IT.COM

discuss Help me not lose 2 domains .ca that i invest 1000 $

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Recived a verofocation from CIRCA for 4 domain names .CA , but only two of them are important for me because i invest in them aprox 1000 USD

CIRCA verification is neccessary to meet the criteria for registration of .CA

I need some one from Canada who have trust in me & viceversa to make a legal partnership that is recognize by Government of Canada

Legal partnership is neccessary to prove i am the right to own .CA & is not mandatory to be for undetermined period of time , i think is possible only to pass this issue , some one who knows the rules

very well .

From customer support recived this link's as guide

http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/cipointernet-internetopic.nsf/eng/Home

http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/cipointernet-internetopic.nsf/eng/h_wr00002.html

But because my english is poor in technical terms is very hard to me to understand what say on this pages

So who want to help me please send me a PM (special if you are a old member & have good reputation)

Kind regards,

Ovidiu

P.S. I speak with some people & say CIRCA make very very rare this type of verification & i guess some want to hurt me & want this two domains ( maybe a domainer ) that are important and make the compliant

say again i invest aprox 1000 USD & possible to be sell to a end buyer over 10000 USD ( even each )

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Have I missed something, or has there been any evidence at all for the frequent claims by OP that someone reported the name(s) to CIRA, or is that just a suggestion by OP? I know that he has had disputes with other NP members, and understand why he thinks it might happen, but do we have any evidence that the domain was reported?

I know that in other categories (like restrictions on regional names, and I believe on unsavoury terms) the names sometimes get through registration, but are caught and reversed by CIRA and registrar often some considerable time later. This leads me to assume that CIRA procedures do regular checks.

In (if I have guessed it correctly) at least one of these names was put on major marketplace. I would not be surprised if such .ca are periodically checked by CIRA (just speculation on my part). In this case the public whois for the name shows a mixed message (Canadian phone code matched to US email address and mailing address in admin contact), etc.

I would not be surprised if this triggers a further look. If you Google search on the full name given as the registrant, to see evidence of Canadian activity, the first Google result is a thread started by the OP with his name as exactly registrant on the .ca and the word SCAMM in title (it is a long and confusing thread). I know the thread was started to defend re another name (and NP probe found no evidence of fraud), but just pointing out what anyone, including CIRA would find by simply Googling the registrant full name.

This is a lesson to all to be careful with what you post as it will live long after interest in the thread wanes.

Many Canadian domain investors feel that .ca should be open, while many others feel that it should be restricted to Canadian presence. That is not the point. The rules as they existed are what matters, not whether any one person agrees with the rules.

But my real point. i think it is far more likely this came up because it was listed on domain marketplace and standard CIRA checks seemed to point to a lot of questions so they locked it and asked for proof of what the registrant checked when the name was placed at the registrar.

Bob

Last edited:
•••
' i think it is far more likely this came up because it was listed on domain marketplace and standard CIRA checks'
Nope! if it was , should check other .ca i own aslo put in marketplace well know ( can CIRA tell me/find what .ca i own ? - NO !)- but they didn't only for this 4 ( 2 of them are decoy - not important )
Maybe if they come with a official statement here on NP & say was standard check
A lesson ? @Bob Hawkes - of course , i learn my lesson

Last edited:
•••
, PLEASE show respect for your country USA & buy/register a .US :xf.smile: (advertising)

To put this into perspective, there are 4.37M .nl domains registered on a population of 17M people.

There are 2.70M .us domains registered on a population of 308M people.

•••
No, not at all well said...

Reporting another domainer is just petty

We are all in the same business and no good can come if we start reporting each other.
Yep I know and that is the whole point of seeing this from the OP's view. This was actually directed to those who really believe the OP should take a loss and those who also believe that there should be restrictions for their own extension. I dont actually mean it and agree 100% to report any one for any domains they own, because I am all for open world with no restrictions. Actually, if I believed in this 100%, it would not take me any time to start from my country's extension and then you will see people flood this thread saying it happened to them with another extension :)

For your part, you actually offered excellent help to the OP if it is possible and great respect for you for that.

Last edited:
•••
It is done quite on purpose to assure the public knows that a .ca means you are doing business in Canada. If everyone could buy them it would defeat the purpose of a regional extension. In other words, just buy a com.
Same in Sweden. Difficult for me to buy Finnish and Norwegian extensions because the domain extensions are not covered by the Scandinavian Treaty Zone and Norway isn't in the EU.

•••
I hope someone can help the OP, but for what o can see now it is useless to look for partnership just to prove that you have a canadian citizen partner for this venture. why?

During the first stage your being ask if you are a canadian or not, if yes you need to send them your canadian citizenship identity to be verified, if not then there are documentation needed to be filled up by you and your partner which is canadian citizen, afterwards you get your domain.

In your case. the government might wondering how did you acquired such name if you are not a canadian, this is why they investigate, either someone complaints on your name or the government knew that your documents are not legit that is why they investigate. Now for a reason, you found a canadian citizen to hell you with, the agency will simply ask him or her, why now? why not before, right after buying these names all documents should be presented and submitted. You are dealing not only with the registers now, but a government run body who takes care of .ca.

1k usd is big, and the time you have wasted, and marketing effort atleast i am hoping you find a solution. to get back your investment or regain the possession of the domains. A lawyer can help but it is costly.

•••
If one of my kids had made this mistake I would probably tell them something like:

1. Sometimes you really should read the small print.
2. Rules and regulations are there for a reason. Even if you decide the are not.
3. You have 2 citizenships NOT ALL citizenships.
4. The Canadian Citizens line at Canadian airports is for... Canadian Citizens. Just like for EU.
5. Gambling on not getting caught and then getting caught. Well what's to complain about?

Konsekvenstänk... Thinking about the consequences of one's actions. Try some of that.

One of my sons stole some sweets at the local shop. He was 14 and got caught. The police and social services were called in. It's easy to lose control and sometimes it teaches a hard lesson.

They weren't trying to punish him. They were trying to protect him.

•••
Personally I think all ccTLD's should be run in a similar fashion. What good is ccTLD when people from other countries can register them.
There are repurposed ccTLD's, which over time represent not the country, but a popular term. eg. .co

And registries stand to profit a lot more in these instances, particularly when the general populace of the originating country does not require an abundant availability of the names.

But .ca is not one of those repurposed ccTLDs, and nor should it be- the letters CA are not really ubiquitous with anything other than a short form for Canada. It's not like .TV or .Ai or something, which are actual terms for something.

Lesson is, know the rules before you pay. 1k x2, hard lesson, I feel you.

•••
he letters CA are not really ubiquitous with anything other than a short form for Canada. It's not like .TV or .Ai or something, which are actual terms for something.

Before CIRA clamped down I saw a lot of people in California sign up for a .ca.
Technically their 40 million population trumps Canada's 37 million

So if Cira did open it up California alone would probably snap up quite a few.

Personally I think a countries ccTLD should be restricted to businesses and individuals within their country. Any open ccTLD is technically no longer a ccTLD and it should be given a different designation.

•••
The OP should have taken into consideration these limits which are in place before committing any money into these domains.

I like this. It summarizes the issue.

When there is no problem you are alone with the profit. When the risks get realized you want someone who will share the problem. Risk defines hopeless situations. Once you take the risks you are alone on a one way road with no possibility to turn back. This is the definition of business.

•••
Rules are rules.
Helping one who (deliberately) didn't obey a rule is bad for integrity.
You're not losing 1k. That's the cost of learning from your mistake.

•••
Taking a risk is taking that responsibility of accepting the consequences, whatever it may be.

•••
Find a trustable person at NP who is from Canada. Make sure you are trustable also. Make an agreement with him/her this way:
-Admin email belongs to you
-The rest of the contact info belongs to him/her.
-Offer some percentage of ownership, or percentage of a sale price. Promise to sell if there is an offer in
some range.

I'm not saying it would work. But I don't see any reason why it shouldn't.

Last edited:
•••
Totally against this. As a fellow Canadian myself, if you are not a Canadian or have a legal business in Canada, you should not be buying .ca domains. Hope you lose the .ca domains you invested so much in for trying to get around the rules.

•••
Hmmmmm....to all that support me or not...

Very strange that a domain (one that i buy on aftermarket ) is reg in 2018-03-03 until now , and without respect the 'rules' of CIRA not recived a complain , only after i make heavy advertising for this 2 domains ( not to mention i sell same type of niche with XXXX but other extension + i own , maybe over , 50% global market of this niche as extensions ) , recived , me (wow), a complain from CIRA

Probably if i will not resolve this problem in next few days ..ok ..i lose money (for me is very hard because of my financial situation) but this is life , ok again, problem is the domains will be on free & who make the complain will catch it & make big bugs - just because he can

Hi, Perhaps it's because you've set up too much advertising and backlinks or blackhat links?
And then the domains will have lost a lot or too much value anyway. They'll be marked SPAM
If you have a buyer then can't you request that they prove a partnership with you if they really want it?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back