Dynadot

news Google uses a .XYZ for their new parent company Alphabet - the Internet melts

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Multiple news outlets are reporting that "Google" has decided to change their parent company name to "Alphabet" and has launched it on the domain ABC.XYZ.

I have seen many companies that operate multiple businesses under one umbrella and also use terrible domains without ever intending to own the exact match .COM - but for Google, this move is surprising.

It’s a win for Daniel Negari and selling one of the few domains that the .XYZ registry is good for: the alphabet. The other being abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvw.xyz

I think Google summed it up by saying, "[we make] smaller bets in areas that might seem very speculative or even strange when compared to our current businesses.”

As this story unravels, I’m sure Mr. Negari will have a larger role to play within Alphabet, possibly even heading their .google extension when Google decides that we should all be using a .google instead of .COM.

Speculation for a speculative move.

From the announcement G is for Google:
What is Alphabet? Alphabet is mostly a collection of companies. The largest of which, of course, is Google . . . companies that are pretty far afield of our main Internet products [will be] contained in Alphabet instead.
Alphabet Inc. will replace Google Inc. as the publicly-traded entity and all shares of Google will automatically convert into the same number of shares of Alphabet, with all of the same rights. Google will become a wholly-owned subsidiary of Alphabet. Our two classes of shares will continue to trade on Nasdaq as GOOGL and GOOG.
Don’t worry, we’re still getting used to the name too!

Your thoughts?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
One can hear the steadfast .com domainer hardliners and .xyz haters 'cries and sighs' already.

Your thoughts?
There will now be an explosion of new .xyz domains registered! And the .xyz and new gTLD hater threads..will be on overdrive.

•••
As this story unravels, I’m sure Mr. Negari will have a larger role to play within Alphabet, possibly even heading their .google extension when Google decides that we should all be using a .google instead of .COM.

Then Yahoo decides that we should using a .yahoo instead of .COM
Also Bing decide .bing LOL

•••
One can hear the steadfast .com domainer hardliners and .xyz haters 'cries and sighs' already.

There will now be an explosion of new .xyz domains registered! And the .xyz and new gTLD hater threads..will be on overdrive.

I was just going to post about this. This is actually a big deal for new gtld investors not just .xyz This is probably one of the best exposure gtlds can get coming from the giant Google... I mean Alphabet. A renown tech company using something other then .com? Even though it's for their corporate umbrella Alphabet @ abc.xyz and not Google per se, the news is everywhere! I still think .xyz is a horrible extension and still won't be touching it.

•••
News now yes but will fade in time and no one will care.

•••
Then Yahoo decides that we should using a .yahoo instead of .COM
Also Bing decide .bing LOL

Indeed, it's a slippery slope... and maybe not a risk they take in the end; but the .XYZ move is strange, other than just being quirky and starting a buzz.

Right now, there is no greater way to start a buzz than being a big company and to use a new extension, or to pay a hefty sum for a new extension.

The owners of Alphabet.com just won; no matter what they do with it from here on out.

I still dislike .xyz, just because it takes three syllables to say it and it just feels clunky. I think Google is using this just as a new extension is supposed to be used; for a disposable promotion.

... and upon further reading after I made that statement, here is what Domain News Wire has to say about it:

I don’t think ABC.xyz will be used much since it’s just the holding company’s name, but it could possibly become the email address for some employees. It will also likely be used for all investor information and announcements in the future."

•••
This is all about Google trying to distant the real money Search from their driverless cars types of ventures. Its nerdy techy cool to do it with a dot xyz. Lets see if the other ventures that this is all about uses a xyz domain.

•••
•••
Great news!

Both for .XYZ / Negari but also for the new gTLDs in general.

I had a plan to lower the prices on my own .XYZ. but will no longer do so. I will watch the .XYZ auctions on NameJet more closely now.

•••
My thoughts, in order, as they hit me:
  • What day is it? Is it April 1st? This must be some kind of prank.
  • Alphabet blocks come to mind. Is this for children?
  • What, what, what?! They used a .XYZ? Okay, this must be a joke.
  • How does one of the richest companies in the world decide to use a .XYZ domain?
  • The domain abc.xyz has 7 syllables and takes forever to say aloud.
  • It looks like random letters if you glance at it quickly.
  • Why didn't they use one of their own new gTLDs? That would make more sense.
  • The domain abc.xyz is probably the best domain name in the entire .XYZ space.
  • I wonder what abc.com (American Broadcasting Company) thinks about this domain?
  • Millions of dollars are going to be invested into .XYZ domains now.
  • Millions of dollars are going to be lost by investing into .XYZ domains.
  • Whoa, they also announced a new CEO of Google, Sundar Pichai, in their blog post. Sneaky!
  • Google, I still love you.
That was a crazy mixture of thoughts and emotions!

•••
My first thought was why didn't they use:

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVW.xyz

lol

•••
Larry Page says on abc.xyz: "Don’t worry, we’re still getting used to the name too!"

•••
Just read this on their blog, I bet its an accounting thing but we will see how it works out.

•••
There's an Easter egg in Larry Page's letter that links to hooli.xyz

I'm going now to register a ton of .xyz names!

•••
•••
I bow down to the owner of ABC.WTF as funniest redirect of the year.

•••
•••
•••
People are getting excited over a ........ one page parent company url? Another thread started by somebody who said - "Google is now abc.xyz" No, Google is still Google. "What is Alphabet? Alphabet is mostly a collection of companies. The largest of which, of course, is Google."

Have you heard of Bath & Body Works or Victoria's Secret? Many have. Do you know they have a parent company? Would you know it's name without searching? Would you know they changed the name from Limited Brands to L Brands in 2013? Do you think people go to lb.com? No, they go to bathandbodyworks.com, victoriassecret.com and the other sites they have.

This isn't a site people, consumers, will be visiting, using, bookmarking etc.

"The goal isn’t to make Alphabet a consumer brand, Page said."

Somebody posted this is somehow going to help other new gtlds as well? What? There is nothing there for the normal person to see.

Also, what's up with:

our drone delivery effort<a href="http://www.hooli.xyz/" target="_blank" class="hidden-link">

Ah, easter egg joke.

Last edited:
•••
World's most powerful internet company are using a .XYZ for their parent company and this will not be a boost for .XYZ and gTLDs in general?

Of course it will. This is just the beginning.

•••
World's most powerful internet company are using a .XYZ for their parent company and this will not be a boost for .XYZ and gTLDs in general?

Of course it will. This is just the beginning.

No, let me try bigger letters

"The goal isn’t to make Alphabet a consumer brand, Page said."

It'll be in the news for a few days, then that's it. Not a site people will be visiting, for what?

Alphabet.com isn't resolving for me right now, as expected since people are probably trying to check it out.

Data will show...
What does that even mean? We know their other sites, the ones people actually visit, are still on .coms from what I can see. You need exposure, public penetration, something for users/consumers, a company url doesn't do that. I understand there is a desperation for something to catch on but it needs to be consumer oriented.

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
Back