IT.COM

discuss Help me not lose 2 domains .ca that i invest 1000 $

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Recived a verofocation from CIRCA for 4 domain names .CA , but only two of them are important for me because i invest in them aprox 1000 USD

CIRCA verification is neccessary to meet the criteria for registration of .CA

I need some one from Canada who have trust in me & viceversa to make a legal partnership that is recognize by Government of Canada

Legal partnership is neccessary to prove i am the right to own .CA & is not mandatory to be for undetermined period of time , i think is possible only to pass this issue , some one who knows the rules

very well .

From customer support recived this link's as guide

http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/cipointernet-internetopic.nsf/eng/Home

http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/cipointernet-internetopic.nsf/eng/h_wr00002.html

But because my english is poor in technical terms is very hard to me to understand what say on this pages

So who want to help me please send me a PM (special if you are a old member & have good reputation)

Kind regards,

Ovidiu

P.S. I speak with some people & say CIRCA make very very rare this type of verification & i guess some want to hurt me & want this two domains ( maybe a domainer ) that are important and make the compliant

say again i invest aprox 1000 USD & possible to be sell to a end buyer over 10000 USD ( even each )

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Can't you push them to a register that can set up a proxy/trustee registration service?

You would have pay a higher annual fee, but there are companies that provide this service. This way the names are still owned by you

•••
Can't you push them to a register that can set up a proxy/trustee registration service?

You would have pay a higher annual fee, but there are companies that provide this service. This way the names are still owned by you

Thanks for suggestion , but this is not possible

Once you recived complaint from CIRCA they will block to change registrant , transfer etc..so for others this must be a lesson & how to act in future

+ not to mention ( i don't read TOS of CIRCA ) but from my point of view is a abussive thing & they can do anything , basic none of us is owner of .CA domains

Problem is this domains i recived complaints , some one wants otherwise no problomes to reg. dot CA

But to avoid this type of situations must set ( where is possible ) 'Whois privacy under GDPR ' something like this..i have a domain , but not important that i set this option after recived emails from CIRCA

When i acquired domains in case this option was not available on DD

My only solution is as i say on my post , to have a legal partnership with a Canadian citizen

Last edited:
•••
Thanks for the clarification, I would of offered to help but I'm in the UK.....

I hope you get this resolved and someone on here can help you.

•••
•••
The guy is violating the rules of the .ca, these domains are designated for Canadian citizens, and businesses, or businesses that have a presence within that region, and should stay within that purview.

.ca is a tough market to sell into, some of the best single word names can be hard to sell, as I’m sure you found out.

Last edited:
•••
While not insensitive to the plight of the OP, the Canadian presence rules are clearly outlined and I support CIRA and the rules. Therefore I would not consider becoming involved in this.

I am not sure, but I suspect that even if someone did what he asks, it would not help. In order to legally register a .ca you need to meet the presence requirements at the time of registration. Making a legal partnership formed and registered after the fact, while allowing future registrations, might not meet the requirement to prove that the original registration is allowed (not sure).

Also, the OP seems not to have read the requirements even now. 67% of the partnership must be Canadian residents, so one person forming a partnership with him does not help. It must be a registered partnership, so would go through the delay, search cost, filing cost and legal costs associated with that.

Bob

•••
While not insensitive to the plight of the OP, the Canadian presence rules are clearly outlined and I support CIRA and the rules. Therefore I would not consider becoming involved in this.

I am not sure, but I suspect that even if someone did what he asks, it would not help. In order to legally register a .ca you need to meet the presence requirements at the time of registration. Making a legal partnership formed and registered after the fact, while allowing future registrations, might not meet the requirement to prove that the original registration is allowed (not sure).

Also, the OP seems not to have read the requirements even now. 67% of the partnership must be Canadian residents, so one person forming a partnership with him does not help. It must be a registered partnership, so would go through the delay, search cost, filing cost and legal costs associated with that.

Bob
Wow! Never thought it could be this cumbersome. Another lesson.
Thanks.

•••
Here is the link to the Canadian presence requirements from CIRA and the various ways they can be met. I read this as to be met in order to register, not with possibility to meet after the fact (although I might be wrong)
https://cira.ca/policy/rules-and-procedures/canadian-presence-requirements-registrants

I don't know how quickly a partnership could be registered, but when I did a provincial one a couple of decades ago I seem to recall that between initial application, name search by third party that was required to process application, waiting for approval, and then final granting it was a few months.

Bob

Last edited:
•••
•••
none of us is owner of .CA domains
I disagree. I would say "all of us are owners of .ca". Anyone who legally registered a .ca (i.e. met presence requirements) can without cost join CIRA after confirming residency and as such attend events, vote for board members or run for board positions, etc. The extension is literally owned by the people who legally register it. In many ways it is run like a strata or condominium council.
Bob

•••
The guy is violating the rules of the .ca, these domains are designated for Canadian citizens, and businesses, or businesses that have a presence within that region, and should stay within that purview.

.ca is a tough market to sell into, some of the best single word names can be hard to sell, as I’m sure you found out.
Why? I see people from other countries, including Canadians, having premium names of my country even though it is not allowed and they dont live there. I believe no limit and it should be open game. Tell me believe, dont you have a domain with an extension that you are not supposed to have? That is why they have the companies that sign instead of the registrant.

•••
Hmmmmm....to all that support me or not...

Very strange that a domain (one that i buy on aftermarket ) is reg in 2018-03-03 until now , and without respect the 'rules' of CIRA not recived a complain , only after i make heavy advertising for this 2 domains ( not to mention i sell same type of niche with XXXX but other extension + i own , maybe over , 50% global market of this niche as extensions ) , recived , me (wow), a complain from CIRA

Probably if i will not resolve this problem in next few days ..ok ..i lose money (for me is very hard because of my financial situation) but this is life , ok again, problem is the domains will be on free & who make the complain will catch it & make big bugs - just because he can

•••
I do not have any knowledge of the .ca extension and its policies, but @MapleDots come to my mind with that extension and may be he could add some further value to this thread.

•••
I do not have any knowledge of the .ca extension and its policies, but @MapleDots come to my mind with that extension and may be he could add some further value to this thread.
I speak with him

•••

The domains have already been locked by cira and they are asking for proof of Canadian Citizenship or a partnership with a Canadian citizen.

I have already explained to the OP that the proof they are looking for will be very thorough. Short of filing misleading documents there is no real way to help the OP, the domains cannot be transferred or manipulated in any way until cira finishes their investigation.

•••
Recived a verofocation from CIRCA for 4 domain names .CA , but only two of them are important for me because i invest in them aprox 1000 USD

CIRCA verification is neccessary to meet the criteria for registration of .CA

I need some one from Canada who have trust in me & viceversa to make a legal partnership that is recognize by Government of Canada

Legal partnership is neccessary to prove i am the right to own .CA & is not mandatory to be for undetermined period of time , i think is possible only to pass this issue , some one who knows the rules

very well .

From customer support recived this link's as guide

http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/cipointernet-internetopic.nsf/eng/Home

http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/cipointernet-internetopic.nsf/eng/h_wr00002.html

But because my english is poor in technical terms is very hard to me to understand what say on this pages

So who want to help me please send me a PM (special if you are a old member & have good reputation)

Kind regards,

Ovidiu

P.S. I speak with some people & say CIRCA make very very rare this type of verification & i guess some want to hurt me & want this two domains ( maybe a domainer ) that are important and make the compliant

say again i invest aprox 1000 USD & possible to be sell to a end buyer over 10000 USD ( even each )

Looks like you have to be a resident of Canada to own those domains. Just like when you own a .US domain you have to live in the United States. Try and talk to a domainer from Canada. Maybe they can help you. Good luck.

•••
Sorry .. looking at the posts here it looks like it's a very complicated situation. As most of you who follow my daily blog/lists at NameCult know, my life is a chaotic mess these days. I don't really have the ability to commit to looking into the legalities of this. Plus at this point it seems like it's too late.

I know I had a couple of .ca over the years, but I bought them more for person reasons or potential projects that I never did anything with (honestly not even sure if I have any now or not .. lol.

They must have been extremely good domains to say they are worth 10,000 ... I stay away from ccTLD's in general aside from the ones that were repurposed (.tv .co).

Why? I see people from other countries, including Canadians, having premium names of my country even though it is not allowed and they dont live there. I believe no limit and it should be open game. Tell me believe, dont you have a domain with an extension that you are not supposed to have? That is why they have the companies that sign instead of the registrant.

For many countries, they choose to be more open to make money. In theory I can understand all countries wanting to protect access to their digital branding. It's not good for domainers, but it is usually good for the general interest of the citizens (also help reduce international phishing, spam, fraud, etc).

It sucks that it happened, but it's most definitely a risk.

Good luck all the same! :)

Please let us know what happens.

•••
Sorry .. looking at the posts here it looks like it's a very complicated situation. As most of you who follow my daily blog/lists at NameCult know, my life is a chaotic mess these days. I don't really have the ability to commit to looking into the legalities of this. Plus at this point it seems like it's too late.

I know I had a couple of .ca over the years, but I bought them more for person reasons or potential projects that I never did anything with (honestly not even sure if I have any now or not .. lol.

They must have been extremely good domains to say they are worth 10,000 ... I stay away from ccTLD's in general aside from the ones that were repurposed (.tv .co).

For many countries, they choose to be more open to make money. In theory I can understand all countries wanting to protect access to their digital branding. It's not good for domainers, but it is usually good for the general interest of the citizens (also help reduce international phishing, spam, fraud, etc).

It sucks that it happened, but it's most definitely a risk.

Good luck all the same! :)

Please let us know what happens.
Nope, it has nothing to do with money. People always find a way or another to actually circumvent the rules in place. The OP should have taken into consideration these limits which are in place before committing any money into these domains. He left himself open to this unfortunate, delicate ,and unenviable situation. The OP is implying that someone - presumably a Canadian - might have filled a complaint against him. Is it that easy with .CA domains? Assuming the names are taken away from the OP, what happens to them? Do they drop? Do they get auctioned?.

Good luck to the OP, for he will need it a lot as it appears.

•••
Nope, it has nothing to do with money. People always find a way or another to actually circumvent the rules in place.

You're talking about 2 very different things.

You asked why outsiders have domains from your country, bearing in mind I don't know what country you're from, I was speaking in general, that definitely 100% some countries encourage outsiders to register domains so that they can make money (for multiple reasons, both legit and/or corruption depending on the country).

In fact .. some countries are extremely aggressive about it .. specifically look at re-purposed ccTLDs .. like .co, .tv, .io, .ai, .me etc .. there are others who also have no rules because they want outside money .. but they go unlucky with meaningless ccTLDs.

But also .. yes .. some people do circumvent rules. But what I was saying is that in some countries you don't need to circumvent the rules because it is either allowed, or even encouraged.

Unfortunately for @Backorder-ing.com .. that is not the case in Canada!

•••
If you look at all the North American domainers snapping up .cn (Chinese) domains during the gold rush...the protectionism doesn't make sense. With a population of only 33 million, you do a disservice to the regional market by shutting out foreign buyers.

Last edited:
•••
If you look at all the North American domainers snapping up .cn (Chinese) domains during the gold rush...the protectionism doesn't make sense. With a population of only 33 million, you do a disservice to the regional market by shutting out foreign buyers.
Well said.

•••

It is done quite on purpose to assure the public knows that a .ca means you are doing business in Canada. If everyone could buy them it would defeat the purpose of a regional extension. In other words, just buy a com.

•••
I don't think anyone will be able to help you at this point. In my experience the .ca registry has always been actively enforcing their local presence requirements.

For this exact reason I would not even concider registering one for personal use, let alone as an Investment. If you cannot legally own it it makes for a risky investment.

The same goes for .us although they hardly ever (to my knowledge) enforce the policy it would always be a huge factor of uncertainty. If you'd encounter a knowledgeable end-user you're screwed as soon as they file a complaint, which might very well have been the case in your situation.

I'm not 100% sure but I think they will delete the domain upon failure of verification of your credentials. Maybe you can partner up with someone who can legally own it and try a backorder of some sort although that probably would require a monetary incentive for your partner.

Maybe @MapleDots can shed some lights on the process once they have established it is an unrighteous registration?

I totally get why these rules are in place like @Ategy.com stated, it is to protect the rights of their own citizens which basically is one of the most important tasks of a registry running a ccTLD.

•••
Well said.

Foreign businesses who have legal operations in Canada are more than welcome to .ca domains as far as I know.

The issue is foreigners who have no intention of building a business, and while not the case with legitimate "domainers", for the most part the concern is fraud, spam, phishing and preventing ligitimate Canadians and Canadian businesses from obtaining the best and most relevant names possible for their business.

Yes I know I've actually made the case against domainers in general .. lol .. but those are the rules and why they are in place. That's why it's better to stay within your country's ccTLD, to invest in ccTLD's that are known to want foreign "DOMAIN REVENUE ONLY" investment, or generic TLD's ngTLD's or .com, .net, .org, .etc ...

The difference with Canada and a few select other nations, is that any potential external domain revenue is completely irrelevant to our economy. If anything, one could argue that the lack of availability of domains due to foreign domainers actually would hurt our economy more then the minor revenue of a few hundred thousand domains.

That's the big difference with Canada and countries like Montenegro, Tuvalu, BIOT (.io), Anguilla, Columbia, etc .. for those countries, the actual domain registration income is significant to them (with regards to the size of their economy) .. and as such they welcome the revenue as a means to enrich their people. Where as the potential foreign revenue for Canada would represent about 1/1,000,000th of our economy. I think it's cool some countries can take advantage of domains to help enrich their people ... but at the end of the day I understand why each country would want to maintain sovereignty over their domain space .. particularly those like Canada where our digital economy is a huge and vital part of our economy.

The other factor is that for many of these other countries, their official language is not English ... whereas domainers still tend to buy English domains .. so in reality, they aren't taking anything away from local businesses.

Even when it comes to domaining with .ca domains, at least (in theory) by only allowing Canadian domainers to buy .ca domains, the domaining revenue stays in Canada and the profits taxed by the Canadian Government.

All that said .. it really sucks @Backorder-ing.com stands to lose $1000! More than the domains, I really hope he find a way to at least get his money back.

Last edited:
•••
Back