Dynadot

information Historical Cost of Domain Name Registraions

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

eqz13489

Established Member
Impact
Hello everyone, it's been a while since I've posted....

I am making a spreadsheet about historical costs for domain name registrations. This project is nothing official so I've been casually just estimating ball parks here [.com's]. Doing some reading I learned that domain name registrations were free until around 1995 - which then there was only perhaps one place where you could purchase (network solutions). Also, around 1998ish 1999ish, a window opened up for other sellers.

Now, I wasn't old enough to register any domains back in the early 90's, but I thought maybe some of you posters would remember these day. From what I understand, initially, DN regs were around $70 in 1998, which dropped to $35 in 1999.

Can anyone here help me fill in what YOU might remember of the cost of domain name registrations over this period of years? I'm most interested in the earlier years of this list....

1998:
1999:
2000:
2001:
2002:
2003:
2004:
2005:
2006:
2007:
2008:
2009:
2010:

I assume anything after 2010 might be easy for me to find. I know right now domains can range in price dependant on registrar - avg. maybe $7-$15 for a .com. I also know that over the years promo codes have been a big deal, dropping hand registrations to even .99 cents (however I don't know how far back promo codes would be a consideration in cost).

I'm just looking at rough estimates here for hand registered .com's. But any other information and considerations would be greatly appreciated! Thanks everyone!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
when I started .com was I think $140 USD or so

•••
My first domain was July 2000 (still have it) and was with DirectNIC, I was able to verify with hosterstats.com my memory was correct and I am reasonably certain I paid US$15 (screenshot adverts agree)

2005-6 ish I found RegisterFly where the super prices were so awesome lol, lucky for me I only convinced one friend to switch and we escaped without loss though I had to pay $50 for a restore, I found screenshot adverts $9.99 or less and $6.95 transfers. That turned into eNom and I finagled my way into a sub reseller tier of maybe $7.45, eNom only has 18 month history

My stargate account I dug up Apr 2007 $6.95 COM, but that is reseller and higher tier, I have all records for 2007 through 2015, when I get around to it I can parse the amounts out for ya. Remind me if you're interested.

Searching for screenshot images of registrars might help you find some of those earlier years, hard to find actual dates though
https://public-media.interaction-design.org/images/uploads/4911644d79ba334cd8b88f0928e89cab.png

•••
My first domain was July 2000 (still have it) and was with DirectNIC, I was able to verify with hosterstats.com my memory was correct and I am reasonably certain I paid US$15 (screenshot adverts agree)

2005-6 ish I found RegisterFly where the super prices were so awesome lol, lucky for me I only convinced one friend to switch and we escaped without loss though I had to pay $50 for a restore, I found screenshot adverts $9.99 or less and $6.95 transfers. That turned into eNom and I finagled my way into a sub reseller tier of maybe $7.45, eNom only has 18 month history

My stargate account I dug up Apr 2007 $6.95 COM, but that is reseller and higher tier, I have all records for 2007 through 2015, when I get around to it I can parse the amounts out for ya. Remind me if you're interested.

Searching for screenshot images of registrars might help you find some of those earlier years, hard to find actual dates though
https://public-media.interaction-design.org/images/uploads/4911644d79ba334cd8b88f0928e89cab.png

Ahhhh thank you for your feedback!!!! You filled in a major blank for me becuase I wasn't sure when domains went from the 35-70$ fee down to the 15 dollar range....and you say this was about the year 2000. Good to know!!!!

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back