domains GoDaddy valuations changed – they took $3k off one of my names

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact
I was looking at GoDaddy valuations and I had a name in there of mine. I then was doing some stuff for a few hours and came back and hit refresh for whatever reason. The value of the name dropped by like $900, I was like that's weird not that automated appraisals mean much. In a poll I did on Namepros, 0 was the majority of votes given when asked their importance on a scale of 0 to 10. So … [Read more...]

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Agree with all, but check out

DomainIndex for the cruelest appraisal.

I just valued 2 of my domains. Ouch! I won't recommend them to potential buyers :)

•••
I just valued 2 of my domains. Ouch! I won't recommend them to potential buyers :)

Really appreciate!. Now pivot to estibot;

Voice sold for $30M. See it as an anomaly.
Why does estibot have Voice.com near 100%? Isnt "tougher"?
Estibot Voice.com value.png

Conspiracy to think voice.com sale 100% influence this "appraisal"?

Last edited:
•••

Show attachment 154311

Give up :)

•••
•••

Show attachment 154311

Estibot a lot of times upgrades the appraisal to where a published sale transacted. Seen it many times with Estibot.

•••
You know what would be plain stupid and realistic?
If they changed the algorithm as an aftermath of the Frank Schilling's $88.5 million domain appraisal.

Some top level executive just realized how bullshit GoDaddy appraisal is. When is coming out of your pocket it seems that you pay more attention to details, who knew that.

P.S. GoDaddy, I know you are reading this! The estimated value on auctions now show Not Available.

•••
Good thing is it is irrelevant and have no effect on sale price.

•••
I don't trust Godaddy Valuations as its not scientific. Estibot and Nameworth is good for English domains IMO

•••
I don't trust Godaddy Valuations as its not scientific
I don't trust any of them.

Estibot and Nameworth is good for English domains IMO

You're getting it wrong. There is no such thing as "good" automatic appraisal, IMO. They can only spark your thoughts as to why the domain has a high appraised value.

•••
Kind of ridiculous...particularly for auction buyers that use the appraised value.

Look at this one...Damit.com

https://www.godaddy.com/domain-auctions/damit-com-322622024
Auction page shows value of $11,188

Appraisal tool shows $7887
https://www.godaddy.com/domain-valu...&checkAvail=1&tmskey=&domainToCheck=damit.com

Almost a 4k difference. What a joke.

I did some searching today, and it looks like this is a timing issue. From what I could tell, the Estimated Value is from when the auction starts and the GoValue is more of a real time thing. I do not think this should be the case, especially since some people rely on these automated appraisals for bidding. I appreciate Raymond for drawing attention to this, and I appreciate you for calling this particular auction out which made me look further:

https://domaininvesting.com/dam-it-auction-appraisals-different-than-appraisal-tool/

•••
I did some searching today, and it looks like this is a timing issue. From what I could tell, the Estimated Value is from when the auction starts and the GoValue is more of a real time thing. I do not think this should be the case, especially since some people rely on these automated appraisals for bidding. I appreciate Raymond for drawing attention to this, and I appreciate you for calling this particular auction out which made me look further:

https://domaininvesting.com/dam-it-auction-appraisals-different-than-appraisal-tool/
Really good article you wrote by the way.

•••
Tested a few names with 1k+ reduced to around 200$. Dumbasses, don't they know that increasing the value increases their commission if sold through them at such price?

Further proof to never trust a bot valuation. This is why lowballing kids loving referring to GoDaddy & Estibot valuations.

•••
Godaddy appraisals came back to previous values for me , I think it was type of bug , I am seeing raised value again.

•••
Just wondering if this has anything to do with the portfolios and registrars that GD has recently acquired - for example Uniregistry. If the valuation data from those new sources was recently added into the GoValue system it could cause a shakeup.

•••
Godaddy appraisals came back to previous values for me , I think it was type of bug , I am seeing raised value again.

Same here. Yesterday "comparable domains sold" were in the region of 100 bucks same as the estimated value, now is back to the old value. It seems something happened with the database of sold domains.

I publicly apologize for my rudeness!

•••

I am also seeing a return to valuation normality today.
Previous years from my records, and todays valuations:

Domain #1: 2018 = $3667, 2019 = $3545, 2020 = $3765
Domain #2: 2018 = $3697, 2019 = $3222, 2020 = $4024
Domain #3: 2018 = $2534, 2019 = $2309, 2020 = $2460
Domain #4: 2018 = $5779, 2020 = $6863
Domain #5: 2018 = $6107, 2020 = $6746
Domain #6: 2018 = $6258, 2020 = $6798
Domain #7: 2018 = $4097, 2020 = $3821

•••
I am also seeing a return to valuation normality today.
Previous years from my records, and todays valuations:

Domain #1: 2018 = $3667, 2019 = $3545, 2020 = $3765
Domain #2: 2018 = $3697, 2019 = $3222, 2020 = $4024
Domain #3: 2018 = $2534, 2019 = $2309, 2020 = $2460
Domain #4: 2018 = $5779, 2020 = $6863
Domain #5: 2018 = $6107, 2020 = $6746
Domain #6: 2018 = $6258, 2020 = $6798
Domain #7: 2018 = $4097, 2020 = $3821
It's fixed now. Or should I say, it's back to the way it was. Also, it appears the auction page values are the same as the appraisal page values.

•••
•••
•••
Paul Nicks from GoDaddy commented about the appraisal irregularities:

by Paul Nicks at GD;
"Our data science team has been adding new data sources in order to re-train the algorithm and improve accuracy. We released the new algorithm pre-maturely last week and have since rolled it back."

At least GD admitted their mistake, but it almost gave me a heart attack when they revalued a domain I own, PopsRibs.com from $1,031 to $102 back to $1,031 all within 48 hours.

Still Estibot/Epik values it at "0", Nameworth values it at < $500 and Free Valuator values it at $2,150.

Ironically if there were a credible subjective "scoring" program, this domain would have scored high marks. Why? Just ask and i'll tell you why:xf.smile:

Regardless, i still use a combination of all the appraisal services to "help" determine whether i buy a domain, and how i value a domain.

•••
At least GD admitted their mistake, but it almost gave me a heart attack when they revalued a domain I own, PopsRibs.com from $1,031 to $102 back to $1,031 all within 48 hours.

Still Estibot/Epik values it at "0", Nameworth values it at < $500 and Free Valuator values it at $2,150.

Ironically if there were a credible subjective "scoring" program, this domain would have scored high marks. Why? Just ask and i'll tell you why:xf.smile:
Why would PopsRibs.com have scored high marks?

•••
Why would PopsRibs.com have scored high marks?
Because of comments like this from the the owner of what some on this thread consider to be the best domain appraisal business; "It does sound like a catchy name and I like it."

Besides this comment and others similar, this is exactly why PopsRibs.com would have received high marks if there were only a subjective scoring program. This should make perfect sense to a common sense consultant:xf.wink:

•••
•••
Thats interesting. Anyone know why they display 10 "comps" per domain appraisal? All of them apparently GoDaddy sales.
I don't know, but it sure gives a domainer like me a benchmark for what to ask for a particular domain, and just as important it gives me "ideas" for other domains I may be looking to own.

•••
Because of comments like this from the the owner of what some on this thread consider to be the best domain appraisal business; "It does sound like a catchy name and I like it."

Besides this comment and others similar, this is exactly why PopsRibs.com would have received high marks if there were only a subjective scoring program. This should make perfect sense to a common sense consultant:xf.wink:
You would think... but us common sense consultants usually focus on objectivity over subjectivity. Otherwise you risk falling victim to confirmation bias, which might be the case here.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back