IT.COM

Help me choose the right logo for my domain portfolio website!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi, I'm in the beginning stages of setting up my own domain name website. I need some help to choose the right logo. There is a messed up looking logo on the website but don't pay it any mind...I just wanted to do a test..

I really appreciate your help!
I'm not sure if I should follow the route of using a character either...

Here is the link to vote and give feedback: https://99designs.com/logo-design/vote-56mvnp

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
When you finished installing your theme just install a cache plugin such as wp-rocket (not free) or w3 total cache (free). Those are the best 2 caching plugins I would recommend (of course choose only one). Then after caching is configured on your site add your site to a CDN such as cloudflare. They have a free plan as well.

Doing these 2 things will tremendously speed up your site.

One last question?
DomainNameSales.com home page have this full width dark but transparent sheet that goes across the middle of the page. How do I get something similar? What is it called exactly.

It doesn't even have to be full width. I just want to write some stuff for people to see when they visit site. So I need another layer above the startup image u see.

•••
One last question?
DomainNameSales.com home page have this full width dark but transparent sheet that goes across the middle of the page. How do I get something similar? What is it called exactly.

It doesn't even have to be full width. I just want to write some stuff for people to see when they visit site. So I need another layer above the startup image u see.
It's just done through CSS. A div content box that was made semi-transparent.

If you know where to edit your css and assuming your box class is called "content" than you could accomplish something similar by adding this to css:

.content {
background: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.3) none repeat scroll 0 0;
}

--

Using the example of your site, if you wish for example to change the box with the text "Men's bags" and make it semi-transparent you could add the following to CSS:

.wpb_wrapper h1 {
color: #fff;
}
.wpb_wrapper {
background: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.3) none repeat scroll 0 !important;
}

The result would look like this:

example.jpg

Last edited:
•••
I like #9, its a professional feel.
and #87 first one

•••
I'm really surprised I've only just seen this thread. I personally only like #95 & #9. My comments would have been, if you want your domain to stand out, then #95. If you wanted to depict serious quality, then #9. If you choose #9, I would be expecting to see a serious/sober website, but what I see is some gawdy background picture which would even overpower #95. You need to get a much more serious background for either #95 or #9. If not just a plain color, then take a look at Uniregistry's changing backgrounds. They are all fairly "open-spaced" attractive and with just enough color to look very good. I cannot imagine trying to read any serious text on your gawdy background, even if a plain panel covered most of it with the text inside.

If you are going for serious quality, it takes more than just a logo. You have to carry that through the rest of the website. If, as someone said in the comments, the domain name gotbrands.com is a little bit slangy or not serious, then I would have chosen #95 but still removed entirely the gawdy background, and maybe you could have had more fun with some splashes of color elsewhere on the page.

But what you have now is the worst of both worlds. IMHO. YMMV :)

•••
I like it when its simple and professional. #9 is my pick!

•••
I'm really surprised I've only just seen this thread. I personally only like #95 & #9. My comments would have been, if you want your domain to stand out, then #95. If you wanted to depict serious quality, then #9. If you choose #9, I would be expecting to see a serious/sober website, but what I see is some gawdy background picture which would even overpower #95. You need to get a much more serious background for either #95 or #9. If not just a plain color, then take a look at Uniregistry's changing backgrounds. They are all fairly "open-spaced" attractive and with just enough color to look very good. I cannot imagine trying to read any serious text on your gawdy background, even if a plain panel covered most of it with the text inside.

If you are going for serious quality, it takes more than just a logo. You have to carry that through the rest of the website. If, as someone said in the comments, the domain name gotbrands.com is a little bit slangy or not serious, then I would have chosen #95 but still removed entirely the gawdy background, and maybe you could have had more fun with some splashes of color elsewhere on the page.

But what you have now is the worst of both worlds. IMHO. YMMV :)
Hey Stub,
Always good advice from you!
I really haven't started working in the site yet other than testing a few things so the image is just a fill in. A professional slider is to be there which should have installed with the theme. I'm working with the theme creators to sort this out.
On my side(associates etc) most people
Seem to like , 96 & 9. But they leaned toward 96 more saying 9 maybe be too luxury and it's like Uber and not welcoming to everyone.
Also they said the character idea is old and I should do something new. What are your thoughts on their observations!

The domains I own and mostly solid/creative two word .coms that have worked for me. I can send you a few by pm if you feel it would give you better idea.
I would maybe have to use logo mock ups for displaying the names and quality logos in order to keep up with the consistency of the luxury logo. I do want buyers to take me seriously.

I've done better negotiating by myself and that has help my confidence. I depended on Dns brokers but out of 100 inquiries they were only one sale. That pushed me to do this and take it serious.

I will get a more professional background using a revolution slider

•••
•••
It's just done through CSS. A div content box that was made semi-transparent.

If you know where to edit your css and assuming your box class is called "content" than you could accomplish something similar by adding this to css:

.content {
background: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.3) none repeat scroll 0 0;
}

--

Using the example of your site, if you wish for example to change the box with the text "Men's bags" and make it semi-transparent you could add the following to CSS:

.wpb_wrapper h1 {
color: #fff;
}
.wpb_wrapper {
background: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.3) none repeat scroll 0 !important;
}

The result would look like this:

example.jpg
Thanks a million! I will look into this sometime today and let u know the result!!

•••
My vote goes for #9. It's professional and simple. Also if you wish to use only letters (without background) then you can use the background color as a font color.

•••
•••
Hey Stub,
Always good advice from you!
I really haven't started working in the site yet other than testing a few things so the image is just a fill in. A professional slider is to be there which should have installed with the theme. I'm working with the theme creators to sort this out.
On my side(associates etc) most people
Seem to like , 96 & 9. But they leaned toward 96 more saying 9 maybe be too luxury and it's like Uber and not welcoming to everyone.
Also they said the character idea is old and I should do something new. What are your thoughts on their observations!

The domains I own and mostly solid/creative two word .coms that have worked for me. I can send you a few by pm if you feel it would give you better idea.
I would maybe have to use logo mock ups for displaying the names and quality logos in order to keep up with the consistency of the luxury logo. I do want buyers to take me seriously.

I've done better negotiating by myself and that has help my confidence. I depended on Dns brokers but out of 100 inquiries they were only one sale. That pushed me to do this and take it serious.

I will get a more professional background using a revolution slider

So if you are looking to be taken seriously as a website, I think there is only 1 choice, #9. I think it looks good for a professional website. You can have a serious website using #95, ala GoDaddy for example. But in most cases, it might seem more flippant, a bit like the domain name. But I actually like #9 + GotBrands.com

Yes you can PM me with your domains, too see if there is anything better.

I don't agree with the arguments about Uber or the character. It all depends on your audience. I like the quality/luxury look of #9 to represent a quality, professional looking, serious website. I like the character if you want to lighten things up a bit.

As you can tell. I'm torn between them. But given your stated goals, and having to make a decision, I'd choose #9.

•••
So if you are looking to be taken seriously as a website, I think there is only 1 choice, #9. I think it looks good for a professional website. You can have a serious website using #95, ala GoDaddy for example. But in most cases, it might seem more flippant, a bit like the domain name. But I actually like #9 + GotBrands.com

I don't agree with the arguments about Uber or the character. It all depends on your audience. I like the quality/luxury look of #9 to represent a quality, professional looking, serious website. I like the character if you want to lighten things up a bit.

As you can tell. I'm torn between them. But given your stated goals, and having to make a decision, I'd choose #9.
Thanks, I'll pm you in a bit.
Not necessarily to find a better name though( unless you see one better).
But more to get an idea of the kind of names I'm selling...they are creative so there is a balance between seriousness and fun or warmness..

Also I'm not sure what you mean by flippant. I choose Gotbrands because it wasn't safe like other names(directbrands, creativebrands etc) but it was catchy, memorable and has marketing power so its potential is greater than it comes off. Like got milk maybe... It's like a conversation starter and it gets you thinking and whether good or bad it's remembered. It could be got? Or got! I guess it comes down to how it's marketed.

•••
#9 looks good indeed but it is a very often used concept.
#95 is creative
#27 is what I would chose for more than just a website logo.

•••
#9 looks the most professional to me

•••
#9 looks good indeed but it is a very often used concept.
#95 is creative
#27 is what I would chose for more than just a website logo.
So out of the three 27 would be your ultimate choice?
Can you elaborate more on that #27

•••
•••

Check PM for some names..

•••
27-95-96-87

9 is not in line with the slangy "got brands" , too serious imo, otherwise nice design
Slangy is an interesting word to use... This was an intentional choice i made on the name..
It can be GOT? or GOT! .... It think GotMilk worked for it's purpose too..it all comes down to marketing and presentation.

But I like how you are thinking by not just looking on the best designed domain or most serious but rather the best fit for the idea...

I was leaning towards #96 but don't know if the cost justify it; as it looks like something i could design myself or get on fiverr.. Also I tried putting it on the website but it didnt look all that fitting for it. But maybe it could be the right choice for that strikes the right balance...The names are fun creative but excellent for a startup etc...
I can put the logo back on the site for you to see; let me know...

RECENT SUBMISSIONS

attachment_70794212
attachment_70794276
attachment_70802355
attachment_70787206

•••

I'm Torn between #96 & #9 even 95 abit

I sell creative brandable two word .coms mostly.
Got brands is serious but it's also warm and fun.

•••
#9 is really nice. Simple and the "GB" part works perfectly for favicons, social media profile pictures, ect

•••
"Slangy" may not be the proper word to use, hopefully it did not come across as offensive. I used it as opposed to serious, official etc..."playful" might have been a better word. "Got brands" as opposed to something like "business presence".

Re the latest submissions , I like the one in the topmost big black square, even if it uses many colors.

•••
https://99designs.com/logo-design/vote-56mvnp

OK the text part of 96 is forgettable and boring on its own. If you like the character so much, go with the professional 9 logo and stick the GB from 9 on the heros characters costume

OR come up with another character, I still like my cow branded concept, so instead of a superhero if you want a male character it could be a cowboy? Holding a hot branding iron in his hand with the GB #9 ?

And I agree with @Asfas1000 (upper black square) and you can change from serious to playful with different colors, would be nice to see b&w and monochrome or two colors just to see

Can you edit that post to add numbers to the new logos, or will they show up soon on your 99d page?

•••
I like 95, 109 and 112 personally. Depending what my website looked like I may be tempted to go with one over the other..

•••
https://99designs.com/logo-design/vote-56mvnp

OK the text part of 96 is forgettable and boring on its own. If you like the character so much, go with the professional 9 logo and stick the GB from 9 on the heros characters costume

OR come up with another character, I still like my cow branded concept, so instead of a superhero if you want a male character it could be a cowboy? Holding a hot branding iron in his hand with the GB #9 ?

And I agree with @Asfas1000 (upper black square) and you can change from serious to playful with different colors, would be nice to see b&w and monochrome or two colors just to see

Can you edit that post to add numbers to the new logos, or will they show up soon on your 99d page?
d871

This link should have full designs... http://99d.me/c/d871
Yeah i thought 96 was cool but its something i could design myself... The character could also work in the place of the "O" for #96 and yes your idea is cool too.

•••
I like 95, 109 and 112 personally. Depending what my website looked like I may be tempted to go with one over the other..
So you have a preference for logos with Characters...for my website/idea which character would you use?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back