domains GoDaddy valuations changed – they took $3k off one of my names

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact
I was looking at GoDaddy valuations and I had a name in there of mine. I then was doing some stuff for a few hours and came back and hit refresh for whatever reason. The value of the name dropped by like $900, I was like that's weird not that automated appraisals mean much. In a poll I did on Namepros, 0 was the majority of votes given when asked their importance on a scale of 0 to 10. So … [Read more...]

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Right from its introduction in beta GoDaddy valuations have changed regularly, sometimes by 50% or more over short time periods. Recently it seems .ca valuations are up, some other TLDs I have noticed are down. Valuations seem to go up and down, supposedly due to either changes in the algorithm or recent comparable sales, or both. I agree that valuations should logically change, but they should change less dramatically and often in my opinion. You would expect heavily traded names with a lot of liquidity such as 5N .com to vary less, but not sure if that is true. Conversely, thinly traded extensions would be expected to be more variable.
Bob

•••
I have just checked some of my names. Many remained more or less the same, but some other have changed drastically. There's even a 1 dictionary word .com in Spanish that is now "worth" $2,000 less than a week ago according to GD. All the valuations have changed this week. Not sure what happened. Some other names I recently purchased for middle $xxx had a GD value of $3,000 - $6,000 and today they have a value of $1,400 - $3,100.

Edit: I tend not to use appraisal bots too much, but since GD seemed consistent in some type of domains, I mostly used it like Namebio, or to make a purchase decision when I saw a certain domain name priced at a fair value compared to its GD value. However, dropping 50% of value in many .coms within a given week renders it even less reliable. It's like having a realtor appraise your house, then the buyer pays for it, and after a week the same realtor tells him his house is now worth 50% less.
Not sure if the change is due to a change in demand/supply, or a change in the algorithm, or due to the global recession we are going through right now....but it seems to be general. Of course it's more obvious with some domains, but there seems to be a general decrease in appraisal value.

Last edited:
•••
I've just checked few of my older dot coms and they appear to have gone up quite dramatically, some over 30% and a few almost 50%. I still think it's a bit of a gimmick but it's nice to see an algorithm reflect your original hunch that something will grow in value ;)

EDIT: On a second closer look, yes it actually appears most have gone down... a few by as much as 400%, some have gone up as I mentioned earlier.

Last edited:
•••
... There's even a 1 dictionary word .com in Spanish that is now "worth" $2,000 less than a week ago according to GD.

Belmar, I did read somewhere that GD Go Value works using an English dictionary, and will not recognize language outside of that.

•••
Belmar, I did read somewhere that GD Go Value works using an English dictionary, and will not recognize language outside of that.

Yes, I tested other and have gone up a bit. But most have gone down, many 100% or even much more, like you mention. Apparently, for different languages, the drop in value is even more obvious. Searching for terms in French, Spanish, Italian, even if one word .com, seems to confirm it somehow that it works better for English.

•••
on april 17 i checked a .ca and it showed at $3297. i checked it again and it showed $2325. a difference of $972 in two minutes! it shows today at $3014. godaddy appraisals bounce around more than the price of bitcoin!

•••
After all, there are not many choices, especially for the owners with a large number of domain names.:xf.wink::dead:

•••
on april 17 i checked a .ca and it showed at $3297. i checked it again and it showed $2325. a difference of $972 in two minutes! it shows today at $3014. godaddy appraisals bounce around more than the price of bitcoin!
And it shouldn’t be that way, IMO.

I understand the valuation can change based on the market, but it shouldn’t be that dynamic. After all, if Domain’s market value is 10K today, it shouldn’t change tomorrow to 8K because somebody has just sold a similar name at Afternic for 5K.

•••
Some domain names have gone up in price and some have gone down in price. Don't know if their evaluation criteria are?

•••
here is what i experienced with my domains see my attachment
Plenty of 80%-

5/10/2020 1291 5/13/2020 207 84% -
5/10/2020 1085 5/13/2020 1100 1.5%+
5/10/2020 1343 5/13/2020 1461 9%+
5/10/2020 1305 5/13/2020 180 86%-
5/10/2020 1261 5/13/2020 1276 2%+
5/10/2020 1354 5/13/2020 1251 8%-
5/10/2020 1281 5/13/2020 1323 4%+
5/10/2020 1264 5/13/2020 1236 2%-
5/10/2020 1221 5/13/2020 1202 1%-
5/10/2020 588 5/13/2020 100 83%-
5/10/2020 1302 5/13/2020 1385 6%+
5/10/2020 1067 5/13/2020 195 82%-
5/10/2020 898 5/13/2020 1006 11%+
5/10/2020 961 5/13/2020 135 86%-
5/10/2020 836 5/13/2020 1066 28%+
5/10/2020 1298 5/13/2020 210 84%-
5/10/2020 1330 5/13/2020 1268 5%-
5/10/2020 1017 5/13/2020 1215 17%+
5/10/2020 1214 5/13/2020 1265 5%+
5/10/2020 1209 5/13/2020 1232 2%+

Attachments

• CustomCellFormat.xlsx
    9.5 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:
•••
govalue for United-States.org was 2,4k
now Estimated Value: $1k
WHY?
UNITED-STATES.COM SOLD FOR $15,000 in 2020
. org is great for geos

•••
govalue for United-States.org was 2,4k
now Estimated Value: $1k
WHY?
UNITED-STATES.COM SOLD FOR $15,000 in 2020
. org is great for geos
one of my domains that i would value below 100$ increased in value while domains i have that i believe can go for much more took a 90% cut but hey who cares about godaddy appraisals

•••
Wanna see something really inconsistent?......

Why are the values on the names in GD auction higher than if you just put the name into the appraisal tool?....now thats weird.

Look...heres the auction page for a random name I picked out...
https://www.godaddy.com/domain-auctions/liquidationauction-com-323753791

Notice it shows the value is $3073...

Now here's the GD appraisal tool for the exact same domain..
https://www.godaddy.com/domain-valu...&tmskey=&domainToCheck=liquidationauction.com

The tools shows $2009

That's some weird stuff.

Last edited:
•••
Wanna see something really juicy?......

Why are the values on the names in GD auction higher than if you just put the name into the appraisal tool?....now thats weird.

Look...heres the auction page for a random name I picked out...
https://www.godaddy.com/domain-auctions/liquidationauction-com-323753791

Notice it shows the value is $3073...

Now here's the GD appraisal tool for the exact same domain..
https://www.godaddy.com/domain-valu...&tmskey=&domainToCheck=liquidationauction.com

The tools shows $2009

That's some weird stuff.
Nice find

•••
•••
•••
Kind of ridiculous...particularly for auction buyers that use the appraised value.

Look at this one...Damit.com

https://www.godaddy.com/domain-auctions/damit-com-322622024
Auction page shows value of $11,188

Appraisal tool shows $7887
https://www.godaddy.com/domain-valu...&checkAvail=1&tmskey=&domainToCheck=damit.com

Almost a 4k difference. What a joke.

@Bob Hawkes @Grilled @equity78 what do you think of these discrepencies?

Oh jeeze. :banghead: **responding just to your quotes, will read over the thread later.

I just lectured somebody calling to verify my insurance about integration issues within their healthcare system, and the onus of figuring out the answer to the question she was asking me, should rely on asking somebody that same question with her department, as they would know more than I. <probably not the best response. But when you keep getting calls from different people from the same number, it helps to limit the frequency of those calls, as I have no way of calling back, when they don't leave a message/extension.

Point being, <beyond my opinion to be written later after more time to review>, seeing two different appraisals on different GoDaddy.com webpages makes me think (basing this opinion off of previous response from GD regarding the OrganicFlowers.com auction alleged scam thread that apparently is/was/about to be in a discovery stage within the courts) my assumption is this is an integration issue regarding the last update not being applied to current auctions that had the pre-update appraisal?

Archived for future reference:

Auction Appraisal: https://archive.li/9N5xY

/Domain-Value-Appraisal: https://archive.li/3fops

#damit

Last edited:
•••
They are going to lose credibility...my opinion of course. I just became a member of Estibot. Why? I created a list of my domain names in a portfolio. Their domain valuations are highly accepted by the IRS, and other organizations. Sorry for my rant. Just thought I'd share. :)

What is your opinion of Estibot vs. GoDaddy appraisals?

Good endevours.

•••
They are going to lose credibility...my opinion of course. I just became a member of Estibot. Why? I created a list of my domain names in a portfolio. Their domain valuations are highly accepted by the IRS, and other organizations. Sorry for my rant. Just thought I'd share. :)

Good endevours.
Estibot is accepted by the irs? no automated appraisal system is accurate

Last edited:
•••
I just became a member of Estibot. Why? I created a list of my domain names in a portfolio. Their domain valuations are highly accepted by the IRS, and other organizations.

Do you have proof, or can you cite such examples backing up the claim that estibot domain valuations are highly accepted by the IRS and other organizations?

I would venture to say given GoDaddy marketshare / marketsize that there is an argument that GoDaddy appraisals are more widely accepted. Just my opinion, no facts.

Sorry for my rant. Just thought I'd share.

Thanks for your rant. Not sure if I agree though.

•••
Estibot is accepted by the irs? no automated appraisal system is accurate

I read that in a press release... when I was researching them. They stated they've worked with these agencies which have actually used their appraisals valuations for domain assets.

I will try searching on my laptop and will place the link here, if I find it. I truly understand the bot thing. Technology is there but the coders of these bots are totally off. They'll never get it perfected.

I still need to find a reasonable domain appraiser, if y'all have any in mind, please do share.

- Issa

--- ps. Found text on their website to somewhat match the article I read. ---
https://www.estibot.com/register

Last edited:
•••
I read that in a press release... when I was researching them. They stated they've worked with these agencies which have actually used their appraisals valuations for domain assets.

I will try searching on my laptop and will place the link here, if I find it. I truly understand the bot thing. Technology is there but the coders of these bots are totally off. They'll never get it perfected.

I still need to find a reasonable domain appraiser, if y'all have any in mind, please do share.

- Issa

--- ps. Found text on their website to somewhat match the article I read. ---
https://www.estibot.com/register
just saw the text it is very broad every automated appraisal service claims that
there is epik estibot godaddy nameworth but they are all inaccurate

•••
•••
My view between Estibot and GoDaddy values is that Estibot values "low value" domains at $0-200, and GoDaddy values pretty much them all at $1k+ I know which I would choose to quote to an inquiry about my "low value" names :) I don't think either of them realistically value "high value" domains very well either. Estibot say $XXXk and GoValue say $25k+. Pretty much the price depends on how much the seller is prepared to ask, and how much the buyer is prepared to pay. So these estimates are all basically, crappy.

Last edited:
•••
My view between Estibot and GoDaddy values is that Estibot values "low value" domains at $0-200, and GoDaddy values pretty much them all at $1k+ I know which I would choose to quote to an inquiry about my "low value" names :) I don't think either of them realistically value "high value" domains very well either. Estibot say $XXXk and GoValue say $25k+. Pretty much the price depends on how much the seller is prepared to ask, and how much the buyer is prepared to pay. So these estimates are all basically, crappy.

Agree with all, but check out

DomainIndex for the cruelest appraisal.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back