IT.COM

GoDaddy totally unethical

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
It´s almost unbelievable, but I needed to write about this because it really frustrates me. I mean, I´m not naive, I know its business, but these guys are totally unethical.
A couple of minutes ago I was searching for some 1 word domains, and I found Medizinisch.de, which means "medical" in german...it was available. I was at work, and needed to take care of some issues, so 3 minutes later I came back to register it and it was gone!
I did a WHOIS search and found this:

upload_2016-8-4_14-36-38.png

Not only is it very difficult to find good available names, but these totally unethical guys take all the credits for your days, weeks and months of brainstorming and work. I will try to share this as much as I can...even though everybody knew this, I can´t believe they have such practices....I mean, it´s not that it was gone after 48 hs...it was gone after 3 minutes!
I feel so unsafe by working with these guys!

I was not dreaming, I swear it showed as available 3 minutes before.....maybe it was a bug or something, but It was showing available. I´ve searched domains on other registrars, it might happen too of course, but with GoDaddy it´so obvious...

I needed to share it.....

Thanks!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think it may be a bug..It happened for me as well..Its really frustrating to see when its not available after sometime..

•••
That was amazing domain. Great job finding it. I hope you get it!!

•••
hey, I went to register gtld.com and had it in the checkout then spit it back out at me. lol. it happens. feel the burn, get a better one. yea!

•••
•••
Yes, might be a bug...it happened the same with another domain....also a .de domain...said available, then clicked on it to register and said "domain is not available". But with the previous one, I could even add it to the cart, maybe it just updated when I tried to pay for it, could be a bug...but its annoying hehe ;) I managed to register another .de that is still good.....thanks guys!

•••
The domain was not available when you searched for it. GoDaddy's programming just sucks.

root@host [~]# whois Medizinisch.de
[Querying whois.denic.de]
[whois.denic.de]
% Copyright (c) 2010 by DENIC
% Version: 2.0
%
% Restricted rights.
%
% Terms and Conditions of Use
%
% The data in this record is provided by DENIC for informational purposes only.
% DENIC does not guarantee its accuracy and cannot, under any circumstances,
% be held liable in case the stored information would prove to be wrong,
% incomplete or not accurate in any sense.
%
% All the domain data that is visible in the whois service is protected by law.
% It is not permitted to use it for any purpose other than technical or
% administrative requirements associated with the operation of the Internet.
% It is explicitly forbidden to extract, copy and/or use or re-utilise in any
% form and by any means (electronically or not) the whole or a quantitatively
% or qualitatively substantial part of the contents of the whois database
% without prior and explicit written permission by DENIC.
% It is prohibited, in particular, to use it for transmission of unsolicited
% and/or commercial and/or advertising by phone, fax, e-mail or for any similar
% purposes.
%
% By maintaining the connection you assure that you have a legitimate interest
% in the data and that you will only use it for the stated purposes. You are
% aware that DENIC maintains the right to initiate legal proceedings against
% you in the event of any breach of this assurance and to bar you from using
% its whois service.
%
% The DENIC whois service on port 43 never discloses any information concerning
% the domain holder/administrative contact. Information concerning the domain
% holder/administrative contact can be obtained through use of our web-based
% whois service available at the DENIC website:
% http://www.denic.de/en/domains/whois-service/web-whois.html
%

Domain: medizinisch.de
Nserver: ns1.routing.net
Nserver: ns2.routing.net
Nserver: ns3.routing.net
Changed: 2015-04-24T13:50:48+02:00

[Tech-C]
Type: PERSON
Name: Utz Jankowiak
Organisation: index Internet Mediaforschung GmbH
Address: Zinnowitzer Str. 1
PostalCode: 10115
City: Berlin
CountryCode: DE
Phone: +49 30 39088124
Fax: +49 30 39088321
Email: REMOVED
Changed: 2015-04-24T12:42:30+02:00

[Zone-C]
Type: PERSON
Name: Utz Jankowiak
Organisation: index Internet Mediaforschung GmbH
Address: Zinnowitzer Str. 1
PostalCode: 10115
City: Berlin
CountryCode: DE
Phone: +49 30 39088124
Fax: +49 30 39088321
Email: REMOVED
Changed: 2015-04-24T12:42:30+02:00

Last edited:
•••
One time I thought I had been able to register i.io from GoDaddy, had it in my cart and checked it out, only to find out it was a bug. It took weeks to get refunded. Nonetheless mistakes happen on their end, whether it was truly available or not. Good luck with it, it's a killer domain

•••
This has happened to me several times across a few different registery's ...I even mentioned it a few times here on NP.

•••
OP I believe you should change the title, it's unfair to godaddy.

•••
Might be just a glitch. I do hope you end up getting the domain name though.

•••
They did not take it. This happens sometimes - a domain shows as available, and it will even make it to the shopping cart.

Then it will be gone.

Has happened to me many times.

Domain front running was a big problem years ago, but most reputable companies would not risk their business these days by allowing their employees to do this.

It sometimes feels like domains are stolen right from under you when you check a name and it disappears soon after that if you don't buy it, but there is a lot of competition these days, and good names do not last long anymore.

I believe it still happens occasionally, especially if you use a lesser known and less reputable service to check names, but for the most part I think the big players would not allow their employees to do this because it would be caught and reported at places like NP and domainers like us would take our business elsewhere.

•••
It is a bug, they are not stealing your research.

•••
Godaddy domain search is filled with bugs, I have experienced this hundreds of times (seriously) .. I prefer dynadot or name.com's search.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back