IT.COM

gTLD registrations have peaked. With a rocky road ahead, how long until the crash?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

pfj

Established Member
Impact
Worrying stats from nTLDstats.com - for the last two weeks, new gTLD registrations have been almost static, and are actually starting to decline. Where previously we saw 10k, 15k, 20k new registrations per day, for a sustained period now registrations have ground to a halt. In the two weeks to date we should have expected to see an increase of almost 350,000 domains, but in fact we've seen a LOSS of 7,644.

This is something that I've expected to see happen for months as the inflated figures of various registries begin to adjust - i.e. the low/no-cost "puff" registrations are dropped. .XYZ tried to combat this earlier in the year with their huge promotional event, but you can only do a bargain basement sale once or twice before people lose confidence.

I see this as a sign that the market has reached saturation. Registries have failed to communicate the real benefits of new TLDs while businesses and individuals are failing to adopt them. The number of active sites using new gTLDs seems to be tiny compared to the number of domains registered. This causes a huge problem for investors as the whole gTLD sector risks becoming contaminated.

Christa Taylor/dotTBA's analysis of the first six months of new gTLD performance on Circle ID brought to light some stark realities: a huge number of registries are operating at a loss, and if registrations continue to fall away, the writing is on the wall for many of these registries. I'm confident that we will see a number of registries cease operations in the next 6 to 12 months.

Total number of gTLD registrations:

July 12th: 22,951,202
July 24th: 22,943,558
Increase/decrease = -7,644 (0.03% decrease)

Even with only a 1.5% increase over the period (which is less than similar periods) we should have seen around 345,000 domains being added, bringing the total to around 23,295,470 so this is a startling difference.

Comparing similar periods from previous months:

June 12th: 22,071,306
June 24th: 22,531,238
Increase/decrease = +459,932 (2.28% increase)

May 12th: 17,513,791
May 24th: 18,016,647
Increase/decrease = +502,856 (2.87% increase)

April 12th: 16,726,767
April 24th: 17,030,054
Increase/decrease: +303,287 (1.81% increase)

Compare Christmas/New Year 2015/2016 (which might be expected to be a quiet period)

December 22nd: 10,987,060
January 3rd: 11,241,742
Increase/decrease = +254,682 (2.31% increase)

Same period last year:

July 12th 2015: 6,570,729
July 24th 2015: 6,676,608
Increase/decrease: +105,879 (1.61% increase)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
p.s. They are peaked by so-called CHIPs...
No any enduser-peaks here.

•••
2xx nTLD-domains since 2014 without any sales... just 2 low offers for whole period.
And I never buy/register the domains when potential endusers are absent... I always do my research...
But again: no serious offers for me.
Why don't You show us the top 10% of your new gTLD portfolio, maybe we can help you...

•••
Thanks, but I don't need your help... doing domaining ~8.5 years already... and can distinguish a good names myself...

•••
1 low offer on .club
And 1 low offer on LLL.work (Premium).
And that's all.

•••
Thanks, but I don't need your help... doing domaining ~8.5 years already... and can distinguish a good names myself...
Come on Jurgen, show me some of your gTLDs...
I might make you a Serious offer, you know I'm in the market for buying gTLDs... so why not show this potential buyer ?

Last edited:
•••
I sell my domains to endusers only...

•••
Premiums from Registries???
And how many of such keywords? A few K in each major language... or not???

The real success for any TLD is when even average keyword is able to sell for 4-figure...

Good ones are when the keyword is a great match with the gTLD.

Here is s good example, but with a premium renewal: https://flippa.com/6577558-e-guide

Recently sold names that I consider as good or great: Entrepreneurs .club, Out .fit, Pro .media, Green .world, Realestate .property, TV .center.

I have also sold a few of these for XXXX USD per each: Plastic .cards, A .domains, Trend .media.

•••
I take only those that match...

•••
XXXX - is wide range...
low, mid or high?

•••
•••
I don't have such no-demand issues with traditional TLDs...
So will back to them completely next year...

•••
gTLD is good for medium or long term investment....3-7 years

•••
Are you sure on 100% that after 3-7 years the financial result of your portfolio will be in significant plus or at least in plus???

•••
It takes a broader understanding of the marketplace to invest in GTLD's, first you have to understand the dominant .com space, and see what sells there to see what you can move in the GTLD space.

All the people making noise here, have 2015/2016 namepro registrations showing they just don't have the experience to really understand what they are truly talking about.

They weren't around when .mobi was launching, and sedo .mobi auction was on fire, and crashing their site, nor were they there in 2010 when .co was launching etc... we all want to register big terms, and make big returns, some get lucky, but for most it is a learning curve.

I tend to agree to say I got an XXXX offer could mean you got $1,000 offer from someone who might have been hot on the extension that week, but it most likely could not be there today. It does not define a market, you can ask the biggest, and the best domainers of some of the earlier offers they said no to, and they would take some of them back in a heart beat for .net etc... today

Regardless whatever happens with GTLD's will not be decided here, it will be the end users, and the next generation of internet users who will define what to value such names at. The 2016 releases are heavily blocked, and premium ticketed, so domainers are not even part of the equation.

Some of the newer releases don't even want domainers involved, and are writing conditions to block them.

Good luck to everyone regardless

•••

I don't have such no-demand issues with traditional TLDs...
So will back to them completely next year...
So you will drop all your 2xx new gTLDs... that's a shame, you should've accepted the 2 lowball offers
1 low offer on .club
And 1 low offer on LLL.work (Premium).
And that's all.

•••
Not all, but the most of them...
At this momemt nTLD-part of my portfolio is no more than 20%... I want to lower it to 5-10%...

•••
•••
Because I'm not a Rockefeller... I calculate my money...

•••
2xx nTLD-domains since 2014 without any sales...

You mean you "don't sell" your domains to end users only :)

If you have 2xx for 2 years with no sales you may want to consider opening up the portfolio.. I think Eric did a cartoon on a similar subject about not being open in the comic thread.

•••
Are you sure on 100% that after 3-7 years the financial result of your portfolio will be in significant plus or at least in plus???
Yes! 100million sure!! :)

•••
Yes, I ignore all resellers in 99% of cases...

•••
Because I'm not a Rockefeller... I calculate my money...
Interesting strategy. Registering domain names. Then refusing offers from anyone who is not an end-user and then dropping the names because you didnt sell them.

•••
Yes, I refuse all 2-figure offers...

•••
Use my gut feeling......if there is a sign of acceleration and momentum of usage by end of next year......

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back