Domain Empire

news Google uses a .XYZ for their new parent company Alphabet - the Internet melts

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Multiple news outlets are reporting that "Google" has decided to change their parent company name to "Alphabet" and has launched it on the domain ABC.XYZ.

I have seen many companies that operate multiple businesses under one umbrella and also use terrible domains without ever intending to own the exact match .COM - but for Google, this move is surprising.

It’s a win for Daniel Negari and selling one of the few domains that the .XYZ registry is good for: the alphabet. The other being abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvw.xyz

I think Google summed it up by saying, "[we make] smaller bets in areas that might seem very speculative or even strange when compared to our current businesses.”

As this story unravels, I’m sure Mr. Negari will have a larger role to play within Alphabet, possibly even heading their .google extension when Google decides that we should all be using a .google instead of .COM.

Speculation for a speculative move.

From the announcement G is for Google:
What is Alphabet? Alphabet is mostly a collection of companies. The largest of which, of course, is Google . . . companies that are pretty far afield of our main Internet products [will be] contained in Alphabet instead.
Alphabet Inc. will replace Google Inc. as the publicly-traded entity and all shares of Google will automatically convert into the same number of shares of Alphabet, with all of the same rights. Google will become a wholly-owned subsidiary of Alphabet. Our two classes of shares will continue to trade on Nasdaq as GOOGL and GOOG.
Don’t worry, we’re still getting used to the name too!

Your thoughts?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Google has the ability to help people understand the new gTLDs, but it's a matter of whether they want to do it and when.

I hope they do, but I don't think that abc.xyz is going to make much of a difference in the grand scheme of things. More likely, they'd switch Google.com (and maybe their other products) to one of their new gTLDs like search.google, youtube.google, gmail.google, or something.

We're probably a long way away from that, but who knows, it's Google!

•••
How about reading, do they have enough money to teach people that?

"The goal isn’t to make Alphabet a consumer brand, Page said."

They have no reason to get people to learn abc.xyz because of all the confusion that comes with it. And, there is nothing there for the people.

Did they have enough money for people to understand Buzz or Froogle, or Google Plus which is falling apart or their failed affiliate network etc. Nope.

You crack me up JB, the sky could really be falling and you'd say it wasn't. Do you actually think the site will remain as is?

Quote, I did read: "Alphabet Inc. will replace Google Inc. as the publicly-traded entity and all shares of Google will automatically convert into the same number of shares of Alphabet, with all of the same rights."

This will be their new investor site, ABC.XYZ but not replacing Google search.

This is good news for .xyz, I knew when I read the headlines tonight you'd be in here being Debbie Downer.

You've posted over and over large corporations would never use new gTLDS, especially .xyz, you've been proven wrong. Google is a giant, period.

Take three asprins and call me in the morning. :xf.smile:

•••
Actually, Google.com is still using Google.com. If I went to Google.com and it forwarded to abc.xyz, then, like I said, it would be something. I also pointed out in previous posts the difference between companies using their .brand and new gtlds that you guys can register, there is a difference. That Barclays is using their brand, what does that have to do with you and the extensions you've wasted money on?

You and some others still haven't explained, how in the world is this supposed to help "other new gtlds"? Some parent site that the public will probably never visit, will help .click, .blue, .photos etc.? Flesh those thoughts out, connect the dots for me. Something deeper than the fluff that usually gets posted.

•••
•••
is this supposed to help "other new gtlds"? Some parent site that the public will probably never visit, will help .click, .blue, .photos etc.? Flesh those thoughts out, connect the dots for me.

I agree the exposure is small, but every little bit is helping with public awareness of the new options that are available. Although, that doesn't mean people will use them. With each new occurrence of a .click or .xyz being used and receiving mainstream media attention, the exposure of the program as a whole becomes a little less unknown and a little more understood.

I wouldn't be surprised if everyone on the Internet has seen at least 1 new gTLD in 5-10 years from now, but I would be surprised if all of them saw the same new gTLD like they have with .com today.

•••
You only get exposed to the extension you get exposed to. Alternate extensions are nothing new, people have seen them before. Justin Bieber tweeted out his joker.tattoo to 65 million followers, it has 7,382 regs. Did it help in reg numbers, sales? Nope. And that was a tumblr site, something people actually visit. This will be in the news for a little bit and then life goes on. The big story is Alphabet Inc. not abc.xyz. Some reporting about this story don't even mention the url. Those companies under that umbrella, all .com.

Last edited:
•••
@JB, does the ocean sand really fly that far inland? Go debate someone else.. We don't agree and never will. :xf.rolleyes:

•••
@JB, does the ocean sand really fly that far inland? Go debate someone else.. We don't agree and never will. :xf.rolleyes:

I figure you couldn't flesh your thoughts out. You say it'll help all new gtlds, I say how, you basically say, I dunno. It would help if there was actually something there for people.

•••
I figure you couldn't flesh your thoughts out.

Give me a valid question and not propaganda and I'll be happy to reply. I know how you operate. Your posts bait people and then you go back and edit after the fact. We've been down this road, maybe you should scope out someone that just registered here.

What's your question and I'm happy to reply.

•••
Give me a valad question and not propaganda and I'll be happy to reply. I know how you operate. Your posts bait people and then you go back and edit after the fact. We've been down this road, maybe you shold scope out someone that just registered here.

Whats your question and I'm happy to reply.

I did give you a valid question, let me quote myself:

"how in the world is this supposed to help "other new gtlds"?"

Let's get specific. You just got loan.loan, which is kinda redundant but let's go on. Because of abc.xyz, this helps your loan.loan how exactly? Or any of the other ones you have?

•••
•••
I did give you a valid question, let me quote myself:

"how in the world is this supposed to help "other new gtlds"?"

It doesn't take a rocket scientist that when ABC.XYZ becomes an investor Website and with Google behind it more people will understand other extensions, example .xyz, .web, .tech etc...

Surely you understand that when the big player such as Google fully launches this ABC.XYZ site people will learn there are other extensions besides .com, .net and so on.

It's a big win for .xyz and new gTLDs but I'm sure you've had a hard time dealing with this today. Maybe a hot bath would help. :xf.wink:

•••
Everyone excited about this might want to know that Google was a founder and board member of .mobi, investing €600k to create the Dotmobi company.

Now google.mobi is a redirect.

•••
Everyone excited about this might want to know that Google was a founder and board member of .mobi, investing €600k to create the Dotmobi company.
Now google.mobi is a redirect.

Oh no! You mentioned .Mobi - be prepared for rebuttals on how .whatevers are not like .mobi - because they are the future! :xf.rolleyes:

Have you ever seen Idiocracy? The .whatever fan base reminds me of that movie, where they water the plants with Brawndo because it has 'electrolytes'.

When asked why they simply reply, 'because it has electrolytes!'

•••
It doesn't take a rocket scientist that when ABC.XYZ becomes an investor Website and with Google behind it more people will understand other extensions, example .xyz, .web, .tech etc...

Surely you understand that when the big player such as Google fully launches this ABC.XYZ site people will learn there are other extensions besides .com, .net and so on.

It's a big win for .xyz and new gTLDs but I'm sure you've had a hard time dealing with this today. Maybe a hot bath would help. :xf.wink:

"with Google behind it"

Even after I listed a bunch of stuff that they were behind and failed. And what carob mentioned as well. History escapes you. Or - https://www.google.com/search?q=google's+failed+products&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

And these were things they pushed, this isn't, I quoted Sergey for you. They're not out to push the .xyz extension. The properties they do own, the ones people will actually visit, consumers, users, still on .coms. You're putting money into an extension where only 7%+ of the regs are from the United States. Kind of low for somebody who wanted to be the "next .com" You should be putting more of your money into names the Chinese would buy, maybe you'll have better luck with them.

Almost 70% China - https://namestat.org/xyz

Will keep an eye on it, and see if it helps the U.S. numbers.

Last edited:
•••
"with Google behind it"

Even after I listed a bunch of stuff that they were behind and failed.

Google freak people out by trying stuff and just dumping it, even when people are using it. Bad business? Some people describe Google as the first big "agile company" meaning their business approach is like agile software development - build fast, release often, modify, change, modify, experiment, throw away what does not work or isn't wanted. So they are not afraid to launch stuff and dump it. Not so much New Coke as market testing or lab testing - different to the usual corporate PR stuff.

•••
"with Google behind it"

Even after I listed a bunch of stuff that they were behind and failed. And what carob mentioned as well. Or - https://www.google.com/search?q=google's+failed+products&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

And these were things they pushed, this isn't, I quoted Sergey for you. They're not out to push the .xyz extension.

What don't you get about ABC.XYZ:

Let me type a bit slower for you:

QUOTE, from the site:: "Alphabet Inc. will replace Google Inc. as the publicly-traded entity"

Alphabit Inc Website is now ABC.XYZ. This will be their site.. Alphabit Inc will replace Google, if you think Goolge will fail then...:xf.rolleyes:

Great news for .xyz and the extension whether you can cope or not. O.o

•••
What don't you get about ABC.XYZ:

Let me type a bit slower for you:

QUOTE, from the site:: "Alphabet Inc. will replace Google Inc. as the publicly-traded entity"

Alphabit Inc Website is now ABC.XYZ. This will be their site.. Alphabit Inc will replace Google, if you think Goolge will fail then...:xf.rolleyes:

Great news for .xyz and the extension whether you can cope or not. O.o

You have some type of block, you just don't get stuff. Instead of typing slower, reread what's already been posted, slower. Comprehension.

•••
You have some type of block, you just don't get stuff.

Oh I get it, please don't insult me with the block comment! You don't get that Google is changing their investor platform to ABC.XYZ, which will impact all Google stock investors.

Let me quote the site one last time: "Alphabet Inc. will replace Google Inc. as the publicly-traded entity and all shares of Google will automatically convert into the same number of shares of Alphabet, with all of the same rights. Google will become a wholly-owned subsidiary of Alphabet."

Are you smokin or drinking cause this is the news?

Last edited:
•••
And BMW own Alphabet.com, don't think they will be letting that one go, no doubt have it in some other extensions.

•••
Everyone excited about this might want to know that Google was a founder and board member of .mobi, investing €600k to create the Dotmobi company..
I was going to post about .mobi too, because it was promoted and advertised much more prominently than the new extensions are today. Some end users really did take a chance back then.

Some comments are hilarious.
I understand those who invested heavily in new extensions are desperate, thus the news like these are blown up out of all proportion. But that still doesn't mean their 'assets' will sell at all. Sorry.
In this instance, this was another registry sale, not a domainer success story.

Since google is (again) involved in new extensions, they must be now using them in some way, but it would make more sense if they used their own.

•••
Hello,

I think the confusion will help .XYZ even more?!

- Oh, so you are saying that Google Inc is now called Alphabet?
- Yes!
- But when I typed in Alphabet.com, nothing happened.
- No, the address is: www.abc.xyz.
- What? Sounds like a virus to me.
- Yeah, it's kind of strange.
- Is that Google's own domain?
- No, I think anyone can buy a xyz domain.
- Is there any good ones still left?

It's obvious that many who are NOT domainer will wonder what .XYZ is. There are +7 billion people on the planet. The vast majority will probably not care and continue to google like nothing happened. But let's assume that 7% of them actually learn about .XYZ this way. That's 500.000.000 people.

•••
abc .com was already registered so was abcxyz .com(useless for them)
getting abc .xyz as a brand was a good move.
Though i will still visit google .com youtube.com etc etc.

•••
Ps. Just checked my e-mail. Two requests for .XYZ domains I have and I have not sold a .XYZ in more than 3 months. ;)

•••
I like 'abc', but .xyz.. nope.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back