IT.COM

news GoDaddy to acquire domain sales platform dan.com!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I still don't get it.. is there like official gd dan link or info saying what will happen to Dan... changes.. etc
What don’t you get? The announcements said the deal will complete in the 4th quarter. We are in the start of the 3rd quarter right now.

I am sure we will get all the pertinent details and changes in the fall. I do wonder why they announced now if its not happening for awhile. Probably because they know we won’t like it one bit..

•••
Dan is now A GoDaddy brand

They changed their home page and landing pages.

I think this may increase Dan acceptance for end users

•••
They changed their home page and landing pages.
I assume they have/will buy out the parent organization as well...

"Dan.com an Undeveloped BV subsidiary."

•••
I had the inclination an acquisition of Dan was inevitable, just a little surprised so soon.

Keep commission, payout times, response times the same, add auto sync of listed names to Afternic, and things might stand well.

Last edited:
•••
I still don't get it.. is there like official gd dan link or info saying what will happen to Dan... changes.. etc
Nope, and it appears they have been quite cagey about it. The lack of clarity is a major problem.

There has been no real pushback to speculation from me and others that they are just going to jack up the commissions to "align" with their other services.

If they want to kill Dan, that is a good way to do it.

However, I don't think it makes sense for GoDaddy as a business. Dan is capturing sales GoDaddy is not capturing, and certainly won't be at 20%.

As someone who uses both, GoDaddy clearly has the larger market share but Dan has the superior system.
Landers, leads, negotiation, payment, transfer. The entire process is far more intuitive.

If they leave it largely as is, with re-branded landers then fine. If they come in and try to take control of people's leads, negotiation, and/or raise the commissions many people will simply leave.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Nope, and it appears they have been quite cagey about it. The lack of clarity is a major problem.

There has been no real pushback to speculation from me and others that they are just going to jack up the commissions to "align" with their other services.

If they want to kill Dan, that is a good way to do it.

However, I don't think it makes sense for GoDaddy as a business. Dan is capturing sales GoDaddy is not capturing, and certainly won't be at 20%.

As someone who uses both, GoDaddy clearly has the larger market share but Dan has the superior system.
Landers, leads, negotiation, payment, transfer. The entire process is far more intuitive.

If they leave it largely as is, with re-branded landers then fine. If they come in and try to take control of people's leads, negotiation, and/or raise the commissions many people will simply leave.

Brad

read somewhere some or all dan staff remains..so let's hope few.more things like fees dont increase also.

•••
Wow

Screenshot 2022-07-15 at 15-43-16 Buy and Sell Domain Names Dan.com.png

Last edited:
•••
•••
how much sale price? 100mil?
I doubt we'll ever get to know the price. Or maybe GoDaddy must disclose something in SEC filings?

•••
I doubt we'll ever get to know the price. Or maybe GoDaddy must disclose something in SEC filings?

They are a publicly traded company. Most of the details will eventually make it into their filings.

Brad

Last edited:
•••

well u know we can still best guess...gottA be 9fig no?

•••
I assume they have/will buy out the parent organization as well...

"Dan.com an Undeveloped BV subsidiary."
In the footer on DAN.com since today: "GoDaddy Europe Limited."

•••
DAN is a commercial enterprise.
Commercial businesses focus on profitability.
DAN saw the money and took it.
End of the story.

•••
One of the reasons why a sale (including payment) via DAN can be completed so quickly, is that DAN maintains holding accounts with many registrars. A domain can be pushed to that account if a domain is in lock period. Afternic is a lot less flexible with this. I express my hope that this domain push method will continue to exist at DAN (a GoDaddy Brand).

Last edited:
•••
Well @epik and @Rob Monster needs to up their game to take over any vacuum that the Dan acquisition creates.

Such as increasing their payout methods to include may be Payoneer, Paypal, funds transfer and also work on the Masterbucks they're currently using which has limited countries it can transfer funds to.

When they can't transfer funds to a particular country and the country blocks/bans crypto currency transactions. It makes it basically impossible to cash out sales proceed.

Also they should look into maintaining Holding account with other Registrar to enable push of domains within the lock period.

In summary fast conclusion of transactions for the Buyer to get the domain and Seller the sales proceed ASAP.

•••
Do GoDaddy want to monopolize domain market?

•••
Do GoDaddy want to monopolize domain market?

Technically they cannot do that but they just don't like to share that sweet, easy money.

•••
Technically they cannot do that but they just don't like to share that sweet, easy money.
I guess as much

•••
Well @epik and @Rob Monster needs to up their game to take over any vacuum that the Dan acquisition creates.

Such as increasing their payout methods to include may be Payoneer, Paypal, funds transfer and also work on the Masterbucks they're currently using which has limited countries it can transfer funds to.

When they can't transfer funds to a particular country and the country blocks/bans crypto currency transactions. It makes it basically impossible to cash out sales proceed.

Also they should look into maintaining Holding account with other Registrar to enable push of domains within the lock period.

In summary fast conclusion of transactions for the Buyer to get the domain and Seller the sales proceed ASAP.

from what I heard epik and paypal are done for life..but rob is in driver seat being owner able to do what he pleases..fees etc.. if gd destroys dan by raising fees rob and epik can grab all market by just setting dan fees

•••
I believe @epik fee is about the same with Dan.

They just have to look at other innovations of Dan and implement it in their system.

•••
Epik should learn to protect their servers first.

•••
I believe @epik fee is about the same with Dan.

They just have to look at other innovations of Dan and implement it in their system.

epik only has to have low fees they need not do anything else..now most go to dan cause its cooler and smoother... once gd gets rid of 5percent add lead fee ...everyone goes epik... huge numbers people just use dan for add lead..... then is also matter of 9percent lander sale..I dont mention market sale cause nobody sells there ...

•••
One thing Dan were very good at before was customer support, literally it would take less than an hour to hear back from them.

I'm now waiting 24 hours for a support request. I'm hoping I will hear from them but it's not a good sign.

Last edited:
•••
Epik Fees are lower as compare to dan

Last edited:
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back