Dynadot

news GoDaddy terminates hosting of Texas anti-abortion tip website

NameSilo
Watch

branding

Private InvestorTop Member
Impact
AUSTIN, Sept 3 (Reuters) - Website hosting service GoDaddy Inc (GDDY.N) on Friday terminated services for the owner of an anti-abortion website that allows people to report suspected abortions in Texas.

"Last night we informed prolifewhistleblower.com they have violated GoDaddy's terms of service and have 24 hours to move to a different provider," the company said in a statement.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/go...g-texas-anti-abortion-tip-website-2021-09-03/

Edit: the article doesn't mention it but it looks like they moved to Epik.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Scum - hopefully they get constant DDos attacks on their shitty site and hacked.......

•••
Edit: the article doesn't mention it but it looks like they moved to Epik.

One could have almost bet on that.

ofcourse.jpg

But shielding extremism and imbecile ideas is good business, it seems.

Last edited:
•••
Massively bad idea to pick up the business of religious extremists. GoDaddy did their brand a huge favor and Epik will cement their rep as what it is.

•••
Scum - hopefully they get constant DDos attacks on their shitty site and hacked.......

Yes, that's going to happen. Back in the day you would organize a march/protest, nowadays you just hire some kiddies to ddoss your opponent :)

Anyway, agreed, it's insane but for net neutrality I think it's a good thing there are registrars like @epik who don't shy away from being the sponsoring registrar when the website is quite controversial.

I'm not really a conspiracy believer but one day the time will come when law abiding citizens like you and me ( just assuming ;) ) will be in need of a registrar/host who supports free speech.

•••
But shielding extremism and imbecile ideas is good business, it seems.

You're right actually. The market is growing steadily as most big tech is afraid about facilitating politically incorrect websites and content. If you do it right, big business, bulletproof is the future.

•••
I'm not really a conspiracy believer but one day the time will come when law abiding citizens like you and me ( just assuming ;) ) will be in need of a registrar/host who supports free speech.
I agree, apart from the bit about law abiding citizens... cause they'll bring in laws to make the "imbecilic ideas" illegal first I'm sure 😇

I don't agree with their little website, but it's only a problem because these maniac websites give airtime to one side but not the other. I honestly believe that's where this extreme stuff is eminating from or as a result. They want this stuff, keep people fighting and it gives them advertising space to fill.

Last edited:
•••
Yes, that's going to happen. Back in the day you would organize a march/protest, nowadays you just hire some kiddies to ddoss your opponent :)

Anyway, agreed, it's insane but for net neutrality I think it's a good thing there are registrars like @epik who don't shy away from being the sponsoring registrar when the website is quite controversial.

I shared my view on twats thinking it is OK to bully women into not being in control of their own bodies......net neutrality, BS Epik and so called free speech fanatics can do what they want in relation to this thread........

•••
I don't blame GoDaddy.

Regardless of your thoughts on abortion, this law itself is asinine. It basically turns people into vigilantes and gives people standing to sue others in cases that don't even involve them.

Some random person could sue not only an abortion provider, but an Uber driver, and any number of other people. The legal system is not designed to give random people standing that are not involved, or injured in any way.

In theory a rapist could sue a rape victim.

The entire premise of giving standing to unrelated, uninjured parties, is legally dubious and opens up Pandora's Box where this same principal could be abused in countless other ways to intimidate and harass people.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Thank God our system is dependable… “I’ll sue you”

•••
most big tech is afraid about ...

... loosing money > current and future investors / shareholders. That's all. They don't care about *sh* politic or right <>wrong.

Last edited:
•••
I shared my view on twats thinking it is OK to bully women into not being in control of their own bodies......net neutrality, BS Epik and so called free speech fanatics can do what they want in relation to this thread........

Agreed. I share the same views, although not pro abortion, but condemn the fanatics. It's not worth it to get worked up over. It's crazy that law exist imo, like pointed out somewhere above.

Crazy times... Lots of loonies... Beyond the scope of this thread... :)

•••
But what if PROLIFEWHISTLEBLOWER was a dot US?
Godaddy is both the Register and the Registrar of dot US
They could completely kill this web site.
Godaddy should not let their political views interfere with the free speech of other Americans.
Godaddy needs to be thrown out of the registrar and the registry business.
Dot US is the domain for a country that has a First Amendment that guarantees free speech.

Last edited:
•••
But what if PROLIFEWHISTLEBLOWER was a dot US?
Godaddy is both the Register and the Registrar of dot US
They could completely kill this web site.
Godaddy should not let their political views interfere with the free speech of other Americans.
Godaddy needs to be thrown out of the registrar and the registry business.
Dot US is the domain for a country that has a First Amendment that guarantees free speech.

There is certainly a potential conflict of interest when the same company is operating as both a registry and registrar. Technically GoDaddy does not own .US, they are operating it under contract that Neustar had.

It was only recently that the .US extension started allowing the "seven dirty words". http://domainincite.com/23407-us-scraps-fucking-stupid-seven-dirty-words-ban

When it comes to hosting though, there is certainly no requirement that any private company hosts your content. Free speech does not exist on private platforms.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

As a host, I don't blame GoDaddy for quickly ditching a website that is clearly going to be used to intimidate and harass people.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
GoDaddy stated how the website is in clear violation of their TOS.

GoDaddy rule that says website operators may not "collect or harvest (or permit anyone else to collect or harvest) any User Content or any non-public or personally identifiable information about another user or any other person or entity without their express prior written consent." GoDaddy's terms of service also say that customers cannot use the web hosting platform in a way that "[v]iolates the privacy or publicity rights of another User or any other person or entity, or breaches any duty of confidentiality that you owe to another User or any other person or entity."

•••
As a host, I don't blame GoDaddy for quickly ditching a website that is clearly going to be used to intimidate and harass people.

I second that. Like it or not, their house their rules. Can't blame a company for not being willing to host something they don't want to harbour...

•••
Godaddy is leftist;

Recall they shut down the gunforum AR15 too.

No surprise, no time wasted to virtue-signal.

Samer

Last edited:
•••
Epik is the only and best for registrant rights

Thank you, @Rob Monster
Samer

Last edited:
•••
The dot US names are operated, in trust, for the "benefit" of the people of the United States.
Do the people of the United States "benefit" when the trustee ignores the US Constitution
in order to favor their own partisan political views? Do you really want some nitwit
at Godaddy telling you what you can say or can not say on your own web site.

•••
The dot US names are operated, in trust, for the "benefit" of the people of the United States.
Do the people of the United States "benefit" when the trustee ignores the US Constitution
in order to favor their own partisan political views? Do you really want some nitwit
at Godaddy telling you what you can say or can not say on your own web site.

I am confused by how so many champions of the Constitution don't seem to understand it.

The first amendment is not what you think it is. It only relates to the US government.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Your free speech rights don't exist on private property. This includes private companies.
Unless a certain group is protected by law, businesses can decide who they want to do business with.

It is no different than having a BBQ on your property. You invite people over, someone does or says something you don't like...You can ask them to leave. They don't have free speech rights on your property.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Your free speech rights don't exist on private property.

The dot US domains are not the Property of Godaddy. Godaddy is a recorder and record keeper
and have no right to impose their political views on the real owners of dot US domain names.
And the rights of the real owners of domain names is indeed protected by the 1st amendment.
Godaddy's rights to record domain names should be removed for their abusive political bias.

Last edited:
•••
The dot US domain are not the Property of Godaddy. Godaddy is a recorder and record keeper
and have no right to impose their political views on the real owners of dot US domain names.
Godaddy's rights to record domain names should be removed for their abusive political bias.

This has nothing to do with the .US extension. You are just making a theoretical argument.
If GoDaddy blocked a registration of .US you might have a point.

Outside that, as a host, they are not required to host any content.

Brad

•••
As I own mostly dot US domain names, and as Godaddy is both the register and registrar
for dot US domain names, Godaddy's abusive behaver is more then theoretical.
Godaddy is recorder and a record keeper. But Godaddy does not own my domain names.
I own them and my first amendment rights are protected by the US constitution.

If PROLIFEWHISTLEBLOWER.COM has to move to Epik, it is because Godaddy abused
their power and exceeded their authority as a registrar. Godaddy does not own
prolifewhistleblower.com and has no right to interfere with the free speech rights
of any domain name owner.

•••
This is clearly a divisive issue.

The easy decision is to terminate a client.

The harder decision is to investigate the intent of the client, and if appropriate, find compromise.

Where possible, I prefer to rehabilitate rather than terminate.

In this particularly case, the sponsor is the Texas Right to Life coalition. It is a 46 year old institution. The current executive director is the son of the founder with whom I have spoken a few times since last night.

The new whistleblower website they put up was a rather amateur effort. I believe the site created avoidable drama and divisiveness. The choice to use the term "whistleblower" is loaded with baggage and judgement.

Upon careful review, I don't believe this project was a reflection of the highest self of the site operators. Predictably, pro-choice activists quickly spun up stories of "The Handmaid's Tale" and "Gestapo".

The site sponsor recognized that their launch was not going well. They have wisely opted to remove the intake form as it was badly executed and was adding greatly to avoidable polarity.

All that said, they succeeded in creating awareness of the new Texas Heartbeat law that took effect on September 1. Whether that law stands remains to be seen.

Last edited:
•••
Unless you are openly calling for violence or the repression of other people's fundamental rights under the law then freedom of speech should be protected at all costs imo. I disagree with many people but even so they have a right to their opinions.

Last edited:
•••
Back