IT.COM

.tv Has the .tv market peaked?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Has the .tv market peaked?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes

votes
    30.0%
  • No

votes
    63.8%
  • Unsure

votes
    6.3%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

I think we are seeing numerous signs to suggest the .tv may have peaked. From what I can see of it, it is fairly common for relaunched/new tlds prices peak to at the time of the major auction, when speculator interest is at its highest, and you have a whole lot of people in the market who wouldn’t normally dabble in it. I’m not sure .tv will be an exception to this rule.

The only thing to change is there is now a large number of names in the market with genuine, real value, much like other extensions. In other words it is now on a level playfield in that respect but it is still only that, "level", not tilted upwards. The exuberance has carried over into a lot of unrealistic viewpoints recently in my view,

eg

-People claim this market is just starting to warm up and will be much stronger in a year. (we’ve heard that before)
-The idea that many of these premiums will be developed (of course that will never happen and is setting the scene for later disappointment).
-People talking about “trying to keep the momentum going” and trying to organize group auctions (as though this is an engine that constantly needs top ups of fuel to prevent breakdown).
-People talking about future .tv millionaires.
-World economies seeing another shock spreading out from Europe.

If you look back a month ago that really was a market with a lot of positive elements rolled into, many factors combining that may never be repeated.

So I put this question out there, do you think the .tv market has peaked?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
usage is growing.
You sure about that ?

and since when do domainer prices determine the usefullnes of a domain for branding purposes? if anything the low market price works in favor of .tv for end use.
The aftermarket tells a lot about the popularity of an extension. When an extension is popular among end users, a secondary market naturally emerges. Likewise, infrequent sales suggest that there is little demand and transactions are scarce. Obviously some extensions have more sales than others.

•••
You sure about that ?

I think it is myself, but there is no data on it either. I would say 98% of extensions are probably growing. I would think the only ones not growing in terms of usage is extensions that are being phased outm .su etc.

The aftermarket tells a lot about the popularity of an extension. When an extension is popular among end users, a secondary market naturally emerges. Likewise, infrequent sales suggest that there is little demand and transactions are scarce. Obviously some extensions have more sales than others.

Agree, it is all related. Low prices in the aftermarket is due to domainers thinking the names do not have strong enduser potential.

•••
Finster

That was a great read and, having looked at those old photos, an 'awesome' beard.

I've heard on the grapevine that the beard has gone but your friendly 'wager' to snoop still remains.

What a shame he fails to have the cojones to take you up on it.

Oh, and yes, like Snoop says, the Tv market has certainly peaked. This is proven, no doubt, by the shameful dumping this week of names like Bremen ($10k), Bahamas ($10k) and dozens of other similar $xxxx firesales.

Take Snoop's advice - stay away from .TV - it might make your hips move!!!!!!!!!!!:yell:

•••

What matters is the BRAND and what they choose to advertise to a WORLDWIDE audience.
A redirect is something 99% of internet users don't know about. They know they are going to nba.TV to watch the matches with their pc.

•••
Oh, and yes, like Snoop says, the Tv market has certainly peaked. This is proven, no doubt, by the shameful dumping this week of names like Bremen ($10k), Bahamas ($10k) and dozens of other similar $xxxx firesales.
Such sales are welcome, because they instil hope. But they don't happen every week. You see sales like that more often in other ccTLDs.

What matters is the BRAND and what they choose to advertise to a WORLDWIDE audience.
A redirect is something 99% of internet users don't know about. They know they are going to nba.TV to watch the matches with their pc.
The very same argument was made about .mobi. In this case it looks like the .tv actually performs as a URL shortener. But I'm nonetheless willing to accept your point.

•••
The very same argument was made about .mobi. In this case it looks like the .tv actually performs as a URL shortener. But I'm nonetheless willing to accept your point.

Not sure why .mobi always gets pulled into the .tv forum, they are not in the least similar, and .mobi is not remotely in the same league, in regards to brandability.... ask 50 million people what a "mobi" is, your universal response will be, "Duhhh....ummm, I don't know." Ask those same 50 million people what a "TV" is. You will still get a squirrely look, but not for the same reason.

•••
Such sales are welcome, because they instil hope.

Or, without the 'negative spin' you could even say: 'Such sales are welcome, because they ACTUALLY prove the real demand for .tv names.'

and you can't get better proof of a society's commitment to anything than through their wallets!

But they don't happen every week.

Since the 'golden' changes made by Verisign on 18 March 2010 which completely changed the market for .TV (Not the demand, that was always there) during what week have we NOT had good sales?

I understand some people are very negative on anything that isn't .com - or anything that isn't personally making them money (ie. something, like an alternative extension that's taking away their business) and that is their decision. However, I do feel we have to see from what angle we are hearing words which suggest that good sales in .TV are somehow a flash in the pan. What next, will we hear that the sale of Business.tv for $101,000 was actually some kind of tax evasion thing?

•••
There are lot's of good sales going on every week in .tv, has been for years, but I would say 75% are NDA. How do I know that? I have spent the last 2 years on and off, e-mailing people from the Whois inquiring about category killer names in both english and spanish. Many, many times, these people tell me the same thing, quote: "Why should I sell this name to you when we paid $50,000-$150,000 for the name. There are others on Namepros who have done the same thing and stated the same.

Bascially, you just got to get out there on the "front-lines" and emailing from the whois and gather intelligence on what is happening in .tv. 75% of this world never goes to domain forums, never discloses sales, etc.

Thanks, JIm

•••
Or, without the 'negative spin' you could even say: 'Such sales are welcome, because they ACTUALLY prove the real demand for .tv names.'
Just like other non-vanity ccTLDs that continue to sell consistenly :)

Don't have to take my word for it, just look at what sells and how often.

Since the 'golden' changes made by Verisign on 18 March 2010 which completely changed the market for .TV (Not the demand, that was always there) during what week have we NOT had good sales?
Okay, let's give it one year if you will, and see what impact it will have on the market.
I'm not saying there has never been 'demand', but it's not been robust. It's all a question of how much.
I'm not expecting a surge in aftermarket sales just because of the repricing by Verisign. I could see more reseller acquisitions, therefore increased supply. And more disappointment.

---------- Post added at 10:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 AM ----------

There are lot's of good sales going on every week in .tv, has been for years, but I would say 75% are NDA.
That holds true for all extensions. No reason why sales in .tv get reported less often than others.

•••
Okay, let's give it one year if you will, and see what impact it will have on the market.

I doubt you could shut up about it for a year to save your life.

Don't have to take my word for it, just look at what sells and how often.

Thats right, you're big on .us arnt you?

So 10,000 dropped? Awful.

thats the way it goes. i'd say that about half those were crap that i shouldnt have regd i the first place. the others, well i see no need to pay yearly fees for something that no one else wants, i'm just letting them sit in limbo. few have been reregd. and some of those actually got redropped. lol.

whats truly awful is to see you wasting your life hanging around here playing cassandra. i think you did much the same on your own board and look how that wound up. what do you have to show for these years snoop? i may lose everything i own but at least i will have LIVED. i will have played and parlayed, loved and lost love, put myself and everything on the line for what i belive in. right or wrong i will been part of life. what are you part of? is this what you really want to spend your precious remaing days on, selling warnings to a bunch of people who simply do not care?

good luck to you snoop. remember- you cant take it with you. i hope you figure it out.

...or at least stop being such a downer all the time, come up with some good news for a change.

Last edited:
•••

Take Snoop's advice - stay away from .TV - it might make your hips move!!!!!!!!!!!:yell:

When I suggested the market may have peaked I'm not saying it is about to fall off a cliff. Once again this seems like more of an emotional response than anything. I think though it is fairly clear the number of high priced sales is moderating though.

---------- Post added at 04:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:13 PM ----------

Not sure why .mobi always gets pulled into the .tv forum, they are not in the least similar, and .mobi is not remotely in the same league, in regards to brandability.... ask 50 million people what a "mobi" is, your universal response will be, "Duhhh....ummm, I don't know." Ask those same 50 million people what a "TV" is. You will still get a squirrely look, but not for the same reason.

In my view that are quite comparable for a number of reasons. Not all aspects will be the same but alot of the reasons cited by speculators were similar,

eg.

-.Tv will grow massively with the video revolution.
-.Mobi will grow massively with the mobile revolution.

-There is some big companies using .tv.
-There is some big companies backing .mobi.

-Look at the big .com domainers buying into .tv.
-Look at the big .com domain that bought into .mobi.

-Video sites ideally should be on their own extension.
-Mobile sites should ideally be on their own extension.

-People who think .tv will not do well are betting that video on the internet will not grow.
-People who think .mobi will not do well are betting that mobile internet usage will not grow.

-.Com took 25 years to get where it is, give .tv another decade.
-.Com took 25 years to get where it is, give .mobi a decade.

-.TV is cool and hip, and this century, how could it not do well?
-.Mobi is cool and hip and this century, how could it not do well?

-.Those .mobi investors can't see the forest for the trees, they should invest in .tv.
-Those .tv investors can't see the forest for the trees, they should in in .mobi.

-Everyone knows what "TV" means
-Everyone has a mobile phone

-Lets set up our own forums, sites to promote .tv, this will will really help.
-Lets set up our own forums, sites to promote .mobi, this will really help

-Don't criticize .tv, I take it personally.
-Don't criticize .mobi, I take it personally.

---------- Post added at 04:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:30 PM ----------

There are lot's of good sales going on every week in .tv, has been for years, but I would say 75% are NDA. How do I know that? I have spent the last 2 years on and off, e-mailing people from the Whois inquiring about category killer names in both english and spanish. Many, many times, these people tell me the same thing, quote: "Why should I sell this name to you when we paid $50,000-$150,000 for the name. There are others on Namepros who have done the same thing and stated the same.

Bascially, you just got to get out there on the "front-lines" and emailing from the whois and gather intelligence on what is happening in .tv. 75% of this world never goes to domain forums, never discloses sales, etc.

Thanks, JIm

It is a tired argument constantly brought up in relation to new and alt tlds. Non disclosed sales are the norm in all extensions. What is report tells the tory.

---------- Post added at 04:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:34 PM ----------

thats the way it goes. i'd say that about half those were crap that i shouldnt have regd i the first place. the others, well i see no need to pay yearly fees for something that no one else wants, i'm just letting them sit in limbo. few have been reregd. and some of those actually got redropped. lol.

I'm not for a minute suggesting it was a bad decision. Best thing someone can do after making a mistake is drop or sell ASAP, as opposed to those who hold onto the dogs for years hoping time and more registration fees will cure it. I know I've got some that should have beeen dropped sooner.

•••
Wow, I missed the bremen.tv sale for $10k.

Just making a mental note to change the BIN on munich.tv - think its a much bigger city. :p

I don't get why so much time is wasted on naysayers, they don't really define your market and are unlikely to buy any domains from you, so why waste your time?

•••
...I don't get why so much time is wasted on naysayers, they don't really define your market and are unlikely to buy any domains from you, so why waste your time?

I concur...

•••
When I suggested the market may have peaked I'm not saying it is about to fall off a cliff.

Sorry Snoop, I didn't understand what 'peak' meant. I didn't realise that when you reached one there were any other directions to go other than down.

I'll contact my local dictionary editor and let him know. I'll also ask if he knows what 'backtracking' means.

I think though it is fairly clear the number of high priced sales is moderating though.

So now they are moderating. Sorry again, I thought you said they were peaking..

or are they plateauing now?

Once again this seems like more of an emotional response than anything.

I think I would rather have a genuine 'emotional' response than a very one-sided, nasty-angled response. I'd also like to see some facts rather than this subjective clap-trap you constantly spout.

Wow, I missed the bremen.tv sale for $10k.

I don't get why so much time is wasted on naysayers, they don't really define your market and are unlikely to buy any domains from you, so why waste your time?

Samit. Your two sentences explain why.

Naysayers = negativity = people posting elsewhere or not at all = no news = no real understanding of what is actually happening.

In other words, leave this place to naysayers and nobody finds out that Bremen got sold, never mind why. If it is anything, this then leaves people like you, with a vastly superior name (Munich), in exactly the same market, still trying to peddle a name at a price well below actual value. The fact you found out led you to say

Just making a mental note to change the BIN on munich.tv

OK. BMW and Mercedes-Benz are not going to stop using .tv because Snoop says so, but he likes to believe they will. He's just got to persuade everyone else first.

In the meantime Snoop personally owns over 50 .tv names. Go figure!

•••
When I suggested the market may have peaked I'm not saying it is about to fall off a cliff. Once again this seems like more of an emotional response than anything. I think though it is fairly clear the number of high priced sales is moderating though.

---------- Post added at 04:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:13 PM ----------

In my view that are quite comparable for a number of reasons. Not all aspects will be the same but alot of the reasons cited by speculators were similar,

eg.

-.Tv will grow massively with the video revolution.
-.Mobi will grow massively with the mobile revolution.

-There is some big companies using .tv.
-There is some big companies backing .mobi.

-Look at the big .com domainers buying into .tv.
-Look at the big .com domain that bought into .mobi.

-Video sites ideally should be on their own extension.
-Mobile sites should ideally be on their own extension.

-People who think .tv will not do well are betting that video on the internet will not grow.
-People who think .mobi will not do well are betting that mobile internet usage will not grow.

-.Com took 25 years to get where it is, give .tv another decade.
-.Com took 25 years to get where it is, give .mobi a decade.

-.TV is cool and hip, and this century, how could it not do well?
-.Mobi is cool and hip and this century, how could it not do well?

-.Those .mobi investors can't see the forest for the trees, they should invest in .tv.
-Those .tv investors can't see the forest for the trees, they should in in .mobi.

-Lets set up our own forums, sites to promote .tv, this will will really help.
-Lets set up our own forums, sites to promote .mobi, this will really help

-Don't criticize .tv, I take it personally.
-Don't criticize .mobi, I take it personally.

---------- Post added at 04:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:30 PM ----------

It is a tired argument constantly brought up in relation to new and alt tlds. Non disclosed sales are the norm in all extensions. What is report tells the tory.

---------- Post added at 04:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:34 PM ----------

I'm not for a minute suggesting it was a bad decision. Best thing someone can do after making a mistake is drop or sell ASAP, as opposed to those who hold onto the dogs for years hoping time and more registration fees will cure it. I know I've got some that should have beeen dropped sooner.

Snoop,

Honestly Snoop, I really think you need to get "laid" (have sex):)
Hire a "hooker", if you can't find a women yourself.

•••
I hate when people compare .TV with a shity extention like .MOBI dick.

•••
.tv may having a bright future, but there is no enstablished market yet for them. For me, dot tv are not peaked, they didn`t even start.

Compare .tv and .com is tottaly wrong. This will not help for the rise of .tv value. May be the opposite.

Monte

•••

for whatever merit the rest of your argument holds - and comparing the mindset of some investors/speculators/promoters surely has some benefit, right there is where you've actually made the point that most of us are saying.

just becasue everyone has a mobile device of some kind (or 2, or will soon, or their dog will, or whatever) doesnt mean that anyone connects on any level with the term "mobi". not intellectually and more importantly not emotionally. it means nothing and therefore has 0 built in branding power. that doesnt mean that it couldnt attain some - but its work. so you buy a .mobi and you apply resources to make it mean something to people. work. lots and lots of work.

its interesting you didnt argue that tv'ers say "everyone has a tv" which would be true, more true than everyone has a mobile. but what you did illustrate is exactly what most of us have been saying that "TV" does in fact have meaning to almost everyone on this globe. hence, when you slap something next to a .tv it carries an instant message of "hey, this is about [insert subject here] videos". of course the site could be a lot more than just videos but from an instant branding perspective people get it. you'll still have to pay/work to get the name in front of people - its not going to get much in the way of built in type-in. but once you do get it in front of a user chances are they will imediately understand the proposition, or what they think is the proposition, and be curious. maybe they'll even visit the site. after that its up to the site itself and beyond the power of the name to convert.

you've said some interesting things before about .tv, snoop. many i disagree with, strongly so, but some i do agree with, especially your admonishments to be careful speculating ought to be well considered.

i myself took a relative large (by domainer standards) speculative position and wound up letting most of it go. sure there was a lot of crap in what i grabbed, but the crashing economy was the #1 culprit. ppc income dried up and domain values fell across the board. however during that time however i had a revalation about what i wanted to do with the rest of my life and how i could use .tv names to achive many of my earliest goals - to literally make my dreams come true. the reason i belive this is the BRANDING POWER inherent in .tv. and if i havdnt so fully immersed myself in .tvness i might never have made the connection. the fundemental strategy of my plan is obvious now, at least to me, but it wasnt so obvious a couple of years ago.

even this strategy is not without risk. i have to balance the financial aspects. i'm forced to sell off old .com's every month to maintain and grow my position. its possible that i'll run out of money and capital before i can take things to the next level. i may never find backers but even if i do come up with the hundreds of millions i'll eventually need i may utterly fail on the execution. this is all stuff right out out of a future prospectus. THERE ARE RISK to everything!!!

but the one key thing in all this i am absolutely sure about is that .tv's make good BRANDS. could i be wrong, i suppose. the sun might come out blue tommorow. all this world before us might be a virtual simulation. be that as it may .tv still makes sense to me, it still carries meaning, and thats all any of us really have to go on. meanings.

np is essentially a specualtors forum. there may come a time when its safe to speculate on .tv. the economy will have to recover. my advice for now is "be very careful" dont over-extend. the economy could very well fall back into reccesion again so be patient. and if you have a dream, follow it! and if you dont have a dream find one! one with heart. with meaning.

Last edited:
•••
Nice post Fin.
Similarly, Steve Blank wrote "Why accountants don't runs startups?"

The visionary work is going to be worth a lot more --- or zero.
"Go for broke" is not necessarily a bad move at all.

•••
Sorry Snoop, I didn't understand what 'peak' meant. I didn't realise that when you reached one there were any other directions to go other than down.

I'll contact my local dictionary editor and let him know. I'll also ask if he knows what 'backtracking' means.

I said I think the market may have peaked, you have spun that into an expectation of “shameful dumping”. I think the best time to sell has likely passed, I have never suggested the market is about to fall off a cliff. It is the kind of exaggeration that we are used to. People start arguing against points that aren’t even being made by anyone.

Understand not everyone falls into either the category of over the top zealot, or prophet of doom naysayer, there is a middle ground.

So now they are moderating. Sorry again, I thought you said they were peaking..

or are they plateauing now?

I said the “number of high priced sales is moderating”. The number of high priced sales looks to be somewhat lower than a month ago to me. It is a comment about the volume of sales. Having said that I think you don’t understand the meaning of “moderating” either. It means less.

I think I would rather have a genuine 'emotional' response than a very one-sided, nasty-angled response. I'd also like to see some facts rather than this subjective clap-trap you constantly spout.

In my opinion the problem is too much emotion, I think what it lacking is sound reasoning because viewpoints are being driven mainly by the emotion of your own wallet.

Naysayers = negativity = people posting elsewhere or not at all = no news = no real understanding of what is actually happening.

The record is broken, your inability to handle any negative comments got tiresome along time ago. The above comment is a stark example of that intolerance.

In other words, leave this place to naysayers and nobody finds out that Bremen got sold, never mind why. If it is anything, this then leaves people like you, with a vastly superior name (Munich), in exactly the same market, still trying to peddle a name at a price well below actual value. The fact you found out led you to say

Not sure what you point is, the price is likely to be publicised and balanced is need, not just one side of the story. That means positive comments are welcome. That is my opinion. I don’t agree with many of those positive viewpoints but they are entitled to express their views.

OK. BMW and Mercedes-Benz are not going to stop using .tv because Snoop says so, but he likes to believe they will. He's just got to persuade everyone else first.

Please, don’t put false words into my mouth.

Snoop,
Honestly Snoop, I really think you need to get "laid" (have sex):)
Hire a "hooker", if you can't find a women yourself.

Genuine debate need here.

for whatever merit the rest of your argument holds - and comparing the mindset of some investors/speculators/promoters surely has some benefit, right there is where you've actually made the point that most of us are saying.

just becasue everyone has a mobile device of some kind (or 2, or will soon, or their dog will, or whatever) doesnt mean that anyone connects on any level with the term "mobi". not intellectually and more importantly not emotionally. it means nothing and therefore has 0 built in branding power. that doesnt mean that it couldnt attain some - but its work. so you buy a .mobi and you apply resources to make it mean something to people. work. lots and lots of work.

The key point is that neither argument really holds water. The idea that everyone has a mobile won’t secure the success of .mobi, far from it, it doesn’t mean much at all. Likewise the fact that every knows what “TV” means doesn’t mean a lot of businesses will want a .tv domain.

its interesting you didnt argue that tv'ers say "everyone has a tv" which would be true, more true than everyone has a mobile.

Because that isn’t an argument .tv speculators are making. Current levels of tv’s in the home has very little to do with the .tv extension.

but what you did illustrate is exactly what most of us have been saying that "TV" does in fact have meaning to almost everyone on this globe. hence, when you slap something next to a .tv it carries an instant message of "hey, this is about [insert subject here] videos". of course the site could be a lot more than just videos but from an instant branding perspective people get it. you'll still have to pay/work to get the name in front of people - its not going to get much in the way of built in type-in. but once you do get it in front of a user chances are they will imediately understand the proposition, or what they think is the proposition, and be curious. maybe they'll even visit the site. after that its up to the site itself and beyond the power of the name to convert.

At the end of the day the % of companies using .tv is very low. You can argue until you are blue in the face about why people should use it and how they should “get it” but at the end of the day speculators need to look at the reality of the situation.

i myself took a relative large (by domainer standards) speculative position and wound up letting most of it go. sure there was a lot of crap in what i grabbed, but the crashing economy was the #1 culprit.

We are to blame for our own successes and failures. Blaming the economy will get us nowhere.

even this strategy is not without risk. i have to balance the financial aspects. i'm forced to sell off old .com's every month to maintain and grow my position. its possible that i'll run out of money and capital before i can take things to the next level. i may never find backers but even if i do come up with the hundreds of millions i'll eventually need i may utterly fail on the execution. this is all stuff right out out of a future prospectus. THERE ARE RISK to everything!!!

I find this stunning, after losing $500,000 you suggest you say “even this strategy is not without risk”. Are you joking? Clearly your investments are chock full of risk and based on past history the chance of it not working out is high. Shwo your accounts to any type of finacial person and they will tell you that: *high risk*. See the risk for what it is rather than trying write it off.

Buying a whole lot of names that have high holding costs and little revenue is extremely high risk. It is speculating.

np is essentially a specualtors forum. there may come a time when its safe to speculate on .tv. the economy will have to recover. my advice for now is "be very careful" dont over-extend. the economy could very well fall back into reccesion again so be patient. and if you have a dream, follow it! and if you dont have a dream find one! one with heart. with meaning.

Personally I’d suggest people find a business model that works today rather than thinking up grand dreams.

Last edited:
•••
i may never find backers but even if i do come up with the hundreds of millions i'll eventually need i may utterly fail on the execution. this is all stuff right out out of a future prospectus. THERE ARE RISK to everything!!!

If I was given the hundreds of millions my future company would remove domain names as we think of them today. It is happening anyway but I would accelerate the movement. There's a significant move to a branded separate web platforms. Ultimately the domain name property will be replaced with the brand name property.

I haven't figured out how this transition will occur yet (I can see the NOW and know the END - of that I am sure); however, the parked domain will be the first to suffer as the data integration occurs. I imagine that the domain name concept will linger as a continued unique entry point; however, the focus will be on rich brands and not on "keywords". The domain will HAVE to convey the site concept/content or, at minimum, be memorable and associative.

People think I'm crazy... but I rather think everyone underestimates the reality of who and what drives the future. I don't believe organizations like the FSF are strong enough to win out, and are contrary to their goals, contributing to their own demise.

This may work out for you. It may not. I admire your bold step.

I'm so risk averse your note makes me pity me.

•••
•••
Please, don’t put false words into my mouth.

practice what you preach.

The key point is that neither argument really holds water. The idea that everyone has a mobile won’t secure the success of .mobi, far from it, it doesn’t mean much at all. Likewise the fact that every knows what “TV” means doesn’t mean a lot of businesses will want a .tv domain.

right on the first part AND right on the second, but i wasnt arguing that a lot of businesses would buy them now did i? i dont give a rats rear if they do or not. i'm buying them for my own use becasue i see the value inherent in their branding power.

At the end of the day the % of companies using .tv is very low. You can argue until you are blue in the face about why people should use it and how they should “get it” but at the end of the day speculators need to look at the reality of the situation.

you could infer from my argument - that .tv's make good brands - that yes, smart businesses should seek to put them to use. however i'm quite sure that most companies, the ones who could benefit from them the most, will not use them. not for a long time if ever.

yet another inference one could take away from the ".tv good brand" argument is that a small player (and i am still a pretty small player) could potentialy aquire a very good .tv name and put it to its best use and hopefully parlay their fortunes extraordinarily. i would not try to sell a domain name, i would try to sell the idea of the business that could be built on top of the name as a brand and look for the right partners.

We are to blame for our own successes and failures. Blaming the economy will get us nowhere.

you know as well as anyone that economic forces beyond anyone's control have effects. the best we can hope to do is accurately predict the swings and use them advantagously.

i knew the ecomomy was in trouble, that home prices were severely overboiled, but i thought that it wouldnt hurt domain values such as it did. WRONG!

Are you joking? Clearly your investments are chock full of risk and based on past history the chance of it not working out is high. Shwo your accounts to any type of finacial person and they will tell you that: *high risk*. See the risk for what it is rather than trying write it off.

i've always seen the risk of domain ownership. its 100% of what you put in. plus there are the opportunity costs, you know what i mean right?

you're forgeting somehting very important: where did i get the .5MM to spend in the first place?? other domain investments and parking income naturally. remember, i bought fairly early and i bought a lot. people back then told me i was nuts but i held to my guns and i was right. so as a matter of fact, BASED ON PAST HISTORY, I'M PROBABLY RIGHT ABOUT .TV!

looking back i dropped a lot of .com's way back when too. not everything picked up was worth it. and sometimes the finances were in fact stretched so thin that renewals simply couldnt be made. it happens. some were better off dropped and alas some i've seen resold by others for pretty good money.

Personally I’d suggest people find a business model that works today rather than thinking up grand dreams.

i didnt exatly say "think up grand dreams" - i saif "follow your dreams" or "find a dream and follow it".
can you not see the difference? you do this a lot, twist what other people say and then feed it back to make your point as if they are stupid and tyou are the smart one. you did this a lot on your old board too didnt ya?

i any case, to tell people not to follow there dreams is the saddest, most pathetic thing i can imagine hearing anyone say.

i think it comes down to philosophy of life and what we are living for. we've been over this ground before - you say "play it safe" and i say "follow your dreams". the saddest thing i can imagine happening in life is to go thru it and wind up wishing you'd done all the things you wanted but didnt.

for another thing, as we have established above, i do have a business model that works well. you may wish you could drive that porsche (and considering the way you throw your talk around here i was more than surprised to hear you say you couldnt afford one - that really blows me away! and maybe says more about the real value of your advice than you realize) but i do drive the benzo (i happen like them better than porsche). my .tv thing sits on the bedrock of this solid business model that even in the midst of the worst economic downturn in 80 years still provides me with an ample livelyhood. lucky me! funny how i only had to work myself halfway to death to make it happen.

what really bothers me about this entire conversation, and all the rest we've had, is that we know virtually nothing about you. what makes you qualified to lecture people about these things? what are your solid models? what was your solid business model behind domainstate? how do you feel about its failure and seeing the years you put into go down the toilet? was that not "risky"? is that in fact what happened? tell us this and more, lets learn about who snoop really is. maybe we'll all learn to appreciate you more.

Nice post Fin.
Similarly, Steve Blank wrote "Why accountants don't runs startups?"

The visionary work is going to be worth a lot more --- or zero.
"Go for broke" is not necessarily a bad move at all.

i like this, def worth looking thru.

LOL @ the tags.

i almost afraid to ask but where is jeff? maybe out buying .tv's?

Last edited:
•••
you guys and gals do realize that you can register idn .tv's

....... dont you ????

•••
you guys and gals do realize that you can register idn .tv's

....... dont you ????

AFAIK .TV doesn't keep a published policy stating which characters are permitted and doesn't specify a method (of the registry's choice) to prevent two homographic domains being registered to different entities.

In other words - .TV is blacklisted by major browsers. Being that the intent is to be a gTLD I'm not sure when this will, if ever, be corrected.

Not sure what this has to do with TV looking over a cliff and deciding whether to walk away or jump though...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back