Dynadot

GoDaddy buys Neustar

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
GoDaddy is acquiring Neustar’s domain name registry services business and renaming it GoDaddy Registry, company announced today.

Neustar directly manages .biz, .us, .co, several others. Neustar 12 million domains its platform. They are not acquiring Neustar DNS, DDoS...

This is first time GoDaddy will own a registry.

Full story: DomainNameWire

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Is/has .co become the defacto tld after .com or am I reading too much into the comments being made here?

It's my defacto & a lot of end users especially startups are adopting .co dictionary domains like balls.co, angel.co, vsco.co, tide.co business banking, and.co by fiverr, elastic.co, tasty.co by Buzzfeed, brit.co etc..

•••
I started my step into domaining with a wave of .co domains. I've sold several in the 4 figures. But .co is not any any way comparable to .com.

HOWEVER .. with the clout of GoDaddy it most certainly could be much stronger than it is today. GoDaddy has given .co preferential treatment for ages now .. maybe this was in the making longer than we'd think. But by the very act of giving .co top shelf in terms of marketing at GoDaddy inflates the registrar's value. Seeing a .co recommendation at the top of search results instead of a .com or aftermarket recommendation is a BIG DEAL!

I can't say I'm a fan of Registries and Registrars being under the same roof. But in this case it could help compete against Verisign if they reprice .co to actually be competitive with .com.

All that said I've completely lost interest in .co over the last 18 months or so. Anything but the deep first year discounts really changed them from being a potentially good domainer investment, to a pretty bad investment depending on acquisition price. I still hold a few, but my quality threshold has gone up significantly, I think I probably own less than 10 now, while at one point I think I was over 200 and maybe even 300.

A big key for me will be if they scrap the premium pricing .. otherwise I really doubt I'll be bothered to invest in them ever again despite my past success.

Added: lol .. I found this part particularly hilarious as obvious it would make total sense if they want to make more profits! lol
"Paul Bindel, VP Domains, GoDaddy Registrar, said that it wouldn’t make sense for the registrar to treat GoDaddy Registry domains differently than competitors’ domains."

Last edited:
•••
GoDaddy is acquiring Neustar’s domain name registry services business and renaming it GoDaddy Registry, company announced today.

Neustar directly manages .biz, .us, .co, several others. Neustar 12 million domains its platform. They are not acquiring Neustar DNS, DDoS...

This is first time GoDaddy will own a registry.

Full story: DomainNameWire
Good going for GoDaddy.

•••
There are a few changes recently in .biz tld.

-.biz registry was reserving good drops, and some average drops in the last several months , and it was clear they were planning to sell them for high prices, and now they really do. (any buyers?) Why is ddsd.biz registry premium. I would consider as junk except if .com.

-.biz can't be bought or renewed for very low prices. I saw prices as low as $2 last summer. I bought some which would be worth 6 or 7 figures in .com. Normally I would drop and buy again, but this is not possible anymore.

-.biz domains are being developed. I mean among keywords I check, .biz has high developed/registered ratio. So, someone may be promoting .biz recently, maybe by offering it as an alternative when .com is not available.

But not sure how all these affect .biz aftermarket. Maybe Estibot should multiply its .biz appraisals by 100.
When I listed one of my old .biz's at Sedo, Sedo's valuation was > 50K. And probably they were using Estibot. Now its estibot value is only $ 600. beauty.biz was sold for only 400, and Estibot was using this as reference (while beauty.cc was sold 1M (yes it was fake)).

•••
Other registrar could learn from Godaddy strategy to adopt and expand their business and give better solution for the loyal customer globally .

•••
Last edited:
•••
https://www.godaddy.com/tlds/us-domain

I have noticed a slightly higher profile for .us within Godaddy's search function. It always amazed me how far back .us was on the alternative options list.

•••
Is/has .co become the defacto tld after .com or am I reading too much into the comments being made here?

from namebio sale trends, and sale thread on np... i think it becomes quite clear that after .com, its no longer the old tlds like org net etc that are good sales material for domainers.. but rather... it is extensions like .co... io... that have more potential to sell.
I started my step into domaining with a wave of .co domains. I've sold several in the 4 figures. But .co is not any any way comparable to .com.

HOWEVER .. with the clout of GoDaddy it most certainly could be much stronger than it is today. GoDaddy has given .co preferential treatment for ages now .. maybe this was in the making longer than we'd think. But by the very act of giving .co top shelf in terms of marketing at GoDaddy inflates the registrar's value. Seeing a .co recommendation at the top of search results instead of a .com or aftermarket recommendation is a BIG DEAL!

I can't say I'm a fan of Registries and Registrars being under the same roof. But in this case it could help compete against Verisign if they reprice .co to actually be competitive with .com.

All that said I've completely lost interest in .co over the last 18 months or so. Anything but the deep first year discounts really changed them from being a potentially good domainer investment, to a pretty bad investment depending on acquisition price. I still hold a few, but my quality threshold has gone up significantly, I think I probably own less than 10 now, while at one point I think I was over 200 and maybe even 300.

A big key for me will be if they scrap the premium pricing .. otherwise I really doubt I'll be bothered to invest in them ever again despite my past success.

Added: lol .. I found this part particularly hilarious as obvious it would make total sense if they want to make more profits! lol
"Paul Bindel, VP Domains, GoDaddy Registrar, said that it wouldn’t make sense for the registrar to treat GoDaddy Registry domains differently than competitors’ domains."

nothing is comparable to com so no use us even mentioning it.
however this changes nothing co does good for domainers. who knows maybe even tied 2nd with io org net or even better than those.

•••
GODADDY is such a great company that they control all the domains in the world

•••
Last edited:
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back