domains GoDaddy valuations changed – they took $3k off one of my names

NameSilo
Watch

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact
I was looking at GoDaddy valuations and I had a name in there of mine. I then was doing some stuff for a few hours and came back and hit refresh for whatever reason. The value of the name dropped by like $900, I was like that's weird not that automated appraisals mean much. In a poll I did on Namepros, 0 was the majority of votes given when asked their importance on a scale of 0 to 10. So … [Read more...]

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
it seems like happened with everyone .. some of the names got more value and some got less .. strange but I think it's because their engine is getting more powerful with the recent kind of sales

BUT

Never trust on bots evaluation .. I believe 20% or even less :)

•••
Yep, they reduced like 20-50% off all of my names, which is crazy, they are supposed to increase the valuation, not decrease it. just shows again how bullshit this is.

•••
I think the mechanism is to show the greater value for the domains which are being held for sale by GoDaddy, this happens when 70% of the domain control is own by them!!!

•••
Yep, after the high appraisal in auctions, you pay a higher price, bham get bidded up on a high appraisal, and then be expected into reselling into a low appraisal. Double Hit.

•••
GD valuations change constantly and it's ok since that's how it's supposed to work (ie. they are based off keyword trends and sales).

I keep track of GD valuations on my domains on a monthly basis and the fluctuation is a very common thing. I'm mainly interested in the fluctuation and not the actual appraisal however.

•••
•••
By this change, they confirm how worthless their appraisal actually is. I have checked few of my domains that I knew earlier value, and one is down from 2.200 from a day ago to 800. Many .co hand regs went from 500-1000 earlier to bellow 100.
I understand necessary fluctuations, but what has happened that lowered the value for that much???

•••
all domain value depends company 's brand,not GD

•••
I had got some 4L.COMs from a mate who bought them @ GD auctions and their value have dropped by 2k-4k,

Seems like GD likes to inflate valuations for auction domains. I feel GoDaddy appraisals aren't credible anymore, because if a fluctuation is too large than minor, its not reasonable to consider it as a benchmark.

Yes I have seen minor fluctuations but i m experiencing 2-4k fluctuation for the first time.

Last edited:
•••
One of my names went from 12.5k to 3k on Estibot & 5.5k to 1.9k on Godaddy at roughly the same time

load of bollocks if you ask me.....

•••
in my case,surprisingly prices of some .coms were dropped and .co,.gg,.io increased...

•••
Obviously a fair amount of speculation here, but of prime interest to me is that a number of comments mention that this phenomenon is not just happening at GD. This makes sense given that we are facing an unprecedented shakeup in all industry.
Has anyone who has kept monthly records tried to graph and average the results?

•••
Just posted in another thread. GD valuation for a domain changed from $4,185 to $3,762 in 5 days.

Last week I got an inquiry for my only LLinc.com domain that was listed at $650 just to liquidate. We agreed to move forward but the buyer disappeared for few days (now he's back). I was kinda pissed and I removed the price altogether.

As a part of my pricing strategy (and research), I always look up the GoDaddy appraisal tool. So the appraised value for my LLinc.com domain was $4,185 last Friday. Today I refreshed the page (to ensure my price is no longer pulled from Afternic) and it's now showing $3,762.

It seems GoDaddy's valuation is constantly changing.

Last edited:
•••
Just posted in another thread. ….It seems GoDaddy's valuation is constantly changing.

A constantly changing valuation shows that the algorithm is working as it should, especially in turbulent times. I would be more concerned if it was a static figure.

I think that one thing many people also fail to take into account is the fluctuation in local currency and how this affects names that are location specific - and I'm not just talking about extensions, but location specific keywords.
For example, I would expect that my 'Sydney Australia' themed domains 360sydney.com or sydney3d.com would drop in USD value if the Australian dollar fell against the greenback, simply because the target audience /buyer for the domain is likely to be is Sydney Australia and paying Aud.

Last edited:
•••
Huge Domains playing with any last second $12 bids on auctions, and forcing a bidding war between bot and human into the hundreds, has caused a fake sense of demand. Unless your aware of how the bot came in you are thinking another party has a real interest in your domain, not a domain warehouse heading to 8 million registrations, and needing to make sure domain valuations stay high so their portfolio values high.

•••
Huge Domains playing with any last second $12 bids on auctions, and forcing a bidding war between bot and human into the hundreds, has caused a fake sense of demand. Unless your aware of how the bot came in you are thinking another party has a real interest in your domain, not a domain warehouse heading to 8 million registrations, and needing to make sure domain valuations stay high so their portfolio values high.
According to Paul Nicks (in November of 2019), GoDaddy does not include auction sales into its appraisal algorithm, nor does it list auction results under comparable sales.

https://domaininvesting.com/godaddy-auction-results-do-not-impact-godaddy-appraisal/

•••
Why is ANY domainer worried about what GoDaddy appraisals say? (Or indeed any other supposed appraisal system for that matter.)

For more than the past 15 years I have always been amazed just why domainers assume that there is any value in the likes of an appraisal by GoDaddy, etc.. Time and time again experienced domainers have tried explaining to newcomers that such appraisals are meaningless and what is worse are valueless.

If you have a good domain name and you either find a potential buyer or a potential buyer finds you and your domain then the value of that domain will be what the two of you decide and not what such appraisals suggest. If it was otherwise then you might as well get some chicken bones and throw them up in the air and see how they land to determine a similar type of valuation.

Right, that is my little rant over. :)

•••
Just depends on the comparable sales which are of course fluctuating. And in some cases the comparables pulled are not relevant which then means that the automated appraisal is inaccurate. When I’ve looked and kept a record of a prior GD valuation I’ve noticed an increase for my domains.

Any bot valuation is just a start - then you must do your own research.

Last edited:
•••
Why is ANY domainer worried about what GoDaddy appraisals say? (Or indeed any other supposed appraisal system for that matter.)

I use godaddy comps in the same way I use namebio. More recently I started pulling the data via an API because you get also year of sale which is relevant, of course.

Last edited:
•••
Another option (which I personally never used, but I’m about to try) is if I want to sell a domain for 1K and it’s appraised value is 3K, why not take advantage and refer the buyer to GD page?

•••
If a domain sale is lost due to a low valuation by the daddy appraisal machine, can that automated valuation system be sued?

(I'm being silly...of course it can. The questions is can the suit be won.)

•••
If a domain sale is lost due to a low valuation by the daddy appraisal machine, can that automated valuation system be sued?

(I'm being silly...of course it can. The questions is can the suit be won.)
It’s a two-edged sword, indeed.

Like it or not but the awareness about this tool will increase amongst end users anyway, IMO. We just need to be ready to explain why we could care less about such valuation when our price is higher :xf.wink:

•••
It might be because the higher end of the market has dried up and so this is bringing valuations down across the board. Afaik their algorithm is based on comparable sales through their own platform/Afternic.

•••
For godaddy valuations to mean anything godaddy should be able to stand by their valuation and be able to lend against their valuation and or be comfortable enoigh to buy a persons domain at what godaddy values it at

•••
Back