Domain Empire

discuss Saying this again..lots of money in hand regs!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Arpit131

Top Member
Impact
While everyone has their way to make money in domaining, there is a lot of money to be made in hand registrations and the reason that I am stressing on it is because newbies can get a head start by investing in hand registrations.
I have recently made 5 sales out of a total of 18 hand registrations that I did. All this within 12 days and the returns are pretty good.

This has only reaffirmed my belief into hand registrations and I believe that the potential is immense.
If you have similar experience investing in hand registrations and getting good returns out of it, would you care to share it?

This will be educational in the form of opportunities that are there in hand registrations.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
There is a actually a far greater potential ROI with hand registered domains than there is with any other investment-grade/premium domain. They can actually help fuel the larger purchases whilst leaving plenty of profit on the tables.

Examples of some of our hand regs/sales last/this week include:

ArizonaDetoxCenters dot com
Cost: hand reg
Sales price: $300

Audio-Equipment dot co.uk
Sales price: $150

WeBuySilverCoins dot com

BehavioralHealthArizona dot com + 4 other hand reg names
Cost: 5 x hand reg
Sales price: $650

RebrandingExperts dot com
Sales price: not yet sold, but received interest yesterday after a $750 quote

ExecutiveAddictionTreatment dot com
Sales price: $250

We paid less than $50 for all the above domains. Marketing time/efforts to factor in: 15-20mins/domain.

The prices are not out-of-this-world, but they all add up.

Interested to know if these sales are marketplace sales?

•••
These are outbound sales. Not worth going through the marketplaces/escrow services due to the fees/commissions - would bring the sweet-sport sales range ($250-$850) down further.

•••
These are outbound sales. Not worth going through the marketplaces/escrow services due to the fees/commissions - would bring the sweet-sport sales range ($250-$850) down further.

Seems like your outbound strategy works... well!

•••
There is a actually a far greater potential ROI with hand registered domains than there is with any other investment-grade/premium domain. They can actually help fuel the larger purchases whilst leaving plenty of profit on the tables.

WeBuySilverCoins dot com

We paid less than $50 for all the above domains. Marketing time/efforts to factor in: 15-20mins/domain.

great roi for a couple hours work ! long tails too ! :)
How long have you had them ?
Thanks

•••
. I noticed that nobody who said that they make lots of money by selling handregs listed a single domain name that they sold. (I did see some who did mention what they registered) I hardly ever see any specific names mentioned, and that is bothersome. How can you promote this to anyone, especially newbies, when you can't or won't refer to a single domain you sold as one you handregged? Anyone can say they made $xxx or $xxxx by selling a handreg, but did they really sell it?

Ok here are may handreg sales this year:
LLLN $600 Parking inquiry
Word with repeating endletter x,xxx brandbucket
CVCCVC high xxx branddo
Couple here x or xx

•••
Thanks

Most of these just a few days.

•••
•••
•••
There can be some money to be made with hand regs, but I wouldn't say "lots of money." Maybe $20-$200 if you are lucky. If you reg 100 of them MAYBE one will sell. Don't know if selling handregs is a viable way to make income. It is too easy to lose a whole lot of money on reg fees. I noticed that nobody who said that they make lots of money by selling handregs listed a single domain name that they sold. (I did see some who did mention what they registered) I hardly ever see any specific names mentioned, and that is bothersome. How can you promote this to anyone, especially newbies, when you can't or won't refer to a single domain you sold as one you handregged? Anyone can say they made $xxx or $xxxx by selling a handreg, but did they really sell it?

I recently posted this article on my blog after series of researches into handreg domains on 14th of October 2016. I wish you read it and have a new scope about hand reg domains.
After the reading I’m sure you will definitly have a new views on handreg domains after reading the article.

http://www.cctldmarket.com/p/blog-page_74.html

I subscribed to "there are still good money in handreg domains" and it make sense doing so! Expired premium names were one time hand regged

Cheers.

Last edited:
•••

WeBuySilverCoins dot com

This is really inspiring and useful information Federer, really appreciate it. Very interested to know what your outbound strategy is as you said in a later post that you only spend less than an hour per domain on marketing and hold then for a very short period.

Do you have an end user in mind before you hand reg the domain? Really interested to learn more about your strategy and thought process when registering domains. Thanks!

•••
I never have one particular end user in mind when purchasing a name; however I only invest in domains for which there are at least 15-20 potential buyers.

•••
I never have one particular end user in mind when purchasing a name; however I only invest in domains for which there are at least 15-20 potential buyers.
Thanks, I see what you mean. When you say at least 15-20 endusers I take it you have research the potential market before you register the domain?

Also, what is your process for hand regs, do you go through the recently expired lists, use any sort of sofware at all or do you think of a domain and then see if it is registered?

Really keen to see what your process is here, the info you are providing is of real value.

•••
While everyone has their way to make money in domaining, there is a lot of money to be made in hand registrations and the reason that I am stressing on it is because newbies can get a head start by investing in hand registrations.
I have recently made 5 sales out of a total of 18 hand registrations that I did. All this within 12 days and the returns are pretty good.

This has only reaffirmed my belief into hand registrations and I believe that the potential is immense.
If you have similar experience investing in hand registrations and getting good returns out of it, would you care to share it?

This will be educational in the form of opportunities that are there in hand registrations.

My experience: I hand registered DriverlessCabs dot com in 2014, sold for US$810 in 2016 (not bad). I have also turned down $xxx offers this year for other hand regs I own. I am pleased with that and optimistic that I will have more hand reg success stories to report!

•••
As an encouragement for starters, there are lot of unregistered names that you can hand reg. Keeping in view ROI, which is in high multiples, you can afford to take some risk. One criteria while registering hand regs is that if it easily available, meaning that you have tried about 100 or so without success, there a good chance that is not that good. And always, always, ask yourself this question, "Would you use this name for your own business?"

Additionally, is a good idea to run your registered names with the (name) pros, which you can find many here.

Cheers!

Last edited:
•••
I have been fortunate enough to do well with hand regs(never bought one on resale market) but Some I have held onto for years waiting for the niche to come around to me. I usually keep a grand total of 40 names or so, Most names I have, I have got offers for at one time or another, but I am not in this to make 50 bucks on a name, so I am sure I lost quiete a few sales along the way.
Joe T

•••
Can you share where these domains were sold, and the names of some of these domain names

•••
Thanks
He wrote "last weeks regs"

•••
Long tails are very descriptive, some endusers like this aspect I would suggest

•••
I don't often hand reg much, but I find it relaxing to search. My secret is to stick to a certain industry with each session. It keeps me focused, otherwise I end up liking stuff like "GiraffeEarInfections" or "GrandmasStinkyFeet".

Over the years, I have found some gems. This method also helps strengthen your "niche" portfolios.

•••
•••
@StickTool.Com LOL! Indeed...I've used my share!

•••
@Arpit131 - I have sent you a PM. Can you please respond.

•••
I think selling hand regged names is a skill on it's own.

I agree with a lot of people saying "quality names sell themselves". However, hand regged names are normally not those names. Sure, we can get inbound requests, but far less than with quality aftermarket names.

I think there is 1 big danger in hand regging and that is that you keep doing it, spend $10 here and $20 there and before you know it you are out $500 without any idea if you will ever sell a name. That is I think the most heard warning for newbies. That $500 could be spent on 1 or 2 real quality names.

However, I too believe money can be made with hand regs. You should have a proper plan though. I have a few unwritten rules I have to commit to before hand reggin. I am planning to spec these out as some sort of small business plan. This should ensure I will not reg a lot of crap.
Think of stuff like "at least x leads who will benefit from having the domain", "accept all offers of at least $xxx"

I generally see that you will get offers around $250 for hand regged domains, if you get replies on your outbound. Still a nice price if you can get a few sales per month and sell at least 25% of your regs. Obviously, when you start out you will sell far less than 25%, as you are finding your way into the industry. However, if you keep track of you sales % and the time it takes from 1st outbound moment to closed sale, you should see improvements over time.

tl;dr: Regging names can be profitable, but can also be a pitfall quite easily. Create rules for yourself that every domain should meet before you register it. Track your sales to see if you are improving and if it is worth your time.

•••

WeBuySilverCoins dot com

Was this auction sales or How did you find clients for these?

•••
In order to sale hand regs consistently you need a different mindset. Every time i hand reg a domain name, i dont intend on selling it - instead i develop it into a start up internet company(social media, website, logo etc).

Once all the motivation has gone, i then list it forsale.
Next thing you know ...its sold it.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back