IT.COM

Googlenet to kill Domaining?!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I think all of you by now have heard of the new Google 1gb fibre network.

Robert X. Cringely defends this "new internet", delivered by Google would probably be FREE supported by ads and interstitials and a pro ad version (ad free) would be available for a price.

Now I ask you: How will domains work on this "new Internet"?

Will the only supported browser (Chrome) still have an url bar?!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
It has nothing to do with domains or the internet in general. All it will be is a super fast connection

•••
Isn't this an Internet splitting and thus a very bad news to us?

•••
Third thread this week about killing domaining. I declare domaining dead. Everyone start selling asap. Run for the hills.

•••
There should be a sticky added for "Before you post a 'Will _____ kill domaining?' thread."

It seems like that would be the best solution. Of course, that solution does run the risk of killing domaining. So . . .

•••
only thing i see killing domains in the future is 3d virtual worlds instead of websites, ps4's version of home? then again google is going through shops with street view...

Last edited:
•••
only thing i see killing domains in the future is 3d virtual worlds instead of websites, ps4's version of home? then again google is going through shops with street view...

I guess you missed Second Life, huh? It didn't kill domaining.

And this last generation of consoles largely proved the disconnect between video game systems and the broader internet. People seem to like having their toys in separate boxes.

Domain names are one of those things that always feels like there's a better way, and yet we keep coming back to it because it works.

It's like the PS/2 keyboard. There was a period when everyone was convinced it was done for because of USB. But, many years later, it's easier to find an AT/XT keyboard than a USB keyboard.

Some solutions just work. Domain names are one of them.

•••
I guess you missed Second Life, huh? It didn't kill domaining.

And this last generation of consoles largely proved the disconnect between video game systems and the broader internet. People seem to like having their toys in separate boxes.

Domain names are one of those things that always feels like there's a better way, and yet we keep coming back to it because it works.

It's like the PS/2 keyboard. There was a period when everyone was convinced it was done for because of USB. But, many years later, it's easier to find an AT/XT keyboard than a USB keyboard.

Some solutions just work. Domain names are one of them.

I can't remember the last time I saw a keyboard that wasn't USB... so does that mean... Oh no! Domaining really is dying!

:'(

•••
yea its dying, i will buy your good names for $10 each , pm me

•••
Third thread this week about killing domaining. I declare domaining dead. Everyone start selling asap. Run for the hills.

:laugh:

Like gafadi mentioned, "Sell me your domains for $10 each".

I got a better deal.

How about just handing over your entire stash to me! :tu: ?

On a serious note to the thread opener.

You, yourself just mentioned in your own post, "google's 1GB Fiber network".

I am aware of the kind of obnoxious internet speeds that are there now, but heck - did you stop and think, in countries like Pakistan and Bangladesh, there are internet speeds as low as 32 KBPS and when you compare it to a Japan or the UK - the speeds are LOT, LOT higher there.

What is common to both situations is their ability to access domains.

Bring in google, what changes ?

Google may be a giant - agreed. But the next time you want to search for a new topic, you still go to a wikipedia.com

No google can change that.

•••

ahahahaha yeah I agree these killing domaning threads are getting a bit out of hand, I doubt this will as I doubt ipad will nor facebook and all the other things that have been suggested.

•••
Cool 1gb!!!!

Last edited:
•••
I am aware of the kind of obnoxious internet speeds that are there now, but heck - did you stop and think, in countries like Pakistan and Bangladesh, there are internet speeds as low as 32 KBPS and when you compare it to a Japan or the UK - the speeds are LOT, LOT higher there.

What is common to both situations is their ability to access domains.

So, you like IDN domains?!

•••
I can't remember the last time I saw a keyboard that wasn't USB... so does that mean... Oh no! Domaining really is dying!

Hmmm . . . I guess. I rarely see USB keyboards. Go figure.

•••
So, you like IDN domains?!

:-/

I didn't mention IDN domains anywhere ?

Did you comprehend whatever I wrote in my post there ?

•••
•••
Google is making money with their Adsense for Domains. Duh.

•••
The only one who is killing domaining are the handlers themselves..

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back