IT.COM

gTLD registrations have peaked. With a rocky road ahead, how long until the crash?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

pfj

Established Member
Impact
Worrying stats from nTLDstats.com - for the last two weeks, new gTLD registrations have been almost static, and are actually starting to decline. Where previously we saw 10k, 15k, 20k new registrations per day, for a sustained period now registrations have ground to a halt. In the two weeks to date we should have expected to see an increase of almost 350,000 domains, but in fact we've seen a LOSS of 7,644.

This is something that I've expected to see happen for months as the inflated figures of various registries begin to adjust - i.e. the low/no-cost "puff" registrations are dropped. .XYZ tried to combat this earlier in the year with their huge promotional event, but you can only do a bargain basement sale once or twice before people lose confidence.

I see this as a sign that the market has reached saturation. Registries have failed to communicate the real benefits of new TLDs while businesses and individuals are failing to adopt them. The number of active sites using new gTLDs seems to be tiny compared to the number of domains registered. This causes a huge problem for investors as the whole gTLD sector risks becoming contaminated.

Christa Taylor/dotTBA's analysis of the first six months of new gTLD performance on Circle ID brought to light some stark realities: a huge number of registries are operating at a loss, and if registrations continue to fall away, the writing is on the wall for many of these registries. I'm confident that we will see a number of registries cease operations in the next 6 to 12 months.

Total number of gTLD registrations:

July 12th: 22,951,202
July 24th: 22,943,558
Increase/decrease = -7,644 (0.03% decrease)

Even with only a 1.5% increase over the period (which is less than similar periods) we should have seen around 345,000 domains being added, bringing the total to around 23,295,470 so this is a startling difference.

Comparing similar periods from previous months:

June 12th: 22,071,306
June 24th: 22,531,238
Increase/decrease = +459,932 (2.28% increase)

May 12th: 17,513,791
May 24th: 18,016,647
Increase/decrease = +502,856 (2.87% increase)

April 12th: 16,726,767
April 24th: 17,030,054
Increase/decrease: +303,287 (1.81% increase)

Compare Christmas/New Year 2015/2016 (which might be expected to be a quiet period)

December 22nd: 10,987,060
January 3rd: 11,241,742
Increase/decrease = +254,682 (2.31% increase)

Same period last year:

July 12th 2015: 6,570,729
July 24th 2015: 6,676,608
Increase/decrease: +105,879 (1.61% increase)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Sell to end users only, they prepare to spend $500-$2800.....not wholesalers, they only spend $10-$50 ....

•••
•••
Sell to end users only, they prepare to spend $500-$2800.....not wholesalers, they only spend $10-$50 ....
Fine, but why dropping them rather than showing your portfolio to a domainer or wholesaler who shows interest? Thats the part that confuses me.....

•••
Fine, but why dropping them rather than showing your portfolio to a domainer or wholesaler who shows interest? Thats the part that confuses me.....
Because they are 2% serious end users here.....they do pay $2500+......won't hurt showing out your collections....

•••
Why you care about my portfolio, nothing to do???

•••
•••
•••
•••
Usually all domainers are contacting me directly via WHOIS or PM...
No any showcases here.
That's all.

•••
I know a guy from NamePros here, he is an end user....he look for bargains here...so he bought some cheap premium names... he had bought and willing to spend a $8000 domain from here if he really wants it....

•••
I have a time for enduser-sales at least up to Winter-2017...
So no any drops or liquidation right now.

Back to the thread-theme... how long until the crash???

•••
The only predictable crash is your gTLD portfolio... Winter-2017

•••
My portfolio is always in rotation...
So just routine for me... care about your crashes...

•••
The mistake is in taking all new gTLDs as single set. Some of these gTLDs have been in operation for less than a year and others for almost two years. The individual trends the gTLDs are the ones to consider.

Regards...jmcc

The end, well said.

•••
Yes, but ~95% of all enduser-sales are going to Registries directly... regardless of their operational timeframe...

•••
Recently sold names that I consider as good or great: Entrepreneurs .club, Out .fit, Pro .media, Green .world, Realestate .property, TV .center.

I have also sold a few of these for XXXX USD per each: Plastic .cards, A .domains, Trend .media.
So you want to say that all of those are taken for standard regfee???

•••
Yes, but ~95% of all enduser-sales are going to Registries directly... regardless of their operational timeframe...

I agree moving forward with new g's is a cluster f unless you can find a diamond in the rough which is a rare find. Personally I'm more focused on early launches, before they got greedy. ;)

•••
With most gtlds they made hot english keywords premium. But for foreign languages its a different story. I got a lot of Dutch and some German names at regular prices, while the english version is premium. And I got some names where they probably forgot to make them premium.

•••
Also have a strong keywords in various major languages... but still the same no-demand...

•••
So you want to say that all of those are taken for standard regfee???

No, I wanted to say that they are good combinations. I did not check the reg fees.

However, I know that I am selling new gTLDs on a regular basis and I know that most of mine have standard reg fees. Right now, I have one in escrow for a low XXXX USD. It also has a standard renewal fee. I will post the name when this is finished.

•••
At least 75% of mentioned sales above are Premiums definitely...

•••
I have one in escrow for a low XXXX USD. It also has a standard renewal fee. I will post the name when this is finished.
.xyz?

•••
•••
The mistake is in taking all new gTLDs as single set. Some of these gTLDs have been in operation for less than a year and others for almost two years. The individual trends the gTLDs are the ones to consider.

Regards...jmcc

I totally agree.

.NET, .MIL, .GOV, .ARPA, .COM. .ORG and .EDU were all introduced in 1985. Still these have totally different uses and can not be compared. Ok, some have regulations as well.

•••
No... A very niched gTLD. I'll send you a PM.
Nice and very brandable...
Only experienced domainers are able to recognize such names...
But not a benchmark for other domains...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back