IT.COM

domains Google Says .app Domain Helps Apps Get Discovered

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/google-says-app-domain-helps-apps-get-discovered-shani-yehezkel

We have supported the idea that domain names influence search engine performance for some time now – the research is there.

New top-level domains create a more meaningful and memorable experience for Internet users. Having a unique and relevant URL that matches your brand name or product is priceless. The name says it all. The best way to get discovered online is to use a domain name that aligns with your purpose and makes it easier for people to find you.

The top apps on the market are already using the .app domain as the home for their application on the web. There are more than 1.5 million app publishers between Google Play, App Store, and Amazon AppStore, which means there are 1.5 million brands competing for the perfect representation of their brand with the .app domain (Source: App Annie).

disclaimer: I own diamondring.app

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
The question is, is it just compelling marketing or is Google finally admitting to the fact that top-level domains influence search engine results and ranking?

•••
•••
$25,000,000
That's only covers the TLD fees. I'm sure they will be fined for doing such thing (giving privileges to their own TLD) , remember the 2.7B $ fine by European Commission)

•••
The algorithm will probably apply to all Gtlds

So no unfair advantage, anyone can rank

•••
The algorithm will probably apply to all Gtlds

So no unfair advantage, anyone can rank

i agree, since google owns and manages the .app extension they would not give prefered treatment to .app names out of fear of another class action suit.

•••
Of course google would rank their extension. what did you expect ? no need to act shocked, you would have done the same if you were them. everyone knew that before .app launch.

•••
Quite clear that Google promotes .app domains used for apps.

Ergo, it's pointless to stock up on .app domains in hopes of reselling. When will domainers learn?

•••
It is unlikely that domainers registered all 150k .app's. Such strong start was only possible if lot of end users got involved too. If so, we will get aftermarket for .app as well.

•••
Judging by the registration threads here on NPs about .app domains, I've no doubt that thousands of .app domains were speculative registrations.

Lots of registrants also treated the Google gTLD as "generic" - which makes it no different than .XYZ in terms of reseller value.

•••
Nevertheless, lots of .app domains were bought by end users. Lots of sites already got live.

That many registrants treated .app as generic is even better for reseller market.

•••
End users that have an app / produce applications / function in the Google/Apple app universe.

Generic end-user registrants without app participation, got these as shortcuts, e.g. Paul.app

Without data from the zone files we can party all day long, based on registration numbers.

•••
Everyone has access to .app zone file, one is welcome to perform some research. Also one may check for developed .app websites - it also can give some insight.

Paul.app is great example. Many people even without app participation will want some generic ones such as Paul.app. So there will be demand, and so will be aftermarket.

•••
Paul Stamatiou works for Twitter, he's a tech geek. That was an easy example.

I see zero value in .app reselling; the news from Google in this post is solely about search engine visibility of .app domains linked to applications.

•••
When somebody is selling something to you, what they are saying shouldn't be taken at face value.
We've been through this so many times, when will people ever learn ?

•••
I think Paul Stamatiou is not the only one who bought .app, as, e.g, shortcut.

Google says it is for mobile/web apps, yet people treat it as generic as well. Good for market.

•••
kriss05, good for the .app market, how? Because someone registered a dot .app as they can't have/afford the .com?

Good for .com, you mean.

•••
Actually, .app is expensive extension. Yet lots of premium domains with $100-2000 renewals were registered by end users.

It is good for .app market because there is demand from end users.

BTW, ngtlds were introduced because people can't have/afford .com weren't they.

That people treat .app as generic is not good for .com.

Last edited:
•••
"Lots of premium domains" - how many? Which end users, folks that can't afford the .com?

I'm as much of a gTLD supporter as the next guy, but .app is dead without an ...app. I know, hard to comprehend. :)

•••
Of course there will be aftermarket for .app guys IF you have good keywords registered :) Remember, Google supports it...whether you like that fact or not.

There are some amazing results from EAP DAYS and from overal number of registration so far.

I also bet many end users will go directly for keyword.app, and they will not even consider buying keywordapp.TLD where TLD in (.com, .net, .org, .us, .co.uk, .de, .fr, etc)...Time will tell if I am right in this.

BtW: I personally skipped .app completely for now, too much competition for my taste atm. But everybody can see that everyone on this forum speak and buy .app!

•••
How many end users: many, if one needs numbers, one may check zone file or google for developed .app websites and check renewals.

Which end users: Paul Stamatiou for example, he decided to buy paul.app rather than paul.com.

Someone bought and developed art.app that has $2k renewal. So maybe yes, they couldn't afford buying art.com so they went for art.app with $2k renewal.

•••
Someone reported in another thread that he got opening $xxx offer already - I guess he was approached directly via email - so .app market had just been created :)

Last edited:
•••
like many new extensions with tiered pricing - .app is marketed towards end users. and the pricing discourages resellers and domainers.

personally - i'm not going to risk paying $1000 - $5000 per name per year in hopes an end user comes along with deep pockets to take the name off my hands.

Yes there are cheaper names, but they are more of a long shot as we all know (and so does google).

Google knows exactly how to tier price each name with their vast amount of data and research.

•••
Beware those 2words app. Instead of buying .app from domainner, they could just get .other at register fee.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back