Dynadot

Help me choose the right logo for my domain portfolio website!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi, I'm in the beginning stages of setting up my own domain name website. I need some help to choose the right logo. There is a messed up looking logo on the website but don't pay it any mind...I just wanted to do a test..

I really appreciate your help!
I'm not sure if I should follow the route of using a character either...

Here is the link to vote and give feedback: https://99designs.com/logo-design/vote-56mvnp

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I'm Torn between #96 & #9 even 95 abit
I sell creative brandable two word .coms mostly.
Got brands is serious but it's also warm and fun.

what kinda fun do you offer? When someone sets out to buy a domain is he looking for fun as well from the company? Domains are the one product that it really is you get exactly what you paid for, you pay X for X domain, you get it and thats it.

The issue that people do have is trust, who is this guy, the more fun you make things look the less they will trust you. Godaddy can make things fun, they spent a few hundred million on TV ads, they can put cartoons and whatever else they wish on their site, others can't and those who are in business for more than 5 days don't try.

Be serious, stay serious, try portraying a serious image, don't use cute words or childish youthful nonsense, these things are great to show to grandma and the local bingo club but not for those looking to part with their money in exchange for your domain. Down the road, once your are world known, feel free to use all the baby language on your site as if your surfer is 4 years old, tell them things like:

"hello, we promise to make buying a domain super nicely quickly and fun, hehehee"

"ok, let's get started, are you ready? Ok, we thought so....."

"Ok, we need those credit card numbers..."

Yeah, some sites act like that, sounds like a lot of fun, all the way to bankruptcy court.

•••
what kinda fun do you offer? When someone sets out to buy a domain is he looking for fun as well from the company? Domains are the one product that it really is you get exactly what you paid for, you pay X for X domain, you get it and thats it.

The issue that people do have is trust, who is this guy, the more fun you make things look the less they will trust you. Godaddy can make things fun, they spent a few hundred million on TV ads, they can put cartoons and whatever else they wish on their site, others can't and those who are in business for more than 5 days don't try.

Be serious, stay serious, try portraying a serious image, don't use cute words or childish youthful nonsense, these things are great to show to grandma and the local bingo club but not for those looking to part with their money in exchange for your domain. Down the road, once your are world known, feel free to use all the baby language on your site as if your surfer is 4 years old, tell them things like:

"hello, we promise to make buying a domain super nicely quickly and fun, hehehee"

"ok, let's get started, are you ready? Ok, we thought so....."

"Ok, we need those credit card numbers..."

Yeah, some sites act like that, sounds like a lot of fun, all the way to bankruptcy court.
Serious sound advice you give but ironically funny lol

I agree, I have to ask myself would i trust a website with that logo? Would i buy from them... well maybe in a rare case if they really have a domain I want...
However when I say fun it was not the right word to use... I meant to express something that's serious but always warm. But I think #9 is the best way to go If I want serious offers. People might even pay more because they perceive the company to be legit and luxury yet creative...Someone may buy a name for a 4 figure on DNS that they would want to pay $100 bucks for from a half decent site with a character.

Thanks for expressing your points in a clear and eloquent way!

•••
So out of the three 27 would be your ultimate choice?
Can you elaborate more on that #27
Yes,
I liked a lot the depth effect.
Also don't add too many colors.

•••
Yes,
I liked a lot the depth effect.
Also don't add too many colors.
I like it too but it doesn't pop on the site, it's almost flat. This image is like a mockup so it conforms to the material it would be printed on. I really need the logo to standout in the site so it's hard choosing between it and #9.
Some also confuse the o for an e because the brands is way smaller on a site header

•••
•••
•••
I vote(d) for #95 (was hooked when I first landed on AlmightyDomains.com .. and still am hooked). Second to that, undoubtedly #9 (first impression = professional) but I'm not sure if it works well with your web-theme. I don't personally like any of the others at all, simply not good enough ... IMO :)

•••
I vote(d) for #95 (was hooked when I first landed on AlmightyDomains.com .. and still am hooked). Second to that, undoubtedly #9 (first impression = professional) but I'm not sure if it works well with your web-theme. I don't personally like any of the others at all, simply not good enough ... IMO :)
Thanks! This link should have full designs... http://99d.me/c/d871 See #9 with colors?

I like #95 too and I saw almighty domains. I think going down the same route may not be smart.

•••
The logo looks nicer with the colors, not sure who exactly the target market is though (in relation to how professional they are) because color would play a significant role in expressing how serious or playful your brand is. Example, If you are in the same line as BrandBucket's products, then the color version will work better than the plain one.

Personally, I wouldn't care much about the similarities of #95 from a customer perspective because I know that it's not the same brand (and even if it was the same owner using different brands, it still wouldn't bother me). The logo gives off a certain tone to me, and I think that's what branding is all about. I'm not sure how many other businesses use cartoon branding, but it works for me.

There may be a slight disadvantage with #95 when it comes to longevity, where as #9 could last a tad bit longer with changing trends. Example, #95 would look more outdated than #9 if newer trends in cartoons and fonts come about, kinda like the Ninja and the Zen cartoons? Either way, you'd probably in any case update whichever logo you eventually choose as things change in the future. #95 is still my first choice.

NB - These are all my personal opinions as an end-user and potential customer, and thus cannot be taken as what the masses would want. I guess your voting platform may be the closest you'd get to due diligence.

Best of wishes with the project.

•••
So out of the three 27 would be your ultimate choice?
Can you elaborate more on that #27

I think #9 based on your design criteria for your website.

•••
But Is it the best for what I am doing...two word creative .com domains

Yes. If you are wanting to appear serious and respected
I'm Torn between #96 & #9 even 95 abit
I sell creative brandable two word .coms mostly.
Got brands is serious but it's also warm and fun.

IMHO. If you want a professional looking website, you should use #9. If you want frivolous (more warm and fun) you should choose $95. I'm not saying you cannot be frivolous with #9 or professional looking with $95. that depends on your design and content. But I would put a serious logo on a serious website and a more frivolous logo on a more frivolous looking website. YMMV.

•••
Serious sound advice you give but ironically funny lol

I agree, I have to ask myself would i trust a website with that logo? Would i buy from them... well maybe in a rare case if they really have a domain I want...
However when I say fun it was not the right word to use... I meant to express something that's serious but always warm. But I think #9 is the best way to go If I want serious offers. People might even pay more because they perceive the company to be legit and luxury yet creative...Someone may buy a name for a 4 figure on DNS that they would want to pay $100 bucks for from a half decent site with a character.

Thanks for expressing your points in a clear and eloquent way!

I don't buy retail under most circumstances. But if I were to buy the same domain I'd prefer to buy from a serious looking website rather than a frivolous looking website. YMMV. I agree 100% with @AEProgram's comments above.

•••
@rivey001 - IMHO. I think you are way, way over thinking this. You should go with what your gut tells you, unless you don't trust you gut :) In that case. Do the opposite :)

•••
These are the Color versions of logo #9. I guess I can use these on marketing materials. But should I use the white only version on website?
00000000000000.jpg

I told designer to edit colors to not confuse brands. How do you like logo with colors? @stub

•••
#95 and #87 (the bottom one here, the top is trying too hard). The rest are useless.

•••
These are the Color versions of logo #9. I guess I can use these on marketing materials. But should I use the white only version on website?
Show attachment 29884

I told designer to edit colors to not confuse brands. How do you like logo with colors? @stub
Don't like it at all, it's well designed but not good for a brand logo. All those colors and so on it's like trying to fit 10 people on a motorcycle.

•••
#95 and #87 (the bottom one here, the top is trying too hard). The rest are useless.
I like those myself... 95 doesn't show too great on my site...and the character one is awesome but seem to be a route too often used. It's a strong statement to call the rest useess?

Everyone so far, quite a number of people including designers have said #9 is solid and some say # 95 and a few #27.

What is your reasoning behind calling #9 useless?

•••
Don't like it at all, it's well designed but not good for a brand logo. All those colors and so on it's like trying to fit 10 people on a motorcycle.
Just saw this. You can still respond to my last question.

The original was just one color and the style has been successfully used by different businesses. see the website here at GotBrands.

I havent started designer site yet but you can view logo in header...

•••
In all humbleness, I could have designed better logo drafts for much cheaper and site included for about half the price you paid for this contest. With contests you have a lot of unexperienced designers copying the logos that get the highest rank in the contest, instead of getting a good variety of designs to choose from. Before you guys decide to blow 300 dollars on a 99Designs.com contest, be sure to get in touch with a professional designer. You may even be able to negotiate more than one service for a total price that's a fraction of what it would cost to do a 99designs contest.

Call me biased, but that's my honest advice!

NF

•••
I like those myself... 95 doesn't show too great on my site...and the character one is awesome but seem to be a route too often used. It's a strong statement to call the rest useess?

Everyone so far, quite a number of people including designers have said #9 is solid and some say # 95 and a few #27.

What is your reasoning behind calling #9 useless?

Yes it's a strong statement, true statement nonetheless. I work in marketing and advertisement. From all those there, the best logos that suit your branding are the bottom one on #87 and #96 (my favorite in terms of branding potential if you know how to explore it) and none of them are that impressive.

I know you and many people like #9 but it's just a variation of the Uber logo. And you can mask that and try to embellish it with all those colors you added, but as I said, it's like trying to fit 10 people on a motorcycle. Tacky. And I am not saying it is badly designed, it's not. It's visually appealing. However, when choosing a logo it's not enough to look at the surface, you need to dig deeper. And when you do, you find out what I just told you.

You mentioned "the style was successfully used by different brands", yes it was. But you are missing something. Just because the Coca Cola logo strategy worked for them doesn't mean it will work for mine.

Ultimately, this is your decision and you seem to have made up your mind, so go for it.

•••
In all humbleness, I could have designed better logo drafts for much cheaper and site included for about half the price you paid for this contest. With contests you have a lot of unexperienced designers copying the logos that get the highest rank in the contest, instead of getting a good variety of designs to choose from. Before you guys decide to blow 300 dollars on a 99Designs.com contest, be sure to get in touch with a professional designer. You may even be able to negotiate more than one service for a total price that's a fraction of what it would cost to do a 99designs contest.

Call me biased, but that's my honest advice!

NF
Advice well taken and lesson learned!
I agree with you actually. I never used 99Designs prior to this ever, mostly because of the hefty price and I like the idea of it.
I guess thinking so many designers would result in at least one great design. I wish I didn't guarantee the money. Next time I will ask around on namepros first. Do you have a portfolio of designs I could look at?
And so you have a design in mind you think would work best?
And you are right I probably could have gotten the site deigned a bit too at that price! I spent a bit on the name so I though I would invest likewise in a logo. But I'm not too impressed by the results.☹️

I'm even thinking a simple design with a question mark or exclamation may be more effective and in line with the name.

•••
Can you still ask the designers for changes? Or is it too late now? If all entries are final, the two color version of #9 is ok (#140 bottom) Some of the others are sloppy, which is why I am asking if they can still clean them up, #127 is OK but the "O" is all messy, as it is in all versions of that design.

I would still contact support and see what your options are, looks like if you don't pick a winner, they all split it, so proly better just to pick something, then at least you have the option to use it or chuck it.
https://support.99designs.com/hc/en-us/articles/204761955
If a winner isn't chosen in a guaranteed contest, the prize money will be distributed evenly amongst the eligible designers on the 61st day of the contest being in locked.

Also I agree with @stub - you are way over thinking this, and it is because I am the same way, analysis paralysis, pick one and move on, you can always improve it later, in which case go with the safe #9. Or put your favorites in a hat and draw.

Thank you for this thread though, watching you go through this process will save me money and energy soon. I haven't even picked the name, I have a couple candidates.

•••
Can you still ask the designers for changes? Or is it too late now? If all entries are final, the two color version of #9 is ok (#140 bottom) Some of the others are sloppy, which is why I am asking if they can still clean them up, #127 is OK but the "O" is all messy, as it is in all versions of that design.

I would still contact support and see what your options are, looks like if you don't pick a winner, they all split it, so proly better just to pick something, then at least you have the option to use it or chuck it.
https://support.99designs.com/hc/en-us/articles/204761955
If a winner isn't chosen in a guaranteed contest, the prize money will be distributed evenly amongst the eligible designers on the 61st day of the contest being in locked.

Also I agree with @stub - you are way over thinking this, and it is because I am the same way, analysis paralysis, pick one and move on, you can always improve it later, in which case go with the safe #9. Or put your favorites in a hat and draw.

Thank you for this thread though, watching you go through this process will save me money and energy soon. I haven't even picked the name, I have a couple candidates.
The Designers are willing to do revisions if I ask them. some even willing do new designs. If you have a design idea that you feel would work, then show me and I can pass it on to a designer.

You are the first one to like #127, i am sure the "O" can be fixed. #9 is nice but not sure if it's the right look for GotBrands... I am disappointed in 99designs but I think the process is good to go through...As It may lead me to not the best look but to the right look and help others..

•••
Hi, I'm in the beginning stages of setting up my own domain name website. I need some help to choose the right logo. There is a messed up looking logo on the website but don't pay it any mind...I just wanted to do a test..

I really appreciate your help!
I'm not sure if I should follow the route of using a character either...

Here is the link to vote and give feedback: https://99designs.com/logo-design/vote-56mvnp
---------------------
Tough to choose a logo when I don't know what is the product and your target audience.

•••
---------------------
Tough to choose a logo when I don't know what is the product and your target audience.
I am selling brandable two word .com domains(Mostly). The website will have each name featured with a logo and a detail page which also have a contact form. These names are fit for startups, non profits and new companies. As shown by my sale history. GotBrands.com will be the go to place to find creative names. Hope that helps? GotBrands? GotBrands!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back