Dynadot

news GoDaddy to acquire domain sales platform dan.com!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Not a fan of this move. Godaddy becomes more and more a monopoly

•••
I have tried very hard to run away from GoDaddy, but GoDaddy is chasing me like a zombie. Uniregistry... Dan... I keep running in my whole domaining life.

Last edited:
•••
Last edited by a moderator:
•••
Come to Daddy baby..

Screenshot_20220628_212233.jpg

•••
We understand that the first reaction many Dan users have can be a negative one. However, please know that this is not your typical exit.

100% of Dan's employees including management and Reza won't leave the company
and the reason for that is because we're given the chance to do what we do well at a larger scale.

We will build out our vision just with more resources at our disposal which we needed to push forward faster.

Give us some time and we will make our roadmap clearer and when that's in place, we believe the sentiment will turn positive.

Good things are ahead for domain investors!

What a sugar coated reply. You expect us to believe that a company who was your competitor and whose vision is different than yours will give you free hand to do whatever you want? Why don't you just admit that they threw money at you and you picked it.

•••
•••
Sedo, I'm sure you're reading along. Now is the time for serious innovation on your side.

•••
A Rapid progressive company DAN joining hands with a slow moving, old module company, Godaddy. PITY.

•••
DAN! We trusted you, but you deceived us overnight. Old DAN is gone with the wind, completely lost.

•••
•••
•••
whelp this has to be the worst June,April fools joke ever…

Just feels like a slap in the face by Dan, I get it you’ll take the money but come on.. sell it to someone else not godaddy, I would approve of Epik over Godaddy…

F you, Dan!

Edited by moderator to remove vulgarity

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
...one of the most respected brands in domains - Dan.com

Oh yeah, we respect them so much.
not

We've always put our customers first and that won't change. - Dan.com

You sure showed us! How did you know we love getting punked by GD? Now when do we get to hand them more money?

The Dan.com mission aligns well with GoDaddy’s mission to empower entrepreneurs and make opportunity more inclusive for all. - GoDaddy.com

Nothing says empowering entrepreneurs like ripping them off.

•••
We all knew this was coming. I knew the moment I saw Afternic's updated beta this was a certainty.
Say goodbye to low commissions, platform efficiency, excellent customer service and most importantly, lightning fast payouts.
DAN was 1000 better than Afternic will ever be. RIP DAN
It was good while it lasted.

•••
Let's be honest here...

My prediction is nothing changes that much with Dan.com, but the lower commission goes to 20%.

I fail to see the upside here for domain investors.

Brad

•••
Last edited:
•••
•••
Godaddy was furious about 9% commission and immense popularity of DAN, so they offered a hefty sum, a pompous deal that DAN owners cannot refuse to accept. Virtually DAN is killed by Godaddy. A masterstroke by Godaddy to kill the competitor.

•••
In terms of technology, I think Afternic was right to realize that they couldn't get their own vintage platform up to par. Afternic would do well to let DAN's technology lead the way in the future.

Last edited:
•••
I don't see how this could possibly have a positive outcome for the average domainer. It's a shame. Going to start using my own landers again I think.

•••
•••
If Dan.com just turns into Afternic 2.0 I will find another option for my landers. I don't like putting buy it now prices on my better domains, and negotiation via landers is where you yield the best sales.

It is essential that I control my leads on these domains.

I have thousands of priced domains on Afternic, but as far as the others go, I am not going to handle my own leads, negotiation, and also pay 20%.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Sales proceeds from Dan, we used to get it within 24 hours after closing the deal, can we expect the same from Afternic? Certaining No.
Support was instant in Dan, but it takes weeks in Godaddy.
Dan commission was only 9% but we need to pay 20% commission for Godaddy.
Dan has been a dynamic but it is sad it is merging with a static company

•••
Another competitor gone. Worst news for domainers!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back