Domain Empire

GoDaddy phasing out Afternic ns3/ns4 nameservers?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
It's strange. Many of my recently registered or acquired domains at Godaddy have their nameservers automatically changed from Afternic to Godaddy afterward. The change does not have any pattern, and I found the following nameservers used.

ns67.domaincontrol.com
ns68.domaincontrol.com

ns63.domaincontrol.com
ns64.domaincontrol.com

ns01.domaincontrol.com
ns02.domaincontrol.com

Apparently, there is no impact on the Afternic sale landers. They all remain the same as before. Is Godaddy phasing out Afternic ns3/ns4? @Joe Styler @Paul Nicks

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Today I registered 3 domains that were dropped recently. I registered them at Godaddy, then went into the Domain Manager page and set them all to Afternic ns3/ns4. A few hour later, I checked Whois.com and they were all changed -- but to different GD servers, as follows:

Domain1:
ns05.domaincontrol.com
ns06.domaincontrol.com

Domain2:
ns07.domaincontrol.com
ns08.domaincontrol.com

Domain3:
ns73.domaincontrol.com
ns74.domaincontrol.com

So, they were all registered at the same time, but now they point to different nameservers. I still see all three display the standard Afternic sale lander.

•••
Last edited:
•••
In my case the NS appear to be allocated according to either orders/sessions or domain extensions.

•••
In my case the NS appear to be allocated according to either orders/sessions or domain extensions.
All three are .com and registered and then set to ns3/ns4 in bulk at the same time. All of them are now available in Godaddy registration path and their sales landers are the same as ns3/ns4 landers.

Last edited:
•••
We are not phasing them out. If you have a couple domains as an example this is happening to I can have someone take a look. Just a guess - do you have a preset profile setup for when you buy domains that sets your length of domain registration, whois contacts, DNS, etc setup? That would alter your DNS to align with what you selected on the profile for the domains.

•••
If you have a couple domains as an example this is happening to I can have someone take a look
See DM. The interesting thing is that the change to DOMAINCONTROL.COM nameservers does not affect the Afternic lander at all.

•••
I may have solved the mystery. For a Godaddy-registered domain, it looks like that if you list the domain from Domain Manager and also choose to add the lander, the DomainControl.com nameservers are used and override ns3/ns4 if you have set them up before the listing process. It seems to me that the same Afternic lander appears regardless of whether DomainControl.com or Afternic.com is used. If this is true, I can save the step of setting up ns3/ns4 and can rely on the listing process to set up the lander, which is a better option. Can you confirm? @Joe Styler @Paul Nicks

•••
Just had another domain transferred into my Godaddy account a few minutes ago. Its nameservers were

ns1.gm111.parklogic.com
ns2.gm111.parklogic.com

I then listed the domain from Domain Manager and chose to add the lander. Now, the nameservers have become:

ns11.domaincontrol.com
ns12.domaincontrol.com

My conclusion is that Afternic ns3/ns4 are no longer needed in order to use the Afternic lander. DomainContro.com namservers do the same job.

Last edited:
•••
Just had another domain transferred into my Godaddy account a few minutes ago. Its nameservers were

ns1.gm111.parklogic.com
ns2.gm111.parklogic.com

I then listed the domain from Domain Manager and chose to add the lander. Now, the nameservers have become:

ns11.domaincontrol.com
ns12.domaincontrol.com

My conclusion is that Afternic ns3/ns4 are no longer needed in order to use the Afternic lander. DomainContro.com namservers do the same job.
And you can add txt records for whatever purpose.
Thanks.

•••
•••

ns1.gm111.parklogic.com
ns2.gm111.parklogic.com

ns11.domaincontrol.com
ns12.domaincontrol.com

I wouldnt say that. I sent up your examples to have someone look into it.

•••
Another case and more confidence that there is no need to use Afternic ns3/ns4 to display the for-sale GD/Afternic lander.

I have a Godaddy default profile which sets new domains to Afternic ns3/ns4. This morning I hand-regged a domain and listed it from Domain Manager and chose to add the lander. Few hours later, this is what I see now.

- The domain is available in Godaddy registration path with a BIN price.
- Typing the domain name shows the typical GD/Afternic for-sale lander.
- Whois shows the nameservers as ns35.domaincontrol.com and ns36.domaincontrol.com

In other words, GD nameservers are now used to display GD/Afternic for-sale lander.

•••
@Kassey Lee I would appreciate if you didn't keep saying there is no need to use the right DNS. Right now you are lucky they are working. I would not advise people to use the incorrect DNS. There is a need to use the correct DNS the fact that it is still working for you when it should not be doesn't mean you should keep doing it. I had someone check into your account and I will follow up with your PM but it looks to them like you are inadvertently changing to the incorrect DNS in your account. If there is an audit of the DNS which happens from time to time there is a decent chance it will catch it and see the mismatch and break your for sale landers. So it is not a good idea to keep saying it is ok to do this. It is not.

•••
I would not advise people to use the incorrect DNS.
Joe, I do not change the DNS -- at least not intentionally.

I have a default domain profile set up in Godaddy
DNS Control - Enter nameservers:
NS3.AFTERNIC.COM
NS4.AFTERNIC.COM

Take today as an example. I hand-regged 3 domains.
- From the My Domains page, select one of the domains.
- From the Monetize menu, select Domain Listing Service.
- Enter listing price and select to add lander, etc.

During the whole process, I did not manually changed the DNS. But, several hours later, Whois record shows the nameserves are not the default one I set up (NS3.AFTERNIC.COM, NS4.AFTERNIC.COM) but the following.

Ch**********.com
ns49.domaincontrol.com
ns50.domaincontrol.com

Bi*****.com
ns25.domaincontrol.com
ns26.domaincontrol.com

Ov**********.com
ns25.domaincontrol.com
ns26.domaincontrol.com

So my question is: why are my default Afternic ns3/ns3 not used? Where during the listing process were the DNS changed from the default Afternic ns3/ns4 to Domaincontro.com? Thanks.

•••
There is nowhere in the listing process that would change domains from Afternic nameservers to GoDaddy nameservers.

•••
Thanks @Joe Styler for confirming that Godaddy is NOT phasing out Afternic ns3/ns4 nameservers.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back