IT.COM

Whois look up software that shows the exact time?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

boker

Top Member
Impact
Guys, somebody knows about a whois lookup website that shows the exact hour and minute when a name was registered? I was using a well known software earlier to look for some domains and when I have found a nice 5 letter available I have checked it on google for 5 minutes and when I came back, it was registered by a namepros member. I just want to see if it was a coincidence or I should not use that website anymore.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It depends on the extension and also the registrar output. The time may not always be available.

When you checked the domain perhaps it was already registered and not available. It could be a glitch or cached whois. Fairly common problem.

•••
It depends on the extension and also the registrar output. The time may not always be available.

When you checked the domain perhaps it was already registered and not available. It could be a glitch or cached whois. Fairly common problem.
Yes, but who registered the name did it today...and it's connected to one of the whois software's in the market....and if hes connected with the software which I have use to find that domain...then maybe is more than a coincidence..that why I want to know the exact time...because there are slim chances that somebody will register exactly the same name , two minutes after I have checked and it's connected to the same software I have used to find it.

•••
Why don't you just do a whois lookup at the registrar where the domain is registered ?

•••
Why don't you just do a whois lookup at the registrar where the domain is registered ?
Good idea, thanks...it's tucows......Iooks like it was very close, in a couple of minutes...strange coincidence for somebody dealing with whois softwares

•••
Good idea, thanks...it's tucows......Iooks like it was very close, in a couple of minutes...strange coincidence for somebody dealing with whois softwares

You used software, not a website to check the name, correct?

•••
This is the second time I have heared about this issue of someone checking a name then when they went to register it is gone. It was posted on here at namepros by a member not to long ago.

•••
This is the second time I have heared about this issue of someone checking a name then when they went to register it is gone. It was posted on here at namepros by a member not to long ago.

Not uncommon. If it happens often to the same person or software I'd be concerned.

•••
Not uncommon. If it happens often to the same person or software I'd be concerned.
It's possible but when the new owner owns a whois search website, than I start thinking...and if there is a connection between the website I have used to search and him than I don't think it's a coincidence

Last edited:
•••
You used software, not a website to check the name, correct?
It was a website which I think uses a software for instant availability search

•••
Was it a drop by any chance ? It could be that somebody else saw the name in a list and you just weren't the only party who noticed it.

•••
Was it a drop by any chance ? It could be that somebody else saw the name in a list and you just weren't the only party who noticed it.
As far as I can see it was never registered before...this is the wonder, how come in a couple of minutes after I have checked the name gets registered and the new owner it's connected to whois 'stuff'...If you want I can PM you the name, maybe you can find out something I could not

•••
Whois can be a real enigma sometimes .. TLD is a factor .. .com's usually aren't too bad .. but the information can be off and on at times for other TLD's.

That being said .. there are a lot of sketchy people out there who could easily set up a website (or software) that captures your domain and sends it back to them for them to register if they think it's a good one. Probably extremely rare .. but not impossible.

From a quick look at your story (without knowing the specifics or domain) I'd guess that the data was likely just offline when you first checked. Pretty much any .com you can think of of any value or interest is already registered .. pretty rare to find something unregistered. Again .. not impossible .. but put it all together and I think that's most likely what happened.

•••
Whois can be a real enigma sometimes .. TLD is a factor .. .com's usually aren't too bad .. but the information can be off and on at times for other TLD's.

That being said .. there are a lot of sketchy people out there who could easily set up a website (or software) that captures your domain and sends it back to them for them to register if they think it's a good one. Probably extremely rare .. but not impossible.

From a quick look at your story (without knowing the specifics or domain) I'd guess that the data was likely just offline when you first checked. Pretty much any .com you can think of of any value or interest is already registered .. pretty rare to find something unregistered. Again .. not impossible .. but put it all together and I think that's most likely what happened.
It's possible that it's nothing major...but in the same time there are to many coincidences. I don't care about the domain itself, I just want to know what happened so that I know if I will use that website next time...The domain is a 5 letter .com, brandable...and using #Kate's idea, I have checked, the registrar whois, which showed that the name was registered around 2 minutes after I have checked it, by someone who owns or is connected to one of the whois websites . If I can make a connection between the websites I have used and the other website, than I'm sure that it was something sketchy. I'm not 100% sure yet, that way I didn't named any website.

•••
With some help from #Michael from namebio.com, who had some info about the websites involved, now I know that it was just a coincidence. Thanks Michael for your help.

•••
Feel free to PM me the name.

•••
Today it happened again, with the same website....even if the website is owned by a big company is hard to think that every time when you find a good name, somebody find's it right away, not 5 minutes earlier not 1 week earlier.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back