IT.COM

Buyer uses how much you paid for how much he is willing to pay....

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I have a buyer that offered me $50 for a domain and when I countered he told me that since I only paid $10 for a domain, his offer was more than fair. He came to this conclusion because he looked up domain and found it was newly registered in February, so he thinks I only paid $10 for it...He's right but that's not my point...My thought is that the domain was picked up from a pending delete list and the value is based on the domain and its keywords not how much I paid for it.

Has anybody else had similar encounters and how did you handle the situation...did the domain not sell, did you get what you wanted for the domain or did you agree and let him have it for the price he offered?

Thanks,
Eric

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
did you solicit the buyer or did they contact you out of the blue?

but whether to take a profit now or hope for more later....

is really up to you

imo...

•••
Time is valuable. That's what he pays for.

•••
•••
I have a buyer that offered me $50 for a domain and when I countered he told me that since I only paid $10 for a domain, his offer was more than fair. He came to this conclusion because he looked up domain and found it was newly registered in February, so he thinks I only paid $10 for it...He's right but that's not my point...My thought is that the domain was picked up from a pending delete list and the value is based on the domain and its keywords not how much I paid for it.

Has anybody else had similar encounters and how did you handle the situation...did the domain not sell, did you get what you wanted for the domain or did you agree and let him have it for the price he offered?

Thanks,
Eric

You should have asked him if he would sell a land for same price he bought it. Next time, never sell domains to buyers who do not have a website for the keyword of the domain name you are hoping to sell.

•••
Whether you got a great deal or overpaid, it is not really that relevant to the value itself.

You are probably just wasting your time engaging with a potential buyer with this mindset.

Brad

•••
You cant debate with the "you paid only $10" crowd!

You should ignore and wait.

(this advice assumes the buyer contacted you first)

•••
You cant debate with the "you paid only $10" crowd!

You should ignore and wait.

(this advice assumes the buyer contacted you first)

They contacted me through my efty landing page.

•••
•••
Yes, the most significant challenge of selling domains to potential end users is the prevailing mindset that a domain should be an $XX expenditure and that someone asking $XXX or more for a domain is a scammer. Yet companies regularly spend many thousands of dollars on all kinds of other ordinary business expenses without questioning those expenditures as excessive. The reality is that if you have a portfolio of domains and have been in the industry a while, cumulatively you likely have thousands of dollars invested in your business. $xx sales don't generate adequate ROI as time devoted to an employer in developed markets is normally compensated in the $XX/hour range.

•••
Just ignore, don't waste your time with those types of buyers

•••
While I wouldn't spend much time debating with him, I don't think it is good to ignore buyers. I would probably say something along the lines of "Sex.com was free when it was first registered, that doesn't mean its value is zero or close to it. In fact it sold for $14 million. My domain was first registered in XXXX and I recently won it after the previous owner neglected to renew it. My price is $x,xxx." You can find the original creation date on DomainIQ or similar if you didn't make note of it before it dropped. After that I wouldn't engage in any more discussion with him unless he comes up in price.

Also maybe show him some comps too, although that might be spending too much time on this particular inquiry. Most people don't understand the domain business, but that doesn't necessarily mean he doesn't have money. He may just think he's being clever, until you show him otherwise.

•••
eh, I'd just ignore him or let him know the .net is available. for $10, better yet, .xyz for $1

•••
no point getting hooked on his words.. look at it on case by case basis.. look at the domain he wants.. his price.. your cost for it.. how much potential you think it has or how mcuh you like it..

someone recently made me godaddy offer on a domainer related domain. he said: he never pays more than $100 for recent regs.. which is something you don't really need to say... but I guess you have the right to say it if you want to... anyway, in the end I let him have my 1 month old $2 .com promo reg for his offered price. except his words didn't affect my decision. so imo its best to concentrate on the domain you're selling. not his words. cause sometimes a $50 offer will be worth taking. sometimes not. and which is which will have nothing to do with his explanation for it.

so like someone said.. never ignore the buyer. always ignore his explanations or reasons.

gl

•••
Had something similar. Guy contacted me for a domain and offered $50. I explained it's worth a lot more and will not even send a counter offer. Also told him a similar name related to mine was owned by a large financial powerhouse. He never offered another amount and that was the end of it. Obviously his price and mine were way off so it was better that he didn't respond further since he didn't want to try and compete with a larger company which is what I was aiming for initially.

•••
While I wouldn't spend much time debating with him, I don't think it is good to ignore buyers. I would probably say something along the lines of "Sex.com was free when it was first registered, that doesn't mean its value is zero or close to it. In fact it sold for $14 million. My domain was first registered in XXXX and I recently won it after the previous owner neglected to renew it. My price is $x,xxx." You can find the original creation date on DomainIQ or similar if you didn't make note of it before it dropped. After that I wouldn't engage in any more discussion with him unless he comes up in price.

Also maybe show him some comps too, although that might be spending too much time on this particular inquiry. Most people don't understand the domain business, but that doesn't necessarily mean he doesn't have money. He may just think he's being clever, until you show him otherwise.

I won a domain on GD for $xxx, I have it listed for low $xx,xxx.

I googled the domain just yesterday and the second result on Google, *directly* under my domain and lander with pricing is:

MYDOMAIN.com Sales History and Comparable sales:

namebio.com/mydomain.com

Must the domains be indexed with their own page?

Last edited:
•••
eh, I'd just ignore him or let him know the .net is available. for $10, better yet, .xyz for $1

Why go out of your way to show the buyer cheaper alternatives? If he has already checked lesser extensions and is aware of them you might validate his thought to grab one instead. If he hadn't already checked you may put an idea in his head and cost yourself a sale. And having the .net or similar available makes the domain look less valuable so I wouldn't draw attention to it. I don't see the upside.

I won a domain on GD for $xxx, I have it listed for low $xx,xxx.

I googled the domain just yesterday and the second result on Google, *directly* under my domain and lander with pricing is:

MYDOMAIN.com Sales History and Comparable sales:

namebio.com/mydomain.com

Must the domains be indexed with their own page?

We aren't going to get rid of the domain details pages because I think they're useful, you can see comps, a trend graph, the latest screenshot, other sales of the same domain, etc. We're considering adding more info like age, maybe search volume and CPC numbers, and things of that nature too.

If you were just asking why we don't block them from being indexed by search engines, that would be counter to our goal of helping people find information on domain sales. We're not going to build a site and then go out of our way to make sure people can't find it.

There are other sites tracking sales as well, and they also have detail pages indexed in search engines. Granted they don't rank as well but the info is out there anyway.

•••
You're lucky to get at least $50 offer. There are people who would offer you $5, $10 or $20 for a domain name which you hand registered for $30-$50. They don't bother to look at the keyword worth, the recent comparable sales and the domain registration fee you paid.

Anyway, just ignore such people. I'd not even bother to explain them and waste more time. If someone is really interested in your domain name, he won't pass such sort of comments.

•••
I had the same here on NP request section. He checked namebio and could see how much I paid. Just parked it now on my Efty marketplace and will wait and see for the right buyer.

•••
I wouldn't waste too much time trying to educate end users. They either get it or they don't.

I would just say that the domain is their future brand, and I don't see how a brand can be worth no more than $50...

If you are dealing with an identified individual you can nonetheless tune your sales speech according to their profile. For example, ask how much they are spending every year on online/offline advertising, how much they are paying in Adwords, and why they think a domain name, which is their permanent business card on the Internet, is not worth the same kind of commitment.

I have often sold real estate related domains, and I said to some parties that paying the $600 I was asking for is a no-brainer, because they will recoup the money in just one transaction (selling or renting a home), and it's a business expense like any other for tax purposes.

If they still don't get it, you just tell them that you have no incentive to sell, because you would never be able to find a suitable replacement for the $50 they are giving you. Which is often the truth. That's why they are contacting you in the first place, they couldn't find another available domain suitable enough for their purpose.

•••
He sounds like a experienced domainer, I sometimes let go of new reg's for $50 - $200 if I think it will take a long time to sell and I'm sure the buyer is also an investor.

•••
What is the name, maybe someone here will make you a better offer, or can explain why they want it.

•••
•••
We aren't going to get rid of the domain details pages because I think they're useful, you can see comps, a trend graph, the latest screenshot, other sales of the same domain, etc. We're considering adding more info like age, maybe search volume and CPC numbers, and things of that nature too.

If you were just asking why we don't block them from being indexed by search engines, that would be counter to our goal of helping people find information on domain sales. We're not going to build a site and then go out of our way to make sure people can't find it.

There are other sites tracking sales as well, and they also have detail pages indexed in search engines. Granted they don't rank as well but the info is out there anyway.

Yes, the information is useful, but to who? I just always thought that these type of services were geared toward helping the domaining community since we're the ones using it the most and making it relevant.

Now I understand that there is no priority or concern about who is getting access to this information as long as your site is found. But, thanks for responding and making it clear. Hopefully you understand my concern and why I mention it. Would it be unreasonable for me to say that namebio.com/mydomain.com being indexed right below my domain on a Google search can have have a negative impact on how my asking price is perceived by an end-user? Are these individually indexed pages doing more harm than good in the bigger picture for domain investors, and at what cost ultimately for a couple of clicks to your site?

I realize this information can be found elsewhere, like on a blog, but I wouldn't compare those to an industry leader using automated software to gather their data, especially when I thought GoDaddy stopped publicizing aftermarket data. Other than these records being in database searches, I just don't see how individually indexed pages per domain on Google with this sensitive information is a good thing for this community.

But, maybe I'm the only one who feels this way.

•••
It isn't a couple of clicks. About 22% of our traffic is to domain details pages, half of which comes from search engines. So it would mean a pretty significant hit to our traffic which has very real consequences for us, in exchange for mitigating a perceived problem with mostly theoretical downsides.

Yes, an overwhelming majority of our audience is domain investors, and that's the only audience we really care about. But I think on balance, end users finding out that domains sell for more than reg fee is a good thing for our industry. And I doubt any serious buyer has ever walked away from a price they were happy with, after finding out what you paid, just on the principle of not wanting you to make a living.

It is very rare for an end user to find the details page because most simply aren't typing the entire domain into search engines. And even if they do it is often a plus, because without this knowledge do you really think they're assuming you paid more for the domain than you actually did? Hell no, they assume you paid reg fee. They just use this knowledge as a negotiation tactic, but if you stand firm they'll come around.

Mike Mann often sells hand registrations for five-figures in pretty short order. Is he just the luckiest man alive that he finds so many buyers that can't figure out he hand registered the domain for $8? Or is it more likely that he's just a good salesman and what he paid is irrelevant? I can give you a list two miles long of domains that re-sold for significant profit after being listed on our site and indexed in search. Are they just lucky too and this is actually a serious problem?

People make way too big of a deal about the off chance of someone finding out what they paid. I should know, we get threatened with a lawsuit every few months bringing you guys this data. Oddly enough most of the complaints come from end users who had their purchase recorded and then found it searching for their developed site. Much fewer come from domain investors because most realize that having all of this knowledge of what other people pay means sometimes others will know what you paid.

You might find this crazy, but I often tell buyers what I paid for the domain to get them up in price. The last time I used this tactic the guy was stuck at $250 and wouldn't budge for the life of him. I said "Look man, I bought this domain for $750 which was a steal, and I need to make a healthy profit." He came up to $3,000 after that and we both walked away happy. Knowing what I paid didn't hurt, it saved the sale because he thought I was into it for like $25. See what I'm saying?

So yea, I don't really think it is a fair request to lose more than 11% of our traffic overnight for something that really isn't as big of a deal as some people think it is. I would argue that it often helps more than it hurts, and on balance grows our industry as more end users learn domains have serious value.

This kind of discussion is also why I have serious reservations about adding sales under $100 as many people have requested, the complaints about $12 closeouts being listed for the world to see would be an endless nightmare.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back