Dynadot

Hiring a celebrity (Cameo) to promote domains/businesses?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Kingslayer

Top Member
Impact
I found a site called Cameo.com where you hire a celebrity to make a short video for birthdays/weddings etc, but noticed some people pay for videos promoting businesses, take a look at this one:-

https://d3el26csp1xekx.cloudfront.net/v/wm-4RGympVbe.mp4

Some celebrities charge $100 or under, you can't really go wrong for that price, some marketplaces charge more than this for pointless add-on's that don't work.

Imagine owning a wrestling domain, creating a landing page and having a video Mick Foley or the Million Dollar Man telling people to buy your domain and why you should.

Owning a boxing domain and having Floyd Mayweather or Mike Tyson talk about your domain, owning a music domain and having Snoop Dogg saying your domain is where it's at.

What are people's thoughts on this? Could Cameo be a good promotion tool for domain investors?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Thank you for the link. (y)

This was on my 'To Do' list to look into for both Go.LA and Fig.ht (and having spent 5 minutes checking the site out managed to identify some great possibilities for both).

Obviously I do think that such is a great way of marketing domains and sites, and as you point out the cost is relatively cheap compared to many other aspects of our business.

Again many thanks.

Last edited:
•••
Yeah, it is an idea but you need to look at the TOS. Many videos are for personal use only.

Q: What is the difference between a Promotional Cameo video and a personal Cameo video?

A: A Promotional Cameo video can be used to promote a company/organization/product on the company’s website and Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn and Twitter accounts. You can see the terms specific to Promotional Cameo videos here. A personal Cameo video can be used only for personal, non-promotional, and non-commercial use. You can see terms for personal Cameo videos here.

Q: How long can I use my Promotional Cameo video?

A: A Promotional Cameo video can be used for three months from the date it is sent to you. At the end of the three months the rights to the video automatically expire unless otherwise agreed. If you want to extend your license, please reach out to [email protected] before expiration.

•••
Thanks for the share.

Another puzzle piece.

•••
@bmugford - Great links, again another 'Thank you'.

This is the huge benefit of NP for members, the breadth of knowledge is huge of the various members and it is astounding, and the fact they are willing to share thoughts on diverse subjects can only be a described as amazing.

Last edited:
•••
This is an ad trick people have been using all the time. Like guest blogging... you pay a high profile person in that industry to write a guest blog... doesn't even matter if they plagiarized... the blog owner just cares about the traffic it will bring in.

•••
word up.
wave your hands in the air like you don't care.

Last edited:
•••
What are people's thoughts on this? Could Cameo be a good promotion tool for domain investors?
Guess it could be, but don't know what kind of authenticity traction it would gain.. From the example, Ice Cube, feels gimmicky to begin with because of the "homemade" look and not heartfelt. If the domain was endorsed right from the celeb's verified account, different story. Whereas this seems like it would be more of an embedded video for mine or yours site. And as per Brads input, restrictions on usage.

Most people would see through this (I would hope) but there's the odd few who believe anything.

Cute concept anyways, for the thrill of someone famous talking about your domain!

•••
This is very interesting, I think I would choose to try

•••
Thats a horrible sample. Idk if it was just a bad script or what but it came off as cheezy and disingenuous imo.

•••
Thats a horrible sample. Idk if it was just a bad script or what but it came off as cheezy and disingenuous imo.

Yeah wasn't great, but i posted it so people could see the potenital.

Most celebrities do a good job with personalised birthday messages though, been pleasantly surprised how much effort they put into them and try to do a good job.

•••
Cameo_t1024.jpg

•••

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I think this would be a waste of money. Why would anyone want to spend money promoting a domain?

If it's a low to mid value domain then it eats into your margin and if it's a premium domain then why would you need to spend money to promote it?

•••
I found a site called Cameo.com where you hire a celebrity to make a short video for birthdays/weddings etc, but noticed some people pay for videos promoting businesses, take a look at this one:-

https://d3el26csp1xekx.cloudfront.net/v/wm-4RGympVbe.mp4

Some celebrities charge $100 or under, you can't really go wrong for that price, some marketplaces charge more than this for pointless add-on's that don't work.

Imagine owning a wrestling domain, creating a landing page and having a video Mick Foley or the Million Dollar Man telling people to buy your domain and why you should.

Owning a boxing domain and having Floyd Mayweather or Mike Tyson talk about your domain, owning a music domain and having Snoop Dogg saying your domain is where it's at.

For $100 you may just end up with a celebrity look-alike.

The fad now appears to be 'social influencers' promoting your product to their twitter fanbase.

•••
For $100 you may just end up with a celebrity look-alike.

The fad now appears to be 'social influencers' promoting your product to their twitter fanbase.
It's about reach, and I would not call it a fad.

A cameo is cool and all and may impress some people, but you still have to go out and promote it yourself. They are just sending you a video file. These were meant for birthday gifts, etc.

Having a content creator or an influencer promote you to their audience however is a BIG deal.

Taking a boxing example... Paying Mike Tyson to make a social media post that "Boxing Domain" was available to invest in.
Less famous people, but those with big audiences however can be quite effective in the return on investment.

•••
Back