Domain Empire

news Google uses a .XYZ for their new parent company Alphabet - the Internet melts

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Multiple news outlets are reporting that "Google" has decided to change their parent company name to "Alphabet" and has launched it on the domain ABC.XYZ.

I have seen many companies that operate multiple businesses under one umbrella and also use terrible domains without ever intending to own the exact match .COM - but for Google, this move is surprising.

It’s a win for Daniel Negari and selling one of the few domains that the .XYZ registry is good for: the alphabet. The other being abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvw.xyz

I think Google summed it up by saying, "[we make] smaller bets in areas that might seem very speculative or even strange when compared to our current businesses.”

As this story unravels, I’m sure Mr. Negari will have a larger role to play within Alphabet, possibly even heading their .google extension when Google decides that we should all be using a .google instead of .COM.

Speculation for a speculative move.

From the announcement G is for Google:
What is Alphabet? Alphabet is mostly a collection of companies. The largest of which, of course, is Google . . . companies that are pretty far afield of our main Internet products [will be] contained in Alphabet instead.
Alphabet Inc. will replace Google Inc. as the publicly-traded entity and all shares of Google will automatically convert into the same number of shares of Alphabet, with all of the same rights. Google will become a wholly-owned subsidiary of Alphabet. Our two classes of shares will continue to trade on Nasdaq as GOOGL and GOOG.
Don’t worry, we’re still getting used to the name too!

Your thoughts?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You make a good point, I can think of Kleenex, Coke, and others as well, but I think this reinforces my point, becoming a generic brand strengthens the product type, in this case .COM. No one "googles" a .XYZ.

Do people 'google' a .com? If they already know the web address its going straight into their browser bar?

•••
Do people 'google' a .com? If they already know the web address its going straight into their browser bar?

They do. I get traffic to a couple of my sites by people Googling whatever.whatever. Doesn't make much sense but it does happen.

•••
abc.xyz
Global Rank
globe-sm.d0f76e3d37b3db1f5de9a369b65ac33c.jpg

abc.com
Global Rank

alphabet.xyz

Global Rank
-

alphabet.com

Global Rank

•••
Wait! What?

abcxyz.com
Global Rank

abcxyzz.png

It means that Internet users type 'abcxyz.com' instead of 'abc.xyz'....

Last edited:
•••
I won't be surprised if they ditch the domain later on, especially as their own extensions go live.
Then the cheerleaders will scramble to downplay the withdrawal of the *only* prominent .xyz end user.

•••
Why don't they buy....

abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz.com

•••
Mind you! Big G can take any of these and rank them withing shortest possible time but it does not have anything to do with domainers who is willing to sell his domains

abc.xyz
Global Rank

abc.com
Global Rank

alphabet.xyz

Global Rank
-

alphabet.com

Global Rank

•••
I agree with @kohsamui on page 1 of this already long thread. I think Alphabet, at a stroke, have increased the validity of .xyz, a thousand fold. Is it a great extension? Well it's potential has increased overnight. Because it kinda proves what Negari has been saying all along, that it is a truely generic gTLD. But I still don't like it.

•••
Why don't they buy....

abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz.com
The domain is taken since 1999 haha.
OH MY GOSH! .net/.org/.info/.biz/.tel/.name/.mobi/.xxx/.club/.company/.rocks/.me/.pw/.tv/.eu are taken!
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvw.xyz is taken too.

abc.xyz (abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz) it's just a domain-hack.

•••
•••
•••
•••
Has anybody thought that they purposely chose the unfamiliar extension (abc.xyz). I believe they are saying - people, do not pay attention to 'Alphabet' or bother going to the website, just look out for our products. Imagine, how much hype Alphabet would have got and taken attention from its products/product websites if they had Alphabet.com site and had content more than a landing page. They have some of the strongest brands and it would be stupid to dilute those. Alphabet is not a brand and will never be a brand. It is just a holding company. It will be just a landing page site just like many companies have offices in Delaware or Ireland. You never call a Delaware or Ireland number.

Why this particular name 'abc.xyz' - what other name would have fit better for what they are trying to say/conveny. We are all domainers?

Last edited:
•••
Yup, that's what is called a type-in. 99.99% percent at .COMs.
As far as searches, go ahead and search for any term, most results are from .COMs.
The only party that benefits from gTLDs are the registry and the registrars.

•••
Somebody suggested they paid six figures for abc.xyz. they could have bought alphabet.com that. Even for 7 figures, that's just a rounding error for Google.

•••
Yup, that's what is called a type-in. 99.99% percent at .COMs.
As far as searches, go ahead and search for any term, most results are from .COMs.
The only party that benefits from gTLDs are the registry and the registrars.

My point is that if somebody wants to visit ebay..... they are likely to either search 'ebay', or type 'ebay.com' into their browser bar (type in), or even just click on one of those most visited things on chrome, the people who actually type 'ebay.com' into google search will surely be a small minority.

As for searching for any term and calculating how many results are .com, I'd require you to place additional conditions on that..... if I type 'laptop' there are 484m results, how do you propose I calculate how many of those 484m results are from a .com?

I looked at the first 10 pages of results though, .com came in 2nd place. Can you guess what came 1st? B-)

•••
Somebody suggested they paid six figures for abc.xyz. they could have bought alphabet.com that.

I bet you six figures that they couldn't.

•••
As for searching for any term and calculating how many results are .com, I'd require you to place additional conditions on that..... if I type 'laptop' there are 484m results, how do you propose I calculate how many of those 484m results are from a .com?

I looked at the first 10 pages of results though, .com came in 2nd place. Can you guess what came 1st? B-)

What are you saying?

I went thru the first 10 pages for the search laptop:

.com - 89
.edu - 4
.org - 4 - 2 of those wikipedia pages, another one my brother manages, good job bro
.ca - 1
.tv - 1
.io - 1

I watched the video, .com is over, haha, he's just 117 million regs behind. Those $1 domains and freebies, renewal time eventually comes.

•••
What are you saying?

I went thru the first 10 pages for the search laptop:

.com - 89
.edu - 4
.org - 4 - 2 of those wikipedia pages, another one my brother manages, good job bro
.ca - 1
.tv - 1
.io - 1

I watched the video, .com is over, haha, he's just 117 million regs behind. Those $1 domains and freebies, renewal time eventually comes.

What I said is that less than 50% of mine were .com, can you guess why?

•••
I bet you six figures that they couldn't.

You cut short my comment. I did suggest that even at 7 figures, it would still be a rounding error for Google.

•••
What I said is that less than 50% of mine were .com, can you guess why?

Have no idea, from some other country and getting country codes? My search is from US.

•••
You cut short my comment. I did suggest that even at 7 figures, it would still be a rounding error for Google.

What I mean is that Google will have no chance of obtaining Alphabet.com from their current owners, whether at 6 figures or 7 figures, a hedge fund has already tried and failed. The owners are BMW and they aren't selling.

•••
•••
Do you know what I find interesting about:

.com - 89
.edu - 4
.ca - 1
.tv - 1
.io - 1

What do you see missing? Where are the .nets at? A couple of years ago I made a post going thru the top 500 Alexa and top 500 online merchants. I was shocked myself, didn't see many .nets showing up. Even tho .net is like 12% of .com regs, you don't see that same percentage with development. Lack of development, not much of a chance of the public seeing these new extensions.

•••
If Android virtual keyboard replace .COM by .XYZ, the world will change :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back