now gone quiet.

If you have done your research you would know the natural progression of VR & AR is moving towards mixed reality.

But I can see you are having a hard time looking beyond 2017 so I respect that :xf.wink:

If you believe mobile AR is as good as this tech will get then yes there is no need for other terms. But for cosumers to accept something being a progression from mobile AR a new term comes in handy.

Last edited:
•••
Registered
  • DirectReality.com.au & created a sales lander
Cheers
Corey

•••
In addition to what I've said above, Google and Apple will likely create lenses with "MR" features, but still will likely call it AR. Remember, we're not talking technology here. We're talking marketing *terminology*. MR as a domain investment is most likely dead...

Yes we are talking terminology and MS just used the terminology on the biggest OS platform in the world.

•••
There's no comparison of what I said to the AR VS VR debate. How did you draw that connection?

Now that I think about it, I do remember Hololens being clumsily portable. I don't see it really taking off because it's not cosmetically friendly in the same way that Google's Glass was. Of course MS will evolve the appearance over time and will likely follow what Apple, FB and Snap are doing, which is trying to make lenses look more like ordinary glasses. But as long as MS sticks with "MR" as a technology, they will not benefit from the free advertising made from other companies promoting AR. It's a stupid move, but we are all used to MS making stupid moves aren't we?

MR may not completely disappear, but it won't be successful enough to domain in. JMO

•••
There's no comparison of what I said to the AR VS VR debate. How did you draw that connection?

Now that I think about it, I do remember Hololens being clumsily portable. I don't see it really taking off because it's not cosmetically friendly in the same way that Google's Glass was. Of course MS will evolve the appearance over time and will likely follow what Apple, FB and Snap are doing, which is trying to make lenses look more like ordinary glasses. But as long as MS sticks with "MR" as a technology, they will not benefit from the free advertising made from other companies promoting AR. It's a stupid move, but we are all used to MS making stupid moves aren't we?

MR may not completely disappear, but it won't be successful enough to domain in. JMO

Everyone is entitled to their opinions mate and I do respect yours.

I made the comparison to AR, VR because they are 2017 - 2018 techs.

The head production guy at occulus who is working on Facebook's AR strategy even said the future will move to "Mixed Reality" glasses.

Apple & Google using AR terminology in 2017 is correct. It is Microsoft who are being premature with the terminology but they are just trying to get an head start in building an eco system.

I also feel you underestimate how big of a pull microsoft have in the enterprise sector, consumers are not probably going to be the one's to buy our names (but you are right consumer search habits is a massive thing).

Don't be suprised if Apple and Google see the promise of mixed reality further down the line.

Mobile AR is great don't get me wrong. But there is a big difference in AR and MR tech, big enough to warrant the different keyword.

Microsoft and Magic Leap are not the only one's to realise this. You will start to see this more next year. That is my prediction.

Last edited:
•••
Everyone is entitled to their opinions mate and I do respect yours.

I made the comparison to AR, VR because they are 2017 - 2018 techs.

The head production guy at occulus who is working on Facebook's AR strategy even said the future will move to "Mixed Reality" glasses.

Apple & Google using AR terminology in 2017 is correct. It is Microsoft who are being premature with the terminology but they are just trying to get an head start in building an eco system.

I also feel you underestimate how big of a pull microsoft have in the enterprise sector, consumers are not probably going to be the one's to buy our names (but you are right consumer search habits is a massive thing).

Don't be suprised if Apple and Google see the promise of mixed reality further down the line.

Mobile AR is great don't get me wrong. But there is a big difference in AR and MR tech, big enough to warrant the different keyword.

Microsoft and Magic Leap are not the only one's to realise this. You will start to see this more next year. That is my prediction.

It will be very difficult and needlessly expensive for Apple and Google to start using "MR" after investing millions promoting AR when the public won't give a shit about what the difference is, especially considering that even some professionals are still confused about what the difference is. Ask 10 people what's the difference and you'll get 10 different answers. People don't like plurality. My prediction is that because AR already has a strong foot hold and society has locked on to AR you'll see MS slowly drifting to follow Google's and Apple's lead like they always end up doing anyway. ML is irrelevant at this point, so it's hard to know what they'll do, but because Google is a big investor in them don't be surprised if they drift where the flow of money is going too, leaving MS in a hard situation...

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back