Dynadot

question Will Google Kill Domain Parking?

NameSilo
Watch

brad05

Established Member
Impact
Google is supposed to release an ad blocker for Chrome, starting from next year:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/201...locker-to-all-versions-of-chrome-web-browser/

Will this pretty much kill domain parking? Current ad blockers block Sedo/related domain parking by now, because the whole page is filled by ads, and pretty sure Chrome will too. Considering Chrome market share is 60% (and growing), and Firefox is at 13% (let's say 50%, if not more of Firefox users use ad blockers) + other browsers, that means at least 70% of visitors will no longer see parking ads.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Never been much of a parker as increasing domain sales volume trumps parking earnings for me. Honestly looking at stats from 2003 and 2017 I've already considered it dead for years now. My own sales pages with my own sites or affiliate ads linked on them has produced more than parking anyway. My domain traffic promotes my own site links across hundreds of domains instead of taking a mystery percentage with 2 middlemen involved Google/Parking Company.

•••
Article from May, but:

"and Google would kill its income if it started blocking Google ads. Of course, Google won't block Google ads. Instead, according to the report, Chrome will target "unacceptable ads" as defined by the Coalition for Better Ads. The Coalition for Better Ads, which counts Google and Facebook among its members, has a page of "least preferred ad experiences" up on its website. This page calls out pop-ups, autoplaying video ads with sound, interstitial ads with countdowns, and large "sticky" ads as "below the threshold of consumer acceptability."

•••
Article from May, but:

"and Google would kill its income if it started blocking Google ads. Of course, Google won't block Google ads. Instead, according to the report, Chrome will target "unacceptable ads" as defined by the Coalition for Better Ads. The Coalition for Better Ads, which counts Google and Facebook among its members, has a page of "least preferred ad experiences" up on its website. This page calls out pop-ups, autoplaying video ads with sound, interstitial ads with countdowns, and large "sticky" ads as "below the threshold of consumer acceptability."

Not quite true. They said they will even block their own ads, if the page has too much ads & the ads are intrusive. So there will be separate Chrome filters which will analyze the page for ads vs. various other criteria to determine if ads should be blocked.

•••
That would definitely not block parked domain ads. Google would only block obstrusive ads and/or possibly their own ads if some publisher is using it in a way that is extra annoying and hurts the user experience. That would not entail domain parking.

Most current ad blockers block all Google ads, unless you pay them. But that's a whole seperate topic. Google blocker will not block Google ads unless there is reason to block a single publisher site for obtrusive ads/behaviour.

If anything this will actually help parked domains in the long run. The reason for that is because many users will stop seeking third party ad blockers (which block Google ads / parked domains) and instead rely on Google's ad blocker. (which will not).

•••
Ten domains - 0.01 EUR in 12 months.. my parking has never been alive :xf.smile:

•••
Suffice it to say, Google is not going to kill its source of revenue.

•••
That would definitely not block parked domain ads. Google would only block obstrusive ads and/or possibly their own ads if some publisher is using it in a way that is extra annoying and hurts the user experience. That would not entail domain parking.

Most current ad blockers block all Google ads, unless you pay them. But that's a whole seperate topic. Google blocker will not block Google ads unless there is reason to block a single publisher site for obtrusive ads/behaviour.

If anything this will actually help parked domains in the long run. The reason for that is because many users will stop seeking third party ad blockers (which block Google ads / parked domains) and instead rely on Google's ad blocker. (which will not).

Bodis and some others are already blocked ENTIRELY by uBlock Origin + AdBlock plus. This is a very risky assumption, I'd err on the site that Google will lean in to do what these ad blockers already do.

Google wants sites with actual useful content and not 100% ads. They already have a rule for their AdSense publishers that if the ads are similar to the content, the publishers get banned. Suffice to say, these parking pages not only appear to not mark ads clearly as ads, but they provide no additional useful content. Google had AdSense for domains which they retired in 2012 and at the moment you aren't allowed to put AdSense ads on a "parked" page.

I think past behavior is a pretty good predictor of future behavior and so far Google past behavior has been that they a) retired adsense for parking b) Don't allow AdSense ads on parking pages and also c) Most ad blockers show parked domain pages as BLANK.

Suffice to say, I'd assume with pretty high certainty that Google WILL block ads for parking pages, by default.

•••
Google knows what a parked page is - they have different rules for parked pages than for adsense. Parking providers need to qualify and meet certain conditions to get access to the parking feed.
Advertisers can opt out of having their ads displayed on parked pages - and often do..

•••
Bodis and some others are already blocked ENTIRELY by uBlock Origin + AdBlock plus.

This is true. I only ever see a blank white page if it's parked with Bodis or Sedo.

•••
I'd say that by introducing own adblocker google is trying to save their ads business in general and parked domains ads in particular. Indeed, alternate blockers are doing their job very well and, at least in stict mode without "not intrusive" ads, are blocking all google ads together with (bodis case) "for sale" link. Unfortunately, bodis is not willing to forward such visitors directly to forsale link destination.

Now, this attempt by google to improve will unlikely work for parked domains. They already killed domain parking by:

- Irrational assignation of "faillisted" domain status. Some complaint from their advertiser like "traffic does not convert" may be a reason sometimes, but what if the advertiser does not provide a good and useful product?

- Messing up with adult and not adult status. I remember for example a lot of domains related to "photo" or "photography" from my portfolio became adult earlier this year, and started showing adult ads

- Not doing minimal quality checks on thier advertisers. I've seen for example ads for known fake dating websites shown on my parked domains, adult or not. Fake dating means that a victim does not receive any real contacts after they register

- Introducing behavioral advertising where I (before installing adblocker which is a life saver) searched for something related to htaccess website config (when I developed own forsale pages to eliminate parking with forsale links, btw), ended up at a help article posted on some webhosting company, and later received ads for this webhosting company on almost all other websites who were showing google ads, parking domains including. Sorry google, but I already visited this webhosting company and well aware that they exist

- Not allowing parking companies to optimize pages, provide more or less unique look and better content or extra content, demanding "exclusivity" and all sorts of similar things

- Taking too high %%% of what advertisers paid them. From each $100 they received, rumors are that an average parking company is paid $40-$50 in the best case, and what we the domainers recieve? $20-$25? It is 20%-25% or less of what an advertiser spent.

- Removing 1-click ads which in some cases happened to show at least some relevant ads even with behavioral advertising. More hard for a visitor to reach their desired content, especially with auto-generated 2-click links being just nonsense in many cases.

One of the reasons of google doing what they did was of course lack of competition, there was a competing yahoo ads channel at some point of time which was also used on parked domains, but it became irrelevant.

Endusers will block ads, and google ads especially, as they are of no use to them, whether on parked domains or elsewhere. Will it become more hard (of possible at all) to block google ads using google owned adblocker? Who knows. Fortunately, there are many alternate solutions.

Sorry, but google based parking is almost dead. It may be used on a number of not for sale domains if a domainer has such domains though, but if the domain is also for sale - a custom forsale lander without google ads will now bring more $$$ to a domainer, due to better sales. (vs parked ads with a small for sale link which is the only link google allows)

Solution? I do not see any. It may be the time for parking companies to stop using google and start providing alternate pages, such as with aggregated links by Commission Junction for North American traffic, EU-based similar ad networks for European traffic, something else for raw worldwide traffic, no ppc (ppc is dead by default) but with pps or revshare instead. Or, all parking companies will have to close their doors, and soon.

Last edited:
•••
Hope not! I just bought some traffic domains to park!

•••
Common sense dictates that this wouldn’t block parked PPC links, and the description itself:

This page calls out pop-ups, autoplaying video ads with sound, interstitial ads with countdowns, and large "sticky" ads as "below the threshold of consumer acceptability."

confirms this thinking.

I mean it would have to prevent someone literally from landing on your domain URL if it contained PPC links - and that’s not anything like what the article is alluding to.

Unfortunately - THAT type of blockage occurs at the ISP level, and is already an issue, although fortunately with very few ISPs:

https://www.namepros.com/threads/my-domain-name-is-blacklisted-by-mcafee.1048083/#post-6418563

https://www.namepros.com/threads/one-disadvantage-of-domain-hacks.1050349/#post-6438418

https://www.namepros.com/threads/one-disadvantage-of-domain-hacks.1050349/#post-6438425

https://www.namepros.com/threads/do...ng-next-big-thing.1038007/page-2#post-6368902

https://www.namepros.com/threads/do...ng-them-for-parking-ppc.1025727/#post-6242193

(If you don't have time to read all those linked posts, basically - if you have adult PPC or in some cases just because you have too many PPC and no content, some ISPs will prevent their subscribers from even landing on / viewing your page.)

Last edited:
•••
Irrational assignation of "faillisted" domain status. Some complaint from their advertiser like "traffic does not convert" may be a reason sometimes, but what if the advertiser does not provide a good and useful product?

They wouldn't faillist based on an isolated complaint. More likely if traffic from a particular domain seems unusually poor across the board compared to others in its niche...

As for behavioral ads, you can opt out of that if you choose. They work well for many advertisers as long as they're configured properly.

•••
You do know that Google is the one that usually feeds most parked page ads?
That Google has its own domain parking program?

•••
The browser is the content last mile.

•••
Back