IT.COM

advice Have you ever impulsively overpaid in an auction? Which was it and what happened after?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Save Breach

Top Member
Impact
Looking back into the past, I feel I have overpaid for certain acquisitions and impulsively made too high bids in certain auctions. However, this got me thinking about more experienced domainers if they have gone through any impulsively high bids on any auctions, much higher than they could possibly sell it for, or, they just over estimated the value of the domain.

I can remember one such case of @Rick Schwartz where he overpaid a huge amount for flowers.mobi ($200k) then sold it for $6.5k.

Have you ever gotten into such extreme bidding wars or, just overestimated the value of any domains while in an auction?

How was the experience and were you still able to make a profit out of it? What are the key takeaways from those experiences?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I still do, so now I proxy bid and forget about it.

Only problem is when I entered an extra 0 in a proxybid, twice and Auction platforms don't allow me to edit the bid.
One time I overpaid 4X over my budget, but that's life
Have done bigger Mistakes

•••
One time I overpaid 4X over my budget, but that's life

That sucks for sure. I would say GoDaddy auctions and most auction platforms have an (intentionally) bad UI so such errors are inevitable somehow.

Cheers

Last edited:
•••
Got bid up on many auctions that later sold for more, maybe I've been lucky in not overestimating. Still holding recalls dot us (old development project) and Sierra networks dot com at xxx cost from when I was a noob. I tend not to set a budget but a range...orn dot net was the first I paid over 1k it sold for 8k still awaiting a happy ending for no limit hold em dot com

•••
Yes once I was bidding on a nice dropped .io domain that I should not pay more that $500 to $1000 for it, but after the $1000 mark I went in a bidding war with someone.. bid after bid with 1-2 min intervals.. I was not thinking just placing bids.. I reached max bid of $4500 then there was silence for like 10 minutes, during these 10 minutes I started thinking and said to my self wt* I am doing and felt deep regret and I wished that the other bidder will place another bid.. which is exactly what happened, I was outbid again (luckly) and felt great relief! :whistle:

•••
I just won drill.us for $355. I think I might have overpaid but got caught up in bidding. Fortunately, I think I will sell it for a profit at some time in the future. :glasses:

•••
I reached max bid of $4500 then there was silence for like 10 minutes, during these 10 minutes I started thinking and said to my self wt* I am doing and felt deep regret and I wished that the other bidder will place another bid.. which is exactly what happened, I was outbid again (luckly) and felt great relief! :whistle:

Been there so many times... :)

One example a bit outside the framed question was when one guy listed a domain on a forum and said "taking offers over 1k only". Just for shits and giggles I sent him a 500 offer which he promptly accepted. I was like WTF, but had to pay up. I dropped the domain one or two years later. :xf.rolleyes:

•••
Been there so many times... :)

One example a bit outside the framed question was when one guy listed a domain on a forum and said "taking offers over 1k only". Just for shits and giggles I sent him a 500 offer which he promptly accepted. I was like WTF, but had to pay up. I dropped the domain one or two years later. :xf.rolleyes:

I imagine the impression on your face when he accepted
:ROFL:

•••
I just won drill.us for $355. I think I might have overpaid but got caught up in bidding. Fortunately, I think I will sell it for a profit at some time in the future. :glasses:
Sorry Bruhhh
drilll.png

•••
I recently paid 4-figure BIN prices for two domains because I didn't want to alert owner I was interested or get into a bidding war if my offer was pushed to public auction.

•••
•••
You were bidding?
I thought American's loves hand tools and that it might be a good buy at 50 bucks and then there were so many bidder I went fomo mode.

•••
I thought American's loves hand tools and that it might be a good buy at 50 bucks and then there were so many bidder I went fomo mode.
It's a solid name. I'm glad to have it. But I do think I paid too much. I will try to make something good happen with it.

•••
It's a solid name. I'm glad to have it. But I do think I paid too much. I will try to make something good happen with it.
If I knew it was you, I would have stopped sooner :)

•••
Back