IT.COM

news Google uses a .XYZ for their new parent company Alphabet - the Internet melts

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Multiple news outlets are reporting that "Google" has decided to change their parent company name to "Alphabet" and has launched it on the domain ABC.XYZ.

I have seen many companies that operate multiple businesses under one umbrella and also use terrible domains without ever intending to own the exact match .COM - but for Google, this move is surprising.

It’s a win for Daniel Negari and selling one of the few domains that the .XYZ registry is good for: the alphabet. The other being abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvw.xyz

I think Google summed it up by saying, "[we make] smaller bets in areas that might seem very speculative or even strange when compared to our current businesses.”

As this story unravels, I’m sure Mr. Negari will have a larger role to play within Alphabet, possibly even heading their .google extension when Google decides that we should all be using a .google instead of .COM.

Speculation for a speculative move.

From the announcement G is for Google:
What is Alphabet? Alphabet is mostly a collection of companies. The largest of which, of course, is Google . . . companies that are pretty far afield of our main Internet products [will be] contained in Alphabet instead.
Alphabet Inc. will replace Google Inc. as the publicly-traded entity and all shares of Google will automatically convert into the same number of shares of Alphabet, with all of the same rights. Google will become a wholly-owned subsidiary of Alphabet. Our two classes of shares will continue to trade on Nasdaq as GOOGL and GOOG.
Don’t worry, we’re still getting used to the name too!

Your thoughts?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
hubris.xyz is taken as well...

•••
•••
Some TLDs are timeless or have indestructible meanings.. .com, .org, .club, .work, etc.

Other TLDs are fads.. .cc, .mobi, .xyz

The 15 minutes I believe is up for .xyz but investors will continue buying for a little bit longer in thoughts that the value will continue to increase more.

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
I was just going to post about this. This is actually a big deal for new gtld investors not just .xyz This is probably one of the best exposure gtlds can get coming from the giant Google... I mean Alphabet. A renown tech company using something other then .com? Even though it's for their corporate umbrella Alphabet @ abc.xyz and not Google per se, the news is everywhere! I still think .xyz is a horrible extension and still won't be touching it.

Like I said we are already at the stage of success with GTLDs just no one saw it coming this fast. The whole XYZ acquisition just started a wildfire for victory ... I have a bunch if anybody's interested. Premium
.properties & .care and even .surgery ...

•••
Remember these tech companies are not just innovative based, they also are working together with huge share holders and those that demand the highest roi in the fastest amount of time...this is both a financial decision as well as a method for branding and getting people accustomized to unique domain name extensions. Or maybe it's just what they said, a holdings entity. Google, has just made .XYZ their official domain for their holding entity...According to Page’s post, Alphabet will eventually report the earnings of Google separate from the other spinoff companies. According to the company’s SEC filing, Alphabet will eventually replace Google as the publicly traded company on the Nasdaq stock exchange, and all shares of Google will convert to shares of Alphabet. Company shares will continue to trade on the Nasdaq under the same GOOGL and GOOG ticker symbols.

http://www.wired.com/2015/08/new-company-called-alphabet-owns-google/

•••
•••
Phantasmagoria was a cool ass pc game, not the best, but good. Your oldschool! :)

•••
World's most powerful internet company are using a .XYZ for their parent company and this will not be a boost for .XYZ and gTLDs in general?

Of course it will. This is just the beginning.
Nobody needs .xyz

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back