Dynadot

He didn't sell me, instead let it go!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Robin Hablani

GoDomainers.comEstablished Member
Impact
I had a domain registered back in 2013. It was my first ever domain, so I wanted it back. I offered the seller about $50. This was the best I could afford, as the domain was not that worth it.

He made counter offer, I made it $60, today the domain has not been renewed and it's coming up for auction. Don't really know, what is his plan? Is he trying to play around? I mean, if I win it, will he renew it and would try to take advantage?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If it’s Godaddy auctions, probably

“testing the waters” before renewing, the worst!

Good luck.

Samer

Last edited:
•••
If it’s Godaddy auctions, probably

“testing the waters” before renewing, the worst!

Good luck.

Samer

thanks!

That's a smart play, let's seeee!!!

Would be interesting to see, how it goes.

According to you what should be my strategy in this case?

•••
thanks!

That's a smart play, let's seeee!!!

Would be interesting to see, how it goes.

According to you what should be my strategy in this case?

Yup, those people are the worst of the worst

If he felt confident enough to reject $60, probably smart enough to pull one of these.
“fishing expeditions” see what market

I dont like doing them due to dangerous close past expiry; & unethical. I believe Godaddy reduced the expiry date to try dissuade them

Last edited:
•••
•••
wait for it to expire and backorder it @ Dropcatch for $10 thus saving $50

Yes would rather wait without placing any bid and then will directly buy it during closeout!!!

•••
Yes would rather wait without placing any bid and then will directly buy it during closeout!!!

Expiring names that can be renewed should not be eligible for any type Godaddy auctions.
Listing any Godaddy auctions, should be final.

Samer

Last edited:
•••
If the domain is registered at Godaddy it can not be renewed after the auction starts.

•••
if he is just playing around , ask someone to get it for you a friend a relative ... give him the money and let him bidfor it

•••
If it's auctioned at GoDaddy, be careful, you might get the bots interested in it and end up having to pay $150 instead of $50.

•••
There’s also the possibility that he is not playing any games, but just rejected your offer because he found it insulting and preferred to let it expire. So, you might end up getting it for nearly registration fee (just a possibility).

It has happened to me. Just under a year ago, I had an end-user, CEO of a multimillion dollar company, offer me $100 for a name. He did so in a dismissive tone I didn’t like. I chose to let the name go here on NamePros for $25.

•••
Especially in these times, it is a possibility that he simply overlooked the reminders and it has expired, or nearly expired, by accident.

I think the right thing to do depends on how badly you want it. By placing a bid, there is definitely, as others have stated, chance that you will spur bots or other humans to bid too.

I agree with @Samer that the entire idea of names being auctioned when they can still be renewed (I realize it depends on where they are registered) is wrong and should be stopped.

I hope you get it one way or another, @Robin Hablani !

Bob

•••
There’s also the possibility that he is not playing any games, but just rejected your offer because he found it insulting and preferred to let it expire. So, you might end up getting it for nearly registration fee (just a possibility).

It has happened to me. Just under a year ago, I had an end-user, CEO of a multimillion dollar company, offer me $100 for a name. He did so in a dismissive tone I didn’t like. I chose to let the name go here on NamePros for $25.

I agree. I have rejected many offers, then maybe let a domain expire down the road.

There are some buyers that you just know the process is going to be a major hassle and it is not worth the effort for a marginal sale. I have seen a direct correlation between the lower the price and the more annoying the sales process tends to be.

Brad

•••
If the domain is registered at Godaddy it can not be renewed after the auction starts.

Should that read "starts with a first bid"

•••
•••
I had a domain registered back in 2013. It was my first ever domain, so I wanted it back. I offered the seller about $50. This was the best I could afford, as the domain was not that worth it.

He made counter offer, I made it $60, today the domain has not been renewed and it's coming up for auction. Don't really know, what is his plan? Is he trying to play around? I mean, if I win it, will he renew it and would try to take advantage?

Hard to say without knowing the name and what their counter offer was. However, it's possible when you made your offer the name was already in redemption, which would cost $80 for the registrant to retain control and enable the sale. In this case your offer leaves no incentive for them to waste time on a name that brings in zero, or worse, a loss...imo.

•••
•••
Last edited:
•••
Let him renew it wait another year offer $30.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back